New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: [Dreamscarred Press] Psionics Augmented: Occult

Quote Originally Posted by MilleniaAntares View Post
    The Hierophant Monomyth for the Host of Heroes Aegis says: "6 Points: You gain the following free customizations: darkvision, flight. You gain the following free customizations: retaliate, stalwart."

If the four free customizations are intended, then they should be in one sentence.

However, I think that darkvision + flight is more than enough. Flight is really really good after all...
    Thanks for the heads up! And thanks in large part to the commentary we've already received, we will be (at least in part) reworking the way monomyth is set up.

SO we will definitely take all suggestions, comments, concerns, and complaints into account on our way to a strong, finalized product :)
    Author of Psionics Augmented: Seventh Path, Host of Heroes
    Contributing Author of Psionics Augmented: Mind and Soul

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Except the aegis could've just spent 2 points on flight at level 5 instead of waiting for 6th.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Glad to hear you like it. The implements received at low levels don't have their powers known scale, yes. It's a little odd, but I figured that in order to keep their relatively unique power-learning mechanic, it's for the best. In comparison, a normal Occultist learns 42 spells, but they're scattered across each level. Psionic powers scale slightly worse when not used at full power, but many scale significantly better than low-level spells with their augments. The the eventual conclusion was that between this and the fact that they can pull their powers from any list, they should have less powers known overall (and keep it scaling at something closer to the speed of normal manifesters) than the Occultist has spells.
    That makes sense. I'm just a little concerned that people won't be able to pick up their favorite discipline at low levels for fear of not getting enough powers. I'd prefer if the implements received at lower levels scaled, and the ones at higher levels didn't. Maybe something like...

"Whenever a Shattered Mind received a new level powers, each of their existing implements gains one additional power known." (That's 5+5+5+4+3+2+1=25 powers known from implements, vs the current 20. Too much).

How about...

"Whenever a Shattered mind receives a new level of powers they can choose three implements to receive a new power known. Each implement can contain a maximum number of powers equal to the highest level power the shattered mind can manifest." (7 implements + 15 bonus = 22. Closer but still too high).

"Starting at level four, and at each level thereafter where the shattered mind does not receive a new implement, they can choose one implement and invest more of their mind into it, gaining one additional power known from that implement. Each implement can contain a maximum number of powers equal to the highest level power the shattered mind can manifest." (7 implements + 13 bonus = 20 total. Yessss. I like this one, it gives a more gradual progression then sudden bursts of known powers at high levels. Unless the powers being learned all at once was part of the balance?)

Regarding their mind; mechanically, a Shattered Mind is between two and eight separate creatures, telepathically linked together. Fluffwise, they're as you put it: a single mind that distrubuted across the psicrystals that has trouble expressing itself when its physical pieces aren't together. They still need the body to keep them fully networked, but as the Shattered Mind levels up, more and more of their mind will be offloaded into their "external data storage."
    So it's treated as multiple creatures for mechanics purposes, but is actually just one person. Got it.

Also, a concern regarding the capstone: It says the Shattered mind "can" take over people, implying it doesn't automatically go off when the dead shattered mind's implements are carried by people. But the implements stop functioning as psicrystals when they are dead, so they have no way of knowing if they are even being carried! As it is now, I'm reading it as the shattered mind chooses when they die to automatically try to hijack anyone suitable who picks them up or to stay inert and wait for a ressurection. Would you consider allowing the psicrystal implements to retain their senses, or have an unconscious sense of who/what is carrying them so they can selectively take over people? Or is supposed to be like a cured item virus sort of thing, anyone who touches the implements after the shattered mind's death better hope they roll good will saves?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    "Starting at level four, and at each level thereafter where the shattered mind does not receive a new implement, they can choose one implement and invest more of their mind into it, gaining one additional power known from that implement. Each implement can contain a maximum number of powers equal to the highest level power the shattered mind can manifest." (7 implements + 13 bonus = 20 total. Yessss. I like this one, it gives a more gradual progression then sudden bursts of known powers at high levels. Unless the powers being learned all at once was part of the balance?)
    This is wonderful, and solves a problem we were having difficulty with. It's been implemented. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    So it's treated as multiple creatures for mechanics purposes, but is actually just one person. Got it.

Also, a concern regarding the capstone: It says the Shattered mind "can" take over people, implying it doesn't automatically go off when the dead shattered mind's implements are carried by people. But the implements stop functioning as psicrystals when they are dead, so they have no way of knowing if they are even being carried! As it is now, I'm reading it as the shattered mind chooses when they die to automatically try to hijack anyone suitable who picks them up or to stay inert and wait for a ressurection. Would you consider allowing the psicrystal implements to retain their senses, or have an unconscious sense of who/what is carrying them so they can selectively take over people? Or is supposed to be like a cured item virus sort of thing, anyone who touches the implements after the shattered mind's death better hope they roll good will saves?
    The shattered mind's capstone was meant to work as sort of a cursed item virus sort of thing; I've edited the text slightly to that effect. If a shattered mind wants to make sure he stays dead, he should probably hook deadman switches to his pet rocks.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Really love the goetic, though I feel a small twinge of concern at the immunity to possession plus massive damage to possessors, I'm curious about the reasoning behind that effect.

Also, the class feature "Phantom Recall" is replaced twice, once by Possessed Manifestation and once by Gratuitous Horror. Not a difficult issue to fix, just something I noticed while checking the archetype for compatibility with others.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Terrible Trickery Terror for the Mindrender says it can be taken an additional time for every five levels after 11th, up to a max of four at 19th. Should be for every four levels to make sense.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

7. - Top - End - #67

This is wonderful, and solves a problem we were having difficulty with. It's been implemented. Thank you!
    Glad I could contribute. RPG rules design is fun!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aditus View Post
    Really love the goetic, though I feel a small twinge of concern at the immunity to possession plus massive damage to possessors, I'm curious about the reasoning behind that effect.

Also, the class feature "Phantom Recall" is replaced twice, once by Possessed Manifestation and once by Gratuitous Horror. Not a difficult issue to fix, just something I noticed while checking the archetype for compatibility with others.
    Regarding possessors, the reasoning behind the effect is that possession is a fairly rare ability possessed by few creatures. Many campaigns will likely run their course without seeing it come up unless the players themselves are using it. In the campaigns where it does, the ability is definitely stronger, but even then, it's a relatively niche defense that still might not come up at all. On top of that, the immunity part can be gained through a 4,500 gp expenditure (wayfinder with a clear spindle ioun stone), which also gives you blanket immunity to any and all mental control effects on top of it. Or just by casting a protection from evil spell when you think there might be a danger, even if that doesn't last all day like the wayfinder's version does.

The Phantom Recall discrepancy is being fixed as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by meemaas View Post
    The Terrible Trickery Terror for the Mindrender says it can be taken an additional time for every five levels after 11th, up to a max of four at 19th. Should be for every four levels to make sense.
    Thanks for the catch.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Right, it's less the "immune to possession" that I was commenting on than the "and any would-be possessor takes damage equal to five times [the goetic's] level, cannot take any more actions this turn, and is flat-footed for one round."

While it is relatively unlikely to come up, it still seems like a bit much to me.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by meemaas View Post
    Good catch! I'll be sure to fix that ASAP.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Well, folks - you spoke, and we listened. We got some great feedback for the host of heroes, so we went back and took a really thorough look at it. Its monomyth system has been thoroughly overhauled for power and versatility more in tune with that an aegis player is used to, we refined and polished some of the rough edges (rites of passage and the usages of forge destiny, for example), integrated some information about initiators and the host, and just generally made it better. I'm really excited about the changes, and I hope you are too! Enjoy!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alrighty, let's have a look.
    First off, two specific disciplines is kinda restrictive. I'll be keeping that restriction in mind as I look through. But I would like to note one problem there: it really pigeonholes a few of the roles in ways they may find quite useless. Golden Lion, for example, is almost exclusively melee, even some of its boosts and buffs won't do so well otherwise. So, that's kinda that for the marshal eh? Maybe if they replaced Sleeping Goddess instead: It's kinda skippable for a lot of characters due to everything on it having easy-to-make-saves.

Anyways:

1) The association system seems at first glance to be a marked improvement.

Archmage: Big improvement here as well. I'd still be very iffy on the blast given its pathetic range, but its output has certainly gone up by being a weapon. Expensive spread, though. Please remember energy blast has requirements which are not associated to the suit. Is this deliberate?

The rite of passage could be an issue: you're supposed to be using your energy blast as a weapon, but it is not something that can currently be enchanted, and your "Robes" aren't counted as armor either. May wanna add some compatibility there?

The one-a-day psychoport can be acceptable since at least it's a long distance travel power.

Marshal: there are *SIX* levels between gaining teamwork feats and being able to actually use them. That's seven too many.

Overmind: >Ranged attack. Yeah uh, I know someone else who kinda requires it for their monomyth to work. Maybe swap the two freebies? Energy Resist and Ranged Attack?

"Armor bonus to AC". Yeah no. It's a skin so you can already be wearing armor, so it'll do nothing until higher levels most of the time. Furthermore it won't actually keep up at high levels because you'd be using enchanted armor, and the touch bonus is insanely expensive; not only in PPs but because you could just use a counter, with far higher chance of avoiding the blow than this.

"Flight": Does it count AS the flight customization though? I ask effectively whether one has to purchase flight again, or if you can directly start pumping points for speed boosts as if it was flight.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Kiton2 View Post
    Alrighty, let's have a look.
    First off, two specific disciplines is kinda restrictive. I'll be keeping that restriction in mind as I look through. But I would like to note one problem there: it really pigeonholes a few of the roles in ways they may find quite useless. Golden Lion, for example, is almost exclusively melee, even some of its boosts and buffs won't do so well otherwise. So, that's kinda that for the marshal eh? Maybe if they replaced Sleeping Goddess instead: It's kinda skippable for a lot of characters due to everything on it having easy-to-make-saves.
    Thanks for taking a look at the changes so quickly! For this part, we felt that we did want to shoehorn the various heroic roles into specific initiator types; that having been said, if it doesn't play a major role in your build, or if you need a different discipline, you still have that third slot. An overall note - free customizations do not count towards monomyth.

1) The association system seems at first glance to be a marked improvement.

Archmage: Big improvement here as well. I'd still be very iffy on the blast given its pathetic range, but its output has certainly gone up by being a weapon. Expensive spread, though. Please remember energy blast has requirements which are not associated to the suit. Is this deliberate?

The rite of passage could be an issue: you're supposed to be using your energy blast as a weapon, but it is not something that can currently be enchanted, and your "Robes" aren't counted as armor either. May wanna add some compatibility there?

The one-a-day psychoport can be acceptable since at least it's a long distance travel power.
    Glad you like the change! The energy blast prereqs and Rite issue with Archmage are some things that slipped through the design cracks, and we are looking into some ways to make those work.

EDIT: The Archmage's astral suit has been changed to allow taking energy blast as early as 1st level while you are wearing it, to get you through those pesky early levels.

Marshal: there are *SIX* levels between gaining teamwork feats and being able to actually use them. That's seven too many.
    For this one, you can still use the teamwork feat when you get it, it just doesn't make you a cavalier until later. It was felt that this was ok, as we didn't want to render any other roles obsolete. The rest of the Marshal stuff is designed with synergy in mind, leading and optimizing teamwork.

Overmind: >Ranged attack. Yeah uh, I know someone else who kinda requires it for their monomyth to work. Maybe swap the two freebies? Energy Resist and Ranged Attack?

"Armor bonus to AC". Yeah no. It's a skin so you can already be wearing armor, so it'll do nothing until higher levels most of the time. Furthermore it won't actually keep up at high levels because you'd be using enchanted armor, and the touch bonus is insanely expensive; not only in PPs but because you could just use a counter, with far higher chance of avoiding the blow than this.

"Flight": Does it count AS the flight customization though? I ask effectively whether one has to purchase flight again, or if you can directly start pumping points for speed boosts as if it was flight.
    The ranged attack and energy resistance swap was an oversight, and the documents have been changed to reflect this. Good eye!
    The armor bonus is not meant to incredibly powerful. Its good if your armor is loaded with special abilities, or if you're not wearing any, and goes great with the Archmage's defensive suite if you decide to mix them.
    The flight was very much a flavor choice. Given the Overmind's nature, we felt there had to be a telekinetic representation as well as telepathic. So, we went with TK flight. The intent was that taking any future flight customizations will buff it as normal - we are investigating further clarifications in regards to that.
    Last edited by drafghast; 2016-01-13 at 01:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Remember though that it won't actually work unless others in the party have those teamwork feats. This is what is generally meant by them being nonfunctional until/unless you've got some levels in tactician, etc. They're good when they can be shared, but very weak for PCs otherwise. Without sharing, other characters have to pick the same teamwork feats at the same levels as you do or there is no effect at all until they get it, and the bonuses or abilities they grant are often only slightly better - if at all - than if everyone had just grabbed a feat for themselves.

Yes, that's a pretty big clump of ability, but unfortunately it basically needs that to work. If other things have to be taken out or delayed instead to pay for that, that may be for the best. Either that or expect (by design) no one to take it at low levels unless teamed with a teamwork feat user class in their party, and to only engage this one at 9 or more.

One last thing: You DO need to specify what weapon categories the ranged attack and energy blast can qualify for. This is important for things such as weapon adaptation, discipline focus, solar wind, and so on.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Remember though that it won't actually work unless others in the party have those teamwork feats. This is what is generally meant by them being nonfunctional until/unless you've got some levels in tactician, etc. They're good when they can be shared, but very weak for PCs otherwise. Without sharing, other characters have to pick the same teamwork feats at the same levels as you do or there is no effect at all until they get it, and the bonuses or abilities they grant are often only slightly better - if at all - than if everyone had just grabbed a feat for themselves.
    We had some internal discussion, and came to a similar conclusion as you, actually. Changes are being made now to reflect gaining the ability to share a teamwork feat earlier on, while we reserve the changeable bonus teamwork feat for a bit later. Overall, it makes you better at it, as long as you're willing to invest the feat in it. If you want to have the feat and share it without any outside investment, that happens a bit later.

One last thing: You DO need to specify what weapon categories the ranged attack and energy blast can qualify for. This is important for things such as weapon adaptation, discipline focus, solar wind, and so on.
    We're working on clarifying this one as well; results should be available soon. Thanks for the catch!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Host of Heroes is just an awesome premise, as is the Living Legend. Will it be possible to take levels in Metaforge that combine the two? (Maybe add a feat for progression)

On another note, were these archetypes at all inspired by the Graphic Novel Boxers & Saints? The main character uses a ritual very similar to what is described in these archetypes and the effect is very similar.

What I have many questions about is the premise of psionic dreamscapes. Will it be possible to create a dreamscape using psionics or interact with them in some way? Is the microcosm power considered to be a dreamscape? What about psychic duels (X-men style psionic duels would be so cool)? I would love to see more information on this topic.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thealtruistorc View Post
    The Host of Heroes is just an awesome premise, as is the Living Legend. Will it be possible to take levels in Metaforge that combine the two? (Maybe add a feat for progression)

On another note, were these archetypes at all inspired by the Graphic Novel Boxers & Saints? The main character uses a ritual very similar to what is described in these archetypes and the effect is very similar.
    Glad you like them! As far as I'm aware, none of us had actually head of Boxers & Saints (is it something you'd recommend checking out?). The Living Legend in particular was written up from what I like about the Medium and attempts to make it fit "psionics" more than "psychic magic." The "storyteller" theme was actually inspired in part by a manga called Sengoku Youko, in which a character's importance to the narrative is an in-universe plot point. Ended up taking that little fragment of a concept and spiraling it into the larger archetype.

Regarding the concept of multiclassing the Living Legend and Host of Heroes, the rest of the team I have discussed this, and the overall answer to it is "no, the metaforge isn't going to combine the two's unique abilities, no will there be a feat for it." We've worked hard to give them class features worth staying in the class for, and while I personally love prestige classes, I don't think it's right for one to be able to take over a class and become strictly better than it (which is what would happen if such a fusion worked).

However, that's not to say that multiclassing the Living Legend and Host isn't possible; in fact, thanks to some of the soulknife's options, it can be quite good. A Living Legend 4/Host of Heroes 6/Metaforge 10 with the Fighter's Blade and Student of the Astral Suit feats (Ultimate Psionics) and the Natural Blade trait (Psionics Augmented: Soulknife) gets full mind blade progression (+4 from Fighter's Blade and +2 from Natural Blade), full Astral Suit progression (+4 from Student of the Astral Suit), and some of the key class features from each (the intermediate Protagonist powers, and the 3 and 6-point Monomyth abilities). It won't get the later class features, but is a functional fusion of the two concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thealtruistorc View Post
    What I have many questions about is the premise of psionic dreamscapes. Will it be possible to create a dreamscape using psionics or interact with them in some way? Is the microcosm power considered to be a dreamscape? What about psychic duels (X-men style psionic duels would be so cool)? I would love to see more information on this topic.
    That's something that's been discussed internally but hasn't had a lot of focus yet; all I can really say about it is that we're taking how best to handle those into consideration.

18. - Top - End - #78

OrcBarbarianGuy

Glad you like them! As far as I'm aware, none of us had actually head of Boxers & Saints (is it something you'd recommend checking out?). The Living Legend in particular was written up from what I like about the Medium and attempts to make it fit "psionics" more than "psychic magic." The "storyteller" theme was actually inspired in part by a manga called Sengoku Youko, in which a character's importance to the narrative is an in-universe plot point. Ended up taking that little fragment of a concept and spiraling it into the larger archetype.
    Thanks for your response. I have also read and loved Sengoku Youko. Boxers and Saints is a graphic novel pair based on the Boxer Rebellion in China (one book tells the story from the rebel perspective, the other from the loyalist perspective), and is definitely worth checking out for history or fantasy fans.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

19. - Top - End - #79

ElfRangerGuy

Since we are talking Aegis here, why does Energy Blast cost 2cp? Ditto about Improved Ranged Attack. I'm not sure they are worth even permanent 1, and with Ranged Attack as prerequisite you can't Augment Suit either until level 12, so when you absolutely need to shoot something you are spending Reconfigure use during more than half of you character's theoretic, and likely the whole actual, life.
    Last edited by Nyaa; 2016-01-18 at 03:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

The reason for those, according to the bosses, is that when making the aegis they, they felt that the ranged attacks and energy blasts were not the primary focus of the class. It's possible that we might do an archetype that does go wild with ranged attacks (as the Host of Heroes merely makes them usable as a primary, instead of outright focusing on them), but on the base aegis, they were intended as backup weapons.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I really want to like the Crystalline Binder, but I have to ask something - what is the point of it? That is to say, the archetype gets a psicrystal and chops everything else numerical about the archetype in half. Is it meant to be a support for the psionic version of Spiritualist? They can get the psicrystal with a feat without gutting their class numbers. So clearly, not meant to support them except on a ridiculously feat starved build where you might maybe break even.

I will go on to say that I -want- to like it. I really, truly do. I just think the archetypes takes away more than it gives.

-Unless your DM rules that Share Power + Share Spells are equivocal due to Psionics/Magic transparency, you can't target it with spells.

-You don't have Vigor+Share pain for shenanigans when your psicrystal is untargetable and immune to damage, unless you take the psionic archetype which as I have stated, doesn't need this.

-You get to roll twice on knowledge checks (about the only skill your Psicrystal can make when you make it), but you're not an int primary class and skill points are a premium with only four.

-You can shunt debilitating conditions to your psicrystal... Except you can do that baseline, and get better perks for having your Phantom confined in your brain.

-Your Phantom gets DR 20/- way later than it matters, due to the inflation of damage curve.

-It gets an extra bite attack, which while nice won't noticeably increase its damage output vs an Eidolon or one of the 'Best in Slot' Animal Companions. Or a fighter. Or anything else which can do the DPR game. So I am not sure why it came around, except for the beauty of omni-mundane DR piercing AoO.

So you're overall left with a archetype which is weaker than the base class in every way, which while part of Paizo's design philosophy is something that I understand Dreamscarred Press has a reputation for attempting to avoid. Since literally no-one has posted about that archetype, and the idea of it is interesting to me I wanted to voice my own concerns.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by StygianRose View Post
    I really want to like the Crystalline Binder, but I have to ask something - what is the point of it? That is to say, the archetype gets a psicrystal and chops everything else numerical about the archetype in half. Is it meant to be a support for the psionic version of Spiritualist? They can get the psicrystal with a feat without gutting their class numbers. So clearly, not meant to support them except on a ridiculously feat starved build where you might maybe break even.

I will go on to say that I -want- to like it. I really, truly do. I just think the archetypes takes away more than it gives.

-Unless your DM rules that Share Power + Share Spells are equivocal due to Psionics/Magic transparency, you can't target it with spells.

-You don't have Vigor+Share pain for shenanigans when your psicrystal is untargetable and immune to damage, unless you take the psionic archetype which as I have stated, doesn't need this.

-You get to roll twice on knowledge checks (about the only skill your Psicrystal can make when you make it), but you're not an int primary class and skill points are a premium with only four.

-You can shunt debilitating conditions to your psicrystal... Except you can do that baseline, and get better perks for having your Phantom confined in your brain.

-Your Phantom gets DR 20/- way later than it matters, due to the inflation of damage curve.

-It gets an extra bite attack, which while nice won't noticeably increase its damage output vs an Eidolon or one of the 'Best in Slot' Animal Companions. Or a fighter. Or anything else which can do the DPR game. So I am not sure why it came around, except for the beauty of omni-mundane DR piercing AoO.

So you're overall left with a archetype which is weaker than the base class in every way, which while part of Paizo's design philosophy is something that I understand Dreamscarred Press has a reputation for attempting to avoid. Since literally no-one has posted about that archetype, and the idea of it is interesting to me I wanted to voice my own concerns.
    Hello I am Kaidinah, the author of the Athanatic Channeler, Crystalline Binder and the Unpattern. Thank you very much for your feedback!

I will be looking into the share spell/share power. I do wish to make the crystalline binder work just fine, whether using psionics or psychic magic.

The reason the save vs mind affecting effects was halved and the skill bonuses reduced was because the psicrystal's personality grants a bonus (+2 to will saves even, depending on what you choose) and Alertness in most situations you would want it. Additionally, the psicrystal can also roll perception and sense motive quite well. It is more that just a knowledge enhancement. I believe that as it is now, the reduction received in skill bonuses and saves is more than made up for by the utility gained.

As for the DR, the other designers and I agree that it comes too late. This will be addressed.

The primary advantage of the crystalline bond ability is that it allows the Crystalline Binder to provide spell support while the Phantom remains to tank. The base spiritualist's equivalent class feature instead removes the phantom from the table to grant the Spiritualist some tankiness.

Is there any other reason you feel the Crystalline Binder is weaker than the base class? I would like to address any concerns you may have.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh, hello! It is so nice to hear from you.

I am glad that the DR is being looked into, because bonded manifestation in the Crystalline Binder's version is significantly more appealing to me than turning into a goo tentacle monster.

The primary advantage of the crystalline bond ability is that it allows the Crystalline Binder to provide spell support while the Phantom remains to tank. The base spiritualist's equivalent class feature instead removes the phantom from the table to grant the Spiritualist some tankiness.
    This actually begs a question I have wished to ask, which is if your Psicrystal stays in your hand if you were holding it when you activate Crystalline Bond, and simply becomes immune:all until you deactivate or run out of rounds? Or does the psicrystal disappear into your phantom and pop out when it ends potentially 30+ feet away?

Your text here seems to imply that the Binder can cast spells through share spell/power while holding the untargetable crystal and buff the Phantom?

I think my biggest hope for the Binder is that it will get more of a synergism between the phantom and the crystal, rather than the binder ending up as this alkward double-buddy class. As an example, disabling the Psicrystals ability to share skill ranks while the phantom is manifested but granting those ranks to the Phantom... Maybe capped by its hit die?

Or other ways that the line between crystal and phantom can be blurred, rather than being weirdly distinct entities. Now, that is only my desired interpretation, because Crystalline Binder literally revitalized a character that I attempted to make work in freefrom RPs for more than two years and pretty much gave up on until I saw your wonderful subclass.

I will have more comments about the Unpattern when I get home, but my basic feeling is that it is amazing and flavorful. In fact, my big request for it would be a Cryptic archetype that trades some features for an Unpattern Phantom.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

From the author of the Goetic spiritualist:

Hey all, wanted to prod for some feedback on goetic.

Specifically, concerns have been raised elsewhere that the goetic is problematically feat-starved, even with the Ars Goetia option. I sympathize with that, and note that the spiritualist avoids this problem because the phantom gets its own feats.

On the other hand, it does seem like a lot to give out. So I'm asking around and looking for feedback on this point: if goetic, say, started with a lower splicing cost and instead of upgrading to that cost granted a bonus feat (and possibly another later on), would it feel like the archetype is giving out too much free candy? Particularly interested in DMs who would be considering the content for their games.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, it's been another three weeks, so we've got another set of playtest materials for you all to peruse.

• The Ectoplasmic Artist, a kineticist archetype that partially shields their body from the ill effects of burn using psionic power, and manifests the remainder of their power in the form of an ectoplasmic guardian. We've also written up some new feats for kineticists.

• The Shadow Aspect, a wilder fueled by emptiness and neglect. Rather than getting standard wild surges, they gain a special type of phantom.

• Psionic discipline occultist implements; one each for athanatism, clairsentience, metacreativity, psychokinesis, psychometabolism, psychoportation, and telepathy. Any occultist with the psionic subtype may learn to use these implements, allowing a spellcasting occultist to cross over into uncharted territory, or a Shattered Mind occultist to focus entirely on psionics.

• A set of Psionic Skill Unlocks and several related feats, as well as rules for using occult skill unlocks as a psionic character.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I know this is more me thinking of the feat's fluff rather than the mechanical balance, but any chances Detect Hostility can allow for Scent as a replacement to Blind Fight for prereq purposes? With all the 'detecting the enemy's intent' and such, Scent seems to fit the situation as well.
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2016-01-29 at 06:19 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a good idea. After some discussion, we decided to make it so (and also fixed a couple things in response to other feedback).

28. - Top - End - #88

Let me just say that I really like the ectoplasmic artist. Here were all my thoughts.

Am I right in assuming that "An ectoplasmic artist cannot willingly gain burn except with this ability" means that all their burn is either forced upon them or gained through Sculptor of the Soul?

If I have a magnum opus out and use Stand Together at an enemy outside of it's reach, what happens?

I'm not sure how Stand Together works with Elemental Overflow. It looks like the free action attack gets the benefits, but the attack bonus is granted in Stand Together and the damage bonus is granted in Elemental Overflow?

How does Never Outnumbered function with rider effects? e.g. If an ectoplasmic artist is stabbed with a poisoned weapon and Never Outnumbered triggers, who takes the poison?

Impeccable Craftsmanship's 11th level upgrade seems unbalanced. Air is strong, but fire and water are pretty weak.

As far as I can tell, Grappling Infusion is the only infusion that functions with Stand Together. You might want to give it some associated infusions.

Edit:
    Should the Shadow Aspect's Shared Surge count as Wild Surge for effects? Do they get surge augments/can they use surge feats...?

Subconscious Casting runs into dependency issues. Inescapable Despair, Frightful Attack, and Sneak Attack all depend on the lost abilities.
    Last edited by TiaC; 2022-10-12 at 02:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by TiaC View Post
    Should the Shadow Aspect's Shared Surge count as Wild Surge for effects? Do they get surge augments/can they use surge feats...?

Subconscious Casting runs into dependency issues. Inescapable Despair, Frightful Attack, and Sneak Attack all depend on the lost abilities.
    Shared Surge was intended to count as Wild Surge for qualification purposes, and not having written as such can be considered to be an oversight on our part. We will be looking into other possible interactions before changing it.

Subconscious Casting may well replace other abilities, depending on if we opt to scale it differently. This is a good find, as I didn't realize precisely which abilities it would make unobtainable.

30. - Top - End - #90

RedSorcererGirl

Can you use Project Hostility more than once a day? The text itself doesn't say so, but the general rule is once a day or week.
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!