New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron Adventures

Caskin
    ( Round 3 | Init: 8 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: F-2 | Elevation: 10' )

Sneering at the thing's quick reactions as well as its having moved partly out of side behind the bulge in the stone wall, Caskin scuttles to the floor behind Cecil, and with a short hop attaches himself to the stone spur behind Wrench, smoothly scaling the wall to rise several feet above the warforged.

With a clear line, once again, he thrusts his palm forward and releases yet another bolt of eldritch power.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    actions: Move down to E1 (15' down wall), cross to F2 (5'), scale wall to a height of 10' = 30' move.
    Attack Sir Icky with a zappy bolt: e-blast: (1d20+5)[18](23) vs Touch AC for (1d6+1)[2](3) (both include +1 for Point Blank Shot). Not much damage, but it's better than a total whiff!
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-10-20 at 03:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #662

Round 3

~*~

~*~

3. - Top - End - #663

Caskin moves to a better vantage point and manages to hit the occupied creature with another of his arcane blasts. The thing howls in pain as the energy burns away what withered flesh it has when it strikes him. Seizing the moment, Wrench charges in towards the creatue and brings his weight to bear, striking a mighty blow straight to the things chest. His hands hum increases to a mild roar as it approaches the thing and they let of a blast of energy as they touch the creature. Unfortuantly, the charge set Wrench off balance, and the Dolgaunt capitialized by tossing Wrench to the ground and followes it up with a swift kick that clangs against the adamantine armor. (4 dmg to wrench).

Butch is up.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac View Post
    the Dolgaunt capitialized by tossing Wrench to the ground
    {OOC: Don't I get to make an opposed check against its trip attack? I'm guessing it has a special feat that prevents me from getting an AoO.}
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

5. - Top - End - #665

Butch
    AC: 17 HP: 2/18

Butch steps up and swings at the flailing creature to no avail.
    Spoiler
    Show

5' step
    attack - (1d20+8)[1](9) Wow, I can't seem to roll for sh*t.
    damage - (2d4+11)[17]
    Last edited by Citizen Joe; 2007-10-21 at 11:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azmirith

Azmirith will let out a yell, and swing at the thing, the anger blinding him so his swing goes horribly wide.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[7]
    (1d8+3)[8]
    Last edited by KCiemir; 2007-10-22 at 05:25 PM.
    Sweet Cap. America Avi by KPenguin

7. - Top - End - #667

Butch and Azmirith both find it difficult to pin the thing down as it moves graefully between each of thier strikes. The melee also seem to have confused Cecil, who fires another glob of acid that manages to miss eveyone involved.

Caskin is up, followed by wrench.

8. - Top - End - #668

Wrench
    HP: 11/13
    AC: 19(vt:11 ff:18)

May need Prone penalties. -4 Melee, +4 Ranged

Wrench gets to his feet, risking the attack from the Dolgaunt.

Once up, he swings at the creature.

Slam Attack - (1d20+4)[8] (Actually a 10, because of flanking)
    Mods: +1BAB, +1STR, +2Enhance(Bane), +2Flanking
    Bludg Dmg - (1d4+3)[4]
    Mods: +1STR, +2Enhance(Bane)
    Bane Dmg - (2d6)[10]
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-22 at 06:38 PM.
    The Tangled Web

9. - Top - End - #669

Caskin
    ( Round 4 | Init: 8 | AC: 17 | HP: 14/14 | Position: F-2 | Elevation: 20' )

It wasn't spectacular, but Caskin had become somewhat fond of downing foes by attrition. However, this wasn't the usual situation. He was normally alone and with plenty of room--and time--within which to maneuver. For now, he was reduced to simply focusing his energies into something that seemed to injure the thing more effectively than the metal most of the others relied upon.

Although Wrench had been knocked prone and thus didn't present an obstacle, Caskin nonetheless scuttled upwards to a height of some twenty feet, the same as earlier, before releasing a new gout of eldritch power.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which is to say:

e-blast: (1d20+5)[16](21) vs Touch AC for (1d6+1)[1](2) (both include +1 for Point Blank Shot).

Feh. Minimum damage. I guess I meant what I said more than I thought I meant what I said about a war of attrition.

10. - Top - End - #670

Caskin is getting used to the things movements, and manages to land another blast on target. The blast provides enough of a distraction for Wrench to pull himself up off the ground and easily absorb the half hearted punch thrown by the Dolgaunt. It was able to regain its senses enough to avoid being hit by the punishing arms of the warfored.

Seeing that it is getting worn down, the Dolguant turns to attack Azmirith, latching on with tenticles and arms in an sick embrace that draws the life out of Azmirith. (Az takes 10 points of damage and 1 con damge. The thing is now grappeling with Azmirith, so attacks have a chance of hitting either of them and they both are in square A2).

Butch is up.

11. - Top - End - #671

Butch

In a desperate act, Butch swings as hard as he can into the brawl, heedless of anyone's safety. Knowing only that he must protect Mr. Cecil from this monstrosity.

Spoiler
    Show

attack - (1d20+6)[17](23)
    damage - (2d4+11)[16]
    Dolguant1 Azmirith2 - (1d2)[2]
    Some confusion about melee attacks hitting wrong grappler. If that does apply, use that cleave roll in the next two post (cleave+action boost). If the miss chance doesn't apply to melee, then put that action point into the power attack to increase the damage by another 4.
    Last edited by Citizen Joe; 2007-10-23 at 07:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #672

Spoiler
    Show

Cleave - (1d20+6)[7](13)+3 from action dice
    damage - (2d4+11)[15]
    Last edited by Citizen Joe; 2007-10-23 at 06:57 AM.

13. - Top - End - #673

Butch

Spoiler
    Show

Boosting that cleave
    Action Dice for cleave - (1d6)[3]

14. - Top - End - #674

As the horror begins to feed off of Azmirith's lifeblood, Butch is able to find a way around the rocks for his blade to attack the creature. He hooks the creature from behind with his scythe and pulls, letting the blade cut through the thing as it rips it off of Azmirith. The force of the pull causes Butch to fall backwards once the blade slips free of the creature. The fall is not so dire, however, because the thing now lays in a pool of dark blood. A wide gash nearly splitting the thing from side to side opens its midsection spilling entrails and other strange innards across the chasm floor. The tenticlas flail about for a few more moments before they too lie still.

15. - Top - End - #675

Wrench

Seeing the beast go down, Wrench turns to his fallen companion. "Threshkor!"

He runs over to his side and draws out a healing potion. Unfortunately, as Wrench tries to lift the cleric's head to take the potion, he can feel that the neck is broken. It is clearly too late, and with a shake of his head, he draws the potion back. "He's gone. Dolurrh has him now."

Looking around at the others, Wrench asks, "Any other injuries?" He spots Azmirith, and heads over towards him, this time drawing out a scroll instead of a potion. While Azmirith is in severe condition, he isn't on the very brink, yet, so Wrench will attempt to save the potion for later.

Unfurling the scroll, he'll begin reciting the spell, and if it works, apply the healing energies towards Azmirith.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-23 at 10:20 AM.
    The Tangled Web

16. - Top - End - #676

UMD - (1d20+12)[18] DC 21
    Mods: +3CHA +5Ranks +2Synergy +2Artificer
    HP Restored - (1d8+1)[8]
    The Tangled Web

17. - Top - End - #677

Wrench keep's trying...

UMD - (1d20+12)[14]
    UMD - (1d20+12)[16]
    UMD - (1d20+12)[29]

{OOC: Assuming Azmirith didn't stabilize, that puts him at +1 HP. Would be higher, but he would have bled out while I was trying to activate the spell.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-23 at 10:30 AM.
    The Tangled Web

18. - Top - End - #678

Butch

Seeing the 'demon' split in half and the last of the writhing cease, Butch lays back on the ground panting and coughing out some blood that hit to his jaw. "Ah yink ah yit mah hung." *cough*

After a few moments he catches his breath and struggles to his feet. Kneeling beside Threshkor, he mumbles a quiet prayer and closes the priest's eyes. Then he covers the body with his blanket and stands.

"Ye han yeev eez ahyeez eer." He points at the bodies in the corner. "Ah yed, ye han yeev eez ahyeez eer. Ye orth ill thee em."

19. - Top - End - #679

Wrench

"Butch, I think you've snapped a hinge in your Jaw frame. Hold still while I fix it."

Wrench takes out a few more scrolls (3 of them)

And will try to activate them on Azmirith and Butch.

HP Scroll 1 - (1d8+1)[3] <<Azmirith
    HP Scroll 2 - (1d8+1)[6] <<Azmirith
    HP Scroll 3 - (1d8+1)[5] <<Butch

UMD - (1d20+12)[15]
    UMD - (1d20+12)[27] <<Success
    UMD - (1d20+12)[26] <<Success
    UMD - (1d20+12)[15]
    UMD - (1d20+12)[30] <<Success
    Edit: Removed extra unecessary rolls

"Now, what were you trying to say?"

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-23 at 10:57 AM.
    The Tangled Web

20. - Top - End - #680

Butch
    AC: 17 HP: 7/18

Butch rolls his tongue about, "Lalalalalaa... Ah, that's better. Ya, we can't leave these bodies here. If the orc finds them he'll know something is amiss."

He sighs at Threshkor's body. "He didn't deserve that. We'll need to bring his body back with us. I want to make sure he receives a proper burial."

Sighing again he shakes his head. "Mr. Cecil, I doubt we can take much more of this. Azzy and I are both badly hurt and Brother Threshkor was our source of water. I don't know if we'll even have enough water to make it back to our check point. There are some hard decisions to be made. Do we turn back now or press on? If we press on, we can't stay down here in these passages. All our adversaries are down here, and they have fortified their defenses. I don't trust that side passage that demon suggested either. In our condition a common rat could kill us all. I strongly suggest we head upwards to the top of these canyons and proceed with a clear view of our surrounds. I know it is a difficult climb, but both Mr. Caskin and I can make it, and I can haul the rest of you up to the top. Spanning the chasms may be difficult, but we can control that danger. We can't afford to step around a corner into a division of Droaamites."

21. - Top - End - #681

Wrench

Wrench starts going through Threshkor's posessions, looking for those scrolls which he gave to him earlier.

"I think we should continue forward. I can tend your wounds, and provide water tomorrow, so long as you have a container. Although I think we are much more likely to find a mountain stream in the valley. Thats what valleys are made by, right?

Though I agree that, for the moment, we should avoid that side passage. With us this close to finding the downed airship, I am in favor of mending our wounds and continuing forward to reach it. The only reason not to would be so I could recover my infusions, but that can wait. The airship is down here somewhere, so we need to be down here to find it.

Besides, orcs are not all bad. There is a chance that since they were enemies of this Kyber thing, that we can convince them to aid us, if they learn we have destroyed their enemy. I'm much more open to striking a deal with an orc than with all the demons in the darkness below.

I say we take the head of the Kyber thing, advance to the north exit, talk our way past the orc guarding it, using the thing's head as proof of our deeds, and then get to the airship and our goal.

What do you say, Commander?"
    Wrench asks turning to Cecil.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-23 at 03:02 PM.
    The Tangled Web

22. - Top - End - #682

Cecil looks shell shocked for a moment, and stands staring at the lifeless body of Threshkor. He takes a few deep breaths to compose himself before answering Wrench's question. "I'm sorry, but I just don't feel qualified to be considered the leader of this group. I might have been the ticket on board this train, but I definatly not the conductor. I recruited everyone to help deliver horses to Orcbone. You have done that and more. I'm glad to fight by your side, and proud to call you friends, but... Cecil pauses and looks at Threskor once more. He runs his hands through his hear, trying to hide the tears welling up in his eyes. "..I want no more blood on my hands. What we decide to do, from now on we decide as a team of equals."

Butch, you have great ideas and plans, and I'm glad you speak your mind. Wrench, I consider you as much a part of this team as anyone else, and your say counts just as much. Azmirith, you have fought with more grit and determination than many I have served with before. And, Mr. Caskin, I can't thank you enough for your assistance during the fight. As far as I'm concerned, your included in the group as well. I'd like to know your thoughts on this as well.

"Having said that, I think we must press on to find this ship. Yes, there could be more dangers ahead, but who would we be if we left whatever surviors alone to fend them off by themselfs. No, we have come too far and paid too much to turn back now."

23. - Top - End - #683

Butch

Butch grumbles lowly shaking his head at Wrench. "It won't work," he states matter of factly, "That orc is a Droaamite, and he's got his own demon beasts with him. He won't care what you say because he isn't supposed to be on this side of the border. So he'll do everything he can to silence us. Besides, you don't speak orkish and I'm sure my translation would result in all of us getting killed."

Looking back down at the dolgaunt he continues, "Remember also that we just barely managed to stop this beast and it was confident that it would kill us all. It was distinctly worried about fighting that orc, which means he thought the orc was significantly tougher than itself. No, we can't risk an encounter with that orc unless it is on our terms. That means scouting, that means clear sight, that means being in our best fighting condition."

His face turns dour, "And now the hard part... Brother Threshkor deserves a proper burial but not here in these corrupted mountains. Obviously, we can't carry his body around but there is one grizzly possibility..." He stares at one of the 'wonder packs' "He won't fit... with his legs...."

24. - Top - End - #684

Wrench

"You assume too much, Butch. The orc may be a droaamite, or he may have tracked the Kyber thing from somewhere else. Orcs are not solely found in Droaam. Also, they wouldn't be Demon Beasts with an Orc. Just normal beasts.

Even if he is a Droaamite, then so long as he cares more about the Kyber thing than borders, we have the advantage in bargaining.

If our plan was to fight the Orc and his beasts, I might be concerned. But since that isn't our plan, we have nothing to worry about from his superior strength and numbers.

The hard part is just a matter of some manual labor. These mountains are not so corrupted. We can bury him here. Its a far better option than mutilating him by cutting off his legs!"
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-23 at 08:22 PM.
    The Tangled Web

25. - Top - End - #685

Butch

Butch raises an incredulous eyebrow. "Not corrupted!? The only thing I've seen here that WASN'T corrupted was that bird you talked to... and it was scared of this place. I'll accept burying our brother in the valley, but this canyon is cursed."

Butch takes a deep breath and lets out a low decisive grunt. "OK, this is what we're going to do. Mr. Caskin, you're our eyes with what is left of the daylight. You go topside and map out the cliff islands so we can plot our route. Wrench has some used paper that you can use. We don't need all the firewood we have left. We'll prepare a pyre for these bodies. Not Brother Threshkor's though. Wrench, you and I will search the corpses for anything useful and put them on the pyre. I want to keep one of the tentacles and the head of that beast for identification. Maybe one of the claws off the small things. Azzy and Mr. Cecil will watch north and south exits respectively. When Mr. Caskin returns, we'll plot our course and make our way to the northern most point from atop the cliffs. From there we should have a reasonable view of the orc and hopefully the airship. When we are ready, someone will light the pyre as a distraction and we will make our way quickly to the airship for the recovery."

26. - Top - End - #686

Wrench

Tilting his head slightly, Wrench asks "Why are you giving orders? You were not made commanding officer. Let us wait and hear what the others think.

I agree with taking Threshkor's corpse out of this canyon at least, but it will have to wait for the return trip. Burning the bodies is a bad idea. It may be a distraction, but it will also draw attention to this area. It will certainly be spotted by whoever brought the airship down and bring them to this area, if they aren't at the crash site already."

Wrench heads over to the bodies of the Dolgrims from earlier and tries to finish his task of searching them for valuables.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-23 at 10:06 PM.
    The Tangled Web

27. - Top - End - #687

Caskin

For the time being, Caskin had remained where he was: twenty feet aloft along the rock face. He felt more comfortable there and could hear the conversation just as well as if he were on the ground.

He nodded to Cecil at his compliment, but chose not to speak at that juncture. Cecil seemed a decent sort, and Caskin felt a twinge of sympathy for his situation. It wasn't entirely unlike his own when he was conscripted to join this effort. At least, though, he wasn't charged with the success or failure of it, nor the lives of others. He threw a glance at Threshkor, and his question to Butch about so much killing being necessary seemed sadly prophetic.

His attention snapped up when Butch and Wrench began to argue plans. When Wrench moved off to resume searching the corpses, and Butch didn't immediately respond, Caskin finally interjected.

"I can scout up top to get a fix on the passageways that have open ceilings. I'd rather not go very far afield, though. This sort of terrain hides weak spots, and I fall far less gracefully than I climb. However, I will check up ahead on this path we've taken so far, and also backtrack to the earlier room where the boulder is. That side passage the creature mentioned may actually be valid, as it was masked off by that boulder. I'll see."

Caskin scratches his temple and addresses the question of the orc. "I suppose it's important to know that I am fluent in the orcish tongue. Many of my House kin are orcs, or half-such, and yes, as Wrench pointed out, not all orcs are the bloodthirsty, low-brow type some believe them all to be. The issue here, is which type was this monster afraid of?"

He licked his lips during a momentary pause, then continued. "If the orc didn't flush out this creature and his minions then I'm more inclined to think they were at a stalemate. That is, neither was particularly more capable than the other. We managed to remove this side of the stalemate, so we probably have a fair fix on the other. Now, rather than go swinging the head of the creature in front of the orc, which will tell him we've already done his job, and may only spur him to attempt to remove us now that we're injured, we might be better off trying to negotiate from the presupposition that we'll take care of the creatures for clear passage to the airship and no harassment from them. The point being that if we are to attempt to negotiate at all, we have to assume they're trustworthy enough to abide by the agreement. Then, we 'do the job' and present him the head of the creature." He pauses again to consider a detail.

"Now, it makes sense that one of us that isn't bearing any injuries be the negotiator in order to ensure the image that we haven't had any issue with other creatures in this place, already. Makes us appear more formidable. That could be Cecil, Wrench and/or myself. As I'm the only one that can speak the language, I have to be present. Anyway, the presumption here is that I expect the orc will agree to the bargain. Primarily, he will because he has nothing to lose. If we fail, he gains because he will assume the enemy will have been weakened. If we succeed, his job is done for him for little more than doing nothing. It is a win/win proposition for him. Now, we can probably ensure he will abide by the bargain, as I already said, by sauntering up and dumping the head in front of him. If it appears we've done the job so quickly, quietly and without injury, he can only think attacking us would be too risky. Assuming it's at least a passably smart orc--the logic of the situation shouldn't escape it. He might wonder why we're even bothering to ask him to leave us be if we're powerful enough to dispatch the creature and his minions so easily, but I wager he'll be worried enough about the answer to even ask it. If he does, we can just smile knowingly and let him stew."

Again, he pauses to consider.

"The only sticky point would be if this orc is here to loot the airship. That could cause him to risk attempting to remove us in order to keep us away from his goal. It's too bad we weren't able to get the creature to provide more details of this conflict they were having. Even so, it doesn't appear these two groups were actually preventing each other from getting to the airship. The thing said the orc had him pinned down here. If so, the orc could easily just make his way to the airship and leave a token guard behind to provide the illusion they haven't left. But, we'll just have to take a chance on that count. That is, of course, assuming we attempt the negotiation route. Else, we're going to have to use everything we have to heal up and hope Threshkor's loss isn't enough to drag us below the point where we can fend them off."

He mentioned nothing about the disposition of Threshkor's corpse. It was both out of his area of usual concern, and he had no particular ideas that seemed more appropriate than those already put forth.

28. - Top - End - #688

Wrench

"Advance knowledge would be beneficial, no matter the course we take. Azmirith has done scouting for us as well. Perhaps since his wounds are healed, he could take the low route, while you take the high route? Thats if he's willing, of course.

That would give the rest of us time to finish preparations."

{OOC: I may have to kick the DM, if he doesn't tell me what kind of loot is on the bodies, including the dolgaunt's and Threshkor's.}
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-24 at 10:42 AM.
    The Tangled Web

29. - Top - End - #689

Caskin

Caskin looks to Azmirith, then says, "If he cares to do so, it's certainly fine by me. Oh, I almost forgot. I can handle the water issue, too, especially if it's going to cost Wrench an infusion." He slips one of his wands from his belt and twirls it between his fingers before putting it back. "Never leave home without one."

30. - Top - End - #690

Wrench

Momentarily distracted from his search, Wrench asks Caskin, "Do you mind me asking, how many wands do you carry? What sorts are they?"
    The Tangled Web