New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The End of the World as We Know It (E6 dnd) IC

"All right, here they come. Let's show them what for!" Maeric looks much like the next man in the line, and his short, shouted speach was paltry compared to the nobleman's eloquent production a few minutes earlier. Still, there was a conviction to his words that spread to the men nearby him. Then the first of the enemies had cleared the wall, and they drew sword and spear. "Stand your ground!" It was almost as if he was shining, right in that moment.

He looked about him, wildly grinning as he ducked out of the way of a swooping wasp, before pushing into the melee - he wasn't fighting so much as holding up his shield in front of him and applying pressure, hoping to stall the veritable wall of creatures and maybe push a few off the crenelations.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Bless with my standard action. Dunno if I should roll for that(maybe it would be 1d20+CL+Spellcasting score? Sort of like an attack roll?), or if we just apply the bonus to relevant rolls - for 1 minute, everyone within 50ft. of Maeric gets +1 morale to attack rolls & saving throws against fear. That covers 100ft. of wall.

As for my skill check, str; (1d20+3)[10]
    Last edited by bhangbhangduc; 2015-12-20 at 06:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Francis lets loose a war cry in an attempt to rally the troops as he charges the bugs now on the edge of spilling over. He hacks at their legs and faces in an attempt to keep them from crawling up over the edge.
    "Come on men! Give 'em what for!!!"

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    war cry/morale boost/adrenaline rush/charge? (str check) (1d20+3)[4]
    attack one (1d20+5)[8], damage (1d10+3)[11]
    attack two (1d20+5)[9], damage (1d10+3)[10]

Edit: ...and this is why noble mom and noble dad didn't want their son playing soldier boy.
    Last edited by Artman77; 2015-12-21 at 03:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

As the first, dense pack of insects swarm over the battlements, it's like an avalance. It literally threatens to knock you on your back, the sheer weight and numbers. It is a herculean effort to push back, stand firm, and fight. But you do - through sound tactics, strong leadership, and strength of will.

Insects die in droves in those first moments - but not for nothing. Dozens of men are wounded, and there are plenty of insects to replace the fallen. But for now, the momentum is broken. New wasps buzz in to land among you, and the drones press hard against those guarding the walls. The archers on the towers, however, provide much needed relief for those men holding back the far deadlier drones.

At the foot of the walls, it's a veritable sea of claws and mandibles and skittering chitinous monsters.

Spoiler: Next round
    Show

Roll initiative. The number to beat is (1d20+3)[14]

For now, the footmen are holding their own. You may chose to aid them, or do other stuff - if you can come up with anything. You are still welcome to take a standard action and do something else - harsh language, a skill check or ability roll - to aid those poor, nameless saps whose fate is to be npc's.

Oh and .... if you're in the tower or actually at the battlements, you may roll spot vs 15.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[22]
    Spot - (1d20+5)[22]

And if I may, I'd like to know what I spot (if I do beat the DC) before committing to a course of action.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

For a short while, Maeric is consumed by the battle. Luckily, he's well protected by the men at his side, and his shield and armour takes the brunt of the claws that he can't dodge. Still, he spends a brief while just fighting for his life, trying to make some room around him with his sword. In a rare moment of ebb in the endless tide, he gets his bearings and tries to bring some tactics to bear on the fight. Breathing room. They had too much to do at once, they needed time to focus their efforts.

"Come on men, we've got to clear the wall! Dump the tar and rocks!"

He follows his own lead, and scrambles to work the mechanism that pours the boiling tar down into the roiling sea of insectoid bodies.

Show
    Step 1: Melee attack: (1d20+5)[7], (1d8+3)[5]

Profession(soldier): (1d20+7)[17], dumping the tar.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Show

Spot: (1d20+2)[13]
    Initiative (1d20+2)[21]

I am currently located at the tower. I'm assuming we're onto "turn 1" since you've said we had a prepared action in an earlier post, but my head is a bit muddled right now.
    If I'm mistaken and we're still on the same "round" as my previous action (Cast spell;), I'll edit this later.

fakeedit: I think I'll follow in iTookUrNick's steps and wait for that spot check to clear.

Edit: since you've said it was against DC 15, I guess it didn't. Heh at least my initiative is tight.

Peering through the dark clouds of the encroaching bugs, Anselm loads his crossbow once again and prepares to shoot the biggest bug that would reach the top of the tower. He was hoping it wouldn't come to this...

Eyeing the other hapless defenders, he tried to inspire them - and perhaps assure himself - that not everything is gone to hell and that there is a solution.
    "There can be only this many bugs - they're not endless. With each kill, we're closer to victory!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Readied action to attack, will roll later since can't edit in rolls.
    Hopefully Anselm comment counts as wisdom-based, will roll for that too (In OOC)
    Last edited by root; 2015-12-22 at 12:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    nature - (1d20+3)[5]

Despite the momentary distractiin, Ben's keen eyes manage to pick up something strange, some sort of fat bug making its way amidst its lesser kin. "What the... Watch out, big one incoming from the left side!" he shouts, not sure of what he is seeing "We need to put it down fast.!".
    In the meantime, he lights one of the arrows and shoots one where the tar is thicker to ignite it.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-12-24 at 01:47 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

Show

Ahhh .... but you fixed up the catapults - not the ballista.

Or am I remembering wrong? You have other options tho.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    attack - (1d20+6)[11] this is the roll you are looking for

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #40

Francis hacks away at the bugs as they climb up the walls and threaten to spill over its edge. It is by dumb luck he doesn't suffer any wounds for his effort. A few of their claws fail to pierce his armor. Another manages a swipe mere inches from his throat, only to be brought down by one of the men next to him. His attacks are passionate, but it is only when combined with the attacks of others that they stand a chance of piercing the vermin's exoskeleton.

For a moment, there is a break in the action. He stops to catch his breath. Maybe his family was right. Maybe he was too old for this. The moment is short-lived. Here they come again.

He glances over his shoulder at the tower to make sure his escape route isn't cut off before swinging at the next bug to pop its head over the edge of the wall.

Show

Attack; (1d20+5)[15] Damage; (1d10+2)[4]
    and if I'm not dead by round 3:
    Attack; (1d20+5)[10] Damage; (1d10+2)[6]

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Two hundred yards east of your position:

A lieutenant, flanked by two men dressed in the gaudy uniforms of the elite Kuzum Alhaadi infantry struggle to push through the fighting, trying to reach a ranking officer. They dispatch bugs and push aside fellow soldiers. Finally, they reach an older, bearded man surrounded by aides and guards.

Sir, shouts the lieutenant over the fighting, snapping off a quick salute, major, we need to face the military reality that we're not going to be able to hold the wall.

The older man turns slowly to face the lieutenant, fury already seeting on his face.

What treason is this, you Kuzum dog? He very nearly spits this last - the nationality of the other man clearly doesn't agree with him.

Sir, this battle is impossible. We must send word back to the cities. Without time to prepare - all may be lost.

Return to your post, lieutenant. That's an order! He turns to his guards If this man does not resume his duties, or makes any move towards deserting - gut him like a pig.

A quick look passes between the major and his staff sergeant. Then, without a word, the sergeant draws his blade, and runs the major through without blinking.

You men heard the lieutenant. We all have family and friends back home. I need twenty men to form up, grab some horses, and get on the road this very instant to spread the word. Everywhere. Go go go!

With that, the sergeant resumes commanding his section of the wall, and the Kuzum lieutenant heads for the stables.

Where you guys are:

The assault continues. Waves of wasps fly onto the wall - and this time there isn't a catapult to scatter them. At least there is archer cover to reduce their numbers.

The wasps are starting to outnumber the defenders on the walls. You see the first men fall as the insects swarm and scitter over them. The larger drones are still held back by the shield wall, and as heavy rocks and burning pitch are dropped along the length of the ramparts, pressure is relieved for a moment. The spearmen have a moment to help clear out the wasps.

However, big, fat beetle like insects have made their way to the front. Some are struck by fire or rocks, and one is skewered by a balista. But some are unscathed, and with an unpleasant buzzing they take wing. They are not nimble or elegant flyers. Some fly straight into towers or walls, and all land randomly on their bellies. But when they do land on the wall, they hiss and spray .... something .... everywhere. Men scream and scratch at their eyes, and stumble around blindly.

One of the sprayers is hit by Bens arrow, wounding it, but not enough to kill it. If only Maerics attack hadn't missed - but sadly, it did.

Anselm for his part held on to his shot, waiting for the right moment.

Finally, Francis went in, sword flashing. His attack connected solidly, killing the sprayer - but not until it had done it's job.

As you look about, the situation isn't good. The spearmen did an excellent job cleaning the wall - but now more than half of them, along with the remaining defenders, are struggling with the sprayers noxious mist.

The foot of the wall is currently covered in flames, so the drones are cut off for now - but that wont last.

Spoiler: Attacks - and other stuff
    Show

This round, everyone gets nibbled on. A few wasps land on the tower, and many land on the wall. All drones get flanking bonus. They're pretty much all over.

Maeric:
    Attack: (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage: (1d3+1)[3]
    Attack: (1d20+6)[10]
    Attack: (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage: (1d3+1)[4]
    Attack: (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage: (1d3+1)[2]

Francis:
    Attack: (1d20+6)[9]
    Attack: (1d20+6)[13]
    Attack: (1d20+6)[22]

Ben:
    Anselm:
    Attack: (1d20+6)[7]

Also, Maeric and Francis can roll a fort save vs 12 or be ..... obnoxicated?! What's the word again, hang on. Dammit, where are my books? Sickened:
    The character takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Long post. Hope it works. Did I remember everything?

12. - Top - End - #42

Francis plunges his sword into the beast and is sprayed in the face by its spittle for his efforts. He falls back, choking and gagging. He tries to control his spasming body as best as he can in a vain attempt to retain what little dignity he has left. He hastily retreats to the safety of the tower.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Having dodged the wasp's wild lunge by luck rather then mere skill, Anselm lurched back and shot his crossbow at the insectoid monstrosity.

"Gah! Stay down!"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Take 5 foot step away from the wasp if possible - if not, I suppose I'll take the AoO.
    Apply my Dodge feat against the wasp that just attacked me - +1 AC against it. (AC 13 vs the bug, AC 12 vs everything else)
    Shoot my crossbow and reload it with my Standard + Move action.

(1d20+2)[7] to hit with crossbow
    (1d8)[3] damage

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Ben's keen eyes spot a commotion down the wall, though he does not understand what it is all about. It's just a moment's distraction, but it is enough to get stung hard by one of the wasps. He curses.
    Wit more and more wasps coming in, he feels it would be best to get off the tower, as not to get trapped. He decides to leap down, axe in both hands, aiming to take down one of the bigger bugs down below. He figures he can always make his way back up if appropriate.
    Show
    attack - (1d20+6)[12] death from above!
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2015-12-31 at 01:25 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

Maeric tries to use the short breathing room created by the burning pitch to clear the wall of immediate fliers.

He notes a man jumping down from the tower - he seems in a hurry to get somewhere, so Maeric decides to attempt to clear a way for him, pushing at the throng of fighting bodies.

Show
    Initiative(are we still doing this?): (1d20+2)[22]

Attack: (1d20+5)[14] (Damage:(1d8+3)[6])

Str to help clear the way: (1d20+3)[4]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    Ben hears the lieutenant's words and decides he wants to be among those 20. It's just a moment's distraction, but it is enough to get stung hard by one of the wasps. He curses.
    In order to be able to leave, though, he needs to get off the tower. As a way of showing off and pros his merit, he decides to leap down, axe in both hands, aiming to take down one of the bigger bugs down below.
    Show
    [roll0] death from above!
    200 yards away. Ben has no idea this is going on. Of course you might then ask - why include it? And with good reason. However, the reasons will become apparent.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Ben leaps from the tower - as he does so, he hears the uncertain voice of one of the men who looked to him for leadership go: Uh, sir?!

Landing on the ramparts, Ben cuts one of the creatures almost in half. Maeric, next to him, cuts down another - but around them, the defence of the wall is faltering. Half the men are affected by the noxious spray of the beetle-like bugs, too many wasps are landing ... the wasps are attacking the spearmen and shield bearers by the battlements from behind, and a scream draws your eyes as the first of the drones claws it's way to the top, and impales one of the defenders.

Anselm, trying to defend himself against a wasp, fires and missed. However, Francis choses this moment to arrive in the tower. He cuts down the offending insect without a second glance.

[Post unfinished - my computer insists on a restart, and I'm not about to lose what I typed in]

With a hole in the lines at the battlements, the drones start pushing onto the ramparts (my apologies if my terminology is inaccurate here), their great scythe-like appendages cutting down the armsmen left and right. Soon, a small horde of insect warriors are tearing at you, and though steel is harder than chitin, it's all you can do to remain standing in the onslaught. The men in the tower, however, are slightly better off than the rest - for now, at least.

The press of numbers quickly becomes too great. Surrounded, swarmed and swamped, both Ben and Francis fall beneath the clawing, biting, tearing mass of sharp, chitinous appendages.

The remaining defenders on the wall wont last long either. There are still some 20-30 men alive on this stretch of the wall, but they are outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1.

Meanwhile:

One hundred yards from your position, a group of 20 men are fighting their way towards the stables. As previously mentioned, wasps and sprayers have flown over the wall - a relief then, but now it means that this group is having trouble reaching their destination. Lead by a competent Kuzum lieutenant, they are valiantly pressing on. They are still a ways away from your group (or .... what's left of it), but getting closer. The stables are 50 yards from your position, in a small fortified enclosure.

To either side of your position, the defences are crumbling - just like where you are. The towers remain defensible, but that's hardly a long term solution. There are reserves being deployed, but without proper leadership, it's hap-hazard.

In other words, this battle isn't going well for the brave human defenders.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2016-01-02 at 07:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

It not that is wasn't grand and glorious. It's not that there weren't heroics. Banners snapped proudly in the wind - stout fighters fought to the last drop, friends or former enemies fought back to back. There were moments of undiluted grandeur. Moments that would have become legend.

If only there had been any survivors.

But the sheer weight of numbers made it all moot. It was a long, desperate, hopeless struggle. A fight, not to win or survive, but to stay alive as long as possible - kill as many bugs as possible - before the inevitable.

The frenzied, chittering, clawing, biting, slashing mass could not be held back.

Perhaps with greater numbers, better preparation, maintainance of the wall and it's equipment, things might have been different. But as it was, the struggle was one-sided and doomed. The best and the brightest of an entire generation - cut to ribbons, buried under the enormity of the enemy onslaught, presumably eaten down to the bone, and left in the sun to dry and wither.

Through this doomed struggle, one group of men fight with desperation to reach the stables, in the hopes of being able to outpace the invaders. To mount a defence elsewhere.

Lead by a kuzumian lieutenant, they charge headlong through the various enemies that - for one reason or another - have wound up on the other side of the wall. Even as the defenders on said wall are failing, dying, they cut and bludgeon their way towards the horses.