New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Desert Rats IC - Chapter 1

You are a kobold.

For longer than a century, perhaps even two, your tribe has dwelt in the depths of a cave, in the recesses of what you refer to as Claywyrm Canyon.

Unlike others of your species, your people live a generally peaceful life. You live off of desert animals, plants and cave moss. While you still kill outsiders and wanderers who make it too close, it is strictly defensive, and more often than not you're inclined to let them go on if they don't actually find your cave.

However, it was not always this way.

Many, many generations ago, the Dragon descended from the skies. A magnificent, massive creature of golden splendor dropped into your cave and beheld the swarm of diminutive creatures that awaited him. Your ancestors breathlessly dropped to the ground, some unable to speak, some screaming, others wailing, decrying his divinity. The Dragon's first words to your tribe, forever recorded among your halls, followed thus:

"Now, now." he said. "Enough of that."

He had a name- Bahrazan- but all except the tribe elders and the few who developed a more personal relationship still referred to him as Dragon, Great Dragon, Great One, Great Winged One, His Majesty, Goldsire, etc. etc.

He was humble for a dragon- but still a dragon.

He was quick to put all talk of divinity to rest, instead introducing the tribe to his deity, Bahamut. Within short order all the shrines and statues of Kurtulmak were pulled down and pounded to dust, and up went the effigies of the Platinum Dragon. Eventually, an entire cave section was chiseled into a smooth, straight-sided great hall, almost like any temple you would see on the surface. This area was dedicated to the worship of Bahamut.

The Dragon looked upon the scavengers, the cannibals, the trappers of men, and what he saw was not good. He sought to institute a semblance of law and order in the caves. Gradually, he instructed the craftsmen in the creation of their own valuables. He taught the secrets to cultivation of desert plants to everyone. More and more, traps not meant for animals seemed to spontaneously combust out in the desert. Those whose ways he could not redirect were taken to a very high place and dropped. And that was that.

-----------

A long, long time later, longer than any of you know for certain, the tribe is happy and productive. The Dragon was never able to parley your acceptance by the other humanoid settlements nearby, but he did help you establish relations with a half-orc caravan that made its way by every few months. You have everything you need. The Dragon sits upon a sizable stack of gold. All is well.

One fateful day, a hideous creature, resembling a human head with wings instead of ears, flapped its way into your cave bearing a small satchel with a particular sigil. Dodging to and fro from your sling stones and arrows, he made his way to the Dragon, dropped the bag, and disappeared with a poof.

The dragon carefully slid it open with a single claw and out fell a letter. Sighing annoyedly, he called for Vashino, his trusted assistant, to come and hold the letter open for him to see- though he forbid him read the contents himself. The Dragon eyed the letter for a few minutes, and then straightened himself up.

"Vashino!" he called. "Fetch me my belt and put the letter in it. I have business to attend to."

Vashino, you fetched him his "belt"- a strap that fits around his arm, with many pockets and loops designed to hold humanoid-sized items. Slipping the letter inside, you fastened it on to his arm.

"I must leave for a short while." he announced to the tribe. "An associate of mine from the old days has requested my assistance."

"I mean, the really old days." he remarked. "I'm not sure how he's still kicking. This should be interesting."

"I should be no more than three weeks." he continued. "Fear not, you are a capable crew. You can handle yourselves."

With much fanfare and waving of banners, hatchlings underfoot pinning ribbons to his scales, off he flew.

-----

That was two months ago.

Things are unstable in the cave. Your leader and eldest elder Kijin maintains order, but just barely.

"Grax." he approaches you one day. "I am afraid that things have become dire. Gather everyone into the temple hall. An announcement must be made."

As the de facto sheriff, you call for your deputies Valstrath and Skrizzik to group the entire tribe into the temple.

"Brothers! Sisters." calls Kijin over the yapping din of so many kobolds in one place. "As you know, our great dragon left us over two months ago. It has become clear that something is gone amiss.

"It falls upon us to find him. We do not know for certain where he has gone, but we do have this."

He holds up the satchel and points to the marking.

"A group is going to have to leave us and find him. We need volunteers."

Chaos.

Everyone is shouting to volunteer. The aspirants pile over each other. Unfortunately, in the shouting not all of them are able to provide Kijin with a thorough assessment of their abilities, and those who don't are not chosen.

"QUIET!" he shouts, holding a horn to his mouth. Calm settles in.

Jribus, the hunter, casually walks in, hides and meat slung over his shoulder from his recent outing. Kijin points him out. "You! Ranger! We will need someone with your skills to track the dragon."

"All by myself?" he asks dryly. Those who know him, however, can tell that he is barely containing his excitement at getting to go alone.

"Of course not!" says Kijin. "I have selected others who will go too."

"Grax. Your unwavering dedication to the good of others, and your commitment to a better future for our people will keep the group from going astray. You will go."

His brother Trok protests. "Elder! I am the Dragonwrought! It should be me who goes."

Kijin holds up a hand. "You are needed here, to maintain order. I have made my decision on this matter."

"Vashino. Your intelligence and preparedness will suit the group well. You are also more familiar with the Dragon than anyone here, save perhaps me and the other elders. You will go."

"Valstrath. Your wary nature will protect the others. Skrizzik. Your keen eyes will watch over them through the desert. You two will go."

"Lastly, Jribus. Your skills are needed. I know you thought us unsympathetic when your assigned parents were killed by those..." he shudders and shakes his head. "Evil, twisted people. But such is life in the desert. Such is the fate of our kind when we do not pay hazards their due. Strength will be required for the trials ahead, and it is my hope that this journey will grant you closure. You will go."

"Your path will be fraught with perils, but I am confident you can overcome. The Dragon believed we were strong! We must carry this belief with us." he hands Vashino the sigiled satchel. It is rough to the touch and solid, more like a lidded box than a bag. The sigil, something like a spiky common-language M with a rose in the center, covers the buckle. Vashino opens the satchel and looks inside, to find... it doesn't seem to have a bottom.

[ACQUIRED: Small bag of holding, with sigil.]

Reaching inside, you find nothing but a small onyx gem. [25 gp value]

Kitjin dismisses everyone else and shortly the temple hall is empty, save him and the five of you.

"The closest place you might find information is the gnome settlement of Cinnamon Dunes. I know, I know." he holds up his hands to assuage your grunts and looks of disgust. "It's not ideal. And it will not be safe for you. Civilized as they claim to be, gnomes hate our kind. However, they are the best source of information I am aware of. Prove their hatred misplaced or burn the wretches to the ground- it matters not how, but you must find where to go. Take these."

He gives you each a [Potion of Cure Light Wounds].

"You should all be off, as soon as possible. If not, others might get it in their heads to leave ahead of you, and with the Dragon gone we cannot risk sparing any more unless absolutely necessary.

Good luck, and Bahamut be with you."

You step outside into the canyon, the sun beaming down on your faces and the desert before you. Cinnamon Dunes is three days' journey north.

How do you proceed?
    Last edited by Chilimaggot; 2016-01-18 at 12:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Desert Rats IC - Chapter 1

Alright Brothers, we better sort this out quickly. Jribus, I am not a tracker myself, but I believe a two month old trail from a flying creature would be quite hard to follow, am I correct?

Grax is attempting to recall his Trok's comments on the areas north of the Cave, up to Cinnamon Dune.

Knowledge (Local) roll: (1d20+3)[1](1)
    Nothing to see here, move along.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

You know just about squat. You never seem to have been paying attention when your brother mentioned the perils of the nearby area.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"We must find the Great One as soon as possible. I say we march directly northward immediately".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

You track him as prey, but he is hunter. We follow the word of his sighting and the absence of his prey. Even the mightiest can be found thus. We only need to find his trail.

Jribus is a little bit smug when delivering his answer, because this is something that any hunter of any merit would have learned at the beginning of his training and it feels good to prove his use immediately.

6. - Top - End - #6

"Brothers! We can not just go running across the dunes. We must take stock of what we have available. The Master had me remove the letter without reading it. It must be that he wanted it as a secret. He did not take the bag, or this gem...", as he pulls out the stone.

"Now, I do not identify this symbol beyond possibly a common letter and a not-so-tastey plant. The gem, however, can be used in Necromancy. Perhaps it was to send a message of death".

Vashino looks outward, at the horizon, then to sky. "Three days is far from home. I hope he sees us on his return".

7. - Top - End - #7

RogueGuy

Hm....perhaps we need check his lair. There we may find much useful information...

8. - Top - End - #8

"All he has is gold. Gold coins. Gold bars. He trades what he does not want or need for gold. A good idea, but not for our Golden One. Now, maybe, I think, we can just get close to the gnomes and find one away from the rest, rather than go inside with the whole lot. Diplomacy seems dangerous. And I don't speak gnome. What if they craft secret plans? I know I would..."

9. - Top - End - #9

RogueGuy

So we shall go. We need supplies if we are to brave the desert. Shall we meet back at the exit in two hours?

10. - Top - End - #10

Jribus, I see your point, but this is no ordinary hunter. I don't think the footprint will be as obvious, but we'll keep our eyes open. Also, I believe we're not given a choice, but a duty, and thus we must leave at once, lest our place will be taken by other, more eager ones, even if less prepared.

Vashino, I think the techings of Bahamut would have us try diplomacy first and foremost, strenght second, and subterfuge last, if ever. The slight against our father Kurtulmak was along time ago... and he was our father, but he is no longer our God.

Vaalstrath, I agree. We must take the path north at once. I would, however, prefer to do most of our travel at night.

11. - Top - End - #11

"But Grax, Bahamut's friends, the Brass Dragons... They too would rather talk than fight. I don't know about how the gnomes might react. It just might be easier to bury it up to the neck in sand before we start the diplomacy. If we do it my way, I might be able to make it dig its own hole. Just a suggestion. I just need to grab my things".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Valstrath beholds the scene amused.

I'm not suggesting we be foolish. But that we not waste time.

13. - Top - End - #13

RogueGuy

Does anyone have spare water? Searching in the desert may not be as fruitful as we might like.
    Last edited by brentcourtney; 2016-01-18 at 11:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Something lands in the dust beside you. It's a loosely bound sack. Inside are five days' worth of food and water, as well as any belongings you had left in your room.

You look back to see Trok and a few other rejected volunteers blocking the cave entrance.

"Well? You scared?" He crosses his arms. "If you don't think you can handle the journey, just let us know. We're ready to head out now."

He points at the sack. "That old fool Kijin wanted us to bring you your things. So there you are."

He turns and walks back inside. The others follow.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Skrizzik was getting bored, watching the crowd is not one of his favorite activities. Ever since he'd gotten his "position", his days became more and more boring. " 'Skrizzik stand there, Skrizzik fetch me this, Skrizzik you're on guard duty...' bah I miss the days when I could explore the desert." he thought. He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't understand what the elder was saying, only starting to listen closely because of the noise the crowd was making. This was his chance to leave the cave once more! Delighted he basked in the thoughts of then sun on his skin, hunting evil humans (even though it involved mostly running away) and all the other joys of the desert.
    Lost in daydreaming, he was left a bit behind as the rest of his group started discussing of a plan. After hurriedly reaching them, he snarls at Trok saying: "Kljin had his reasons for choosing us, dragonwrought." He then picks up his belongings from the sack.
    Last edited by Reb46; 2016-01-19 at 05:18 AM.
    Avatar by a friend of mine who prefers to be anonymous

16. - Top - End - #16

Well, that settles that. Let's start the march north, and discuss the details on the way.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Valstrath nods, hoists her glaive over her shoulder and sets off into the desert.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

You know of two routes you can take through the desert- straight over the sand, or through the rock formations at the exit of Claywyrm.

The sand offers few places to hide, but it's unlikely anything would be able to sneak up on you.

The rock formations offer more shelter, but similarly can hide unseen threats.

Threats Grax knows jack-diddly about.

19. - Top - End - #19

RogueGuy

I vote we go over the sand. The way is clear and we are less likely to seem suspicious to other travelers.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"We cannot trust outsiders. I say we travel through the rock formations."

21. - Top - End - #21

More thinking aloud than speaking to the group, Vashino says, Yes, yes, both have their merits and issues... I suggest we let the desert decide.
    He pauses.
    I do not currently know how to let the desert decide
    He takes out a copper piece.
    This one side, desert, this second side, rocks (1d2)[2]
    What a great experiment. I will have to remember this technique in my studies

22. - Top - End - #22

Mph, it is a bad idea to go into the rocks not knowing what we'll find there, but the weather may be against us in the open sand.

I say we should be ready to face the dangers of the rocks better.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Rocks hide many threats, the open desert is way safer in my experience! Or at least we'll know what's coming...", Skrizzik says. "The weather could be bad but us kobolds of the desert can withstand it without any problem. Your method of speaking with the desert seems perfect, Vashino, I wish I had such a deep connection with our land."
    Last edited by Reb46; 2016-01-20 at 10:50 AM.
    Avatar by a friend of mine who prefers to be anonymous

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Together you come to the general decision that it is safer to make your way through the rocky area at the end of the canyon. Distributing your water and food, you set off.

The day is long, and the day is hot. Your trek passes without event until early in the afternoon. Making your way through the canyon, not yet at the exit, you turn a bend and see a lot more green than you'd been expecting.

Clusters of cacti decorate the rocks around you. Some of them sprout up from desiccated remains you cannot identify. The cacti are odd- they look extremely swollen, and almost seem to pulse the way a nasty boil would from a person's heartbeat. Wicked spikes protrude outward from all them.

Every so often, a dull clicking noise reverberates through the area.

25. - Top - End - #25

"This does not look good. Jribus, have you seen anything like this before? It has all the markings of a trap."

"We could probably try our bolts against those cactus, see if they do something..."

26. - Top - End - #26

"I suggest we remain vigilant on our perception of the surroundings while I ponder some of this strangeness... I mean, stop, lemme think".

Spoiler: Possible rolls?
    Show

(We are using 2d10, right? It hasn't come up yet)
    Those remains: Know Nature (2d10+7)[16]
    These cacti (from looking!): Know Nature (2d10+7)[19]
    That sound, is it from... Nature?!: Know Nature (2d10+7)[13]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Valstrath will glare angrily at the cacti and adopt a fighting stance.

"We should leave."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

(Why use 2d10 and not a d20? I'd prefer a d20 but keep that roll this time)

From this distance Vashino cannot identify most of the remains. They've been dried to a husk and mangled by the plant growth. A few skulls stand out in different places- they don't seem to be the same. It's a mix of different creatures.

You do, however, know these cacti. They are horrendously explosive. For a time some of your trapsmiths and botanists had worked to breed them into a useful defensive measure- but they were unable to make them stable enough. A stiff breeze could set them off. Several of your people died before the project was put to bed.

You can tell that your group could move safely through them if they did so quickly, quietly, and carefully. There are no stiff breezes this deep in the canyon.

You cannot identify the clicking noise except to say that it is from some sort of insect or similar creature. Though it's definitely increasing in frequency. And moving behind you. It now emanates from the path you followed to get here.
    Last edited by Chilimaggot; 2016-01-20 at 01:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

"Something is catching us up from behind. Does anyone know is these things are poisonous?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Vashino knows they are not poisonous.

(Golly, 'explosive' wasn't enough?)