New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Arrow Discussion Thread

I don't watch this show, but I think it is kind of annoying how it pops up in the Flash thread a lot. So this shall be the official thread concerning the tv show Arrow about a guy who has a bow and arrows and is all dark and brooding like Batman and fights Batman villains but isn't Batman and has a 3rd season everyone I've come across says is terrible.
    Last edited by Zmeoaice; 2015-05-14 at 12:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Arrow Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    I don't watch this show, but I think it is kind of annoying how it pops up in the Flash thread a lot. So this shall be the official thread concerning the tv show Arrow about a guy who has a bow and arrows and is all dark and brooding like Batman and fights Batman villains but isn't Batman and has a 3rd season everyone I've come across says is terrible.
    It is indeed annoying to have to. It is also indeed all the things you said.

It is however the last episode, so it's moot at this point. We should probably be talking about that awful looking Supergirl series or the awkwardly titled Arrow spinoff that are both gearing up.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I don't really have anything more to say on Arrow in general.

As to the Supergirl series, it looks a lot like one of the many comedies CBS releases each year in hopes that one of them will inexplicably become popular but that never actually lasts a full season since they're incredibly blandly written -- but with Supergirl for some reason.

I'd like to be wrong, really, an upbeat Supergirl series would definitely be of interest to me, but...

*sigh*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I obviously didn't pay enough attention when watching that trailer this morning... well okay I didn't watch all of it because I use the train to go to work and only learned about it this morning thanks to Comic book cast.

The impression I got from what I watched is wondering if Calista Flockhart's going to be the big bad of season 1 unaware that her assistant is the reason her schemes are being thwarted?

So Kara has an older half sister named Alexa and her parents are Dean Cain and Helen Slater... interesting call back there!

As for Arrow, well caught the clip when he helped Flash and Firestorm clip the Reverse Flash's wings... that I found amusing!

Last episode of season 3 right?

Huh, can't help feeling they could have spread Ra's across two seasons with Nyssa the big bad of this season leading to Ra's appearing in the last episode following Nyssa's defeat.

Could have spent the entire season leaving us guessing who killed Sara and reveal it was Damien Darke I mean seriously if Ra's takes the guy seriously so should the Arrow writers...

Yes I read they were posting in the Flash thread because it wasn't interesting enough to keep its own one running! Pun Intended!

Jimmy Olsen introduced, sorry James Olsen speaking of which when are they going to introduce Iris's cousin Wally?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well finally managed to watch the trailer...

Seemed okay, is that guy she reveals her secret to going to be the Toyman?

Apparently Jimmy sorry the James Olsen of this universe knows who Superman is!

The Pilot's big bad is an alien with a grudge, I really need to go back and find out what else they revealed about that!

Flockhart's playing Cat Grant felt like she was miming the version from the Lois & Clark show back in its first season!

Note I have no problem with Liz Hurley playing a bad guy ala the failed Amazon pilot, but wouldn't this work better by having her appear following a mass breakout from say an Argus prison ala Flash?

By that I mean Kara's first appearance so we have Argus thinking she's one of theirs and even if proved otherwise thanks to a certain Amanda Waller's tendencies seek to capture her so we have a nemesis worth watching?

Her sister is actually trying to help her and then the Argus boss whose playing the role that eventually becomes Cyborg Superman is her first season nemesis...

Her working for Argus is a bit iffy or whatever they end up calling them... DEO perhaps?

I'd have had her be maybe 18-20 tops and emphasize that she's still growing up so we can have her meet Arrow and she acts as if she's geeking out whilst he's left bemused that the so-called threat Argus called him in to fight is actually a fan of his!

Lord can you imagine a meeting between her and Ray Palmer?

I can see her texting Felicity and they have a humourous little crossover where we see her answering an email and in Arrow we find out what Felicity texted her about and vice versa!

Sorry guess I'm more hyped for the Legends of Tomorrow preview they should be airing at the end of the Arrow series Finale!

Good sequence but would have worked better if we had her join her sister in the big city looking for a job instead of already established because that would make a more interesting story, oh well it wasn't bad that much I will say.

So any bets they will cast Circe for this series?

Magic is one of the El's family vulnerabilities after all!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Just watched the last episode of Arrow season 3 and really all have to say is ; what kind of idiot only puts one parachute in his plane ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Just watched the last episode of Arrow season 3 and really all have to say is ; what kind of idiot only puts one parachute in his plane ?
    I was thinking something the opposite. If he really intended to go down with the ship, why put a parachute on the plane in the first place?
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Well thinking about it I supposes it depends who was responsible for the plane.
    If it was Ra's, he's an idiot
    If it's Ollie, I presume it was for Nyssa to have a chance to get out

Also now I think about it if 'League body armour' is good enough to save Ollie's life how come none of the League facing Diggle ever seemed to be wearing it ?
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2015-05-14 at 04:35 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Arrow has a cast that mostly tries and very good effects (for CW budget) and often good action. It's the writing that's failing the show (pick your point in season 2 where the pace nosedives). The flashbacks worked well initially but should have stopped somewhere in the second season, it's just getting absurd at this point.

Season 3 Arrow could suffer from outside demands (having to set up characters for future series and the Legion show), but that's still a problem the writers should have been able to handle much better.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

If you don't watch so i suggest you to watch it's 4 series, it's nice story and i specially watch it for Green Arrow who is most leading and stylish appearance at all some stylish costume images at filmstarjackets store.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The wife and I just started it. We're enjoying it, though there's a fair degree of scenery chewing. Once you accept it as a soap opera with action scenes, it becomes fun.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    The wife and I just started it. We're enjoying it, though there's a fair degree of scenery chewing. Once you accept it as a soap opera with action scenes, it becomes fun.
    Yeah, most of the first season seemed entertaining. But, for me, it started going downhill around the Christmas episode. But then, I didn't care much for their Huntress.

Spoiler: ...
    Show
    And are we just supposed to accept that this entire show happened because Merlyn's wife was stupid enough to call her husband repeatedly as she lay dying, but not 911?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

So Constantine was a fun cameo. Who else thinks so?
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    Agreed. I actually never bothered watching the show, but the cameo was a lot of fun and I may consider going and checking it out an episode or two now.

That said, last weeks episode was my favorite in a long time. The scenes between Detective Lance and Oliver in particular sold the episode for me.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    You do have to work hard to accept sometimes that the Queen family's problems are actually anything like a big deal.

John Barrowman also does a lot of heavy lifting in acting terms, delivering lines with conviction where he explains a nonsensical course of action because "my family is really important to me".

Nevertheless, it's pretty watchable.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I expected John to steal the show and he did about as expected. I didn't expect him to get all punchy and gun-wieldy, and the find the soul scene was a bit underwhelming and afterthoughty, but John himself was fun as always. I'd love to see more of him but that runs the risk of him regularly upstaging everyone else.

So far I'm enjoying Dahrk. Arrow has generally had good boss villains, to make up for the teen soap opera protagonists.

@ Seerow: Constantine was a good show. A bit shaky and bland to start with but it straightens up pretty quickly and allows John to be more like his comic self towards the end.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    I wonder if Detective Lance's actor made any comments.

"What is this? Is this supposed to be me? Is that how I came across? Was Harry in the TV show based on this guy? I dunno, he seems really familiar."

18. - Top - End - #18

What was the crossover like, I didn't see it yet.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    What was the crossover like, I didn't see it yet.
    The flash part was rushed, and had Merlyn a little out of character, and for some reason wrote Cannary out... the arrow part was awesome beyond words... except

Spoiler: ending
    Show
    Why can't Ollie learn to just tell the truth...
    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trish- 3rd/5th battlemaster fighter/infernal sword warlock (5e D&D)
    Vesper-6th Gen Tremer (OwoD)
    Emerald Star- PL13 GL of Earth (Mutants and Masterminds DCU)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreD&Dgirl View Post
    The flash part was rushed, and had Merlyn a little out of character, and for some reason wrote Cannary out... the arrow part was awesome beyond words... except

Spoiler: ending
    Show
    Why can't Ollie learn to just tell the truth...

Spoiler
    Show
    While pretending to help Team Arrow and protect his daughter, Merlyn actually was doing favors for Vandal Savage. What is out of character about that?

The ending was classic Ollie. Long before the first episode of Arrow ever came out, Oliver Queen has been a guy who is frequently his own worst enemy. His saving grace is that he cares so much about other people and he is willing risk his life over and over to help other, but otherwise he is a bit of a mess. I give kudos to the writers for not forgetting that just give a happier ending.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ranxerox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    While pretending to help Team Arrow and protect his daughter, Merlyn actually was doing favors for Vandal Savage. What is out of character about that?

The ending was classic Ollie. Long before the first episode of Arrow ever came out, Oliver Queen has been a guy who is frequently his own worst enemy. His saving grace is that he cares so much about other people and he is willing risk his life over and over to help other, but otherwise he is a bit of a mess. I give kudos to the writers for not forgetting that just give a happier ending.
    Spoiler: flash not arrow
    Show
    It was out of character how he showed up with a bunch of ninjas gave info then vanished... the way he shows up in a suit to talk in arrow is better
    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trish- 3rd/5th battlemaster fighter/infernal sword warlock (5e D&D)
    Vesper-6th Gen Tremer (OwoD)
    Emerald Star- PL13 GL of Earth (Mutants and Masterminds DCU)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreD&Dgirl View Post
    Spoiler: flash not arrow
    Show
    It was out of character how he showed up with a bunch of ninjas gave info then vanished... the way he shows up in a suit to talk in arrow is better
    Arrow fans know Malcolm Merlyn is the head of the League of Assassins, so it isn't necessary him to show up dressed all in black and flanked by ninjas in order for them to understand how he might already know stuff about Vandal Savage. A lot of Flash fans have no idea who Malcolm Merlyn is, so the ninja entourage was needed to clue them in on the fact that he is not just some evil businessman.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

In this latest episode, I noticed an Easter egg/bit of foreshadowing. That thing that Felicity showed her dad in Palmer Labs was definitely a T Sphere. I guess they are setting up Curtis to be Mr Terrific, which is really cool. Somehow I never noticed before that the character's last name is Holt.
    Last edited by Ranxerox; 2016-02-11 at 02:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Ranxerox View Post
    In this latest episode, I noticed an Easter egg/bit of foreshadowing. That thing that Felicity showed her dad in Palmer Labs was definitely a T Sphere. I guess they are setting up Curtis to be Mr Terrific, which is really cool. Somehow I never noticed before that the character's last name is Holt.
    They've actually appeared several times before that, as far back as Curtis' first episode (IIRC, I don't really want to backtrack Arrow just to check this). Heck, there's even one episode where Curtis is literally wearing the same jacket as Mr. Terrific.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

So, I not the most observant guy in the world. My wife could have told you that. Still, I glad that they setting up to add Mr. Terrific to the Arrowverse. Though admittedly this does not bode well for the health or longevity of Curtis' husband.