New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

smile 3.5 Melee and Magic: Plucky rebels vs. Tyrannical Five

OOC
    When I post, for sake of convenience I will have IC (In character) or OOC (Out of Character) prior to the paragraph of info. Most of my IC posts will be a "narrator describing the plot line and refreshing general updates from previous posts. If a new NPC takes an action I will give a name, race, general description the first time, in addition to the action performed, all later entries will be listed simply with NPC (Name):(Action specifics). During "narration" any information that should affect combat/skill checks will be bolded. Unless they have a specific name all npc characters will NOT be gestalted.

Things needed for story line, after addressing post below: A group name

IC
    The rebels after a small discussion decided their best course of action was to pursue a faction of the enemy army that was traveling to safer areas to rest. They managed to sneak within 100' of the camp from the south, without being detected. After peering around a large section of boulders they confirmed that the enemy contingent was resting for the night, the low light atmosphere was provided by the fading sun and groups of fires throughout the camp. The enemy had come to rest in dry riverbed, roughly 50' wide and about a mile long, both sides of the river bed met with sheer stone walls close to 40' high. The ground is flat and smooth, covered with dirt and light gravel. The enemy force roughly 100, consists of 40-50 goblins, 10 -15 hobgoblins, 20 -30 orcs and 20- 30 half-orcs. All members of this group looked injured and fatigued. There are 4 guards (Orcs) on the south side of the camp, each is armed with 3 javelins and a great axe. Beyond them are 10 campfires with 6-8 figures around each fire, usually 4 goblins, a half orc and 2 orcs. There are 3 tents, one the commanders tent, one a medical tent, and the third is the supply storage area.

OOC
    Skill DC(s)
    Hide: 12 once within 60', +1 per 10 feet closer
    Move Silently: Same as hide
    Knowledge nature: 15 reveals that the there is nothing present to give rebels direct advantage environmental advantage besides higher ground on the cliff sides.
    Climb check: Walls require 20 to manuver up, DC +2 on hide/move silently while climbing.

Goblin Enemy AC: 17 Total, 15, Flat footed, 13 Touch
    Hobgoblin Enemy AC: 16 Total, 14, Flat footed, 12 Touch
    Half Orc Enemy AC: 16 Total, 14, Flat footed, 12 Touch
    Orc Enemy AC: 16 Total, 14, Flat footed, 12 Touch

DM Note: I believe I have provided everything necessary for combat to begin. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: 3.5 Melee and Magic: Plucky rebels vs. Tyrannical Five

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    If I might offer a few suggestions : I think it would be a good idea to open an independant thread in the OoC subsection, preferably with a link to the IC thread in the first post (a link to the various character sheets is also a must). Basically, haing a place to banter without any need to stay in character is good for morale. Also, to ask questions even when it's not your turn to post.

Ok, that was really one suggestion.

"Well, that's a lot of orcs."

Cylian was watching from a distance the encampment, still not quite believing he was now officially in a full-scale resistance movement. Sure, he had been thinking things had to change for a long time, but since someone came to him to offer him the chance to strike back at the Tyranny, things have been going incredibly fast. Now he was in a group he didn't know, about to attack a small army with a handfull of comrades. Definitely a strange turn of events.

Pulling a wand from his bag, he discreetly casted supporting magic. Something told me they would need it if they were to survive this encounter.

"So, strike them hard, strike them fast?"

That seemed like the safest bet. If the initial assault was chaotic enough, panic might do most of the work for them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cylian casts Shield and Heroics (Cleave) (from eternal wand) on himself. Extra attacks are a must when facing 100+ opponents.
    Even if the battle doesn't start immediately, I'm pre-rolling my initiative : (1d20+4)[5]
    Last edited by Macros; 2015-12-01 at 01:53 PM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Bah Orcs, tha scourge o' tha mountain."

Helli not the most tactful of fighters is ready to head straight into battle at a moments notice, anything to help put an end to the tyrannical rulers. Deciding to follow suit with Cylian he takes a second to gather himself. Raising his wielded Tower Shield and Waraxe as high as he could and a very disgruntled face, a crackling sound like the sound of popping knuckles. Two extra arms slide out from Hellis' body.

"I be ready ta go in head first if ye be willin' ta follow. If ye are goin' stealth I will need ta hang back a bit. I also haf' 'nother spell I'd like ta cast if we head straight in."

Helli taps his shield and mountain plate with his Waraxe noting he's ready to fight.

Spoiler: Spell
    Show
    Cast Girallons Blessing
    Last edited by KuramtheWicked; 2015-12-01 at 03:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Joining his group, Altanit listened to their opinions on the battle ahead, at the same time using a wand to cast a spell on himself.

I can summon my draconic steed and survey the camp, if the need arise, or we can just charge them, even if it's not the best tactic...

He stopped for a moment, looking around himself and glancing at the river.

Show

He takes the Wand of Primal Hunter, thinking of using it
    Last edited by CozJa; 2015-12-02 at 05:11 AM.
    Does this poster have a sign?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

"I believe Lucky and I are also ready for a fight. Leave the bigger ones to me."

Zytier looks on the encampment, disappointed at the number of enemies. The upcoming battle will be chaotic with so many bodies, and he would much prefer a simpler battle. Still, he knew that it must take place, and he would take his part in the battle. He made note of the location of the commander's tent, intent on ensuring he was struck down in the slaughter. Now calmed by the fact that he had a goal, he was ready for the upcoming battle.

"We'll stay behind Helli. Make sure the commander doesn't escape."

With one last glance at Lucky, who nodded reassuringly, he readied his crossbow for the battle to come.

Spoiler: Initiative, just in case
    Show
    [roll]1d20+7[/roll]
    EDIT: Not quite sure how to use the forum roller. Init is a 15
    Last edited by black-jack; 2015-12-01 at 03:41 PM.
    Even the luckiest men have an ace up their sleeve.

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

[QUOTE=Macros;20142428]
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    If I might offer a few suggestions : I think it would be a good idea to open an independant thread in the OoC subsection, preferably with a link to the IC thread in the first post (a link to the various character sheets is also a must). Basically, haing a place to banter without any need to stay in character is good for morale. Also, to ask questions even when it's not your turn to post.

Ok, that was really one suggestion.

Thanks! Below please find the OOC thread for this campaign, I have stated that others besides players can post and ask questions, I can remove this if as a group you would like it, also considered using "votes" for future "Pick one of three option" this again is with player approval, as this is for fun. Also is the style of "narration that I am using acceptable"?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...nical-Five-OOC
    Last edited by Silverphantasm; 2015-12-01 at 05:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius' keen eyes looked over the area, surveying it. He was finally getting to fight against those that decided that he was a good person to threaten. The dunderheads. His voice was soft, in the interest of not alerting the nearby encampment.
    "Good heavens. That's certainly quite a few maniacs. Have I mentioned that I dislike large battles?"
    He frowned lightly.
    "I'm rather indirect, myself, but I suppose I might as well go the direct route if all else are in favor. I believe a quick healing over time spell once we begin should do the trick, as far as my personal defense goes. Once everyone else is finished with their preparations, we can simply charge them."
    -~-~-~-

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
    Niccolo Machiavelli.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Altanit looked at Marius, then talked again.

"Our friend here spoke truly: there are a lot of enemies and while I'm sure we can easily beat them, a less... direct approach could be better.

He stopped for a moment, glancing at his other companions.

"If one of you is alble to render me invisible, I could call my mount, fly over the encampent and cast on them a powerful storm, that could be a sufficient distraction to guarantee the first strike..."

"What do you think about it?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Also, prerolling Initiative!

(1d20)[13]
    Last edited by CozJa; 2015-12-02 at 05:12 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

"Sounds good? But I'm afraid I can't help with invisibility."

Cylan tried to look confident, but couldn't help but feel a bit out of place. Everyone around him looked experienced and assured, like they had done this kind of stuff dozens of time already, while he was quite unsure of what to do. What business someone like him had fighting a war? Holding back a sight, the young elf tried to stand a little taller. He would have to wing it, he supposed. As usual.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Helli a little disgruntled that were not just charging headlong into the encampment, but recognizes the advantage that this could do for us.

"Aye if ye cou' do tha it'd be wonderful, although I kinna cast invisibility on ye. I be open ta other of ye suggestions."

Looking at the sentry guards specifically.

"We'd bes' focus on tha guards first. If ye need I ken sneak behin' em by diggin'."

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20-2)[11]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius sighed, and softly said "I'm also incapable of using invisibility, unless you count the invisibility derived from certain illusions. I could disguise you, but they would likely still shoot on sight. Perhaps... I could create an illusion of an foot thick sheet of mist thirty feet above the ground, covering most of the area. It would prevent them from seeing you, and also leave them less hasty to think the storm out of place, while still disorganizing them."

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Initiative: [roll0]
    I knew that improved initiative would be handy

Edit: Goodness, that thing is finicky. How does it even do that? Make that a 16, in any case.
    Last edited by Bobbybobby99; 2015-12-02 at 04:58 PM.
    -~-~-~-

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
    Niccolo Machiavelli.

12. - Top - End - #12

PaladinGuy

"But wouldn't that put them on guard, even if a bit, which is something we do not want? I mean, I know I'd be a bit surprised if mist suddenly showed up."

This was harder than he thought. Truth be told, none of his plans were ever that complex. If it was the right thing, he did it, and would deal with the consequences later. Always worked out for him, though he supposed that hen working with other people, things were different.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

13. - Top - End - #13

Chimera

"Well, it appears none of us are prepared with invisibility. Perhaps a distracting illusion, to draw their attention elsewhere?"

Zytier was itching for the fighting to begin. It had been a while since he had struck a meaningful blow against the enemy, and he didn't want the opportunity ruined by stalling or overly complicated plans.

"We must decide quickly what we are going to do, or we could miss our opportunity. Something quick and simple."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius shrugged slightly, and spoke "Well, I can maintain the illusion for as long as I concentrate, so I could make it roll in over around a minute, which is a tad quick, but, well, they're Orcs, Goblins, and shades thereof. Not the brightest bunch. They'll be rather disturbed by the sudden storm anyhow. Does anyone object to the 'Mist then Storm then Charge' idea?"
    Last edited by Bobbybobby99; 2015-12-02 at 05:45 PM.
    -~-~-~-

Niccolo Machiavelli.

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

The band of rebels prepare themselves for their onslaught against the enemy faction. Using the cover of night they launch a surprise attack, the enemy completely disarrayed by the appearance of a focused group of combatants stares dumbstruck as the rebels follow their surprise attack by beginning combat in earnest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: 7

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Naereth

Naereth hovers, quite literally mind you, next to the others as they plan out their attack on the... something...? Oppressors! They were fighting an army of the Oppressors, but it seemed like it would be a long and messy fight. Well, good thing he had bound Buer this morning, her healing would come in handy after the fight. As the other's speak, Naereth slowly spins until his is upside down, revealing that his feet are hooves today instead of his normal feet. He then continues to slowly spin until he is right side up. "Alright, times up. Let's get started, I don't have all night to... to... What was I doing?... Ah right! Fighting! We're fighting now."

With that said, Naereth floats 30 feet closer to the guards and unleashes a bolt of eldritch energy at one of the guards directing the blast with his scepter.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+6)[7]

Move action: draw scepter and move 30ft.
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+9)[12]
    Damage: (5d6)[14]

17. - Top - End - #17

Chimera

Zytier watches Naereth with mixed feelings, pleased by his initiative but unsure if he has any idea of what he is doing. Regardless, it was time to take action.
    "Looks like the fighting's begun. Let's go Lucky; we don't want to miss out!"

He moves within 60' of the guards remaining close to Naereth, and begins aiming his crossbow. These things take time; he never rushes the perfect shot. After steadying himself, he exhales slowly, firing a bolt at one the guard closest to him. He inched closer as he reloaded his crossbow, knowing that he needed to work his way to the commander as soon as possible.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Surprise Round: Begin firing crossbow as a full-round
    On init: Finish firing crossbow, reload as a move, 5-foot closer
    To-hit:(1d20+12)[24]
    Damage:(2d8+10)[14]*2
    Last edited by black-jack; 2015-12-02 at 08:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Helli brandishes his Dwarven Waraxe with three hands and tower shield with another, moves towards the enemy and casts another spell. Conjuring what looks like a bunch of daggers circling him.

"This be more like it. Nae need for plans, straight inta battle."

He makes it to about 25 feet away from the enemy.

Show
    Cast Ring of Blades
    Last edited by KuramtheWicked; 2015-12-02 at 09:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Surprised by the sudden decision, Altanit decides to throw away any hesitation "Fine by me, let's bring down this idiots!"

Trying as best as he can to aim rightly, he started to concentrate on the far side of the encampment, chanting arcane words of power.

Spoiler: Spells
    Show

Surprise Round: casting Sleet Storm on the far side of the encampment; DC 20 duration 8 rounds
    Last edited by CozJa; 2015-12-03 at 02:35 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

PaladinGuy

Joining the fray, Cylian incanted his magic. Suddenly, he and his allies felt lighter, their spped considerably picking up. The spell would soon wear off, but in the meantime, it would increase even more the damage they could cause.

Spoiler
    Show

Surprise round : casting Haste on everyone.
    So, +1 attack, +1 AC, +1 reflex, one more attack when full attacking, and +30ft speed for the next 6 rounds. Have fun.

Normal round :
    I actually react after the ennemies. Yes, my init roll was that bad.
    Last edited by Macros; 2015-12-03 at 02:50 AM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

As the rebels begin their attack, the enemy camp is thrown into disarray, due to the clever thinking of Altanit, the far side of the camp, including the commanders tent was now covered in a column of sleet. With the one side of escape seemingly closed off many of the orcs and goblins turned and bowled their companions over as they rushed towards the south, the distinct lack of camaraderie usually displayed by armies was made obvious as orc bowled goblins in the fires in their haste to move, the screams of those succumbing to the flames rang throughout the small valley.

The Southern end of the camp was equally rife with noise, due to the actions of Zytier and Naereth two of the four guards lay bleeding on the ground in unconscious heaps, the other guards jerked with the sudden appearance of the rebels and the collapse of their fellows. After a few seconds hesitation the larger of the two raised his head and shouted (in orcish) "Ambush! Ambush!" Turning his head back to the approaching enemy he snorted first with anger, then fear. He saw 5 figures approaching him, the first a wretched dwarf wielding a shield taller than he was, and carrying a war hammer with 3 arms, behind him he saw a figure floating in mid air, in the faint light he could see 3 others, but couldn't make out the details of their appearance. He growled and raised his weapon determined to kill the mutant dwarf, roaring with rage he charged directly at the dwarf swinging his great axe with all his might.

Meanwhile the camp behind the guards was slow to react, most were either drunk or sleeping and barely managed to stand and draw their weapons in the interim.

Spoiler
    Show

Guard (B)
    Full round action:
    Target: Helli
    Charge Attack: (1d20+4)[23] (Power attack of -3 included)
    Damage: [roll]1d12+12[/roll]

1/2 of the rest of the camp:
    Move action: Stand up and draw weapons
    Last edited by Silverphantasm; 2015-12-03 at 12:47 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I think we'll really a map at some point.

Forgetting his initial hesitation, Cylian ran to meet the opponents, his blade spontaneously coating itself in flames. Then, he jumped into the thick of the action, trying his comrades to carve a path toward the commander.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift action : burning a level 2 slot to power Arcane Strike
    Move action : going wherever I canengage two ennemies at once
    Standard action : attack (1d20+13)[17]
    Damage : (1d8+11)[13] plus (2d4)[4]

Free action (if first opponent dropped) : attack (1d20+13)[32]
    Damage : (1d8+11)[13] plus (2d4)[5]
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Helli just laughs as the Orcs attack hits his shield and just clangs off with a loud bang.

"Didja think tha cat scratch wou' hurt me."

Taking his three arms and gripping his waraxe Helli brings his axe down on the Orcs head.

Spoiler: Attack+Damage
    Show

Attack: (1d20+14)[25]
    Axe Damage: (1d10+12)[20]
    Ring of Blades Damage: (1d6+3)[7]

If he kills the Orc Helli decides to push forward into the wade of war inviting any goblins, half-orcs, and orcs to attack him.
    Last edited by KuramtheWicked; 2015-12-03 at 01:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

A B C D E F G H I J K L
    1 O G O H G O G
    2 H O G O G O G
    3 G O G H O G O
    4 H O G O G O G
    5 O G O H G O G
    6 O G O H G O G
    7 G O G G O H O
    8 O H O G O G G
    9 G G O G O H O
    10 O H O G G O G
    11 G O G H O G O
    12 G O G H O G O
    13 G O G O G O H
    14 O G O H G O G
    15 G O G O G O H
    16 G O G H O G O
    17 Cylian
    18 O
    19 O
    20 Helli

Initiative Table
    Player Value
    Naerath ?
    Zytier 15
    Helli ?
    Atlanit ?
    Badguys 6
    Cylian 5

For those whose init isn't listed, I apologize but can't seem to find the value. The grid map will be updated in terms of numbering rows and columns for easy adjustment, I plan on letting everyone be able to copy and update it as they desire, else we can move to a battleship system of "Row X column Y" that I'll update after each post session.
    Last edited by Silverphantasm; 2015-12-03 at 06:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Chimera

Feeling bolstered by the spell Cylian cast, Zytier swiftly made his way into the camp, keeping an eye out for the commander.

"He's got to be around here somewhere," he muttered to himself as he prepared another shot. Removing the commander quickly could end this fight just as quick, and Zytier was eager to end the chaos.
    "We'll just have to be patient, won't we Lucky?"

Show

Move: Move to J19
    Standard: Begin full-round action for attack

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Altanit sprints into the battle, multiplying his image to distract and demoralize his enemies, than he draw his sword.

Show

His Initiative is 13

He casts on himself mirror image (1d4+2)[5] and goes to E18 with his sword drawn

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverphantasm View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

For those whose init isn't listed, I apologize but can't seem to find the value.
    Helli's Initiative was 11 and Naereths was 7 So i believe it is Zytiers turn in Initiative order.

"Ya nasty creatures need to just die!"

28. - Top - End - #28

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

A B C D E F G H I J K L
    1 O G O H G O G
    2 H O G O G O G
    3 G O G H Cmdr G O
    4 H O G O G O G
    5 O G O H G O G
    6 O G O H G O G
    7 G O G G O H O
    8 O H O G O G G
    9 G G O G O H O
    10 O H O G G O G
    11 G O G H O G O
    12 G O G H O G O
    13 G O G O G O H
    14 O G O H G O G
    15 Helli G O G O G O H
    16 G O G H O
    17 Cylian
    18 Altanit(6) O

Initiative Table
    Player Value
    Zytier 15
    Atlanit 13
    Helli 11
    Naerath 7
    Badguys 6
    Cylian 5

As the rebels ambush the enemy camp, they are greeted with success as 3 foes fall victim the the party's wrath. Helli slew an orc and gleefully moved towards the larger force calling out for a challenge. Cylian quickly followed suit taking advantage of his mastery of both sword and spell he dispatched a smelly goblin with a crackle of arcane energy, and as the force of his blow carried past his foe he added to it and brought his blade to rest in the chest of an Orc, whose blood sprayed out in a crimson mist. Determined to maintain the advantage Altanit invoked copies of his form, know to enemy eyes they faced not 5 foes, but 10. As the battle began in earnest Zytier continued on his path towards the commander (I3).
    Last edited by Silverphantasm; 2015-12-07 at 03:10 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Chimera

Spoiler
    Show
    You forgot to put me in square J19 on the grid.
    Also my spot check to locate the commander, if it's necessary: (1d20+24)[37]

"There's the prize"

Zytier had finally located the commander. There was some distance between the two, but he was ready to finish him off. He continued to steady his weapon, keeping his eye on the commander, and loosed a bolt. He watched the bolt fly forward, striking true, and reloaded his crossbow.

"If that didn't finish him, this next one will."

Show
    Standard: Finish full round action attack to hit the commander
    Attack roll: (1d20+11)[23]
    Damage:(2d8+10)[16]*2
    Move action: Reload
    5-ft step to J18

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Helli seeing that he's not surrounded on all sides decides to 5-foot step to C-14 so that he nearly is surrounded. Gripping his Dwarven Waraxe tightly with his three arms he brings the axe down on the orc in front of him.

"Ye ugly brutes go back home ta yer mommies."

Helli is engrossed in the battle being surrounded by enemies.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    Attack Against Orc [roll0]
    Damage [roll1]
    Ring of Blades: All adjacent characters damage [roll2]
    Last edited by KuramtheWicked; 2015-12-07 at 04:06 PM.