New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

Quote Originally Posted by eru001 View Post
    This is a strange place. The friendly shepardly priest is a murderer. The children are protected from harm, very well mind you, by a ruthless pirate. Hordes of demons attacking the town square is considered normal and nothing to get too worked up about. A werewolf is both a town guardsmen, and the town guard's tracking hound. This morning a man was murdered at breakfast for the high crime of sitting at the wrong seat, nobody batted an eye. Yet despite all of these things, the greatest cause for alarm in this town according to it's residents, is an anthill. Why do people live here?
    -Said of the town of Whitewood.
    This Whitewood? I always knew those Canadians were messed up...

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

"(Laughing) I can't read"- ASDF Movie

Every Sorcerer ever (when being compared to a wizard)
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

You and I will soon find ourselves on opposite sides of a war. The minute I leave this tavern you and I become enemies and I will try to kill you if we cross paths. I pray that in ten years time we may meet with the war over, and share drinks once more. Goodbye old friend, may the spirits watch over you, please do not follow me out.

Luke Thatcher
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"This isn't about right or wrong, left or right, up or down. Backwards and forwards are meaningless in this. There is but one axis; at one end lies you, and at the other lies me."

"Y'know, I never stopped to consider it until now, but don't people continue to exist when we aren't looking at them?"

"I forgot to remember to forget."

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

You and I will soon find ourselves on opposite sides of a war. The minute I leave this tavern you and I become enemies and I will try to kill you if we cross paths. I pray that in ten years time we may meet with the war over, and share drinks once more. Goodbye old friend, may the spirits watch over you, please do not follow me out.

Luke Thatcher
    What is this from? I really like this quote.
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erit View Post
    "Y'know, I never stopped to consider it until now, but don't people continue to exist when we aren't looking at them?"
    Life of a PC...

7. - Top - End - #547
    Bugbear in the Playground

A few quotes from a certain British naval officer, that I really should have put up on the 21st:

Quote Originally Posted by Vice Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson
    First, you must always implicitly obey orders, without attempting to form any opinion of your own respecting their propriety. Secondly, you must consider every man your enemy who speaks ill of your king; and, thirdly, you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil.

Desperate affairs require desperate measures.

May the Great God, whom I worship, grant to my country and for the benefit of Europe in general, a great and glorious Victory; and may no misconduct in any one tarnish it; and may humanity after Victory be the predominant feature of the British Fleet. For myself, individually, I commit my life to Him who made me, and may His blessing light upon my endeavors for serving my Country faithfully. To Him I resign myself and the just cause which is entrusted to me to defend. Amen. Amen. Amen.

No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy.

Duty is the great business of a officer; all private considerations must give way to it, however painful it may be.

The lives of all are in the hands of Him who knows best whether to preserve it or no, and to His will do I resign myself. My character and good name are in my own keeping. Life with disgrace is dreadful. A glorious death is to be envied, and, if anything happens to me recollect death is a debt we must all pay, and whether now or in a few years hence can be but of little consequence.

England expects that every man will do his duty.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2016-10-27 at 08:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

8. - Top - End - #548
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    What is this from? I really like this quote.
    a campaign I play in. Me and one of the other players chose opposite sides in a huge war. (both are good characters and close friends and each side has it's own strong moral argument. The sides vaguely stack up as LG vs CG, I chose LG he chose CG)
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

9. - Top - End - #549

"What got into you anyway?"
    "I dunno. She started calling me a hero, and things just went downhill from there."

Heroism is the metagame, seen from the other side.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

So I tried to get the cork out of the winebottle. It is now inside the wine bottle. but on the plus side, hey, we can pour the wine now. I call it a victory.

11. - Top - End - #551

"I love being a teacher, I get to learn so many great things."

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

Special Edition: A quote you can build a character off of and the character I built off of it.

"Like poetry, like music, like violence."

Ammanda Kelly Nightengale (Yes, non-standard spellings)

Ammanda was/is a mercenary that got a job from one of the other PCs. She is well kept, well spoken, honors her job and uses violence to solve all her problems. Not to say she was mindlessly violent, in fact mindfully violent might be an apt description, but if hurting things would in anyway improve the situation she would start hurting things.

Her iconic moments include the moment everyone else at the table realized I was not playing my usual 'let's talk/think things out' type. There was a guy who was planning some bad things for the party... so as he was recruiting some people and then "Ammanda walks over to him, grabs him by the hair and smashes his head against the railing." It actually worked, he agreed to drop it and Ammanda got him some first aid.

The other moment was when she single-handedly (in that she was the only one fighting, she got some support abilities from others in the party) fighting a swarm of monsters. By the numbers each about as strong as she was, but between the specials and rolling the highest level of success 5 times in a row she held them off. She had to be saved afterwards as she had 1 Hit Point left and was bleeding, but she bought enough time to for everyone else to save the day.

13. - Top - End - #553

"I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE ****ING SOUL!"

- The Spoony One

A character who is a raging unarmed fighter, such as a chaotic monk variant.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Marmot View Post
    "I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE ****ING SOUL!"

- The Spoony One

A character who is a raging unarmed fighter, such as a chaotic monk variant.
    What video was this from? I'm pretty sure I've seen every Spoony video, but I don't remember this quote.

15. - Top - End - #555

What video was this from? I'm pretty sure I've seen every Spoony video, but I don't remember this quote.
    His Let's Play of SWAT 4.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Marmot View Post
    His Let's Play of SWAT 4.
    I have to check this out. I remember him referencing the game in his FF XIII review.

And since I haven't added one in a while

Legionnaire, you are a volunteer serving France with honour and fidelity.
    Each legionnaire is your brother in arms whatever his nationality, his race or his religion might be. You show him the same close solidarity that links the members of the same family.
    Respect for traditions, devotion to your leaders, discipline and comradeship are your strengths, courage and loyalty your virtues.
    Proud of your status as legionnaire, you display this in your always impeccable uniform, your always dignified but modest behaviour, and your clean living quarters.
    An elite soldier, you train rigorously, you maintain your weapon as your most precious possession, and you take constant care of your physical form.
    The mission is sacred, you carry it out until the end and, if necessary in the field, at the risk of your life.
    In combat, you act without passion and without hate, you respect defeated enemies, and you never abandon your dead, your wounded, or your arms.

-French Foreign Legion Code of Honor

A good one for a Lawful Good Fighter or Paladin
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2016-11-03 at 07:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Forgive me gentlemen, but I must put on my specticles, for I have grown blind as well as gray in service to my country, I would not see it so soon divided.

-George Washington

In the budget which has been passed by Congress, I see millions for defence, and not a cent for tribute.

-John Adams

In matters of style swim with the current, in matters of principle stand like a rock.

-Thomas Jefferson

A popular Government without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy

-James Madison

Honor is the property of highest Value

-James Monroe

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.

-John Quincy Adams

I for one do not despair of the Republic. I have great faith in the virtue of the great majority of the people and thus cannot fear the result.

-Andrew Jackson, (said one election prior to winning the presidency)

The government should not be guided by Temporary Excitement, but by Sober Second Thought.

-Martin Van Buren

The only legitimate right to govern is an express grant of power from the governed

-William Henry Harrison

I contend that the strongest of all governments is that which is most free

-John Tyler

No president who performs his duties faithfully and conscientiously can have any leisure

-James K Polk

It would be judicious to act with magnanimity towards a prostrate foe

-Zachary Taylor

Upon you fellow citizens, Is wisely devolved the legislative power.

-Millard Fillmore

Frequently the more trifilling the subject, the more protracted the discussion

-Franklin Pierce

The test of leadership is not to put greatness into humanity, but to bring forth the greatness already there

-James Buchanan

A house divided cannot stand.

-Abraham Lincoln

If i am shot at I desire no man to stand in the path of the bullet.

-Andrew Johnson

I have never advocated war, Except as a means of peace

-Ulysses S Grant

The President of the United States should strive to be always mindful of the fact that he who serves his party best is he who serves his country best.

-Rutherford B Hayes

A pound of Pluck is worth a ton of Luck

-James Garfield

Men may die, but the fabrics of free institution live on

-Chester A Arthur

The Ship of Democracy, which can weather all storms, may only sink to a mutany of those aboard.

-Grover Cleveland

The bud of victory is truth

-Benjamin Harrison

Our differences are policies, our agreements principles

-William McKinley

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best the wrong thing, and the worst, nothing.

-Theodor Roosevelt

We are all imperfect, we cannot expect perfect government.

-William Taft

I would rather lose in a cause that will someday win, than win in a cause that will someday lose

-Woodrow Wilson

Words without actions are the assassins of Ideals

-Herbert Hoover

We have nothing to fear but fear itself

-Franklin Roosevelt

The Buck Stops Here

-Harry Truman

You do not lead by hitting people over the head, that's assault not leadership

-Dwight D Eisenhower

And so my fellow Americans, Ask Not, what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.

-John F Kennedy

Yesterday is not ours to recover but tomorrow is ours to win.

-Lyndon Johnson

Defeat doesn't finish a man, quit does. A man is not finished when he's defeated. He's finished when he quits.

-Richard Nixon

History and experience tell us that moral progress comes not in comfortable and complacent times, but out of trial and confusion.

-Gerald Ford

We must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles.

-Jimmy Carter

I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph. And there's purpose and worth to each and every life

-Ronal Reagan

We may have had our differences Bill, but you won, you are now my president too. So Bill, remember, I'm rooting for you. Your success is your country's success, your loss its loss. Go out there and win. I'm rooting for you.

-George H W Bush (in a letter to Bill Clinton, left sitting on the desk in the oval office on the last day of George's Presidency)

Strength and wisdom are not opposing values

-Bill Clinton

We can afford neither to tire, falter, nor fail

-George W. Bush

There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Barack Obama

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Forgive me gentlemen, but I must put on my specticles, for I have grown blind as well as gray in service to my country, I would not see it so soon divided.

-George Washington

In the budget which has been passed by Congress, I see millions for defence, and not a cent for tribute.

-John Adams

In matters of style swim with the current, in matters of principle stand like a rock.

-Thomas Jefferson

A popular Government without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy

-James Madison

-James Monroe

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.

-John Quincy Adams

I for one do not despair of the Republic. I have great faith in the virtue of the great majority of the people and thus cannot fear the result.

The government should not be guided by Temporary Excitement, but by Sober Second Thought.

-Martin Van Buren

The only legitimate right to govern is an express grant of power from the governed

-William Henry Harrison

-John Tyler

No president who performs his duties faithfully and conscientiously can have any leisure

-James K Polk

-Zachary Taylor

-Millard Fillmore

-Franklin Pierce

The test of leadership is not to put greatness into humanity, but to bring forth the greatness already there

-James Buchanan

-Abraham Lincoln

-Andrew Johnson

-Ulysses S Grant

The President of the United States should strive to be always mindful of the fact that he who serves his party best is he who serves his country best.

-Rutherford B Hayes

-James Garfield

-Chester A Arthur

The Ship of Democracy, which can weather all storms, may only sink to a mutany of those aboard.

-Grover Cleveland

-Benjamin Harrison

-William McKinley

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best the wrong thing, and the worst, nothing.

-Theodor Roosevelt

-William Taft

I would rather lose in a cause that will someday win, than win in a cause that will someday lose

-Woodrow Wilson

-Herbert Hoover

-Franklin Roosevelt

The Buck Stops Here

-Harry Truman

-Dwight D Eisenhower

And so my fellow Americans, Ask Not, what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.

-John F Kennedy

-Lyndon Johnson

Defeat doesn't finish a man, quit does. A man is not finished when he's defeated. He's finished when he quits.

-Richard Nixon

History and experience tell us that moral progress comes not in comfortable and complacent times, but out of trial and confusion.

-Gerald Ford

-Jimmy Carter

I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph. And there's purpose and worth to each and every life

-Ronal Reagan

We may have had our differences Bill, but you won, you are now my president too. So Bill, remember, I'm rooting for you. Your success is your country's success, your loss its loss. Go out there and win. I'm rooting for you.

-George H W Bush (in a letter to Bill Clinton, left sitting on the desk in the oval office on the last day of George's Presidency)

-Bill Clinton

-George W. Bush

There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Barack Obama
    I nominate this for 'best post in the thread'.

"As a rule, men fear what they can't see more often than what they can." -Julius Caesar

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer." -John F. Kennedy
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

-George Washington

-John Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

-James Madison

-James Monroe

-John Quincy Adams

-Martin Van Buren

-William Henry Harrison

-John Tyler

-James K Polk

-Zachary Taylor

-Millard Fillmore

-Franklin Pierce

-James Buchanan

-Abraham Lincoln

-Andrew Johnson

-Ulysses S Grant

-Rutherford B Hayes

-James Garfield

-Chester A Arthur

-Grover Cleveland

-Benjamin Harrison

-William McKinley

-Theodor Roosevelt

-William Taft

-Woodrow Wilson

-Herbert Hoover

-Franklin Roosevelt

The Buck Stops Here

-Harry Truman

-Dwight D Eisenhower

-John F Kennedy

-Lyndon Johnson

-Richard Nixon

-Gerald Ford

-Jimmy Carter

-Ronal Reagan

-Bill Clinton

-George W. Bush

Barack Obama
    Wow, all the Presidents of America so far. Nice job.

Although Lincoln was quoting Jesus when he said that quote, so in a way, it's a quote within a quote.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I nominate this for 'best post in the thread'.
    Wow, all the Presidents of America so far. Nice job.
    Come on guys, did you have to quote the whole thing?

Although I thought the fear quote from Franklin Roosevelt came from Churchill's Fight them on the Beaches speech. Apparently not but I found this one which... I don't quite agree with but is kind of funny.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. -Winston Churchill

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Might want to be careful about politics here.

Getting back on topic:

"Hey baby-"
    "Please stop making lame pickup lines."

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Might want to be careful about politics here.

Getting back on topic:

"Hey baby-"
    "Please stop making lame pickup lines."
    Who are you quoting here

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

"It's MY property! All sixty gazillion acres of it!" -Kled
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #564
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"Some may call it a curse, a life like mine. But others, a Blessing.
    It's certainly a lonely life, but a fulfilling one at best.
    It's my cross to bear, and I bear it gladly.
    Someone has to take a stand against Evil.
    Why should it not be me?"

-Within Temptation. "Why not me?" from The Unforgiving Album.

Excellent for an Inquistor, particularly gritty Paladin, or other dedicated character with a dark past.
    Last edited by Katrina; 2016-11-10 at 03:22 AM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

"At this time, we wish to abduct you for the purpose of scientific research. The procedure will be protracted and invasive. Do you have any objections?" - Cryptosporidium, Destroy all Humans

26. - Top - End - #566

Imp

Here are a few for my recent character (named 'Black Cat'). He is a Kenku arcane trickster, who speaks exclusively in Edgar Allen Poe Quotes.

“Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.”

"Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore —
    Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"
    Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore.""

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

"Watch out for these fellas; they've got a bit of an arsenal and they don't mind using it" - British SAS, Counter Strike: Global Offensive

28. - Top - End - #568
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Watch out for these fellas; they've got a bit of an arsenal and they don't mind using it" - British SAS, Counter Strike: Global Offensive
    "Are we rushin' in? Or are we goin' sneaky, peaky like?"
    Last edited by Teapot Salty; 2016-11-12 at 03:10 PM.
    Player: I'm going to make a new character, I suck at bard.
    Me: Your only saying that because you died.
    Player: So?
    Me: Everyone dies when they do stupid stuff between two rogues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Your companion? The goblin you are using as ammunition.
    Surprise! You've got no legs!

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot Salty View Post
    "Are we rushin' in? Or are we goin' sneaky, peaky like?"
    "You're a champ Sonny"

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Hey! Teapot Salty, we still got the thread going.

Spoiler: "The end of the world Robo." "Baloney." "[...] And its Nikola Tesla's fault." "Okay, that sounds a little plausible."
    Show
    -Atomic Robo

What did he do this time? Hey if you want a the next world ending threat to come from a non-villain type, a scientist (or magician) who deals with powers beyond their control might do.
    Spoiler: "It is easy to speak of 'necessary costs' when you aren't paying them."
    Show
    Someone who was asked to give something up but refused to. Maybe out of selfishness, maybe because the one who asked was a hypocrite.
    Spoiler: "Ah, the Rincewind philosophy. The important thing is the Running Away. Where you are running to can look after itself."
    Show
    -Sturzkampf (with reference to Discworld)

In the world of mighty adventures, just having survival instincts can be a pretty significant character trait. I had one character who was mildly famous just for their willingness to surrender.
    Spoiler: "How does he keep up without magic?" "He trains every day in half a dozen different weapons. He knows in what situation to use each of them and manages to keep two or three hidden on his person at all times. He knows the abilities, strengths, weaknesses and limits of every foe we could face. And he has the general build of an Olympian. Sometimes I think we need magic just to keep up with him."
    Show
    A really tough martial. A dedicated, learned and very fit one who fights on par with magic users in a setting where "caster/martial" disparity is a thing.
    Spoiler: "You have this whole other layer to history." "There's an assumption, I think, that being an ageless super robot billionaire mad scientist on a remote island make me feel alone. It doesn't. But sometimes? That layer does."
    Show
    -Atomic Robo

A hidden world adventure who has been through a couple of strange ordeals already might do. Feel free to swap out "ageless super robot billionaire mad scientist" (although, why would you) for some other unusual public face.