New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron Adventures

Cecil

"I can't do the stone so much as just the lights, but I suppose you can see fine. Anything up there?"
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

Butch

"Mr. Cecil, sir. While I'm going up, please decide who is going up next. I'll need someone to watch my back while I pull up the rest."

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

"If you don't mind, Butch, I'll take that position after you myself. I've a desire to see what's up there with my own eyes."

4. - Top - End - #544

Wrench

Before Caskin starts climbing to the next level, Wrench will hand him the knotted rope. "Just secure the end of this when you get up there and toss the other end down to us. Then the rest of us will follow."
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-09-21 at 10:50 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

5. - Top - End - #545
    Barbarian in the Playground

Caskin

Caskin clings to the wall, remaining motionless for a few moments, before whispering, "I saw one of the rats, and it seemed to see me, too. Ran off farther in. There's a big rock up there I can use to secure the rope."

He cranes his neck a bit to see around the boulder and into the passage, but fails. "I'm going to do a little recon from up here to see down that passage, before I deal with the rope."

He tosses the sunrod back to Wrench, saying, "Looks like we'll be able to do without it for a bit." Dropping back to the floor, he quickly wraps the rope around his waist, creating a simple, loose loop knot, before scuttling up the chasm wall on the opposite side so as to gain the best angle possible to look into northern outlet.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    New spot check: (1d20+2)[10](12)
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-09-23 at 02:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #546

This is a chasm, not a cave. Thus you were able to climg one of the side walls to get a decent look at the top ledge, but you can't climb on the ceiling because there isn't one.

7. - Top - End - #547

Butch

When Caskin moves around and talks about going in for a closer look, Butch relaxes his grip on the wall and unties the rope around his waist. He quietly coils his rope and releases his scythe from the other end. With his rope stowed, he starts to rummage through his ration bag. "Anyone got chicken?"

8. - Top - End - #548

Wrench

Mutter, mutter, grumble, grumble.
    Spoiler
    Show
    IC: "Stupid fleshbag, can't just throw down the rope so the rest of us can get up there to. I'm just going to have to make myself a flying carpet one of these days."

OOC: "Stupid fleshbag, always trying to split the party, when we should be sticking together. The cardinal rule of this game is you never split the party. And Flying Carpets are freakin' cool!"
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-09-23 at 06:37 PM.
    The Tangled Web

9. - Top - End - #549

Well, this is interesting and all, but I'm going to teleport everyone to the top of the landing. I'm sure much rope and tactical ability was used to get everyone up there. There is a narrow exit that Caskin saw a rat run down before going out of sight.

Here's the room and a bit of the hallway for situational awareness: (note 1 square =~10ft)

Now, let's get this rolling again.
    Last edited by Bigmac; 2007-09-24 at 12:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550

Wrench

"Nice work." He'll take his rope back and stow it in his pack. He looks to cecil for direction for the next step of the journey.
    The Tangled Web

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

"Let's get moving down that narrow passage, if we can. I'll take point, but I'd prefer someone with better eyes than mine to follow close behind. I don't want any surprises," he says, readying his great blade.

12. - Top - End - #552

Can you be more specific where you want to go? N, W, or E from the intersection?

13. - Top - End - #553
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azmirith

Looking to his companions, he says "Cecil, my eyes are as good as anyones, I will follow you where you choose to go and act as your eyes."

[ooc]I think we were goint to head north, but maybe I misunderstood[/ooc]
    Sweet Cap. America Avi by KPenguin

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

"My thanks, Azmirith. I trust your eyes just fine."

<<OOC: My mistake. Yes, north (that's the second passageway, yes?).>>

15. - Top - End - #555

Butch

Butch takes up the rear guard watching for movement in the other passages. "Hey Caskin. Can you stay topside to act as high guard? We can get a better lay of the land with your perspective. Thow down that white chalk so I can mark our path."

Spoiler
    Show

It will help a lot from a mapping perspective if Caskin is topside and can point out various passages for us. Even if he doesn't actually look in them to verify encounters. It would be easier for Bigmac to give us maps that way.

16. - Top - End - #556

Wrench

Wrench falls in step with the rest.
    The Tangled Web

17. - Top - End - #557

Caskin

Having performed his various tasks with utter precision, and to the tacit applause of the rest, he takes to the walls, once again. He seems almost as confident there as he is on the ground.

By request, he picks out one piece of white chalk from his belt pouch, and tosses it down to Butch, then turns his attention to the rockface farther above.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bigmac - Until further notice, this entire area will be sans ceiling, is that the plan? How high are the walls at this point (i.e. how high up is 'topside'? Would the plants and such growing at the sides (assuming we're still in a chasm setting as before), allow me to see anything more than the fissures that form the paths? For instance, at this point, can I see the floor and the other members without problem?

18. - Top - End - #558

For VE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can move about 50 to 60ftt up on the walls and still keep a decent eye on the canyon floor. After that it's getting too dark and the brush too dense to see clearly. You can also use the darkness and brush concealment to hide if you so desire.

The group makes it's way forward with Casking walking along the wall overhead. As the group approaches an opening ahead, caskin spots 4 small hidoues looking figures in the opening. One of them notices Caskin and fires a bolt at him as he shouts a warning to the group.

To those that can see the creatures, they look like small four armed goblinoids with mishapen heads and a huge mouth. picture

Here's some mappage for you:

Roll Initiative.
    Last edited by Bigmac; 2007-09-25 at 03:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559

Wrench

Initiative - (1d20+1)[12]
    The Tangled Web

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

initiative - (1d20+6)[7]
    Azmirith springs to attention as he hears Caskin's warning.

21. - Top - End - #561

Butch

"Ack! Contact!"
    calls out Butch. He strikes a sunrod against the wall and lobs it north into the room and then backs against the wall to let others pass.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+2)[15]
    MoveAction: Manipulate item:sunrod
    Action: Throw sunrod 4 squares north NE corner (AC 5, targeting square)
    Assuming one range band away for -2 Attack
    ThrowSunrod - (1d20+2)[10]
    Note: Moving aside is more fluff since you can pass through friendly squares if they allow it. Just no charging or stopping there.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil (HP: 20 AC: 15) Initiative: (1d20+1)[8](9)

"Ach!" Cecil cries, not knowing what the creatures are but feeling that there is something fundementally... wrong with them. "Khyber things!" Seeing a clear path toward the one in the exit tunnel, the old soldier dashes toward it, falchion held high.

Spoiler
    Show
    NOT charging, but attacking dolgrim 3. (1d20+6)[10](16) to hit, doing (2d4+3)[6] on a successful attack.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Orc in the Playground

Threshkor

Initiative - (1d20+1)[2]

Thrshkor will take a position next to Butch after he has had his action.

{OOC- Sorry for the late post, I have been pretty busy}
    Incredible Avatar done expertly By Simius
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome Bleach Sigatar done by Magioth.
    Amazing Falzar Avvy by thecrimsonmage.

24. - Top - End - #564

Caskin
    ( Round 1 | Init: 22 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: E0 )

A shift to one side sees the creature's crossbow bolt impact the stone and bounce off, spinning toward the floor. Before it starts to clatter, Caskin's tattooed hand is open-palmed at a knot of creatures near the opposite wall. Though nothing visible emanates from the palm, the room is suddenly filled with the sounds of thousands of tiny wings beating furiously, and the chittering calls that unmistakably identify them as belonging to bats.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thought I'd add a grid for my convenience, if no one else's.

Okay, I've used my Summon Swarm invocation on squares F3,F4,E4,D5. Assuming I have high init, creatures 1,2 and 4 will suffer 1d6 each at the end of my turn (the same as the swarm's): #1 takes 4, #2 takes 6, #4 takes 5. The swarm does not need to make attack rolls. All needed rolls (including my init roll) are in the rolling thread.

Relevant swarm data: 13HP (the book average) / 3HD creature. AC16 (14T/12FF). Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +3. Imm: Crits, flanking.

They do not suffer a miss chance for concealment or cover.

Distraction - Each of the gobbie-likes must make a DC11 Fort save or be nauseated for the rest of the round (assuming they begin their turn in a swarmed square).

Wounding - Each of the gobbie-likes will suffer 1HP/round until/unless the bleeding is stopped by a DC 10 Heal check or the application of a cure spell or some other healing magic.

If the gobbie-likes have DR, it is applicable, and can prevent the wounding if it blocks 100% of the damage, but not the distraction.

Swarms are rather complex, so I'll let you know if any of the other, less likely, details become relevant, if you don't want to study the swarm data yourself.

Oh, and duration is as long as I concentrate (so I'm subject to losing it if I'm hit/etc.). Dismissing the swarm is a free action.
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-09-26 at 10:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565

Moments after the bolt is fired at Caskin, a dense swarm of shrieking bats materilaze around the shocked creatures, brusing and cutting all over. The dolgrims attempt to ward off the creatures with their multiple limbs to no avial. There is no esacpe and the sudden fury with with the swam consumes the creatures leaves them little resilve to do anything but cower under the assult.

The Dolgrim in the passageway closes on Cecil (moves to E1). He swings his morningstar down hard on the vetran warrior's leg, connecting just above the kneecap. (Cecil takes 5 damage) It uses another arm to position the shiled to protect it's head while thrusting underneath it with a spear held in yet another of it's four arms. The spear, however, manages to miss Cecil, sliding past the warrior's side without touching him.

See map in Caskin's post for now, noting that a swarm is in the effected squares and D3 moved to E1.

Initiative Order:
    Caskin
    Swarm
    Dg3
    Butch <=
    Wrench
    Cecil
    Dg4
    Azmirith
    Dg2
    Threskor
    Dg1.

Currently Butch's turn. Wrench can go after him and I'll do Cecil's move if it's still valid (attack 3) or he can redo it when we get to him.
    Last edited by Bigmac; 2007-09-26 at 08:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566

{OOC: Butch already posted actions in his last post.}

Wrench
    HP: 13/13
    AC: 18(vt 11, ff 17)

Wrench uncaps his scroll case and draws out a long scroll. He begins reciting the words and tries to activate the scroll's latent power.

He succeeds, and fire a Magic Missile at the Dolgrim that just attacked Cecil.

UMD to activate Magic Missile scroll - (1d20+12)[31] DC 21 for success
    Magic Missile damage - (1d4+1)[3]

{OOC: Move: Draw Scroll
    Standard: Activate spell}
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-09-26 at 02:27 PM.
    The Tangled Web

27. - Top - End - #567

Butch lights the sunrod and flings it into the room. The bright light fills most of the room save for the corner surrounded by a living mass of darkness that now casts even darker shadows that dance along the canyon walls.

Wrench retrieves a scroll from within the container covered with arcane runes. The unnatural mix of the warforged's voice combined with the offbeat cadence necessary to unlock the magic of the scroll is disconcerting to those who have not heard it before. As Wrench finishes his utterences a flash of energy flies from the scroll, zips around Cecil, over the thing's shield and strikes the dolgrim in between it's eyes.

As the dolgrim cries out in pain it reflexivly grabs at it's face. Seizing the opportunity afforeded by his distracted opponent, Cecil uses the opening to bring the full weight of his falchion down on the thing. The sword cuts a mighty gash in the things chest, yet even as the blade finishes its arc the wound begins to close in front of Cecil's eyes. The creature shrieks at Cecil in some unknown tougne.

As it does so, one of the dolgrims engulfed by the swarm escapes from the chaos and moves to block the exit (Dg4 moves to C2). It fixes its gaze on the creature clinging to the cliffs and fires a bolt from it's crossbow at Caskin. This bolt manages to fly true and hits Caskin in his shoulder (Caskin takes 2 points of damage). While it does cause his balance to shift, Caskin easily remains attached to the wall.

Initiative Order:
    Caskin
    Swarm
    Dg3
    Butch
    Wrench
    Cecil
    Dg4
    Azmirith <=
    Dg2
    Threskor
    Dg1

Azmirith and Threshkor can both post their actions for this round since Dg 1 and 2 are currently preoccupied with the bats.

Caskin, go ahead and make a concentration check.
    Last edited by Bigmac; 2007-09-26 at 08:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568

Caskin
    ( Round 1 | Init: 22 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: E0 )

Caskin grunts and hisses like a snake when the bolt passes through his left shoulder cap, but for the moment, his resolve to plague the ugly things with his beautiful bats remains.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration Check vs DC12 - (1d20+6)[11](17).

Does the one that shot me appear to be affected by the nausea (a little wobbly or such)?

In my map, I'm assuming Butch meant he threw the sunrod 5 squares north (not 4) and into the NW "corner" (not the NE), because it would require him to move up the line, then back, which he didn't specify. Thus, I illuminated the squares with line of sight/effect from that square, and left the others alone, to indicate not enough light bleed to change the square's state from shadowy to lit.

If you would, please note where the blotch of darkness is located using the grid on my map, so's I can mark it in.

Butch - Please let me know if you really meant to toss the sunrod into some other square than D1.
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-09-29 at 05:09 AM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azmirith

with morningstar in hand, Azmirith focuses for a split second, focusing his energies around him. He then, shrowded in his own expelled ki, steps around Cecil, across the room, to Dolgrim 4, and with a soft, hissing battlecry, strikes that beast.

Spoiler
    Show

use swift action to turn invisible
    move action to d3
    attack as standard action, ending inivisibility
    attack - (1d20+4)[9]
    damage - (1d8+3)[8]

30. - Top - End - #570

Sorry, running a bit short on time today, and I'm going to have to work on my computer this weekend. So here goes. Threshkor stays put (no action in time= your character doesn't do anything). The other two Dolgrims reamin in the swarm too naeusated by the bats to do anything. Top of the next round, Caskin is up. VE, if you want to update the map it would sure help me out. I'll fancy this up later so it flows better, but it should keep combat rolling for now.