New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Grief In the Shell: Madokapunk IC Thread

[Ward 6]
    (Yumeiji Tower - Koizumi Apartment)

Rio looks to the side quietly, thinking. "...I don't know yet. But... I still need to pick one of them? I don't think Himura-san would like me focusing too much on that stuff. Her training is... demanding. I just... I want to make the right decision. If there is one..." She lets out a tired sigh, at which Kin approaches and plops his head in her lap. She gives her canine companion a small smile, scratching behind an ear.

It'll be all right, master.

I know, Kin. Thanks. Good boy. Kin's tail wags and he lets out a joyful bark before setting his head back down.

"...Kin really believes in me. I..." She stops as she can't help but think back to holding him in her arms while he...

...the tears are pretty sudden, as far as Chiyo is concerned, and Rio sinks down to the floor, hugging Kin close. Kin gives a slight whimper and butts his head into her shoulder. Akio looks to Rio with some concern, then Chiyo, his eyes asking whether or not they even wanted to ask where this came from. Rio never really volunteered what happened, and with how chaotic everything's been...

[Ward 15]
    (Sango Gardens)

"Don't be a dork, Vic. We're going down to the gym. Remember the last time you tried practicing with me without protective gear?" Mia snorts derisively, going to grab her gym bag and a jacket, calling up a cleaning service for the kitch-...everything, really. She did a number on her apartment. But hey, that was just tuesday for her.

She waves along to follow out of the apartment. Mia wouldn't set up shop in somewhere -without- a gym, Sango Gardens having an impressive facility on the fifth floor.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

[Yumeiji Towers]

Did it matter? Their daughter needed comfort and reassurance right now.

Chiyo simply moves to kneel and embrace her daughter. If she needs to cry, Chiyo will offer her shoulder. If she needs advice, Chiyo will offer her words. And her love is always a given.

That is what it means to be a mother.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ward 3, Zeal Technologies HQ]

Satou continues to nurse his headache. His response is only outwardly observable as bit of minor motion of his throat, and words appearing on Modron's text message service.
    Spoiler: Subvocal to Duncan
    Show

"Not really an interrogation, so we should mostly just act natural. Your sunshine cannon blitz should be fine; good cop bad cop would be a step too far. Just here to get the good doctor's opinion, and the Chief doesn't think she's involved. He's most likely right, but a bit of awareness never hurt anyone.

She's....pretty disarming. Never seen her as anything but a harmless, slightly obsessive scientist. I can never trust someone like that."

[Ward 15]

(Sango Gardens)

Victor pauses for a moment.

"No, I don't really. I think this is why you take care?"

He smiles amiably, and follows after Mia.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ward 3, ZT HQ]
    When they exit, floor lights will guide them to their goal: Dr. Masaki's lab. The door opens automatically for them, revealing the good doctor (for a given value of 'good') tinkering with a later-model gyrojet rifle, arglasses donned and with the little blue 'on' light glowing. She adjusts the spectacles and smiles, hiding her slight disappointment at the lack of any mashous to make risque comments at Vo no that's bad.
    "Mor-m-morning, gent-ts-s. Or af'noon, w'ever, t-time's f-fa-fak---f---a lie. B'lieve y'got somethi-th-thin' f'me to take a look at?"
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Spoiler: My Stories And Things
    Show

5. - Top - End - #425
    Orc in the Playground

[Ward 6]

Rio gets her cry out, just hugging Kin all the while. She didn't know if she could even explain why to her parents, the wound still felt fresh even though things turned out okay. But...

She wipes her eyes, pulls back and just breathes after a few minutes. Giving Kin another scratch behind the ear, she just... puts it out of her head for now. Akio kneels down next to the family huddle, giving Rio a light tousle of her hair. "...we're here for you, Rio. You won't be alone."

Kin barks in agreement, and Rio gives a light tired giggle. "...thanks. Mom, dad. Kin-chan." With a rub of her forehead, she thinks back to the business at hand, and just... sighs. "...can I sleep on it? I just want to eat and... talk about other stuff for now."

Akio nods. "Well, dinner will be ready in a few minutes." He looks to Chiyo, for her input on this! Other topics, maybe!

[Ward 13]
    (Warutsu Towers - Tower 1, Floor 44)

Nadica shrugs. "Not gonna get much out of it. I went to the basement, re-rigged the power. There was some C4 on the door, probably meant to trigger when it unlocked or opened." Still, she turns on the holo-TV in the room, and goes over the feed on her path from yesterday.

Nadica flies to the burning tower. Makes a beeline for the basement, darkness pierced by a light from her eyes. She makes several turns in the maintenance tunnels, stops at the door to the power grid, starts to enter the password, then stops. She bursts through several walls around the door instead of going through it directly, the camera catching the block of C4 behind it.

Nadica attempts several times to reboot the power from the terminal, before plunging directly into the wirebox. The power returns and then... boom. The C4 on the door explodes. But... the amount of destruction is definitely more than a single block could create, even as she's thrown through several rooms, crashing into a locker with a sound of shrieking, shattering metal.

And that's all before the signs of the bombing being reversed play through. The walls repair, the power flickers back on, Nadica's equipment repairs itself and her wounds are healed.

The Metalmaker seems fairly pessimistic that Big Boss will be able to get anything out of this, but she waits to see what he has to say.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

6. - Top - End - #426
    Orc in the Playground

[Yumeiji Towers]

Chiyo ponders for a moment. "You know, I just remembered I don't have to be early for work tomorrow. What do you guys say we put on a nice movie and relax as a family?"

[Warutsu Towers]

No, something definitely catches his eye there.

"Something's off. C4 doesn't behave like that." He rewinds and replays the tape over and over as he thinks on it. Occasionally he pauses and inspects the big block.

"For starters, if someone wants to booby-trap the door, C4 isn't the best choice. You'd want something that explodes outwards, to make sure whoever's opening the door gets blasted. More often than not, that's done by trapping the edges of the door so it acts as a projectile. Helps focus the blast towards the opening, too. Even if you want a wider angle it's easier to just plant a directional mine pointed towards the exit.

And if they wanted to make sure the power would STAY out, they could've done that by blowing the terminal up in the first place. The backup generators activated when the power went out, right? That could've been prevented.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that LOOKS like C4 but with that kind of explosive power and direction. Could the blast have been amplified somehow, perhaps by magic abilities? If so, that means someone had their eye on that room. We could ask Gomes to perform a sweep for bugs. I bet since everything repaired itself, he didn't consider checking for them.

Why did you try to wire things directly? What was keeping you from doing it through the terminal?"
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2016-04-06 at 09:43 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

[Ward 6]

Rio gives a fragile smile and nod at the suggestion, shifting to sit back up on the couch. "Okay. That sounds cool."

Akio's smile is less fragile, and more like a grin, really. "Absolutely! And I think it's fair to let our brave girl choose!" Rio gives an embarrassed grimace at her dad's teasing rib at her age. She's 14! An actual teenager! But...

"...um, there's Tomoe... I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet." Well, that might be because it's a three-hour long recently released biopic. The movie has been getting fairly good reviews, covering the life after Tomoe Mami's contract, up to the fall of Mitakihara, and marks the 50th anniversary of the latter.

Might not be either of her parent's first choice, but...
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    [Ward 6]

Rio gives a fragile smile and nod at the suggestion, shifting to sit back up on the couch. "Okay. That sounds cool."

Akio's smile is less fragile, and more like a grin, really. "Absolutely! And I think it's fair to let our brave girl choose!" Rio gives an embarrassed grimace at her dad's teasing rib at her age. She's 14! An actual teenager! But...

"...um, there's Tomoe... I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet." Well, that might be because it's a three-hour long recently released biopic. The movie has been getting fairly good reviews, covering the life after Tomoe Mami's contract, up to the fall of Mitakihara, and marks the 50th anniversary of the latter.

Might not be either of her parent's first choice, but...
    Doesn't matter. It won't kill them to spoil Rio a little.

Who knows, they might not get many chances to do so in the future.

"Well then. Dinner first, then the movie. Everyone on board say 'aye'!"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Neo-Mitakihara, Japan]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose View Post

Satou continues to nurse his headache. His response is only outwardly observable as bit of minor motion of his throat, and words appearing on Modron's text message service.
    Spoiler: Subvocal to Duncan
    Show

"Not really an interrogation, so we should mostly just act natural. Your sunshine cannon blitz should be fine; good cop bad cop would be a step too far. Just here to get the good doctor's opinion, and the Chief doesn't think she's involved. He's most likely right, but a bit of awareness never hurt anyone.

She's....pretty disarming. Never seen her as anything but a harmless, slightly obsessive scientist. I can never trust someone like that."
    Duncan just nods after casually checking his phone for text messages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    [Ward 3, ZT HQ]
    When they exit, floor lights will guide them to their goal: Dr. Masaki's lab. The door opens automatically for them, revealing the good doctor (for a given value of 'good') tinkering with a later-model gyrojet rifle, arglasses donned and with the little blue 'on' light glowing. She adjusts the spectacles and smiles, hiding her slight disappointment at the lack of any mashous to make risque comments at Vo no that's bad.
    "Mor-m-morning, gent-ts-s. Or af'noon, w'ever, t-time's f-fa-fak---f---a lie. B'lieve y'got somethi-th-thin' f'me to take a look at?"
    The door opens, and out comes a giant pale redheaded man in a police shirt and a kilt. He's smiling like the cat that caught the canary

"Doctor Masaki! Thank you so much for meeting with us. And the sun is currently up in the sky, cursed be the daystar that burns us."

The man's pale enough he may only be mostly joking.

"Detective Satou and myself, I'm Detective Turnbull by the way, we've got something we'd like you to poke and prod with your keen eyes, sharp mind, and, uh, pokey, techy tools. Yeah. That!"

He stumbles a bit but smiles anyways, all friendship and BRIGHT CHEERINESS. He waves Satou, and his package, forward.

"We know you're busy so we don't want to take too much time, but we'll try to answer what questions we can. Here ya go, lass, maybe you can make heads and tails of it."
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

[Ward 6]

Akio raises a hand from the kitchen. "Aye!"

Rio's smile solidifies a little as the movie she wants to watch is agreed upon. "Mm. Um. Aye." Kin barks, as well! Seems he wants to join in.

It seems all are in agreement. And so, after Akio pulls dinner out of the oven, the family dines on gourmet pizza, Akio trying to fill the time with light talk, while Rio quietly eats. Not surprising, given she was normally quiet, and today was rather tiring. Then... Akio sitting down between Chiyo and Rio, wrapping an arm around his wife's and daughter's shoulders, they bring the picture up through the net for streaming, their not-often-used holo-TV providing... perhaps not a cinema-grade experience, but not fairly far from it either.

Rio spends almost the entire time just... sitting forward slightly, attention entirely fixated upon every little detail of the movie. The cinematography, the story, the characters, their costumes... after all, it was her duty as a mashou fangirl to properly assess the accuracy of the film!

Akio is a bit less fixated, stepping off to grab snacks or the like, but, given the last few days, it is really just calming to see his daughter acting like... well, a growing girl, as opposed to having all these adult choices thrust on her. The days she'd be allowed that might be few and far between, after all...

Kin just sits on the floor next to Rio's feet, falling asleep at points. After all, he is an old man by dog standards.

[Ward 13]

"Terminal was disabled. Probably could've broken through, but that's not my specialty. Technomancy is a byproduct of my powers, not a focus. It'd take time, and I didn't think we had it. Either way it probably would've blown, but you're right, I don't think it was about keeping the power out. As for bugs, maybe? It's worth a look, anyway. But I'm guessing if the bombs were wiped by the little miracle-maker, equipment like that might be too." Nadica rolls through this rather flippantly.

"Well, assuming whoever's responsible didn't remove the stuff already. But in that case, they could be caught on the cameras. If they were counting on Omoikane focusing on me, then they might've been able to get away with it without being noticed, especially if they were under cover as building maint or something. Anything else?"
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

11. - Top - End - #431
    Orc in the Playground

[Yumeiji Towers]

For her own part, Chiyo shares in her husband's sentiment. When was the last time they'd all sat down to enjoy a movie like this? She can't remember. Oh well. Will have to just make new memories.

[Warutsu Towers]

"I think that about covers it, really. Gives me a couple of leads. There shouldn't be that many mashou out there with a combined training in explosives and powers that might enable an assault like this. If there's a freelancer on this, I might be able to track him or her down.

Thanks for the help, Nadica. I don't suppose you'd like to establish a way to keep in touch?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

[Ward 13]

"If you're the real deal, I'm sure I'll hear from you if you want to be heard." Nadica lets him go with that jab.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

13. - Top - End - #433
    Orc in the Playground

[Ward 13]

"If you're the real deal, I'm sure I'll hear from you if you want to be heard." Nadica lets him go with that jab.
    "What if you've got something new for me?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

[Ward 6]
    (Yumeiji Towers - Koizumi Apartment)

Rio stays fixated for the entire film, commenting idly and quietly to her parents whenever the movie's plot took some artistic license with the history. "That didn't happen."

"She didn't fight in that battle..."

If she wasn't their daughter, it could maybe get a little offputting, but for the most part she seems fairly pleased by the movie. To anyone like Chiyo who may have touched more upon the history of Wishcraft and Mashou, it is a fairly well-written and accurate portrayal. One of the strong points is the attention to detail in manners such as the costumes and powers, and there are a few actual mashou actors and actresses on the cast, giving their unique advantage of looking young while having some actual acting experience.

There's a good amount of political drama and action, as well as some breaks for personal development. All in all, it is still a good movie even for those not quite as enamored with mashou culture as Rio is. As the credits roll after the resolution of the fall of Mitakihara, Rio sits back slightly, pondering something deeply for a few moments.

"...I'm really part of this now." She really lets that sink in. Akio smiles sadly, giving a slight nod. "...I'll try my best. To live up to Tomoe-sama and others like her." She feels a hand on her shoulder, and looks back to Akio still smiling, encouragement in his eyes.

"...you've got it in you, Rio. I believe that. But... just stay safe first, okay?" Rio thinks on this, and gives a quiet, determined nod.

[Ward 13]

Nadica exhales smoke and throws an extra communicator to Big Boss. "Don't go digging in my ****, Honda's keeping an eye on you."

"And if you're worried about getting seen, and need somewhere to crash... you can stay here. Seems you don't mind the cats anyway. The place'll be under token NMSF surveillance but trust me when I say that isn't a hindrance to my privacy."
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

15. - Top - End - #435
    Orc in the Playground

[Ward 6]

Rio stays fixated for the entire film, commenting idly and quietly to her parents whenever the movie's plot took some artistic license with the history. "That didn't happen."

"She didn't fight in that battle..."

If she wasn't their daughter, it could maybe get a little offputting, but for the most part she seems fairly pleased by the movie. To anyone like Chiyo who may have touched more upon the history of Wishcraft and Mashou, it is a fairly well-written and accurate portrayal. One of the strong points is the attention to detail in manners such as the costumes and powers, and there are a few actual mashou actors and actresses on the cast, giving their unique advantage of looking young while having some actual acting experience.

There's a good amount of political drama and action, as well as some breaks for personal development. All in all, it is still a good movie even for those not quite as enamored with mashou culture as Rio is. As the credits roll after the resolution of the fall of Mitakihara, Rio sits back slightly, pondering something deeply for a few moments.

"...I'm really part of this now." She really lets that sink in. Akio smiles sadly, giving a slight nod. "...I'll try my best. To live up to Tomoe-sama and others like her." She feels a hand on her shoulder, and looks back to Akio still smiling, encouragement in his eyes.

"...you've got it in you, Rio. I believe that. But... just stay safe first, okay?" Rio thinks on this, and gives a quiet, determined nod.

[Ward 13]

Nadica exhales smoke and throws an extra communicator to Big Boss. "Don't go digging in my ****, Honda's keeping an eye on you."

"And if you're worried about getting seen, and need somewhere to crash... you can stay here. Seems you don't mind the cats anyway. The place'll be under token NMSF surveillance but trust me when I say that isn't a hindrance to my privacy."
    [Yumeiji Towers]

"In a way, you were always a part of this, Rio. You've just taken a step into a bigger world, now. All I want is for you to be happy and safe." Chiyo notes to her little girl.

[Warutsu Towers]

"Not a whole lot of faith in a stranger that broke into your apartment, huh? I can understand that. I'll keep my eyes to myself."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

[Ward 6]

Rio nods to her mother as well, thinking quietly for another moment... before hugging them both. The credit music continues to roll for a few moments, the only sound in the background as she squeezes her parents tightly. Akio pats her on the back, saying nothing.

But... she pulls back before they're through, offering a tired, but determined smile. "...I'm gonna... take a shower and go to bed soon. Um... thanks. For watching this with me? It was nice."

Akio grins and nods. "Of course! We'll have to do this more." Unfortunately, with Chiyo's schedule, and Rio likely to become remarkably more busy... that idea does fall a little flat in his head, but he can hope.

With that, Kin padding behind her, Rio wanders off to her room.

Stepping out of her bathroom, Rio looks out the window to the darkened city outside. It's been a long day inside, with no relief from the rain. But in that it was almost a little calming. Rio kind of liked the rain. Still... today was still tiring. Not overwhelmingly stressful, but tiring. She sits down at her desk before she flops into bed, turning on the holographic monitor and then, just... staring in indecision.

She couldn't avoid the Tokyo Shrine Club forever, that wouldn't be fair to them. But... the thought of getting a sudden flood of attention does make her anxious enough that after this tiring day, she was more than a little hesitant over it. Nonetheless, something does catch her eye on her desktop. While she's marked offline on one of her chat programs, she does notice someone online who she wouldn't mind talking with. And so... she opens a chat dialog, a stream of missed messages piling into her window in a conglomerate something approximating...

RIO! RIORIORIORIO! GODDESS RIO ARE YOU JOKING? YOU'RE NOT JOKING! RIO!
    A slightly embarrassed smile pops on Rio's face as she reads the messages, and she thinks of what to say. Wen Nari - half chinese/korean girl just a few months younger than Rio - joined the TSC about the same time as she did, and the two became fairly quick friends. She contributed quite a lot to the gossip and analysis parts of the community, getting the most out of her account with her boundless enthusiasm.

But... she supposed, it would just be best to get it over with and go with the simplest start.

Spoiler: Long Text Conversation
    Show
    <KRio> ...um. hi
    <WNari> Rio! You're here!
    <KRio> ...yeah
    <KRio> Sorry
    <WNari> Ohmygosh! Congrats times infinity!
    <KRio> it's been... really busy
    <WNari> *Offers high-five*?
    <WNari> Exciting busy at least?
    <KRio> *high five*
    <KRio> um, yeah, but also really nervous and tiring
    <WNari> Need to rant or anything?
    <WNari> Am here 100%! Anything to help!
    <KRio> Um, no, just, i havent even looked at TSC because i'd need to log in and... i'm a little nervous to do that
    <KRio> how are things there?
    <WNari> CRAZY
    <WNari> Most threadlocks in one day ever I think! Mods are not sure what to do. =S
    <WNari> Gossiping about other members is not a thing, but now you're a mashou? (OHMYGOSH)
    <KRio> ~_~
    <WNari> You should send them a thing, they're on your side.
    <WNari> Even Takeda, and you know he can get kinda sketchy sometimes.
    <KRio> ...really?
    <WNari> Uh-huh!
    <WNari> :RioPride:
    <It is an adorable little chibi icon of Rio in her mashou uniform! Waving a TSC flag!>
    <WNari> Look what Dhalii made in the art boards. =3
    <KRio> *~_~*
    <WNari> It's so cute!
    <WNari> SO CUTE!
    <KRio> ...maybe... i'll log on tomorrow
    <WNari> No pressure, it is kinda funny watching them all go crazy. XD
    <KRio> it's just kind of harder than i even thought
    <KRio> and
    Rio spends a few minutes with a half-typed in message, retyping it and deleting it a few times. Was it really just yesterday? It didn't feel like it.

<KRio> it was really scary
    <KRio> the tower attack
    <WNari> I bet. =[
    <WNari> My dad was on the subway during that big bombing last year, he still talks about it a lot...
    <WNari> People are jerks sometimes, I don't get it.
    <KRio> Kin almost died
    <WNari> OH NO
    <WNari> Not Kin! He is best dog!
    <WNari> Luna would be infinite sads if he got hurt bad.
    <WNari> Luna says meow also. That is cat for good job getting out alive.
    <KRio> thank you, Luna
    <KRio> i just
    <KRio> don't know what i would do without him
    <WNari> Use your powers to make him live forever!
    Kin, sitting in his bed, looks up to Rio with a curious half-whine. Rio offers a smile and telepathic reassurance to show she's fine before going back to the conversation.

<KRio> well um
    <KRio> i guess it's worth a try
    <KRio> i don't know a whole lot about my powers yet
    <WNari> WELL
    <WNari> You know some!
    <KRio> but i can hear Kin talking to me? with his thoughts
    <WNari> What about the standards?
    <KRio> well, um... i have a staff, so... probably... magic attacks? i haven't tried yet though
    <KRio> ...and
    <WNari has posted a link! Thread: "Wiki Upkeep Reminder, these are general mashou powers, include a proficency rating, not a full description.">
    <WNari> You should start there!
    <KRio> um, yeah
    <WNari> Also probably you will learn stuff when you train and stuff.
    <KRio> mm
    <KRio> But um
    <KRio> it's just hard not to think
    <KRio> that i look like a healer
    <WNari> Healers are cool!
    <WNari> Didn't you play a healer in SLC?
    <WNari> I forget the class...
    <KRio> yeah, just
    <KRio> i didn't get into endgame raids, i tried a few times and all the talking over voice chat gave me a headache
    <KRio> i feel like i did worse with it on but they didn't like when i had it off
    <WNari> Yeah, don't like vchat much either. =S
    <WNari> ...BUT
    <WNari> What has the day been? Have you been to wishcraft and stuff?
    <KRio> no, i was meeting with some maybe managers
    <KRio> i just need to make a decision
    <WNari> ????????????
    <WNari> Wanna share/talk out loud?
    <WNari> What're you thinking?
    <KRio> well
    <KRio> one of them is Ikeda Haru
    <KRio> i really liked her
    <KRio> but then there's Ironheart Rinko
    <WNari> Ohhhhh
    <WNari> Those are good ones!
    <KRio> she's really
    <WNari> I did a little work on the managers and staff section of the wiki.
    <KRio> intense
    <KRio> but i think she just cares a lot about being safe
    <WNari> Pfffft...
    <WNari> Sorry:
    <WNari has posted an image link!>
    <...it's a photo of Rinko in uniform staring INTENSELY at the camera. The top and bottom captions read: "I knew someone who ate a biscut once." "THEY DIED">
    <WNari> Apparently this was a meme a while ago?
    Rio lets out a reflexive, knee-jerk giggle. A bit inappropriate given she met Rinko, but her tiredness has sapped a bit of her filter on these reactions. At least she's alone.

<WNari> She gave some interview where she was just SUPER dour.
    <WNari> It sounds like she is actually p cool though?
    <KRio> um, i can understand her i think
    <KRio> and she said that she is okay with people switching from her to another manager
    <KRio> but
    <KRio> ...mom also says that right now is really important for my image, if i decide i want to focus on that at all?
    <WNari> Yeah, definitely
    <WNari> I guess I am sort of doing the
    <WNari> "Otaku pretends she is an expert" thing? Haha but
    <WNari> First three months are SUPER HUGE in image cementing.
    <KRio> yeah
    <WNari> Like, you can come back after that buuuut, it is a lot harder/takes longer
    <KRio> mm
    <KRio> um, not really related
    <KRio> but i met Metalmaker Novak
    <KRio> well i guess it's a little related...
    <KRio> she's just as nasty as she seems
    <KRio> she was picking a lock in a police station
    <KRio> i don't understand
    <WNari> =S
    <WNari> People can be dumb.
    <WNari> She's the superpowered version of like...
    <WNari> That old angry relative everyone has.
    <WNari> Like my great-uncle, he is just always annoyed and thinks he can get away with anything.
    <KRio> she talked to me without cursing outside the press conference, i think she was still trying to mix me up though, so i didn't pay attention
    <KRio> i guess she seems more sad in person but that doesn't mean she gets to be nasty
    <WNari> Ya
    <WNari> ...OH
    <WNari> Did you meet Gomes? Is he as scary as he looks on TV? 0_0
    <KRio> um yeah
    <KRio> ...and yeah
    <KRio> but
    <KRio> he was kind of nice still?
    <KRio> very, um
    <KRio> business focused
    <KRio> but not mean about it, not to me anyway
    <WNari> Hmmmm....
    <KRio> and Reaper Satou, too
    <KRio> ...he brought Kin to me and offered to help hunt
    <KRio> everyone in the station was kind of nice to me
    <KRio> it helped a bit
    <WNari> <3
    <WNari>
    <WNari> .........
    <WNari> OH GODDESS YOU'RE A MASHOU RIO
    <WNari> Can I keep being surprised at that?
    <KRio> i still kind of am
    <WNari> <3<3<3
    <KRio> but, um... yeah
    <KRio> i guess i need to make a decision...
    <KRio> this is hard
    <WNari> WELL
    <WNari> ...write down...
    <WNari> What you can ONLY do with one of them?
    <WNari> I mean, this is backseat opinion BUT
    <WNari> It seems like Haru has the advantage because... you can still do training with her,
    <WNari> But Rinko PROBABLY won't help much at all with publicity?
    <KRio> um, yeah
    <WNari> But Rinko is supposed to be a reallllly good coach.
    <WNari> Luna says meow, which is cat for supporting one of them, but I dunno which. =S
    <KRio> I should ask Kin what he thinks
    <KRio> because i guess i can do that
    <WNari> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <WNari> Can you talk to all animals now? Or just him?
    <KRio> um...
    <KRio> ...well i think the only animal i've seen is him so far
    <WNari> ...right
    <KRio> but i guess i'll try
    <KRio> next time i see a dog or bird or something...
    Rio looks to Kin, querying his thoughts on the decision. First lady is nice! Second lady wants to protect master!

A pause.

Both are good!

<KRio> ...Kin isn't helping
    <KRio> he likes both
    <KRio> silly old man
    <WNari> =S
    <WNari> I think maybe...
    <WNari> That is a lesson. Do not ask dogs for advice.
    <KRio> i guess so
    <KRio> maybe i should just sleep on it
    <WNari> Are you maybe favoring one? Have you talked to your mom too?
    <KRio> yeah, we talked after, i think
    <KRio> i want to go with Haru?
    <WNari> I think that'll be cool. =3
    <KRio> but... just want to be sure
    <KRio> i'll tell you anyway, and i think... i'll go to Wishcraft tomorrow?
    <KRio> i don't know when they want me to go back to school but
    <KRio> i guess i kind of need to figure out other stuff first
    <KRio> since...
    <KRio> i'm really a mashou now
    <KRio> ...
    <WNari> YOU ARE
    <KRio> it is really exciting
    <WNari has sent an image link!>
    Rio opens the link and... instantly recognizes the slightly chubby but still noticeably energetic Korean girl, sitting at a desk in her pajamas, giving an enthusiastic victory sign to the webcam, and the world's widest grin to match. On her lap is a slightly disgruntled black cat. That... still seems to be giving the feline equivalent of encouragement. Somehow.

Rio smiles in response to this, thinking for a moment before channeling the tiny orange gem set in the bracelet on her arm, summoning her costume with a sudden flash. She holds her hand up in a waving motion as she sets the webcam timer, giving... perhaps not quite as large a grin as Nari, but still quite big for her. Kin seems to recognize the happiness in Rio, lifting his head up and giving the canine equivalent to a smile, tongue hanging out, facing the camera until it flashes. And... she sends it to Nari, dismissing her costume again.

<WNari> <3
    <WNari> Should let you... sleep, probably?
    <KRio> yeah, i'm kinda tired
    <WNari> Can I tell everyone you said hi and might log on tomorrow?
    <KRio> i'll talk later, and try to bring back pictures if i go to Wishcraft
    <KRio> and
    <KRio> yeah, that's fine
    <WNari> Can't wait!
    <WNari> So excited for you.
    <WNari> Later!
    <KRio> later

With a contented sigh, Rio sends her computer back into sleep mode, before crawling into bed. Tomorrow would be another big day. Probably equally if not more exhausting. But... she still looked forward to it.

She's out fairly quickly, taking into peaceful sleep. Kin keeps a watchful eye over her before doing the same.

[Ward 13]

"You could say that, yeah. Now... I gotta go to ZTech to catch a forensics meeting. Talk to you later. Maybe. If you're not a ghost or something." Nadica shrugs, and rolls off into the hallway, the sound of her rocketing off from another part of the floor echoing throughout before the sliding whirr of the walls moving back into place, and then... silence. Well. As silent as a floor full of cats big and large can be.

Simba gives Hasunaga a grumble before prowling off.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2016-04-08 at 01:10 AM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Satou nods, moving behind Turnbull, and generally doing as little as possible to draw attention away from the bright, cheery, loud gaijin. At Duncan's indication, he carefully sets the package down, and unpacks it.

The rifle is just as she saw it in Gomes's message. Parts were carefully held in place, to minimize damage during transport.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

[ZT HQ]
    Vo looks at Duncan; things as they are now, you can't really guess age by looks, but she know she's older than he outwardly appears to be. Taking the gun parts, she starts to run comparison algorithms between her disassembled rifle and this one.
    "I-I d'nt make this'n, buuuut I m-m-made this'n." She pats the condenser of her rifle. "A-a-and I was workin' fr-from this model here, y'rs, as a basis."
    Last edited by Beans; 2016-04-09 at 08:14 AM.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Neo-Mitakihara, Japan]

Duncan frowns at that, but it's obviously not in anger, just thoughtfulness.

"So what ye're sayin', lass, is that our little party favor here was...what? Does Zeal make 'em in job lots ever, or is it just something y'all make by hand, and you yerself didn't make the one we brought in?"

No condescension, he's honestly curious and unsure here.

"Either way, is there any way you can help us track where it's been, who's had it, and so on? We're hopin' you can shed some more light on tha matter."

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ward 3, Zeal Technology HQ]

Satou just nods, slightly, and fades a bit more into the background. It's almost impressive, for those inclined to study social stealth, how he keeps himself only vaguely noticeable behind the wall of Friendly Neighborhood Police Officer that is Duncan Turnbull III.

As he does so, he also continues to try to get a read on their outside assistant. But then, if he's never picked up anything before, no reason he would this time, when the crime has nothing to do with her.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2016-04-10 at 07:09 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

[ZT HQ]

Vo takes a bit of looking it over, mumbling, before she looks back up.
    "R-ri-r-right, got s'm'answers f'ya." She clears her throat, adjusting her arglasses. "I-item one, this gun is... nearly n---un---ne---mint condition. No calcide striations in the barrel, no, uh, thermoshock decay---'s like they used it this one time 'n barely any more. I'd ge-g-guess some mob or other got it, fe-fe-fell off'abackova truck, kin'a thing, 'n kept it in the box til now."
    She holds up a piece of the gun. "It'm t-t-two: right, these gyroj-jet guns use har'wiired loggin' sys'ms t-to record e-every shot, 'n 's real hard, r-r-real hard, to... like, turn it off w'out brickin' th-the targeting. But they, uh, they went and did it. No Y-Yakuza tech-boy would be able to do this." She smiles, teeth glinting like plastisteel and carbochrome. "I, uh. I know. The Yakuza, that is. Oh, point three---th-the, uh, lot of its n-navigation systems? Out. W-wireless targeting relay node? 'S out. An' gyrogjet's o-o-only worth two damns if y'got targeting on it, otherwise 's just like... well, back when they first came out." She gives a wheezy giggle. "Norm'ly, w-without targeting, y'r, uh, b-better off just using the gun a-a-as a baseball bat. Buuuut," she coughs, then continues. "MGh. But. Y'either need an external targeter---'n thos're hell to get in Japan---uh, or y'gotta be, uh, b-b-be cy---en---uh, cybered up to toaster-man levels, right?" She taps her head. "Now, gim'a sec aa-a-an'..." A piece of equipment beeps softly and she checks it. "P-point four: uh, pre'sure no magic's touched this, so say my thaumscanners and radial mappers. So, uh, prob'not a mashou g-g-gunner. Annnd... uh. Oh, yeah. Poin'five... this. This is, like... gold. 'N hookers. Golden hookers, even. Uh, my, m-my point is, s' real good. Like... like, gorgeous. Yaks, Koshari, New Vory, ev-even th'old Sicilians, they'd bleed themse-s-selves dry f'rthis. W'hever, uh, did this... lem'tel'ya. Th-th-they go'be rich as hell, or crazy l-loyal t'whoever owns 'em."

As for Satou's read on her... it's a little complex. She's equal parts slightly pitiable eccentric and slightly off-putting---like the kid you felt bad for in high school, but didn't want to spend time around. As far as he's likely to know, her most negative quality seems to be in having a racy mouth around the ladies, which is perhaps made slightly worse because it takes her a while to get the words said properly.
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Neo-Mitakihara, Japan]

Duncan nods as Vo explains things, clearly working to understand through her stutter, but never trying to make her feel like he disparages her for said stutter. He's visibly patient and kind about it, without descending into actual pity. When she seems finished, he speaks up, a bit slower and softer than before.

"So. This is a top-of-the-line gun. Brand new, to boot, not passed down for years between men, or used by the same shooter over and over. So expensive it might bankrupt many organized crime units. Stripped of its integrated targeting systems to such a degree that it would require either an expensive external module, or someone with cybernetics almost as extensive as the Chief of the NMSF to utilize. Hm."

He seems thoughtful for a moment. Satou can tell Duncan's doing some math and it's not sitting well with the Scotsman.

"You mentioned what it would need for someone to target it properly. Is there any way to tell what method they used? Or even get readings on what, specifically, they used, like what model of external targeter, or what sorts of cybernetics? Anything stored in the gun's memory or the like? Indicators from plugs on the body, that sort of thing?"

He hopes it's not a stupid question, but as this whole case proves, apparently a long shot is better than no shot at all.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2016-04-12 at 11:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Old Mitakihara]
    [Fountain District]

If Nuan or Hoa are unsettled by Makoto's outfit, they don't express it. Of course, doing so would have been rather gouache, to say the least. It is an unspoken rule of etiquette among mashou to not level criticisms at each others' costumes. After all, the attire of a magical boy or girl is not something they consciously choose. It is a true reflection of their inner psyche and self-image, manifested through questionable fashion.

"Alright. Mashou, positions. Hold. Ready." Nuan's 'teacher voice' is still audible, but there's a firmly militant tone laced through it now. She raises a hand, and circular mirrors perhaps two feet across and spaced widely apart shimmer into being at several locations with a strong vantage over the battleground.

"We act on your volley, Makoto. Fire when ready, and be prepared to move."
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

24. - Top - End - #444
    Orc in the Playground

Deep in his heart of hearts, Makoto would be lying if he said he wasn't a teensy bit disappointed with their reactions. Then again, there would be plenty of time for the public to manifest theirs.

"Alright then."

Makoto plants his feet firmly into the ground as he begins to summon one of his biggest weapons.

"Vector Catapult: commence firing sequence."

A veritable weapons platform forms around the mashou. Stabilizing pylons plant themselves into the ground to diminish recoil. A barrel easily five times his height in length, and at least as wide as he is tall materializes in front of him, likewise stabilized by pylons staked onto the ground.

"Energy levels rising. 20%. 30%."

Thin blue wisps of magic energy appear at the tip of the barrel as they accumulate towards the bottom. At the same time, a portion of the barrel detaches into a pattern apparently meant to induce cooling as the energy builds up, cycling around the barrel proper clockwise, with a second set following suit in the opposite direction shortly.

"60%. 70% 80%."

The back end of the platform spreads out in a fan pattern vaguely reminiscent of wings. Apparently it's the exhaust - trying to compensate for some of the recoil with the gun's own excess heat.

"90%. Charge complete. Energy levels stable. Space compression reaching critical levels.

Sapphire Nightmare Cannon, FIRE!"

To say the sudden, icy blast of pure condensed frost energy is comparable to artillery might be either not too far off the mark, or something of an understatement. Weaponry of this scale isn't exactly commonplace for beginner mashou, at the very least. The weapon isn't silent, but the hum of sound it emits is surprisingly gentle compared to conventional artillery weapons from the turn of the century.

Time to see how big a wasp's nest Makoto just poked.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    [Neo-Mitakihara, Japan]

Duncan nods as Vo explains things, clearly working to understand through her stutter, but never trying to make her feel like he disparages her for said stutter. He's visibly patient and kind about it, without descending into actual pity. When she seems finished, he speaks up, a bit slower and softer than before.

"So. This is a top-of-the-line gun. Brand new, to boot, not passed down for years between men, or used by the same shooter over and over. So expensive it might bankrupt many organized crime units. Stripped of its integrated targeting systems to such a degree that it would require either an expensive external module, or someone with cybernetics almost as extensive as the Chief of the NMSF to utilize. Hm."

He seems thoughtful for a moment. Satou can tell Duncan's doing some math and it's not sitting well with the Scotsman.

"You mentioned what it would need for someone to target it properly. Is there any way to tell what method they used? Or even get readings on what, specifically, they used, like what model of external targeter, or what sorts of cybernetics? Anything stored in the gun's memory or the like? Indicators from plugs on the body, that sort of thing?"

He hopes it's not a stupid question, but as this whole case proves, apparently a long shot is better than no shot at all.
    Vo cricks her neck, steepling her spider-thin fingers. "Wellllll, uhhh. M-m-most likely, not g'n be an ex-x-xternal, uh, targeter---like I, like I said, 's crazy hard t'get one'a them th-through to Japan, g-given y'd have t-t-to ge'em fr'America. 'N with the, uh, unpleasantries with th'Yanks, that is... n-n-not easy." Coughing, she peers at the gun parts. "A-a-as f'r, uh, cybernetics... righ'now, I'm at a l---a lo---I'm drawing a bl-blank, sorry."
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Orc in the Playground

[Ward 3]
    (Zeal Technologies HQ)

"Cybernetic eyes, or ghost uplinks to the tens of thousands of drones we have flying around this place, maybe? They'd need to have an eye on several points to pull off a shot from the sea wall. An eye on Sato, an eye on the path of the bullet... so on." Nadica rolls in in her usual manner, lit cigarette on her lips, bottle of something in her lap (this time it's tequila), and a general air of ambivalence.

She holds her fist up to Vo for a bump. "Been a while, Vocustacular. A week maybe?"
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2016-04-14 at 10:40 AM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ward 3]
    (ZT HQ)
    Vo turns to see Nadica and gives a crooked, shiny grin; she completes the fistbump with her usual jerky un-grace. "Th-the bae returns. W-w-wh'kep'y'away so lo-l-long, beau-beautifu-ful?" She gives another of her breathy, wheezy, giggly cackles; Nadica is the main target of Vo's tactless flirtations toward the female mashou populace, mainly because she can ping just about anything off the older woman's near-impermeable armor of not giving a heck---that, and the difficulty of taking her staccato advances seriously. She turns to the guys and lets off a wink (though given her twitching it's more like 1.75 winks), jerking her head to indicate the wheelchair-bound woman. "T-t-this---see boys, uh, th-this is why I-I work for her, she f-f-fills in the gaps. 'Cept, uh, for the actual brain lesions, t-t-those're fulla implants. An'way, yy-yeah, I'd put my money on drones. Th'everywhere, 'n, uh, 'f they got the resources f'r this... beauty of a gun, n'much of a, uh, a stretch t-t-to think they'd b'able t'spook on our d-drones."
    🔜 🆒️ 🚰
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Neo-Mitakihara, Japan]

Duncan spared Satou a quick glance and slightly raised eyebrow when Nadica makes her appearance, but quickly flips back into "full bore mode" soon enough.

"I dinna believe in jus' rejecting an idea, but if you lasses think cybernetics are more likely, then we'll go with that. Beyond the gun, is there any way we could try to track someone tampering with the city's drone network? Or even..."

He frowns and scratches at his bearded chin for a moment.

"Could they insert drones o' their own into tha swarms? Slip them in, do the deed, slip them out? Like, I dunno, spoof their IFFs or somethin'?"

Thick gaijin accent or no the man isn't stupid.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Old Mitakihara]
    [Fountain District]

The sunken grocery center is, for a moment, a scene out of an exceptionally macabre snowglobe. Seaspray drifts in glittering, frozen motes, dusting the flash-frozen surface of the water. For a moment, the wraithsign fades. Almost long enough to entertain the notion that it would be nice if the shot actually killed the nest entirely. With the frost dancing in the light, it's outright picturesque.

But only for that moment. Then the screech comes.

It's a truly unique noise, indescribable in its hideous malignancy. Like a ripple of vile static, overloading one sense and bleeding into all others. It hangs in the air like the reek of death, and brushes one's face like a lattice of invisible cobwebs. It tastes like iron and anger, and colors one's sight with otherworldly static. The trio's souls gems flare, providing a quantum of shelter against the onslaught, and mashou instinct dulls their human senses to shield them against the otherworldly assault. No ground is given as the wraiths boil forth.

Shaky and incoherent in their forms, they lurch from the water with movements that correspond to their actual traversal of terrain in an uncannily loose fashion. There are impressions of pallid, drowned figures, swathed in tatters, but all attempts to focus on them as images fail. Only their vicious, toothy maws endure through the static, too-wide and ever locked in a deathly rictus grin.

But they could be tracked, seen, fought, nonetheless. Looking past what human senses could detect, to view them with second sight for what they truly were - humanoid masses of grief itself. Four. No, five. Most of them still stiff from the cold, and one struggling to tear itself from the ice. Their gazes lock upon the group as their wailing continues.

And then they are upon you. Taking the concept of material space as only the broadest of suggestions, the wraiths cross the gap with terrifying haste, maws wide and fetid breath washing over the group... only to slam uncerimonously into a barrier of reflective crystal, as an eruption of spores and vines deters those that might seek to circumvent Nuan's barrier. Another mirror materializes behind Makoto, reflecting a dilapidated office in the nearest skyscraper.

"Go! Stick to the plan!"
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

30. - Top - End - #450
    Orc in the Playground

[Old Mitakihara]

Makoto has studied hundreds of hunts. Reports, records of actual training sessions against live targets, instruction from some of the most capable people "in the biz".

But that never compares to what being on your first hunt looks like.

For the first time in a long while, Makoto is actually baffled at the resulting outpour of wraiths. This was one of his biggest weapons - he selected one with an impractical charge time precisely because the trade-off was enourmous firepower. He felt certain that anything that survived that would be weakened to the point Nuan and Hoa could pick them off themselves. But this? He isn't even sure if he got any of those, or if he only pissed them off.

Nuan's voice shakes him out of this disturbing line of thought and back into action. Leaping back into the mirror, he considers his options. At those speeds, he needs something with a guidance system or long-range precision - big explosions might not do the trick if they're not close enough together.. He knows both Hoa and Nuan are experienced mashou in their own right, so they CAN hold their own... but at the same time, it feels wrong to just sit back and "reload" for a bigger gun. Besides, as the ice wears off, those wraiths are going to get faster, and they're outnumbered.

If he can at least extend the effect a bit with some carefully-timed shots...

As this line of thinking goes through the boy's head, he manifests one of his best options for that kind of range: an anti-materiel rifle. He trusts that the wraiths won't be able to tell his position if he picks the right timing.

Taking a moment to exhale and empty his lungs, Makoto lets the innate mashou capacity for fighting take hold of his senses as he waits for the best time for precision fire...
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2016-04-14 at 11:12 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show