New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Kingdom of Mogorlund IC

OOC

Trumpets sounded throughout the Land of Mogor!

The cruel Emperor Thuul's Dark Rite was thwarted. The Seven Demon Princes were driven back to the Abyss, and Emperor Ghuul's own grandson, Shalrook the Scoundrel himself wrested the Crown of Many Eyes from the Emperor's severed head.

All was well...

Six Years Later...

King Shalrook the Liberator struggled to keep awake through yet another audience with the leader of the "Freefolk".

Every month they came with more demands. More reminders of how much they helped Shalrook in his flight from Thuul's Night Legion. More complaints about paying their fair due of taxes.

"Your Majesty, surely our people have paid more than their due already? How many of our sons fell in the Second Battle of Weeping Grave... Urk!"

The prattling suddenly stopped, as one of the faceted gems from the Crown of Many Eyes glimmered, and the leader of the Freefolk fell asleep.

Shalrook the First stood tall and addressed the throne room.

"The days of living in the past are over, O People of Mogorlund. No one knows more than I the sacrifices made to topple Emperor Thuul's regime! But do I come to you and ask to be given a free ride? No! You begged me to wear this horrible Crown!"

He glared at the crowd, daring anyone to contradict him. No one did.

"Our Kingdom is beset on all sides by enemies, and we squabble over who has to pay for an aqueduct! I could have just ridden off with my beloved wife to Lands Westward, leaving you all under Thuul's boot. You could all now be begging for death and the Hordes of the Abyss consumed your children!

"I endured the tortures of the Pleasure Garden! But rather than embrace the mercy of death, I fought on! I watched the Night Legion trample my mother as the people of Bend cowered in their hovels. But I fought on! I cradled my Syla's dying body and swore to her I would fight on! And you dare tell me of your sacrifice?!"

He glared at the collected lords, ladies and ministers. None dared meet his gaze.

"We have all sacrificed. We will all have more sacrifices in the days to come."

King Shalrook the First slumped down onto his throne.

Sacrifices would have to be made.

I will fight on.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-01-07 at 11:30 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)