New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Desparate Treasures (Walrus' Run) IC

You are in a dark room. In front of you there is a Staircase with a Lever on the side. You can see the discarded Book next to you, where you dropped it. There is a battered Door near the bottom of the staircase.

/ / / D / /
    / - - - - /
    / - - S - /
    / - B Y - /
    / - - - - /
    / / / / / /

Head: None.
    R Hand: Battered Sword 2d6 Dur 5
    L Hand: Unarmed 1d3 Dur X
    Body: Old Armour 2 Dur 10

Inventory:

Rod of Identify Dur 3
    (Identify: Safe spell, reveals all properties of one item.)

St 3
    Ac 3
    Ev 3
    Sk 3
    Sp 3
    HP 50/50
    In 0/100
    De 0/100
    Vo 0/100
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-12-24 at 06:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Desparate Treasures (Walrus' Run) IC

Alright, here we go! First, I'll pick up the book, and move back to my original location, leaning against the staircase so that anything coming through the door won't be able to see me immediately. Then I'll start reading the book, assuming it doesn't appear to be bound in human skin or display anything else suggesting it's obviously evil.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    What material is my armor made out of? Is it rust monster proof? Also, how large is a rod of identify? Is it something I can stick in my pocket, or do I have it strapped to my body somewhere, or have to carry it in my left hand?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
    Alright, here we go! First, I'll pick up the book, and move back to my original location, leaning against the staircase so that anything coming through the door won't be able to see me immediately. Then I'll start reading the book, assuming it doesn't appear to be bound in human skin or display anything else suggesting it's obviously evil.

Show
    What material is my armor made out of? Is it rust monster proof? Also, how large is a rod of identify? Is it something I can stick in my pocket, or do I have it strapped to my body somewhere, or have to carry it in my left hand?
    > Get Book
    You take one step to the left.

You pick up the book. It's quite heavy, but this time you don't fall through the floor. It looks like it will fit in your backpack.

"Chosen One prayer book" added to inventory.
    > Right
    You take one step to the right.
    > Examine Chosen One prayer book
    You examine the book. It is miraculously undamaged, save for being worse for wear. You can't understand the title; it seems to be written in some kind of rune-based script.

If you were desperate, you could probably hit someone with it. (2-hand weapon, 3d3 damage, Dur 3)
    > Read Chosen One prayer book
    You crack open the book, but you quickly realise it's incomprehensible. You try to scan for anything recognisable: all you can see is that there are multiple instances of the name "Erika", which fortunately looks almost the same in runes as in normal script. Is Erika the Chosen One? Is she a prophetess? You don't know, and the book doesn't seem likely to help you find out... but then you have a thought. You flip to the back of the book, and quickly notice more references to Erika, but when you examine the pages near the middle, you can't find her name.
    > Examine Old Armour
    Your armour consists of a standard gambeson and breastplate, which is enough to turn aside a few blows but you worry about its durability.
    > Examine Rod of Identify
    Turning aside for a moment all thoughts of the irony of examining an item of Identify, you look at the rod. It's a standard rod design: 5 inches long and about an inch thick, encased in solid thaumium. You could equip it in one of your hands to save a space in your bag, but you don't think it would make a great weapon. You could disassemble it to get a clue at the components, but if you did, that would probably ruin it, although you don't think that it would actually be dangerous.

/ / / D / /
    / - - - - /
    / - - S - /
    / - - Y - /
    / - - - - /
    / / / / / /

R Hand: Battered Sword 2d6 Dur 5

Inventory:

Rod of Identify Dur 3
    Chosen One prayer book 3d3 Dur 3

St 3
    Ac 3
    Ev 3
    Sk 3
    Sp 3
    HP 50/50
    In 0/100
    De 0/100
    Vo 0/100
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-12-25 at 08:48 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I'll memorize the exact runes used to write the name 'Erika', so that I can quickly scrawl the name in the dust, if need be. Then I'll move to the door, going around the staircase on the same side the book was on. I'll listen at the door, and if I hear nothing, I'll open it just wide enough to see into the next room.

Spoiler: Out of character
    Show
    Background unlocked: Literate! A few more questions about the rod: Can I use it with just an act of will, or is there a command word I need to speak? Also, do I have to touch it to the object to identify, or can it be used at range?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
    A few more questions about the rod: Can I use it with just an act of will, or is there a command word I need to speak? Also, do I have to touch it to the object to identify, or can it be used at range?
    You don't need to speak but the spell's range is zero, so you need to share a square with the object to use it.

> Examine Door
    You take a step forwards and to the left, and a step forwards and to the right.

You try testing the door without opening it. It looks like a perfectly ordinary door that sees a lot of use. Or did, until it was blown up; the door is badly damaged and charred. If there was anything special about this door, it's long gone now.

> Open Door

You open the door...

/ / / D / /
    / - - - - /
    / - - - - /
    D - - - - D
    / - - - - /
    / - - - - /
    / - P P - /
    / - - - - /
    - - - - - D
    / - - - - /
    / - - - - /
    / / / O / /
    / - - Y - /
    / - - S - /
    / - - - - /
    / - - - - /
    / / / / / /

You are standing in front of the Open Door when you notice two Priests having a heated debate in a language completely incomprehensible to you. You notice several more Doors around the Torch-lit room; one has been blown right off its hinges which seems to be the crux of the argument from the frenzied gesturing of one of the priests. Their hoods can't be giving them the best peripheral vision: they haven't noticed you yet!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I briefly contemplate trying to talk to the priests before realizing they'd probably get mad at me for putting a big hole in their upper floor, ruining their staircase mechanism, and putting my grimy fingerprints all over their holy book. And then they'd likely find a way to pin this whole exploded door thing on me, too.

Instead, I'll quietly put away my sword, and creep along the wall to the freshly un-doored doorway, grabbing a torch along the way if there is one, and go down that corridor. If there was anything really dangerous down that way, the priests would be running away screaming instead of just standing there, so this action is probably completely safe.

Show
    Should I separate out my actions and thoughts in these posts somehow, or is the style exhibited here fine?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It would be nice if you could post the actions in a more laid-out way, but the way you're doing it is fine.

> Unequip Battered Sword
    You put the battered sword away in your pack.

> Forwards, Fore-Left, Fore-Left

You take one step forwards and one step forwards and to the left. You realise that the priests have noticed you. You can move one more step and take an action this turn.

/ / / D / /
    / - - - - /
    / - - - - /
    D - - - - D
    / - - - - /
    / - - - - /
    / - P P - /
    / - - - - /
    - - - - - D
    / - - - - /
    / - Y - - /
    / / / O / /
    / - - - - /
    / - - S - /
    / - - - - /
    / - - - - /
    / / / / / /

> Examine Torches

You look at the torches. They are dotted around the room, providing enough light to see by. They look to be made of thaumium, implying that they are magical. They're attached too tightly to the wall to take one.

R Hand: Unarmed 1d3 Dur X

Inventory:

Rod of Identify Dur 3
    Chosen One prayer book 3d3 Dur 3
    Battered Sword 2d6 Dur 5

St 3
    Ac 3
    Ev 3
    Sk 3
    Sp 3
    HP 50/50
    In 0/100
    De 0/100
    Vo 0/100

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

-I'll take one more step to the left, sort of stumbling and leaning against the wall.
    -Then I'll suddenly turn and face the priests, as if I'm just noticing them, and begin to speak.

"What? Oh, I hadn't noticed you... I'm afraid I took a long fall, and am still quite stunned. Let me explain: For many years, I've felt a strange force calling me to this holy ground, but it was only today I grew bold enough to venture here. When I entered the church, the floorboards collapsed beneath me, and I fell into this basement. I barely managed to get up and stagger into here. But it seems as if you have problems of your own."

I gesture at the demolished door.

"Perhaps it was destiny that brought me here this day! Maybe there is some task I can perform to prove my worthiness to tread these hallowed halls?"

I remember that there was supposed to be some sort of "Call of the Chosen One" that true members of this faith heard. Perhaps I could bluff the priests into believing I had heard this call. Assuming, of course, that they could speak my language...