New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Quotes you can build a character off of III: It's a crowd

Spoiler: "How did you get in here?" "You left the window open." "We are on the second floor."
    Show
    A character who is perhaps too good at breaking and entering, in that the idea of personal property seems to not apply anymore. They are also good at getting up a floor or two, so likely the more acrobatic type as well.
    Spoiler: "I wasn't expecting the tattoos." "Not many people do, most don't recognize me without a tie."
    Show
    You know I think it generally helps if there is some unexpected aspects of a character, something that does not flow from their central concept. I mean if you focus on the office worker with tattoos it becomes the central concept, but if the straight laced office worker has some tattoos from a more adventurous youth, that is adding some details to a character that hopefully will create a more organic character.
    Spoiler: "The problem with being good at hurting people is eventually it gives time to think and realize: I'm hurting people."
    Show
    A strong warrior who reached the top and only then began to regret their life of violence. Guessing what this would be in reply too, the others (lesser warriors?) seem to be surprised by this, maybe they aspire to be something that the one who has achieved it realizes it is not as great as it seems.
    Spoiler: "Plus this should, y'know, minimize property damage. For once."'
    Show
    -Sleepless Domain

Hey a hero who thinks about property damage, what do you know? Not quite a character concept in and of itself, but I think it hints at a more caring or thoughtful character.
    Its been a while.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Troll in the Playground

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life"

-Winston Churchill

Here is one for a ranger

Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2017-07-31 at 09:18 PM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Barbarian in the Playground

!) Please! I used to hunt ****ing vampires.
    2) Dont be fooled! Beneath this calm exerior beats the trembling heart of a coward.
    Last edited by FabulousFizban; 2017-08-02 at 11:57 PM.
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "I'm glad my awkwardness aura could be weaponized."
    Show
    -Sleepless Domain

Hey, if you got it, use it. More significantly, most people with "awkwardness aura" tend to be too socially, well, awkward (or unaware) to do anything with it. So we have a possibly helpful character who is social aware but still awkward enough to weaponize it.
    Spoiler: "Well that was an adventure. Slayed three printers and I'm now level five. Here are your handouts."
    Show
    Classic Meetings and Managers character. You know the game the D&D monsters play in their off time?
    Spoiler: "I break things with my face."
    Show
    -Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

I find this to be a very interesting expression of a brute fighter's raw power. Also if anyone can find a way to mechanically support having your character break things with their face I am very impressed.
    Spoiler: "After all, only real mean wear pink."
    Show

I'm not sure if you could make a full character out of this, but you could get an interesting visual quirk out of it.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    Spoiler: "I break things with my face."
    Show

I find this to be a very interesting expression of a brute fighter's raw power. Also if anyone can find a way to mechanically support having your character break things with their face I am very impressed.
    Spoiler: "I break people with my face."
    Show

- Myra, goddess of headbutts, KSBD

Here, Myra is the giant blue lady.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

To goto124: That sounds exactly like Kill Six Billion Demons.

Spoiler: "You gotta let OTHER PEOPLE say the mean things about you! Then you hit em!"
    Show
    -Sleepless Domain

Don't take that from anybody, not even yourself. They seem to be confident, aggressive and not reflective in the slightest.
    Spoiler: "You beat a dragon to death with a wooden bat?"
    Show
    -The Sword Interval

Some heroes ride to victory with carefully honed weapons. Others grab the nearest blunt object and improvise.
    Spoiler: "When you entered the room there were 9632 candles lit. Now there are 9297 lit. Did you notice the difference?"
    Show
    Someone with an eye for detail, being able to notice little details and apparently being able to count up to 10 000 without much issue.

Also they were talking about death. They seem to be a big picture person, hundreds of candles went out, but it was unnoticeable. Or maybe they are saying that it shouldn't be unnoticed and we need to pay more attention.
    Spoiler: "What's our escape plan?" "We beat up everyone!" "W-What! Beating up everyone isn't an escape plan!" "I see. We beat up everyone. Then we leave."
    Show
    -Hero Oh Hero

Why walk softly when you have a big stick? Well I can think of a couple of reasons, but this character can't. Or maybe they have but have decided to play to their strengths.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

"These men who brought me here today do not fear me. They brought me here today because they fear you. Because they know that my voice, a voice that refuses to be enslaved, once lived in you, and may yet still. They brought me here today to show you death, and use it to frighten you into ignoring that voice. But know this: we are many, they are few. To fear death is a choice, and they can't hang us all."
    - Charles Vane, Black Sails

Possibly the only example I can think of for a sympathetic Chaotic Evil protagonist.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2017-08-18 at 08:29 PM.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

8. - Top - End - #698
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I can't know if this has already been posted, but here you go:

And on the pedestal these words appear:
    'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
    Also, I feel people like to colour their quotes way too much with their own preconceptions.

They're best left in a vacuum, so everyone can find their own unique spin.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Orc in the Playground

"You did what?"

10. - Top - End - #700
    Troll in the Playground

To martixy: I sort of agree that quotes should stand on their own. The reason I put my commentary in spoilers is so you don't have to read it. Or even if you do, you have a moment to see it in isolation before you read my thoughts on it. When I originally started posting quotes I often let them stand on their own, but some of them I just had to say something. And the others I thought, if I can't think of anything worth saying about it, even if it is not great, maybe it isn't a quote you can build a character off of anyways. So that's my thoughts on the matter. Don't feel you have to read the stuff in the spoilers, that's why they are there.

Spoiler: "My own mother thought I was a monster. ... She was right of course, but it still hurt."
    Show

The obvious one is real monster, who understands the terrible things they to but doesn't even care anymore. Your mother thinks your evil is a pretty high standard for how low you have gone. But at the same time that is all past tense, maybe that hurt made them realize, made them change.
    Spoiler: "I'm a bard. Why do I do anything? Because it's funny."
    Show
    -Dominic Deegan: Oracle For Hire

Even without being a bard, a character committed to comedy will... probably come off as a bard anyways. There is an excuse here to turn to "chaotic neutral" humour here, but a more refined bard that aims for higher comedy might come off better.
    Spoiler: "I'm sorry- Did you just attack one of the worst criminals in the world by launching your national animal at her face?" "I make do with what I have!"
    Show
    -Hero Oh Hero

And you had your national animal handy? Patriotic and creative, perhaps a scientist or a lateral thinking soldier.
    Spoiler: "She was the youngest commander of the Royal Hunters ever. 30 years and almost a dozen kids later and no one has suggested she retire yet."
    Show
    Imagine parent teacher interviews with this person. Still you have an almost impossibly successful commander, who managed to do all that while pregnant and giving birth. I'm not sure what type of mother she is, probably rigid and possibly distant to hold down such a career during that time. Similarly, although a soldier she defiantly made it on her brains. You can't be the best physical condition for 30 years, although she is probably in pretty good shape all things considered.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Here are some more, so you enjoy it

"What do you say too death? Not Today"

"Well I accidentally made a harem again."

"A mind needs a book as a sword needs a whetstone, if its too keep its edge."

"Laughter is poison to fear"
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

12. - Top - End - #702
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: "Your handling this pretty well for an office worker." "Are you kidding? I haven't had this much fun since I broke out of the maximum security section of North Peak Prison after getting captured as part of my little brothers plan to overthrow the Yarrian Empire." "... I feel there is a story here we are missing."
    Show
    I enjoy characters with a bit of history. This one seems to have quite a bit. For some reason I see this character coming in part way through a campaign, when you need to explain where some capable other character who hasn't been involved until now came from. Plus they seem to have some experience, of the sneaky improvisational get out of jail kind.
    Spoiler: "And, just to make sure no one misunderstood, instead of opening the door she tore it off its hinges and walked in with it under her arm."
    Show
    Powerful and direct, will make a scene to prove a point. I'm feeling she is some sort of power-fighter martial artist, because of the strength required for ripping of hinges.
    Spoiler: "How long is forever?"
    Show
    Probably longer than you think it is. But why does it matter? Are they immortal and have forever? Do they have to wait forever for something they want? Do they have a duty they must uphold forever? Do they wish the forever could be over?
    Spoiler: "... is so badass he once wrote a math test in his own blood." "I forgot my pencil. And the teacher's reaction was worth it."
    Show
    I'm going to say they have some physical power, they can endure some pain so I'll say they are relatively fine with physical discomfort. A rough past without comfort or maybe just athletic and they exert themselves. Let's say both. And yet here they are writing a math test, so they seem to be in the 'normal world' now. There are rough places in the world that still have math tests, but I think travelling from a bad place to here (where the story starts) is an interesting back story. They are also mischievous, judging from their reaction to the teacher's reaction.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

Double post? Are we really running low on quotes? ... We could be, it took me longer than usual to make a set this time.

Spoiler: "Kill me if you can."
    Show
    Who would say this? Probably someone who doesn't value life to much, but everyone values their own life (mostly). Maybe they really believe the whole survival of the strongest (individually) fittest thing. Probably haven't suffered major any misfortune in life that would force them to turn to allies, so perhaps rather inexperienced. Still, probably pretty strong, and slightly mocking and arrogant.
    Spoiler: '"Someday" is too late.'
    Show
    -Akatsuki no Yona

We cannot wait to save the world, the problems exist today and will only worsen with time. Also proactive characters are awesome.
    Spoiler: 'The wind tribe has one hell of a high standard for "tottering old geezers"...'
    Show
    -Akatsuki no Yona

Someone who claims to be old but moves like the wind. Would probably be a hard character to play in a longer campaign because they are unlikely to be getting much stronger as play continues. So probably in a short game or maybe an NPC.
    Spoiler: "Most people don't realize it because he is bright and full of energy, but his social skills are terrible to non-existent."
    Show
    You know most people without a lot of social skills are portrayed as withdrawn and quiet, and maybe that reflects the proportions in real life but its not always the case. Sometimes they are very loud. Hopefully they can still be likable in an awkward way though, it is a game, hang out with people you enjoy.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Here are some defining quotes from our characters in the past. They probably can be used to make new ones (if only for joke campaigns).

"Bruce, you should come to the bathroom with us, let us eat you alive, and not struggle." - Definitely not a vampire.

"The Tarot cards have stopped calling me a little bitch." - A highly incompetent fortune teller who knows what is up.

"I guess we have to go save him." - The reluctant hero.

"YOUR MOTHER WAS A GECKO!" - Ye who gives dragons a good old fashioned taunting.

"That sounds stupid."
    "Of course it's stupid, that's why we're gonna do it."

"There's always a centipede cult, if you know where to look." - The Jaded Traveler

15. - Top - End - #705
    Orc in the Playground

"Unhappy is the land that breeds no hero"
    "No. Unhappy is the land that needs a hero."
    - Brecht, the life of Galileo.

"If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you are going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat. They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the murder like another man will put off a good cigar. So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word."
    -Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms. Words for a paladin to live by.

"The good are innocent and create justice. The bad are guilty, which is why they invent mercy."
    -Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad. This ranks amonst the most terrifying "hero" speeches I've hever heard.

"This ain't no place for no hero. This ain't no place for no 'better man'. This ain't no place for no hero to call home."
    -The Heavy, Short Change Hero. Very bitter, lamenting that circumstances are forcing people to be bad.

"Do not say that it is a fight we cannot win. I prefer to think of it as a fight we must never lose."
    - Warblade from the Konrad Novels, talking about the fight against Chaos, mankind's base and corrupt nature.

16. - Top - End - #706

In honour of the anniversary of two great battles, and their two great miscommunications:

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred, Lord Tennyson - The Charge of the Light Brigade
    Half a league, half a league,
    Half a league onward,
    All in the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.
    “Forward, the Light Brigade!
    Charge for the guns!” he said.
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

“Forward, the Light Brigade!”
    Was there a man dismayed?
    Not though the soldier knew
    Someone had blundered.
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die.
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon in front of them
    Volleyed and thundered;
    Stormed at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of hell
    Rode the six hundred.

Flashed all their sabres bare,
    Flashed as they turned in air
    Sabring the gunners there,
    Charging an army, while
    All the world wondered.
    Plunged in the battery-smoke
    Right through the line they broke;
    Cossack and Russian
    Reeled from the sabre stroke
    Shattered and sundered.
    Then they rode back, but not
    Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon behind them
    Volleyed and thundered;
    Stormed at with shot and shell,
    While horse and hero fell.
    They that had fought so well
    Came through the jaws of Death,
    Back from the mouth of hell,
    All that was left of them,
    Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
    O the wild charge they made!
    All the world wondered.
    Honour the charge they made!
    Honour the Light Brigade,
    Noble six hundred!
    Quote Originally Posted by General Pierre Bosquet
    C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie. - It's magnificent, but it's not war. It's madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Chester Nimitz
    Uncommon valor was a common virtue.

Our armament must be adequate to the needs, but our faith is not primarily in these machines of defence but in ourselves.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral William Halsey
    There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.

Hit hard, hit fast, hit often.

I never trust a fighting man who doesnt smoke or drink.

If anything gets in my way, we'll shoot first and argue afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

17. - Top - End - #707

HalflingRogueGirl

"I killed him. And in doing so, I became him anew."

A blackguard before the final battle.

"I can taste his heartsblood already in my mouth. Now comes the certainty of his death."

A savage druid.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

18. - Top - End - #708

Madame Kovarian: The anger of a good man is not a problem. Good men have too many rules.
    The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.

Spoiler: Mistborn Spoilers
    Show
    “Oh, hell,” Kelsier said. “There’s actually a God?”
    “Yes.”
    Kelsier decked him.
    It was a good, clean punch, thrown from the shoulder while he brought his other arm up to block a counter strike.”

“Huh, Kelsier thought. He holds the powers of creation in twain, a god among gods. And he’s still a terrible liar.”

“Kelsier: "You've got to have some idea what I could try, Fuzz."
    God: "What did you just call me?"
    Kelsier: "Fuzz, I've got to try something."
    Fuzz/God: "You could try 'My Lord,'" Fuzz said with a huff."
    Kelsier: "That's a terrible nickname for a crew member."
    "So," Fuzz said. "You are not only the first person to punch me, you're also the first to try and recruit me. You are a distinctively strange man."
    Kelsier: " You don't know my friends...”

“Ideas are never original," Kelsier said. "Only one thing is."
    "And what is that?
    "Style," Kelsier said.
    Then he punched Ruin across the face.”

“He doesn’t know as much as he thinks,” Preservation whispered. “That is his weakness. The . . . weakness . . . of all clever men”

Wax: "Logic doesn't work on Wayne."
    Wayne: "I bought a ward against it off a traveling fortune-teller, It lets me add two 'n' two and get a pickle."

“What I need to do,” Wayne said, “is get the whole city drunk.”
    MeLaan: “Or, you know, advocate workers’ rights to bring down working hours, improve conditions, and meet a base minimum of pay.”
    “Yeah, yeah,” Wayne said. “That too. But if I could get everybody drunk, think how much happier this city would be.”

"I ain’t drunk,” Wayne said, sniffling. “I’m investigatin’ alternative states of sobriety.”

“Wayne's a little attached to that hat," Waxillium said. "He thinks it's lucky."
    Wayne: "It is lucky. I ain't never died while wearing that hat."
    Marasi frowned. "I ... I'm not sure I know how to respond."
    Wax: "That's a common reaction to Wayne.”

Wax: "You're right of course"
    Wayne: "Usually am"
    "Except that one time at Lessie's bithday"
    "You always have to bring that up, don't you? Honest mistake."
    "You put dynamite in the oven, Wayne"
    "Gotta hide a gift where nobody will look for it."

Spoiler: Other Cosmere stuff
    Show
    “Brightness...I believe you stray into sarcasm."
    "Funny.I thought I'd run straight into it,screaming at the top of my lungs.”

“We actually killed the thing.”
    “Sad, I know,” she said, feeling depressed. “It was beautiful.”
    “It would be more beautiful if it hadn't tried to eat me.”
    “From my perspective,” Shallan noted, “it didn't try, it succeeded.”
    “Nonsense,” Kaladin said. “It didn't manage to swallow me. Doesn't count.”

“The sensation—it’s not sorrow, but something deeper—of being broken. Of being crushed so often, and so hatefully, that emotion becomes something you can only wish for. If only you could cry, because then you’d feel something. Instead, you feel nothing. Just . . . haze and smoke inside. Like you’re already dead.” (the person saying his said it to interrupt someone accusing them of not knowing what true sorrow and hardship are)

“Why hasn't anyone killed him yet?”
    “Dumb luck,” Wit said. “In that I’m lucky you’re all so dumb.”

"You think he'll live?"
    "He just fell out the third-story window, plummeting toward certain doom. Of course he'll live!"

There are tons of others, but I feel like sixteen is enough, and (if you know the source material) it is incredibly funny that I randomly chose to stop at that specific number (I actually chose to stop, then counted the number that I had done). If you feel like you have a particularly interesting interpretation, even, or especially, if you haven't read the source material, I would love to see it, also READ THESE BOOKS, THEY ARE AWESOME (but start with Elantris, and read them in publishing order).

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    There are tons of others, but I feel like sixteen is enough, and (if you know the source material) it is incredibly funny that I randomly chose to stop at that specific number (I actually chose to stop, then counted the number that I had done). If you feel like you have a particularly interesting interpretation, even, or especially, if you haven't read the source material, I would love to see it, also READ THESE BOOKS, THEY ARE AWESOME (but start with Elantris, and read them in publishing order).
    Your forgetting one:

"Hello. Would you like to destroy some evil today?" (Said by someone who doesn't know what evil is)
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #710

Your forgetting one:

"Hello. Would you like to destroy some evil today?" (Said by someone who doesn't know what evil is)
    It had been posted on the thread already, but if I had would that have made nightblood the 17th shard...... TO THE COPPERMIND!

On a completely unrelated note: How do you put the "originally posted by X" line in a quote?

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

The format (with '{}' replacing '[]') is: {QUOTE=Attributed To} with the closing tag the same. You can also add a ';XYZ' after the original poster name, where XYZ is the post number, if you are grabbing the it from somewhere else on the forum that will create an arrow that links to that post. I think it only works with post numbers. It might also handle various other addresses but I've never tried and I don't think there is a manual for this. If you check the reply with quote or multiquote buttons it will generate the quote for you, I figured out how to do it by looking at those.

22. - Top - End - #712

Thanks for the tip, also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mull
    “Everyone should get to clobber a princess at least once," Jason said.”
    This is said to the princess, after said clobbering

YAY, it works!

23. - Top - End - #713
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

All quotes from a game I play

This is a terrible idea, count me in.

Are those, Dog Treats? WHY? Why are you eati- oh righ, werewolf.

Guys I have a confession to make, I don't actually know how to mix drinks, what we just drank was pure absinthe.
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

24. - Top - End - #714

Spoiler: Elantris spoilers
    Show
    The knife slid off Hrathen's armor, scraping ineffectively along the painted steel. Dilaf regarded the breastplate with stunned eyes. "But that armor is just for show..." "You should know by now, Dilaf," Hrathen said, bringing his armored foream up and smashing it into the monk's face. [...] "Nothing I do is just for show."
    -Elantris, Brandon Sanderson

25. - Top - End - #715
    Troll in the Playground

Wow this thread suddenly feels alive again.

Spoiler: "I'm just an ordinary demigod."
    Show
    -Moana

I suppose you could just be an ordinary demigod, but I feel the false modesty view of it is really the only way to go. There would have to be a lot of demigod's for one to be ordinary.
    Spoiler: "Justice is just an attempt to legitimize vengeance."
    Show
    I could see it coming from someone trying to get out of punishment. But I would like it to be spoken by one who prioritizes protecting the innocent and healing the victims over punishing the guilty. This one might even be (hopelessly?) idealistic enough to pay no mind to punishing the guilty at all.
    Spoiler: "Are there limits to your stupidity?" "I haven't found them yet."
    Show
    This is either a very self aware fool, or they aren't quite as stupid as the literal meaning of these words would suggest. Still they have a way of thinking that gets them into trouble now and again. Or all the time.
    Spoiler: "OK, plan B. Hand me that knife. Whose with weak stomachs should look away."
    Show
    Knowledgeable enough to craft a plan B at a moments notice*, skilled enough to perform it immediately thereafter and of course, practical/hardened enough to do it even though it is going to be disgusting. But also considerate of their less hardened companions, or maybe showing off how direct this is going to be.

*It could have been planned ahead of time, but the others don't seem to know what it is.

26. - Top - End - #716

Spoiler: Man, I'm on a Sanderson run, these are from Emperor's Soul
    Show
    “In her business, there were many who laughed at honest men, calling them easy pickings. That was a fallacy. Being honest did not make one naive. A dishonest fool and an honest fool were equally easy to scam; you just went about it in different ways. However, a man who was honest and clever was always, always more difficult to scam than someone who was both dishonest and clever.”
    “He found himself weeping. Not for the future or for the emperor. These were the tears of a man who saw before himself a masterpiece. True art was more than beauty; it was more than technique. It was not just imitation. It was boldness, it was contrast, it was subtlety. In this book, Gaotona found a rare work to rival that of the greatest painters, sculptors, and poets of any era. It was the greatest work of art he had ever witnessed. Gaotona held the book reverently for most of the night. It was the creation of months of fevered, intense artistic transcendence -- forced by external pressure, but released like a breath held until the brink of collapse. Raw yet polished. Reckless, but calculated. Awesome, yet unseen. So it had to remain. If anyone discovered what Shai had done, the emperor would fall. Indeed, the very empire might shake. [...] As morning broke, Gaotona slowly -- excrutiatingly -- stood up beside his hearth. He clutched the book, that matchless work of art, and held it out. Then he dropped it into the flames.”

“No matter how good you were, someone was better. Live by that knowledge, and you would never grow so confident that you became sloppy.”

“Control yourself, she told herself forcibly. Become someone who can deal with this. She took a deep breath and let herself become someone else. An imitation of herself who was calm, even in a situation like this. It was a crude forgery, just a trick of the mind, but it worked.”

“Her aunt Sol had once told Shai to smile at the worst insults and snap at the minor ones. That way, no man would know your heart.”
    Last edited by Personification; 2017-10-30 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Typo

27. - Top - End - #717
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

New plan. Hit it really hard.
    That was your last plan!
    But now I have a bigger hammer!

Thank you for saving me from that monster. It was going to eat me.
    Didn't do it for you, that't werbear's my friend, she'd feel really bad when she changed back after eating someone, something about morals. Draws sword
    What's that for?
    You're not getting eaten. Doesn't mean you get to live. I'd say nothing personal, but you did interrupt my breakfast with your blood magic. It's a bit of a hike back to town after all, and I only need your head to collect the bounty.
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

28. - Top - End - #718

I cut the names out to make these a bit more appliciable; hopefully they help somebody design something.
    I like to have a theme, but I can't really find one here. War and ambitions, perhaps?

With one act of fashion design, Edward had just made it very likely that the coming war would be very brutal indeed.
    1000 YEARS OF ANNOYING THE FRENCH, Stephen Clarke

I'm not a racist anymore. White, black, yellow... we're all humans. We all need to be united against them.
    From a book about urban dragons whose name I can't remember...

She'll burn up in the atmosphere and become a star. It's what she would have wanted.
    from Railhead, by Philip Reeve

Keep Tom safe. And Hester too, though she doesn't deserve it. Lead them to Wren, whereever she may be. And may they all come home again to us, safe and happy and together.
    Freya Rassmussen (character), Infernal Devices (book), Predator Cities (series), Philip Reeve

In short, this war was going to be cruel, racist and criminal. But most of all, it was going to be fun.
    1000 YEARS OF ANNOYING THE FRENCH, Stephen Clarke
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

29. - Top - End - #719
    Orc in the Playground

"I don't need luck, I have ammo."
    -Grunt

ANY gun/blaster using character
    Come check out my setting blog: Ruins of the Forbidden Elder

Inspired by LudicSavant, I am posting deities: Erebos, The Black Sun

30. - Top - End - #720

"I need no sword, for I am the Doctor... and this is my spoon"

"Amy Pond, there's something you better understand about me 'cause it's important, and one day your life may depend upon it. I am definitely a mad man with a box."

German Officer: What are you doing here?
    River Song: Well, I was on my way to this gay Gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I suddenly thought "Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish. I think I'll kill the Fuehrer." Who's with me?

Young Reinette: Monsieur, be careful!
    The Doctor: It's just a nightmare, Reinette, don't worry, everyone has nightmares. Even monsters under the bed have nightmares!
    Young Reinette: What do monsters have nightmares about?
    The Doctor: Me!

“The Doctor: [aiming gun at the ceiling] Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.
    Angel Bob: And what would that be, sir?
    The Doctor: Me. [fires]”

And finally, (because I have a streak going):
    Spoiler: Mistborn quote
    Show
    “I am the one thing you can never kill. I am Hope.”-Kelsier, Mistborn: The Final Empire