New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default I just saw Transcendence SPOILERS (yes I know, behind the times)

SPOILER ALERT! Okay I know it's old news by now, but new to me and I couldn't find anything on the forums except two year old posts from people who condemned the film apparently based on a movie trailer and segued into a Skynet discussion. I'm not on a proper computer so no link for the moment.

Almost seems like people were missing the point of the movie. Sure the frame is Depp's character becoming a computer consciousness and blah blah blah some people can't or won't just go along for the ride as it were without getting all bent out of shape about science and and technology in the film.

But really it's a love story isn't it? I mean the guy pretty much literally finds a way to come back from corporeal death to be with the woman he loves and really pulls out all the stops trying to make her Dream/hope come true. For me anyway the end was really poignant. I'm glossing over stuff pretty broadly here, but either someone will fill in the blanks or we'll all start talking about X or Y scene. Or things will jump the rails. It's all good.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I just saw Transcendence SPOILERS (yes I know, behind the times)

The ending wasn't quite poignant for me because it was..... nonsensical.

"I can either save my wife, or commit suicide. Which may or may not save my friend. Also, I can't use the nanites I have in the air and ground to stop the terrorist jerks who killed me in the first place who are presently holding my friend, who mind you also tried to murder me, at gunpoint. Even though I used them three seconds ago to disassemble an artillery."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.