New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron Adventures

Butch

Butch grumbled angrily, "Look, momma always told me, if the fox wants the eggs you don't offer him the rooster. That means we can't make plans to negotiate with this orc until we know what he wants. We need some idea of what this area looks like. Get us the map and we'll figure out where to send Azzy for scouting. "

2. - Top - End - #692
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azmirith

Azmirith had remained where he was, lying in a pool of blood, both his own and that of the beast. The thing had knocked him unconscious, and he was just getting back to his full capacity. Hearing the last remark of Butch, he quickly sits up, saying "Butch, I think that I may not be in the best of conditions for scouting. I am still slightly wounded, even after the healing Wrench bestowed on me. The thing also reopened the wounds of those weasels the other night, and I feel weaker than before. I think I would prefer if we rested for a while, just so I could regain some strength."

he then stands up, and continues"perhaps I am not the most diplomatic person, but Butch is right. We can't go offering any orcs a bargain if we don't know what their goals are. Shame we couldn't get more out of that thing before the fight. Caskin, I think you and wrench should go, together you form a formidable force."
    Sweet Cap. America Avi by KPenguin

3. - Top - End - #693

Wrench

"Me? I'm not very quiet.

Plus, I should stay and check the items we've recovered."

Wrench resumes his search of the fallen bodies.

{OOC: Hello? Loot? DM? Loot???}
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-25 at 10:18 AM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

4. - Top - End - #694

Wrench

Wrench takes a wand, two potions, a scroll, and Threshkor's weapon and shield. He leaves the holy symbol on the Cleric, thinking it best that it stay with him.

He also takes the slippers, potion vial, and the amulet from around the dolgaunt's neck, and sits with them for a minute, to examine them for any magical signatures.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-25 at 12:50 PM.
    The Tangled Web

5. - Top - End - #695

Checks to Identify items as magic:

Artificer Knowledge - (1d20+4)[12]
    Artificer Knowledge - (1d20+4)[23]

DC 15 for both checks.
    The Tangled Web

6. - Top - End - #696

Forgot a check.

Artificer Knowledge - (1d20+4)[11] DC 15
    The Tangled Web

7. - Top - End - #697

Butch

Butch studied the pile of gear coming off the creatures and then thought back through the gear the group brought along. "I can't help but thinking we can do something with this stuff. Hmmm... I wonder... do you think the orc might fall for the double bluff? We start by sealing the south end of that secret passage the demon spoke of. Then we prepare a landslide trap a bit inside the north exit from these ravines. Mr. Caskin could open up with a fine 'how do you do.' and then dart back into the chasms. When the orc chases him, we set off the landslide behind him to delay his progress returning. Then we rappel down and make for the airship. There, we hide while Mr. Cecil makes those lights of his near the exit from the secret tunnel. When the orc clears the landslide, Mr. Cecil sends his lights into the tunnel like we're all escaping. Then the orc chases into the secret tunnel and we seal that exit. It will take him days to escape, which will give us time to rest and then depart in the morning."

8. - Top - End - #698
    Barbarian in the Playground

Caskin

Blinking several times as he considers the alternative plans, he eventually shrugs and says, "I tend to think a less elaborate plan is more likely to succeed. Either way, I'll go make that map of the fissures and have a peek into some of the nearer branches."

Still clinging to the wall, Caskin reaches around to swing his pack a bit forward, rummages briefly and withdraws a sheet of clean paper, a small vial of black ink and a pen. As he did, he replied to Wrench on the topic of the wands he carried.

"Simple spells, and most are close to empty. Prestidigitation, I showed you earlier, cure light wounds, endure elements, and create water. Except for the first, the rest have ten charges left. Hmm. Odd how that worked out. Anyway, just basic solitary traveler fare."

Rearranging himself, he climbs his way to the brushline, salutes and announces, "This shouldn't take long." Then he disappeared behind the veil of twisted twigs and spiky leaves, leaving behind only a few clods of dirt that exploded as they hit the stone floor.

9. - Top - End - #699

Wrench

Wrench takes the slippers and amulet over to Cecil. "Commander, I can detect magical energies in these. I was not able to detect anything in the potion. I suspect it must have some sort of significance though. Perhaps holy water, or else a magical signature I was unable to detect. I'll try to identify the details of the items after we rest, unless you have a way to discern more information now?"
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-29 at 10:13 PM.
    The Tangled Web

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

"I don't, Wrench, but thanks for trying." He looks vaguely haunted. "And please, don't call me commander. Cecil is fine."
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

11. - Top - End - #701

Wrench

"Yes, Commander."

Wrench heads over towards Butch. "Do you need help with anything?"
    The Tangled Web

12. - Top - End - #702

Butch

Butch sighs in response to Wrench, "I dunno... It's just been bugging me what Brother Threshkor said about needing to kill. I mean, right now, I don't see much choice. We've overextended ourselves and now we need to clear out all the dangers or risk being killed in our sleep. I can't help but think we could have done something to avoid all this."

When Caskin returns with the map, Butch takes a quick glance and gasps. "Shavarath," he mumbles under his breath. "He's close, may have heard the fight."

"OK, we need to secure these two openings first. We don't want to engage yet, but we'll need these passages secured for the assault. With those two passages secure, Mr. Cecil can keep station in the north passage. Wrench can take the southern passage. I'll climb up and over this east wall to take up a high sniper position along the south wall. Mr. Caskin, we'll need you to assist Azzy into position. Follow this western ridge north to the end and prepare a rope to rappel down to the airship. When Azzy is ready, Mr. Caskin returns to a position on the center spire overlooking the ledge. We'll need to work out a signal, but when everyone is ready, Azzy descends and sneaks over to the airship. We'll prepare a note explaining to any survivors what is going on. Ideally, we slip the survivors and our package up and out of the canyon without alerting the orc. If Azzy gets spotted, the rest of us need to strike. Mr. Cecil and Wrench should maintain their cover in the tunnels to prevent getting flanked. I'll drive creatures towards you with arrows. Mr. Caskin will lend fire as well."

Butch looks around to make sure everyone understands. "OK, next up is signals. Before I come up with some obscure difficult to accomplish signaling system, do any of you have some sort of magicking that accomplishes that?"

13. - Top - End - #703

Wrench

"What sort of signals are you looking for?"
    The Tangled Web

14. - Top - End - #704

Butch

"Well, I figured we could cover and reveal sunrods in some flashing pattern. But I'm worried the orc could see that. We'll need a signal that everyone is ready and in position. We'll need an abort and withdraw signal. We'll need an attack signal, although that will be pretty obvious. Azzy will need a set of signals to indicate his success level. Like, when he makes contact, when he's about to depart and when he needs to return for further instructions."

15. - Top - End - #705

Wrench

"I don't have anything to fill that need at the moment, but I will work on creating something more effective after we finish this task.

I think we should stay together for the moment instead of splitting our forces. If the Orc does turn out to be hostile, and he catches one or two of us on our own, and he has several wild creatures under his command, he might be able to eliminate us before the rest of the party can come to assist.

He has superior numbers. Our best plan would be to keep together, and be able to use our full force to ensure a successful retreat, if the diplomatic efforts fail."
    The Tangled Web

16. - Top - End - #706

Butch

"I see your point, Wrench, but that is why I'm insisting on the ground force staying in the tunnel. That will restrict his advantage to one on one. Just adopt a defensive stance and let the ranged assault wear down the enemy. That should force a retreat and we can just hold him back while Azzy finishes up with the airship..."

Pondering the layout, "... I am worried about the positioning. This all assumes the orc is on this ledge and not at the airship itself. But that is what the abort signal is for."

17. - Top - End - #707

Wrench

"That makes sense. A good suggestion about the defensive stance. I can form a reasonably secure defense as a front line, and the rest of you can shoot over my shoulder.

However, I would prefer to keep Azzy with us. If he separates from us and our defenses break down, we will have to retreat and leave him behind. I don't like the idea of that. Also, his skill will be invaluable in combat if we must engage in it. And if we don't need to, then all of us can reach the airship together. I would not lightly give up my chance to see one up close."
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-30 at 11:12 AM.
    The Tangled Web

18. - Top - End - #708
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azmirith

Azmirith considers, and says "Wrench, I am glad for your concern, but I think that as long as we have signals to communicate our positions, I could reasonably certainly make it back on by own. I am probably the best at sneaking by them, so it would make sense to do allow me to do so. I am not, however, the most personable among us. Indeed, I would probably be more of a hindrance in negotiations with the orcs, if such negotiations occurred. It is late, and Orcs have an advantage at night. I suggest staying here, and building some defense at the switchback in the tunnels. It is our best choke point. Indeed, wrench could just stand there all night, and we would have an instant alarm if something happened. We all could rest now, or at least I could, and then tomorrow, before first light, I creep out, and try to make it to the airship. You then confront the orcs in daylight, and try to gain passage to the airship. if you make it, we are golden, if not, I can try to lead the survivors back, and ultimately surprise the orcs by coming at them from behind."

19. - Top - End - #709

Butch

"Well, that pretty much negates the whole 'bypass the orc' tactic. That means confrontation... OK... Wrench, take up Threshkor's shield and go defensive. Azzy will take the climbing harness and be high guard on the north passage. Bring up those extra crossbows and have them loaded and ready during the fight. Caskin is high guard above Wrench in the south passage. I'll take the second harness and take up a spot on the south wall. We should get a good crossfire situation. When everyone is ready, we signal and then I'll fire a sunrod onto the ledge to announce our presence. Caskin will then call for the orc's surrender. That should flush him out and we open fire. We don't want any confusion so make sure you announce that we are Brelish Military. Offer him safe passage out and tell him not to give us cause to kill him. We must negotiate from strength and he'll very likely attack anyway. The first couple volleys may convince him otherwise so it will be Caskin's responsibility to decide if its worth a second parley. A good sign would be if he retreats. I've heard orcs can go into a blood rage, and all we can do is put him down at that point."

20. - Top - End - #710

Wrench

"Azmirith, I have the utmost confidence in your ability to avoid detection, but that isn't the skill we need right now.

Butch, I'll take the lead, and announce our presence. No sunrods flung about, no shouting out surrender demands.

We are going to talk to him first, and only resort to force if he's unreasonable. If you don't think you can assist in being diplomatic, then its best to just keep a hand on your weapon, and stay quiet. Do not draw or fire, unless I say."

With that, Wrench will take up his gear, and head out towards the north passage.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-30 at 12:45 PM.
    The Tangled Web

21. - Top - End - #711

Butch

Butch reaches out quickly to stop Wrench. "Whoa there. Full plan first and everyone knows their roles. Nobody goes off half cocked."

22. - Top - End - #712

Wrench

"We have a plan. We go talk to the orc. If, and only if, that fails, then we use force to reach the airship. At that point, we get what we came for, and then we go home."

Wrench likes his plans simple, and he continues to head north.

Once he reaches the end of the path, he'll raise his voice and call out "Hello? Is there anyone here? We come in peace!"
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2007-10-30 at 01:13 PM.
    The Tangled Web

23. - Top - End - #713
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azmirith

Azmirith looks at the others, shocked. "Oh s**t! people, get you stuff, back him up. looks like another uncoordinated fight on our hands!!"With that, he picks up his morningstar, straps it to his waist, and pulls out and loads a crossbow. He then gets himself situated behind the wall that Wrench just stepped around, his back plastered against it and his crossbow at the ready. He signals at the others to MOVE.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Barbarian in the Playground

Caskin

Caskin looks very dubious, and shakes his head from side to side as Wrench stalks off into the corridor.

"We had the opportunity to scout further...I don't know why our resources are being squandered," he remarks disappointedly.

With that, Caskin climbs the wall again, this time to the brush line some forty feet above and follows the contour of the passage north, remaining some distance behind Wrench, judging his pace when he turns out of sight.

The waterfall can be heard more and more clearly as he moves, making it increasingly difficult to hear much beyond its rumble.

25. - Top - End - #715

Butch

"HOLD IT MEN! We secure this room and make our stand HERE!" Butch seems furious. "Wrench is 'forged... That's what they were built for. Now get back here and guard that entrance. If Wrench is right and they are friendly, then he'll find out. If they aren't we'll know right away."

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

Cecil

Cecil follows Wrench. "No offense to your plan, Butch," he says, taking the khyberthing's head if he can, "But the new plan's already in motion."

Cecil will keep the dolgaunt's severed head plainly in view, if he can - and will avoid touching it with his hands as much as possible.
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

27. - Top - End - #717
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azmirith

Azmirith says back to Butch, just loud enough for him to hear, "I am guarding the entrance. And, you said yourself that we should have areal cover fire. Caskin should be up there if it comes to blows."

28. - Top - End - #718

Butch

"Sonovacrap!"

Butch grabs one of the crossbows, loads his sunrod into it and fires it over east wall and onto the ledge beyond.

29. - Top - End - #719

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    Butch

"Sonovacrap!"

Butch grabs one of the crossbows, loads his sunrod into it and fires it over east wall and onto the ledge beyond.
    {OOC: Can he do that?}
    The Tangled Web

30. - Top - End - #720
    Dwarf in the Playground

Azmirith
    Azmirith will slip around the corner, to where wrench and cecil went, but go to the northern exit to keep any orcs from coming around and flanking wrench. He will try to remain inconspicuous, sticking to the shadows on the west side.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move silently - (1d20+7)[21]
    Hide - (1d20+7)[9]

OOC: will post in the OOC thread for a better description of position.