New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

Spoiler: "...you're going to do something illegal again!" "Only mildly."
    Show
    -Widdershins

Not exactly a hardened criminal, but someone who doesn't mind going outside the law when the situation calls for it. Or maybe a criminal who is trying to work with someone more law abiding.
    Spoiler: "None can kill the thiefking! When death came for me, I stole back my life from his very grasp."
    Show
    -Widdershins

New gold standard for the rogue archetype right here.
    Spoiler: "But do we have any sort of a plan...?" "Plan?" "Hoi, you're not meant to be hear-" {CRRK!} "Mostly I plan to do that a lot."
    Show
    "Sounds good t' me." -Widdershins

Prepared, but not in the sense of everything is carefully laid out. Instead they just make sure they have some problem solving... tools on hand.
    Spoiler: "Stage magic, you mean.." "Exactly! Real magic, not that stuffy wordy nonsense."
    Show
    -Widdershins

I just love this idea, because it so clearly explains what a magician might be doing among wizards and sorcerers.
    Spoiler: "Impudent ceiling! Out of my way!"
    Show
    -Widdershins

Some people just think the world revolves around them.
    Spoiler: "We will endeavour to break less expensive items next time."
    Show
    -Widdershins

I find the contrast between minimising collateral damage and accepting that it is going to happen interesting. An element of an optimistic or caring outlook but enough experience to know that things are not going to go perfectly.
    Spoiler: "I don't make trouble.." "Yer, well. I do." "Wait, what are you planning?" "T'make trouble. Y'gonna help or what?"
    Show
    -Widdershins

A proud trouble maker.
    Spoiler: "Yet ye're following me." "To make sure you don't do anything stupid." "PFEH! Good luck wi' that."
    Show
    -Widdershins

A determined trouble maker.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    Spoiler: "...you're going to do something illegal again!" "Only mildly."
    Show
    -Widdershins

Not exactly a hardened criminal, but someone who doesn't mind going outside the law when the situation calls for it. Or maybe a criminal who is trying to work with someone more law abiding.
    Spoiler: "None can kill the thiefking! When death came for me, I stole back my life from his very grasp."
    Show
    -Widdershins

New gold standard for the rogue archetype right here.
    Spoiler: "But do we have any sort of a plan...?" "Plan?" "Hoi, you're not meant to be hear-" {CRRK!} "Mostly I plan to do that a lot."
    Show
    "Sounds good t' me." -Widdershins

Prepared, but not in the sense of everything is carefully laid out. Instead they just make sure they have some problem solving... tools on hand.
    Spoiler: "Stage magic, you mean.." "Exactly! Real magic, not that stuffy wordy nonsense."
    Show
    -Widdershins

I just love this idea, because it so clearly explains what a magician might be doing among wizards and sorcerers.
    Spoiler: "Impudent ceiling! Out of my way!"
    Show
    -Widdershins

Some people just think the world revolves around them.
    Spoiler: "We will endeavour to break less expensive items next time."
    Show
    -Widdershins

I find the contrast between minimising collateral damage and accepting that it is going to happen interesting. An element of an optimistic or caring outlook but enough experience to know that things are not going to go perfectly.
    Spoiler: "I don't make trouble.." "Yer, well. I do." "Wait, what are you planning?" "T'make trouble. Y'gonna help or what?"
    Show
    -Widdershins

A proud trouble maker.
    Spoiler: "Yet ye're following me." "To make sure you don't do anything stupid." "PFEH! Good luck wi' that."
    Show
    -Widdershins

A determined trouble maker.
    I guess you've been reading Widdershins recently.

Probably a very slim chance though
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Sheesh 8Bit, don't go making assumptions just because it has been the ad banner for a week. ... Does everyone see the same adds on this site? Because that is the one I have been seeing for a while (before I did an archive run on it actually).

It is one of those comics/stories that just seems to generate quotes you can build a character off of.* I'm not sure what it is, something in the writing style. It is not quality, not general quality at least, because I have read/watched/played fantastic stories that have generated all of 0 quotes that qualify and have read so-so stories that have generated ridiculous amounts of quotes. I suppose there might be terrible stories that generate good quotes too, but I don't read those.
    *For some reason I suddenly feel it should be quotes you can build a character from.
    Which leads to a different question that I have been thinking about recently. What makes a good quote you can build a character off of?

I was going to say they have to be about a character, but that isn't exactly true. Sure quotes that directly speak of a character work well: "I am from the beginning to the end, a crescendo." and so do others about say philosophy also work: "Violence is not the answer. Violence is the question. The answer is yes." OK, that might quite be philosophy but it says something about one's outlook, which is very close to identity. But you can also get a lot out of information out a snippet about something very different: "Did you punch the head of the thief's guild?" "Yes sir." "Why?" "Didn't have a knife sir." On the other hand sometimes quotes about a person don't give that... seed from which you can make a character: "I'm a carpenter."

Similarly I don't think quality is enough, there are some very good quotes that don't say much about a particular person. "If you love something, let it go. If it comes back its yours. If it doesn't it never was." I think this is a nice quote about love, but if you asked for a character from it I got some kind of romantic and that is about it.

So that leaves us with... not a whole lot. Which is part of the reason that I've been thinking about it recently, if I could pin it down I would have stopped. You can make a character from almost any quote but some... just seem to lead more naturally into a character. Other times I look at a quote and just know that... this is someone, even if it takes me a while to figure out who that is. The last example of that I can think of is "Don't worry, I'm the reason the monsters hide in the closet."

That is what I have so far on the matter.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Sheesh 8Bit, don't go making assumptions just because it has been the ad banner for a week.
    Calm down boss, I didn't mean to be discriminatory, I'll change my adist ways.
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Join the A-Team?

They'll never let me in, I can actually hit a target
    You'll be perfect then I'd assume
    Hmmm don't know if your making joke. Anyways less deep introspection and more chainsaws.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    You'll be perfect then I'd assume
    Hmmm don't know if your making joke. Anyways less deep introspection and more chainsaws.
    I think the joke is that the A-Team are known for their memetic level of inaccuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

7. - Top - End - #307
    Pixie in the Playground

"The body of a dead enemy always smells good." - Charles IX

The character I just created for a new Pathfinder campaign is a tiefling, and when I saw the Soul Seer variant racial ability which allows you to use Deathwatch at will, my whole character snapped into focus right there. I remembered a coat of arms for (I think I remember it being) a scottish clan with a bloody dagger on it and the gaelic motto "I mak sikker" (I know I'm not spelling that correctly so apologies to any gaelic speakers here), meaning "I make sure." I seem to remember the accompanying story being one of a king or prominent commander being slain and a member of this clan that was there stepping up with his dagger to poke the corpse and say the line because he wanted to be damned sure the guy was dead, and apparently it stuck, although it's been at least twenty years or so since I read about it so some of the details are a little fuzzy in my head. Now I have a new character who takes professional pride in sweeping the battlefield after a combat to find any opponents who are faking or might still be stabilized and 'making sure.'
    Never believe a wizard is dead until you have personally seen him killed at least twice.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back its yours. If it doesn't it never was." I think this is a nice quote about love, but if you asked for a character from it I got some kind of romantic and that is about it.
    A character who is very much for freedom and against possessiveness in relationships. Might have been hurt in the past, such as from being 'possessed' by an overly attached girl/boyfriend. Or maybe just read one too many romance novels.

Such a character could go the other extreme, and refuse to take any action or put in any amount of effort towards relationships, in the mistaken belief that a 'real' relationship will work out magically for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vwrt View Post
    I seem to remember the accompanying story being one of a king or prominent commander being slain and a member of this clan that was there stepping up with his dagger to poke the corpse and say the line because he wanted to be damned sure the guy was dead,
    "True adventurers burn the corpses and scatter the ashes in water!"
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-05-16 at 09:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    A character who is very much for freedom and against possessiveness in relationships. Might have been hurt in the past, such as from being 'possessed' by an overly attached girl/boyfriend. Or maybe just read one too many romance novels.

Such a character could go the other extreme, and refuse to take any action or put in any amount of effort towards relationships, in the mistaken belief that a 'real' relationship will work out magically for them.

"New adventures open the door. Someone who's done a few quests will check the door for traps. Experienced ones will be checking the ceiling."
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    "New adventures open the door. Someone who's done a few quests will check the door for traps. Experienced ones will be checking the ceiling."
    This is why.
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-05-16 at 10:04 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    I think the joke is that the A-Team are known for their memetic level of inaccuracy.
    @VKnight: It was supposed to be a joke for this very reason

12. - Top - End - #312

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Amateurs. REAL adventurers burn the corpses and chuck the ashes in a Sphere of Annihilation (or failing that, Limbo, the Negative Energy Plane, the heart of a sun, or the nearest available substitute). That's the Sigil way!

Speaking of which:

Malone: What are you prepared to do?
    Ness: Everything within the law.
    Malone: And then what are you prepared to do?

Malone: You want to get Capone? Here's how you get him. He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way, and that's how you get Capone! (replace location, target and method as appropriate)

Both from The Untouchables, naturally.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2016-05-16 at 12:21 PM.
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

Just saw Captain America: Civil War, so I have to post one from the movie.

"I don't know if you've been in a fight before, but there's usually not this much talking." -Falcon

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    There are Old Characters and there are Bold characters, but there are very few Old and Bold characters.
    Cautious and crafty veteran adventurer.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

"What's in the box?" -Samuel L. Jackson

Every adventurer ever

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

A-Team Vs. Stormtroopers: which one is the worst shot?

anyways, trying to make up quotes for a character who can be morose without being annoying:

"Oh. Somethings gone wrong. I knew it."

"It'll all end in tears. It always does, for somebody. Preferably my enemies, but thats never a guarantee."

"Its depressing how saving the entire world has become something normal for us. In a better world, we wouldn't need to."

"Another trap. When you think about it, its kind of sad what it says about people that they design such elaborate means to just keep others out."

"No, I don't feel guilty for their deaths, they were completely evil. But in a better world, there would be no such thing as completely evil. Says something about the world, doesn't it?"

"I won't give up, mostly because whether you give up or not, things will end in tears either way, so at least try to accomplish something until then."

"Sigh......don't make me kill you. I just want to relax for a while. No? Oh well, its your death."
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    A-Team Vs. Stormtroopers: which one is the worst shot?
    The A-Team. At least the Stormtroopers did hit every once in a while

18. - Top - End - #318

Honestly, the Stormtroopers accuracy isn't that bad by mook standards. It's not their fault they have to go up against people who can deflect their shots and who the universe is literally biased towards.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, the Stormtroopers accuracy isn't that bad by mook standards. It's not their fault they have to go up against people who can deflect their shots and who the universe is literally biased towards.
    That, and there's that theory floating around that the Stormtroopers are actually competent and we just happened to keep seeing them when they were either disadvantaged or under orders to NOT hit things.

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

This reminds me of a joke I've heard: What happens when a bunch of Stormtroopers battle with a bunch of Star Trek Redshirts?

Spoiler: Answer
    Show
    The Stormtrooper miss every shot, but the Redshirts die anyways.

Anyway, on topic:

"If someone doesn't mature by age 50, they don't have to."

The older guy who still knows how to have fun.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

“Hey, kid, you did quite well… It looks like you may be gaining some slight skill… But you have defeated only my phantom… When you fight the real me, it won’t be so easy! What a worthless creation that ghost was! I will banish it to the gap between both dimensions!!”- Ganondorf, Ocarina of Time

A good one for a BBEG

Oh wait, it is from a BBEG

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

That, and there's that theory floating around that the Stormtroopers are actually competent and we just happened to keep seeing them when they were either disadvantaged or under orders to NOT hit things.
    It fits I mean look at the damage to everyone's favorite skeleton aunt and uncle.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

I still laugh when I hear old Ben say "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise"

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, found it!

"I know exactly what it is like to leave someone behind. That is how you know I never will. Can you claim the same?"
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2016-05-19 at 10:55 AM.

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

"That's my secret captain, I'm always angry" - Dr. Banner, The Avengers

A good one for a barbarian or someone who weaponizes their rage

26. - Top - End - #326
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"You! *Smash* Don't! *Smash* Own! *Smash* These Streets! *Smash* ANYMORE! *SMASH!!*"-Soldier 76, Hero, said while slamming a lamp into a thugs head. Works for any vigilante or cop.

"Peace through force when necessary"

"You want to get hit again!"
    "You didn't hit me, I blocked it...with my face."
    Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Your companion? The goblin you are using as ammunition.
    Surprise! You've got no legs!

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

"All right, Lockett. You wanna go there. Let's go there. I commanded men and men died. Kids. 19 years old. The best men I ever led. Do you think for a second I wouldn't rather trade places with them? I know you think I got my men killed. They're dead. I'm here. Like the punchline to some bad joke. You think I like that? Do you think a minute goes by that those faces aren't right here
    [points to head]
    seared into my brain?" -Staff Sargent Michael Nantz, Battle Los Angeles

28. - Top - End - #328

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    "You! *Smash* Don't! *Smash* Own! *Smash* These Streets! *Smash* ANYMORE! *SMASH!!*"-Soldier 76, Hero, said while slamming a lamp into a thugs head. Works for any vigilante or cop.
    Actually, I believe that was a pinata.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

A few evocative Moon Knight quotes:
    "I died once. It was boring, so I stood up."
    "People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?"
    "Let me tell you a thing about me. People who love me suffer and die. I never want to be loved. That's why I always win."
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

"Good friends don't let you do stupid things... alone" -Anonymous