New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign Continues!

Quote Originally Posted by DM7581 View Post
    I'll make it a greatsword for you!

I will decide what boon is granted, or give you a selection of 2. You can take an ability increase or Feat if you do not like the boon presented to you. Ability score increases can now exceed 20, to a maximum of 30.

The boons I select will be based on your character concept and play style. For example, it is unlikely that a character that does not see much combat get a combat related boon (unless other options are exhausted).

What do you have already? I thought you didn't have an epic boon yet...
    Yep i have boon of resilience have had it quite some time now... perhaps i got it after the master...
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

2. - Top - End - #632
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ketiara View Post
    As Arcivus see Xavier, he rush to him and help him to his feet.
    What happened to you?
    "When I tried to teleport Kyle and I from Chromaticus' lair we somehow were sent to what I believe was the elemental plane of air. There, we met a benevolent giant named Sezgon and a Solar who told me he was the last of his kind. They granted us sanctuary for a day until I had the power to teleport us here."

Xavier Alexis has gained an Epic Boon.

3. - Top - End - #633

Ooc. Ummmm. Did I advance level? I just rp.

"Xavier! The defect in your cloned body is beginning to show. Rapid aging was made known to us soon after we created it, but we didn't have time to address it.

I have already discovered the formula for eternal vigor. Though it only works fully on me because of my alchemical aspects.

However, I can attempt to use this discovery to at least slow down the aging process, perhaps until a more permanent cure is found.

I also have detailed diagrams of the CHARM system: short for the Charismatic Handicap Active Restoration Mechanism.

Come to the lab and we will begin immediately. Summon Artemis and Teleroth!"

4. - Top - End - #634

"Very well. Thank you Dr. Nimm."

I follow Dr. Nimm's instructions.

5. - Top - End - #635

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Alexis View Post
    "When I tried to teleport Kyle and I from Chromaticus' lair we somehow were sent to what I believe was the elemental plane of air. There, we met a benevolent giant named Sezgon and a Solar who told me he was the last of his kind. They granted us sanctuary for a day until I had the power to teleport us here."

Xavier Alexis has gained an Epic Boon.
    "Solar? Did you say Solar? As in the right-hand angles of the Gods themselves?"

Arcivus is very eager in his speech and want to know all... but

"Did you say the last of his kind?"

Knowledge check, how did these angles interact with Heironeus?
    Show

6. - Top - End - #636

"Yes, his name is Eratheol and he told me the alliance between the demons and the devils has led to the near extinction of the Solars."

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Rest and XP!

It becomes apparent that Xavier's teleport failed since the power is useless in trying to traverse across planes. Chromaticus' Demi-plane ultimately collapsed and spilled any of its contents across neighboring planes. Dr. Nimm figures that any of the 4 elemental planes are likely destinations, but the planes of shadow as well as any of the lower planes may also be destinations for those who were unlucky enough to get stuck. Case in point, Leena and Reli, who are yet to surface.

Xavier's story of his encounter with the giants and lone solar are quite shocking. It is no wonder that Christopher has been the way he has been. Arcivus has also recently felt a disconnect with the divine realm. Strangely, their powers, through their faith remain, though they seem to wane (loss of 9th level spells). There are so many questions that arise: what is happening to the gods? Is there a force in the realm that can stand up to the combined might of devils AND demons? What is their ultimate goal?

The legions of the undead continue to be a nuisance, though word is now that King Crassus has arrived on the main continent within the past few days. Some say that he has completely populated the entire island that houses his kingdom. There was surely much wilderness left unexplored if not left to the wild. Is it possible that he settled the entire island?

He is said to have taken camp at the nearby village (where you all fought the dracolich). Rurik, Arcivus' mentor and now friend, was last headed to join his forces. Christopher felt compelled to join in the fray as well, or at least you think. He hasn't been quite the same as of late.

The Holy Avenger appears as a long sword, but after attuning to the item, it gradually forms to that of a weapon favored by you. Congrats! Arcivus has claimed the Holy Avenger. Stats are in the DMG, but let me know if you need them.

Dr. Nimm, I appreciate the fluff and RP, but what do you have in mind in trying to slow/reverse Xavier's aging process?

Arcivus and Dr. Nimm should gain enough XP for an Epic Boon. Actually much more. As a rule, excess XP will only carry you over to the midway point for the next advancement (I never played to go up to needing 1 more XP to advance). Here is the current XP standings:

Arcivus:
    400,000/415,000
    Epic Boons: Resilience
    Available (choose 1): Combat Prowess, Fortitude, Recovery, Ability Score Increase (2 points, 30 max), any Feat

Dr. Nimm:
    550,000/565,000
    Epic Boons: Immortality, Skill Proficiency, Invulnerability, Ability Score Increase (Int), Fortitude
    Available (choose 1): Magic Resistance, Recovery, Spell Recall, Ability Score Increase (2 points, 30 max), any Feat

Xavier*:
    580,000/595,000
    Epic Boons**: Immortality, High Magic, Invincibility, Irresistible Offense, Spell Recall, True Sight, ASI (Cha)
    Available: N/A

*currently unable to advance in Psionic form
    **Epic Boons currently unavailable in Psionic form
    Last edited by DM7581; 2017-04-12 at 01:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There are... or were 24 known Solars. Each was assigned or created by a god to serve that gods purpose. They cannot procreate and are basically only able to be created by powerful divine magic. There would have been 1 that served Heironeous, though not even the most pious of clerics would actually ever know their true name. The one in question may be following a god (or was) or could have simply been one of the few who were not under the directive of a deity.

I gave Xavier ample time to role play it out and he never bothered to ask...
    Last edited by DM7581; 2017-04-12 at 01:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Ongoing quests/events

This is posted in the first page, but I wanted to update what has happened thus far:

Spoiler: Pending Quests
    Show

The Dragon Gods: It all started with the assault on The Academy. The chromatic dragon followers of Tiamat and their crazed human worshipper, Skylla, acquired the Orbs of Dragonkind and attempted a ritual to bring her back to the realm. Bahamut himself intervened, as a new dragon deity, Chromaticus was accruing power, weakening Tiamat. You were all charged with converting this clutch of dragons back to Tiamat. Along the way, the silver Orb of Dragonkind was stolen by a follower of Chromaticus. You are not sure where they reside, but there may be a stronger organized group of dragons somewhere out there. As for Chromaticus, he is not yet a deity, which implies that he exists somewhere on the prime material plane, his form or origin still unknown.
    COMPLETE!

Strained Magic: Something in the realm has affected how magic works, with the most powerful of magic (9th-level spells), becoming effectively non-functional. This raises an eyebrow for obvious reasons, but especially in how it has limited both divine and arcane magic. It was suspected that bringing Kaine's soul back from the clutches of the fiends would remove this limitation, but it seems to have had no effect.
    UPDATE: Xavier's psionic form is proving unstable and Kaine remains in a comatose state.

Guardian's Past: Guardian, the Warforged warrior along with his psionic friend, Ridion were awaken from having been entrapped over 1000 years ago. They were betrayed by Nehlrus, a premier champion of their day as well as another mysterious figure speculated to now be the mighty lich known only as The Black Scourge. Teleroth Baine, a "good" lich claims to be preparing for his return, as he claims, The Black Scourge is his father. Nehlrus has returned, now an undead champion, and even claimed the Sword of Kas, a powerful, evil artifact. You all suspect that this quest and the undead threat (Call to Arms, below) may be tied in somewhere.

Dying Gods: It has been mentioned by creatures of reasonable power that the gods have been fading in their strength. With the hysteria of the undead threat and the conflict among the dragon deities, this has come to no surprise, but this has been especially taxing on both Christopher, who has experienced direct communication from Pelor, the "main" god of the realm (opposite to Nerrull on the good-evil axis) and Arcivus, a prime champion of Heironeous. Pelor "dying" would mean certain doom for both the weak and the champions of good across the realm. All of faith have experienced a dimming essence from their deities, but are usually loathe to speak of it, let alone accept it.
    UPDATE: An encounter with a being who claims to be the last remaining solar is alarming as a deity's strength is measured by their followers and champions.

Call to Arms Against the Undead: King Crassus of Cypress has issued a call to arms for all willing and able warriors to join his cause, as an undead epidemic has spread across the realm. It has been said that he has secured the entire island of the Kingdom of Cypress and has arrived upon the mainland. Rurik, among others, was last heard to be joining his ranks.
    UPDATE: Christopher took leave from the group to join Crassus' ranks against the undead.

Tribal Woes: Bear Ghost has returned to his tribe to finally pursue his destiny in furthering their glory. They have shifted from proud and powerful followers of Kord toward savage and ruthless followers of Chromaticus. Even the Orcish leadership was overthrown when clans of giants were united by a powerful troll chieftain. He is yet to defeated in single combat, with the winner claiming mastery over the clan. Bear Ghost means to change that, as his first encounter was nullified, interrupted by the meddling Dr. Nimm, who tried to sabotage the fight by poisoning the chieftain. The princess Titania and her Lion companion Leandro were taken captive by the troll chieftain, as a spoil of war, as she is the last of the Mountain Lion tribe, which were allies of Bear Ghost's Wild Jaguar tribe. All other tribes in the vicinity have either been conquered and assimilated (this one is thousands strong) or entirely wiped out. Garyxkilla has recently won leadership of the tribe, upsetting Bear Ghost even further.
    UPDATE: Bear Ghost has reclaimed his tribe, but little has been heard from him since.

Alchemical Rival: Vyncis Nere, an old acquaintance of Dr. Nimm appeared abruptly with an airship of his own, to once again pester Nimm's work. He was ultimately embarrassed when his minion fell to Nimm's and took his leave, but how he found you and what he may be up to remains cause for suspicion.

Again, we are open world, so feel free to explore any other endeavor. Trouble may find you eventually if you do little more than sit around...
    Last edited by DM7581; 2017-04-13 at 09:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #640

Since I designed Xavier's clone, I look through my notes and process trying to identify the problem. I also do a thorough exam of Xavier to add to that data.

Obviously, aging so quickly is abnormal. Therefore,there must be a problem somewhere. I consult Ridion (or whatever the psionic guys name is) as he was the one who did the transfer. Also I look through the Tome.

Will have to work double time to also locate Leena. I try to see if Artemis, being a diviner, can work on finding Leena while I work on Xavier.

Teleroth can oversee the final phase of the airship.

If Xavier is supposed to age for story purposes, then I'm good to move on and turn my attention to the airship.

"Egads! And where is Leena and Reli? I'd assumed the ranger and her wolf were merely camouflaged in the periphery, or perhaps rangering about outside... Whatever it is they do there. Does Leena howl along with Reli? I'm curious. Anyway, we must locate them."
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2017-04-14 at 09:30 AM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Nimm View Post
    Since I designed Xavier's clone, I look through my notes and process trying to identify the problem. I also do a thorough exam of Xavier to add to that data.

Obviously, aging so quickly is abnormal. Therefore,there must be a problem somewhere. I consult Ridion (or whatever the psionic guys name is) as he was the one who did the transfer. Also I look through the Tome.

Will have to work double time to also locate Leena. I try to see if Artemis, being a diviner, can work on finding Leena while I work on Xavier.

Teleroth can oversee the final phase of the airship.

If Xavier is supposed to age for story purposes, then I'm good to move on and turn my attention to the airship.

"Egads! And where is Leena and Reli? I'd assumed the ranger and her wolf were merely camouflaged in the periphery, or perhaps rangering about outside... Whatever it is they do there. Does Leena howl along with Reli? I'm curious. Anyway, we must locate them."
    Ha! Everything is for plot and story purposes.

Your exam of Xavier does reveal some information, however, especially with many of the notes you have scribbled onto the Tome of the Keeper... you think to yourself whether or not you actually ever scribbled these notes, but it does look like your handwriting, so you think little of it.

Basically, a soul (or in your case more like a consciousness, you godless heathen) requires an appropriate body to function. That is simple enough. In this case, Kaine's body was ritualistically destroyed (this is before you entered the campaign, or right when you did) so that he could not be restored to his full self, even through a True Resurrection spell. This happened when the first wave of devils and demons assaulted The Academy. They basically ignored everyone else and slew him right then and there. There were a number of Balors AND Pit Fiends working together on this, which is very rare, but right inline with what Xavier just explained earlier.

His soul was then held captive in one of the lower planes, but Xavier and Arcivus, with the help of Fell, descended and reclaimed his soul. This, however, was guarded by the Master that you all faced. You ultimately overcame the legions and used Xavier's body to house Kaine's soul. Kaine and Xavier are twin brothers, so this was thought of having a very marginal chance of success, but with the combined efforts of Teleroth (a master of life, death, and undeath), yourself (who created a suitable body through cloning in order to house Xavier), and Ridion (who empowered the new body with psionic energy (since the arcane/sorcereous ability would be lost in a new body), the experiment was actually a success.

There would be side-effects, you all imagined, but since nothing like this had ever been performed, it all would be based on ongoing observation. It seems that the rapid aging is at least one of these side-effects.

Now, the notes in the Tome detail that although Xavier is housed in a psionic body, his true essence remains in fact of the arcane. Your prime suspicion is that psionic energy and arcane energy, at this level (20th in game terms, high mastery[?] otherwise) simply cannot peacefully co-exist. Basically, something has got to give. In this case, it is his body. Ridion tends to agree, as the process itself was extremely taxing as he tried to have Xavier "unlearn" what he knew about magic whilst imparting both psionic power and knowledge into his mind and body.

Kaine remains comatose, yet he lives. Probing his mind yields nothing, but at least he is safe from whatever nefarious plans the fiends had for him...

And one more thing.

Through experimentation observation, you have noticed that 8th level spells have too become inaccessible. You can still use the slot (for a lower level spell), but the loss of 9th evel spells has now fallen too to 8th level spells. This is confirmed to have happened for both arcane (wizard, sorcerer, etc.), and divine (clerical, druidic, etc.).

--

Artemis uses his magic to locate Leena and finds out that she was last cast into the elemental plane of water, but has lost contact with her and Reli. He says that something may be blocking his divinations, and that he was unable to locate any landmarks or locations that would narrow down the search. She is a survivor, however, so you are all confident that you have not seen the last of her. At least you hope.

12. - Top - End - #642

Ok. Any way I can slow the aging?

"The airship is equipped for undersea travel and is nearly complete. We must find Leena with all haste!"

13. - Top - End - #643

"Dr. Nimm, is it possible to create another vessel my "soul" can successfully inhabit? Perhaps a construct like a golem until a more permanent solution can be created."

14. - Top - End - #644

I can certainly craft any sort of body you wish. Perhaps even enhance it to be physically superior than your current one.

However, transferring your consciousness into it is beyond my purview. Alchemy, alas, deals only with matter.

I once heard about a boy alchemist whose soul got trapped in a suit of armor. A curious case...
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2017-04-20 at 03:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There is little that you all can do but wait some things out. Dr. Nimm spends the next few days trying to correct Xavier's body, but to no avail. He is aging rapidly, at the rate of at least a year or so per day by Nimm's calculations, maybe even faster. 5 days pass and the airship is just about complete. Only finishing touches (decals and rims...)

Arcivus has bonded with the Holy Avenger and remains in prayer due to the information regarding the Solars' plight.

Xavier grows increasingly nervous as his body continues to falter while his brother Kaine shows no signs of recovery.

Artemis continues to search for Leena and Reli, to no avail. It seems peaceful. Peace does not last too long, however...

Spoiler: PICK YOUR FEATS/BOONS!
    Show

I do not recall anyone telling me what they select. Let's have it.

Arcivus:
    400,000/415,000
    Available (choose 1): Combat Prowess, Fortitude, Recovery, Ability Score Increase (2 points, 30 max), any Feat

Dr. Nimm:
    550,000/565,000
    Epic Boons: Immortality, Skill Proficiency, Invulnerability, Ability Score Increase (Int), Fortitude
    Available (choose 1): Magic Resistance, Recovery, Spell Recall, Ability Score Increase (2 points, 30 max), any Feat

Xavier*:
    580,000/595,000
    Epic Boons**: Immortality, High Magic, Invincibility, Irresistible Offense, Spell Recall, True Sight, ASI (Cha)

On the 6th day, you are all in your respective labs continuing to try to figure out Xavier's ailment. Arcivus is out in the courtyard, in prayer and practice.

A ghoul is seen hobbling back to the keep, dragging its leg, it noticeably damage. Arcivus, you see this and it immediately worries you, as you had taken notice of the patrols coming in and out and know for a fact that there was more than this one ghoul.

He flies through the entry of the keep toward Teleroth's private lair.

Teleroth soon joins you all in the labs.

Teleroth: It seems as if my minions have spotted a war party of giants and other beasts... headed this way. For what reason I do not know. There was a mechanical creature of sorts with them... I fear that you all have brought upon much more attention to my keep than I would have wished, though I know that it is for the greater good... (hesitates)

Dr. Nimm. I have enjoyed our chats together. I wish to entrust you with this ancient family heirloom. Please guard it with your life (he hands you a golden medallion of Wee Jas, goddess of death and magic - there seems to be some sort of inscription on the back that you are unable to attend to just yet). Come. We have visitors to attend to...

Siege on the keep take 2. First fiends, now this.

You come out to the courtyard and hear the inevitable approach of troops. Amidst the tree line, they emerge. A few hill giants, quite number of ogres, some trolls. Many orcs. Very reminiscent of Bear Ghost's tribe, actually, but they are lead by a large humanoid, riding a black steed with flaming hooves. His armor is black as well, and with him, a small entourage of undead.

This is going to be a medium/large scale battle. I might use some of the optional mass combat rules here for the minions, but just play as you would normally.

As you see the troops approaching, Teleroth commands his minions to the front.

Teleroth: We are outnumbered... but not outmatched!

Ridion: No... that warrior. Nehlrus! Why has he come! How!?!

You all have a few rounds to prep a small strategy as they approach. Get in some role-play and think of a plan of attack/defense. The nearest troop is some 200 feet away. You are all at the entry to the keep, inside the walls, but Teleroth's forces are massing at the walls to intercept. The airship is at the back, so it is out of harms way.

Dr. Nimm is curious about the mechanical creature that was spotted...
    Last edited by DM7581; 2017-04-29 at 07:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646

SolithKnightGuy

There is little that you all can do but wait some things out. Dr. Nimm spends the next few days trying to correct Xavier's body, but to no avail. He is aging rapidly, at the rate of at least a year or so per day by Nimm's calculations, maybe even faster. 5 days pass and the airship is just about complete. Only finishing touches (decals and rims...)

Arcivus has bonded with the Holy Avenger and remains in prayer due to the information regarding the Solars' plight.

Xavier grows increasingly nervous as his body continues to falter while his brother Kaine shows no signs of recovery.

Artemis continues to search for Leena and Reli, to no avail. It seems peaceful. Peace does not last too long, however...

Spoiler: PICK YOUR FEATS/BOONS!
    Show

I do not recall anyone telling me what they select. Let's have it.

Arcivus:
    400,000/415,000

Dr. Nimm:
    550,000/565,000

Xavier*:
    580,000/595,000

On the 6th day, you are all in your respective labs continuing to try to figure out Xavier's ailment. Arcivus is out in the courtyard, in prayer and practice.

A ghoul is seen hobbling back to the keep, dragging its leg, it noticeably damage. Arcivus, you see this and it immediately worries you, as you had taken notice of the patrols coming in and out and know for a fact that there was more than this one ghoul.

He flies through the entry of the keep toward Teleroth's private lair.

Teleroth soon joins you all in the labs.

Teleroth: It seems as if my minions have spotted a war party of giants and other beasts... headed this way. For what reason I do not know. There was a mechanical creature of sorts with them... I fear that you all have brought upon much more attention to my keep than I would have wished, though I know that it is for the greater good... (hesitates)

Dr. Nimm. I have enjoyed our chats together. I wish to entrust you with this ancient family heirloom. Please guard it with your life (he hands you a golden medallion of Wee Jas, goddess of death and magic - there seems to be some sort of inscription on the back that you are unable to attend to just yet). Come. We have visitors to attend to...

Siege on the keep take 2. First fiends, now this.

You come out to the courtyard and hear the inevitable approach of troops. Amidst the tree line, they emerge. A few hill giants, quite number of ogres, some trolls. Many orcs. Very reminiscent of Bear Ghost's tribe, actually, but they are lead by a large humanoid, riding a black steed with flaming hooves. His armor is black as well, and with him, a small entourage of undead.

This is going to be a medium/large scale battle. I might use some of the optional mass combat rules here for the minions, but just play as you would normally.

As you see the troops approaching, Teleroth commands his minions to the front.

Teleroth: We are outnumbered... but not outmatched!

Ridion: No... that warrior. Nehlrus! Why has he come! How!?!

You all have a few rounds to prep a small strategy as they approach. Get in some role-play and think of a plan of attack/defense. The nearest troop is some 200 feet away. You are all at the entry to the keep, inside the walls, but Teleroth's forces are massing at the walls to intercept. The airship is at the back, so it is out of harms way.

Dr. Nimm is curious about the mechanical creature that was spotted...
    Arcivus chooses boon of recovery.

What does Arcivus know about Nehlrus? I would imagine him a General of some sort, so I guess Arcivus has some knowledge of him.
    Can we get the layout of the keep, with walls and defensive points, Arcivus would have a clear strategy for defending a keep like this. Well to be honest Im sure Arcivus always make defensive plans wherever he is.

"Teleroth, what defensive spells and traps do you have around this place? Where do we fallback to if we loose control of the situation? Where do you position yourself, and do you plan on casting any spells?"

"Nimm, how long will it take to get the Airship off the ground? And is it capable of attacking and defending itself in a situation like this?"

"Xavier, are you up to the task?"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #647

Arcivus chooses boon of recovery.

What does Arcivus know about Nehlrus? I would imagine him a General of some sort, so I guess Arcivus has some knowledge of him.
    Can we get the layout of the keep, with walls and defensive points, Arcivus would have a clear strategy for defending a keep like this. Well to be honest Im sure Arcivus always make defensive plans wherever he is.

"Teleroth, what defensive spells and traps do you have around this place? Where do we fallback to if we loose control of the situation? Where do you position yourself, and do you plan on casting any spells?"

"Nimm, how long will it take to get the Airship off the ground? And is it capable of attacking and defending itself in a situation like this?"

"Xavier, are you up to the task?"
    "I certainly hope so. First, I can strategically place myself somewhere within the ranks of the war party. Then, I can attempt to influence some of the weaker minded creatures so they will fight for us. Just give me the word."

18. - Top - End - #648

Dr. Nimm's interest in the Wee Jas amulet is at this point more archaeological rather than religious. Unfortunately,there is no time to examine either aspect.

First, I cast aid at level 7 to Kyle, Arcivus, and Xavier. (3 ppl right?) "Take these vitamins. They will fortify your constitution!"

"Xavier, do not undertake risky maneuvers. First, we need reconnaissance, or we are but blind mice.

Artemis! Use your clairvoyance and give us their formations, capabilities, and numbers. Only then can we properly counter their siege! I would like to know what this machine is that they bring.

Arcivus, no one is a greater student of war. You should lead the ground minions and coordinate defenses! You are our shield.

Where is Ridion and (the Warforged _____, the Dwarf Paladin____)?

Xavier! Leave your plans flexible until we have more information. For you are at your best when you can improvise.

Teleroth, do not send your minions out too far. Let them come to us. Can you send a crew to man the airship and have it ready for takeoff? What is the state of your siege engines?

(For Kyle:)

Kyle, I believe the best use of your talents is a counter-spy. Prowl the edges, assassinate any scouts, spies, or outriders that stray from the main force. If you can sabotage their supply train or siege engines, or create confusion in the ranks, do so. You seem like someone who is comfortable working alone. Is this correct?

However, err on the side of caution. Do not take unnecessary risks. Here : (I pass him my supply bag of mundane Alchemy: bombs, alchemist fire, acid, flash pellets, smoke bombs, poisons, healing potions, caltrops, and similar items).

Also, I place my capable familiar under your command. Use him as a scout, messenger, or decoy, and do not fear for his safety too much. Reviving him is a fairly simple process. Besides, Rupert 5.0 has been literally useless to me. Rupert 3.5 was much better. If you wish to work alone, I would like Rupert to observe you from an inconsequential distance. At the very least he can run back and lead a rescue party to you should you find yourself surrounded or otherwise distressed. Rupert, go with Kyle at once! Pip pip!

Mr. Benson! Remain with me!"
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2017-05-01 at 08:50 AM.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Battle Tactics!

Arcivus:

Nehlrus is the former warrior companion of Ridion, Guardian (the Warforged), and Azereus. He was allegedly tempted by the Black Scourge and slew Azereus, while confining both Ridion and Guardian to some sort of cursed state. Xavier had acquired some mysterious elemental orbs that freed Ridion and Guardian, but the orbs' true purpose was never revealed...

Teleroth: Indeed there are defenses! My skeletons are positioned atop the keep walls and serve as archers. The ground forces are composed mostly of zombies (you see plenty of humanoid and a couple of ogre-sized/monster zombies) and a few packs of ghouls (usually lead, independently, by a loyal ghast-- a more powerful/intelligent ghoul. Strangely, you have never seen any undead greater than the ghasts...). In order to coordinate them properly, I will need to be at the front. I trust you will join me... (he heads off on foot to ward the inner gate and calls out for his minions to gather).

Xavier/Dr.Nimm (the Dwarf Paladin is not with you all, but has last joined Crassus' forces. Fell also left shortly after returning from the lower planes some time ago):

Artemis and Ridion add in here.

Ridion: I too may be most useful in helping sway some of the lesser minds, though, I fare better at a distance. I will join the ranks of some of the archers in the tower (inner wall). Guardian (the Warforged), you are best equipped to join in with Arcivus. Follow his lead.

Guardian: Agreed.

Artemis: Excellent idea, Dr. Nimm. I will see exactly what we are up against so that we have a better idea how to counter. I will be in the tower opposite Ridion (Ridion on the right tower, Artemis on the left tower).

Kyle: I am not sure that your... pet will be able to remain unseen. Of course, once I engage, that idea is out of the window. If he can stay a little behind me, can he warn you if I am in trouble?

Mr. Benson stomps along.

Remember that there are some undead to the SW near the airship, doing some finishing touches. You may be able to man it, but you haven't acquired and trained an appropriate crew. The airship will require about 10 bodies to properly operate.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2017-05-03 at 06:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Dr. Nimm!

Dr. Nimm starts to ramble orders, but it seems slightly incoherent. You all generally get the drift:

Rupert follows Kyle far away, just to warn us if something happens.

Ask the group/Teleroth opinion re: arranging squad leaders in back, so the lesser minions absorb first wave.

Teleroth: I will work best at the front with my minions. There are no squad leaders. The archers (skeletons) will fire from a distance. My forces will strike at the left side. I recommend that only those who can easily weather poison join me...

Tel: have minions keep airship engines warm in case.

No one really knows how o operate it except you. Artemis might be able to figure it out with a quick instruction. If you want to take some ghouls, they can serve as a basic crew for now, but there might be some... complications. They will not tun on you (they have been instructed to obey), but they are simply not trained properly and are not likely to be able to learn how to man an airship at all.

Everyone else: hold up till we get report from Artemis

Artemis yells down from one of the towers with a report.

Artermis: They are now within long range. Archers should start to be able to make contact... I do not see a machine, so we will see if there are other waves. A few have surrounded the keep, but they are mostly just orcs. A few ogres. The main threat-- the giants and the leaders-- are coming in upfront. We are outnumbered about 2-1. The troll chieftain from Bear Ghost's tribe is one of the leaders, alongside Nehlrus. I will support with spells from here and retreat only if necessary.

--

Suddenly a number of boulders are flung into the the inner wall towers where both Artemis, Ridion, and the skeleton archers are. You can hear he whistling of the rocks as the fly overhead, smashing into the stone as debris falls from above! The hill giants have taken first swing! There is moderate damage to the structure, but no losses just yet in troop count.

The monsters are coming in mixed waves of orcs, undead (skeletons, zombies, ogre zombies), ogres, trolls, and hill giants. The troll chieftain, Numvulk seems to be leading the ground forces. His adviser, Thazgat, an ogre mage, remains safely behind the first wave.

A small number of mixed troops (all undead) remain at the very rear, near the tree line, with Nehlrus. There looks to be 2 elite undead warriors at his side, one an ettin giant, the other a skeletal orc.

Guardian: Korgash (the skeletal Orc) and the other is known as Grumgor and Dungrock (the left and right ettin head, respectively). Nehlrus found many an ally amongst the giants and orcs. These were their leaders. It looks like he found a way to bring back his old companions as well. Be cautious with that trio.

The hill giants took the surprise round. Let's get initiative going.

--

Initiative!

Kyle: 24
    Mixed Wave 4: 22
    Ridion: 20
    Dr. Nimm: 18
    Skeleton Archers: 16
    Xavier: 14
    Kyle (again!): 14
    Mixed Wave 2: 12
    Mixed Wave 3: 11
    Numvulk: 8
    Undead Minions 2: 8
    Mixed Wave 5: 7
    Undead Minions 1: 6
    Artemis: 4
    Guardian: 4
    Teleroth: 3
    Mixed Wave 1: 3
    Nehlrus (minions): 3
    Arcivus: 1
    Thazgat: 1

--

Kyle runs off to protect and scout the perimeter. Done.

Mixed Wave 4 closes in within about 30 feet of the inner wall. A volley of ranged rocks, javelins, and other projectiles come your way! Each hill giant attacks one of the towers. One misses wide, but the other strikes dead on, doing serious damage to the structure and taking out a skeleton. This is the tower that Ridion is in. He focuses his attack on one of the two the hill giants in the group with a psionic blast for 29 damage.

The other mobs are moving forward. This one has 2 hill giants, 2 trolls, 4 ogres, 7 orcs, 3 zombies, 2 ogre zombies, and 8 skeletons. You lose only 2 zombies here from your forces, as their attacks were wild and mostly ineffective. I will let you know how the general flow is, since it is unrealistic (and tedious) for you all to know exact numbers unless they are in front of you.

Arcivus gets struck by a stray arrow for 3 damage.

Dr. Nimm, you go. Remember that now both 8th and 9th level spells do not work, though you can still use your slots to power lower level spells.

--

HP/Status:

Arcivus: 201/204
    Dr. Nimm: 183/183
    Xavier: 162/162

21. - Top - End - #651

"Ack! I can't see. Curse these tall races. Mr. Benson, initiate... shoulder battle platform!" (A little stand with a strap pops out on Benson's upper back, he picks me up and places me on it. Is that even allowed? W/e).

Northeast chain lightning on hill giant, ogre, and 2 trolls. 42 DMG

Fire bomb to hill giant same one: 30 hit 21 DMG.

"Teleroth, how about moving the faster ghouls on the flanks? More maneuverable." (Are ghouls faster than zombies? ).

"Focus fire that hill giant! If you have potent area of effect, use it on the waves!"

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Exclamation Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign Continues!

"Ack! I can't see. Curse these tall races. Mr. Benson, initiate... shoulder battle platform!" (A little stand with a strap pops out on Benson's upper back, he picks me up and places me on it. Is that even allowed? W/e).

Northeast chain lightning on hill giant, ogre, and 2 trolls. 42 DMG

Fire bomb to hill giant same one: 30 hit 21 DMG.

"Teleroth, how about moving the faster ghouls on the flanks? More maneuverable." (Are ghouls faster than zombies? ).

"Focus fire that hill giant! If you have potent area of effect, use it on the waves!"
    The skeletons here your command and focus on the hill giant (all 26 of them). Arrows fly, some bouncing off the giant, others flying wide, and yet others striking true for 43 damage. He is tough, but staggers back slightly due the onslaught. The backward stumble continues and he finally toppled backward, with a loud crash! One giant down!

Xavier, you go!

23. - Top - End - #653

The skeletons here your command and focus on the hill giant (all 26 of them). Arrows fly, some bouncing off the giant, others flying wide, and yet others striking true for 43 damage. He is tough, but staggers back slightly due the onslaught. The backward stumble continues and he finally toppled backward, with a loud crash! One giant down!

Xavier, you go!

"Well done! Now, target the other Giant!"

As my reaction, I manifest Shield if I am the target of an attack.

As my bonus action, I activate Psionic Flight and levitate until I have a clear line of site to the remaining Hill Giant. If possible, I will take advantage of any cover the keep has to offer.

As my standard action, I activate Psionic Attack Mode: Mind Thrust and attack the Hill Giant.

Attack roll: 16+12 = 28

Damage roll: 27+6 = 33

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Alexis View Post
    "Well done! Now, target the other Giant!"

As my bonus action, I activate Psionic Flight and levitate until I have a clear line of site to the remaining Hill Giant. If possible, I will take advantage of any cover the keep has to offer.

As my standard action, I activate Psionic Attack Mode: Mind Thrust and attack the Hill Giant.

Attack roll: 16+12 = 28

Damage roll: 27+6 = 33
    The giant staggers back after your blast and curses you. You are able to levitate and move slightly behind the right tower, granting you partial cover from any incoming attacks.

Kyle is out of sight at this point. Nimm gets no word yet from the familiar...

The next 2 waves of monsters close in... you are all peppered with arrows, boulders, and javelins! Of note, 3 more hill giants join within range, so there are 4 large targets. There are also additional ogres and trolls that may prove to be a nuisance. Xavier s struck for 7 damage, despite his cover, but no one else is seen to be harmed. Teleroth's forces on the left seem to be taking some heavy losses, while the undead on the right seem to hold steady.

The giants' boulders continue to strike at the towers, with the left tower finally giving! A number of skeletons crumble under the debris as does Artemis, though he seems much better off. They are all prone, however.

Numvulk, the Troll chieftain enters the fray, easily cutting into the undead forces holding off on the right. He is within 30 feet of most of you and particularly eyes Dr. Nimm. Apparently he hasn't forgotten the poisoning stunt you pulled on him during his fight with Bear Ghost.

Teleroth's forces advance into the mix, but the enemy forces seem to hold them off without much effort.

Artemis rises and hits the northeastern side with a Chain Lightning spell, frying a number of greater and lesser troops. He targets the giants and trolls. They are injured, but still standing.

Guardian moves forward to engage Numvulk.

Guardian: Arcivus, this might take the 2 of us!

He moves in and casts Greater Invisibility, vanishing from sight. He then attacks as a Bonus Action (at advantage), inflicting 20 damage.

Legendary Action!

Yes, he still has these. Numvulk retaliates against Guardian, swinging wildly in trying to hit him, but misses in frustration.

Teleroth advances his forces and casts Cloudkill within his immediate area. He and his undead are immune, but the same cannot be said about the giants and orcs. His spell does 18 damage to most of the troops. You can see a number of orcs fall as a result.

Nehlrus and his troops seem to hang back, advancing very slowly.

Arcivus, you go!

--

Initiative!

Numvulk: 8 (20 damage)
    Guardian: 4 (Greater Invisibility)

--

HP/Status:

Xavier: 155/162

25. - Top - End - #655

"Teleroth, don't advance your forces. Use the keeps defenses to advantage!"

26. - Top - End - #656

SolithKnightGuy

The giant staggers back after your blast and curses you. You are able to levitate and move slightly behind the right tower, granting you partial cover from any incoming attacks.

Kyle is out of sight at this point. Nimm gets no word yet from the familiar...

The next 2 waves of monsters close in... you are all peppered with arrows, boulders, and javelins! Of note, 3 more hill giants join within range, so there are 4 large targets. There are also additional ogres and trolls that may prove to be a nuisance. Xavier s struck for 7 damage, despite his cover, but no one else is seen to be harmed. Teleroth's forces on the left seem to be taking some heavy losses, while the undead on the right seem to hold steady.

The giants' boulders continue to strike at the towers, with the left tower finally giving! A number of skeletons crumble under the debris as does Artemis, though he seems much better off. They are all prone, however.

Numvulk, the Troll chieftain enters the fray, easily cutting into the undead forces holding off on the right. He is within 30 feet of most of you and particularly eyes Dr. Nimm. Apparently he hasn't forgotten the poisoning stunt you pulled on him during his fight with Bear Ghost.

Teleroth's forces advance into the mix, but the enemy forces seem to hold them off without much effort.

Artemis rises and hits the northeastern side with a Chain Lightning spell, frying a number of greater and lesser troops. He targets the giants and trolls. They are injured, but still standing.

Guardian moves forward to engage Numvulk.

Guardian: Arcivus, this might take the 2 of us!

He moves in and casts Greater Invisibility, vanishing from sight. He then attacks as a Bonus Action (at advantage), inflicting 20 damage.

Legendary Action!

Yes, he still has these. Numvulk retaliates against Guardian, swinging wildly in trying to hit him, but misses in frustration.

Teleroth advances his forces and casts Cloudkill within his immediate area. He and his undead are immune, but the same cannot be said about the giants and orcs. His spell does 18 damage to most of the troops. You can see a number of orcs fall as a result.

Nehlrus and his troops seem to hang back, advancing very slowly.

Arcivus, you go!

--

Initiative!

Guardian: 4 (Greater Invisibility)

--

HP/Status:

My turn is described in messenger, hope that will suffice :)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My turn is described in messenger, hope that will suffice :)
    Alright, someone asked me to assist him in taking down a big guy, I'm gonna assist hi, and I move towards the big guy he asked me to attack, but before I move a I cast Holy Nimbus (awesome aura, turning me into a near celestial being, causing dam to everyone within 30 ft of me) And as I move I use my bonus action to cast shield of faith on myself

(edited)

--

Arcivus maneuvers through the crowd. There is ample space, so no opportunity attacks. He faces off with the chieftain alongside Guardian.

Numvuk takes a legendary action and swings onto Arcivus, seeing the bright holy light, as a nuisance. The Shield of Faith spell grants just enough a bonus to turn the swing into a miss! He snarls in frustration as he whirls around his sword.

Thazgat moves through the troops, seeing the bright light. As a matter of fact, most if not all of the enemies see it too. Way to cause a scene.

He waves his hands and throws up a Wall of Fire, about 10 feet behind Arcivus and Guardian, blocking them off from the rest of the group. The wall is about 20 feet high and around 50-60 feet across. It is hot enough to inflict 13 damage to Arcivus and 25 to Guardian. A number of undead and miniosn on both side are fried. A few bodies drop. Fortunately, the invisible Guardian groans, but maintains his concentration on his Greater Invisibility spell.

More waves of minions (group 4) move in, the giant, trolls, and ogres making short work of many of the undead minions. Teleroth's forces continue to dwindle, but still stand.

Ridion focuses his energies into his crossbow and looses a bolt toward the Ogre Mage, looking to disrupt his spell. Unfortunately, the shot misses wide.

Thazgat notices this and takes a (legendary) action to let off a fireball atop the right tower. A number of skeletons are lost and Ridion takes a solid 13 damage, as he ducks down and evades the bulk of the blast.

Dr. Nimm, you go. Let me know if you need clarification.

--

Initiative!

Ridion: 20 (13 damage)
    Guardian: 4 (Greater Invisibility, 26 damage)

--

HP/Status:

Arcivus: 188/204

28. - Top - End - #658

"Teleroth, let Archie and Guardian distract Numvulk. Let us concentrate our forces on Thazgat. It is folly to allow a mage to run amok!"

Action : Ready an action to cast disintegrate on Thazgat interrupting his next spell.

Bonus action: as a decoy, I throw a blinding bomb at Thazgat (if it's con save) or Numvulk (if wis save)

27 to hit 14 damage.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Teleroth, let Archie and Guardian distract Numvulk. Let us concentrate our forces on Thazgat. It is folly to allow a mage to run amok!"

Action : Ready an action to cast disintegrate on Thazgat interrupting his next spell.

Bonus action: as a decoy, I throw a blinding bomb at Thazgat (if it's con save) or Numvulk (if wis save)

27 to hit 14 damage.
    Sorry for the delay. Out of town for the holiday weekend.

Blinding Bomb will be a Con save, so Thazgat it is. The bomb hits and momentarily blinds the shaman.

I never spelled this out, but I will say that the bomb conditions end at the end of the creatures turn. For any action he takes, he will be blinded.

The skeleton archers reload and target the next giant, at Nimm's command. He is peppered with arrows, taking a combined 56 damage! He groans, in obvious pain, blood dripping down its massive body, but still stands.

This goes to Xavier. Go!

--

Initiative!

Ridion: 20 (13 damage)
    Guardian: 4 (Greater Invisibility, 26 damage)

30. - Top - End - #660

As my standard action, I activate Psionic Attack Mode: Mind Thrust and attack the injured giant the skeleton archers just hit with arrows.

Attack roll: 13+12 = 25

Damage roll: 19+6 = 25