New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Using Dungeons And Dragons Alignment System In Real Life

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    No - that's a single axis.

In D&D, good/evil is one axis, and Law/Chaos is a second.

In humorism, wet/dry is one axis and hot/cold is a second.
    Ahhh, gotcha. I suppose it suffers from lumping in too many things on a single axis.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    When does a selfish act become an evil one though? If by committing the act or refusing to help, you knowingly cause harm to others, is it still merely selfish or actually evil? Where is the line drawn when it comes to things like the Bystander effect?

If enough people are selfish enough to not pay their fair share of taxes, it causes problems for the government - board rules prevent me from going into detail, but see Greece's current situation.

Another less political example is the recent London Underground attacks, where two men stopped the attacker while others stood around and filmed the incident instead of helping, although I concede that apathy may be the more prevailing attitude here.
    Essentially, Good or Evil require actively going out of ones way to harm or help others on general principles. If you're not doing that, then you're neutral. If you're just helping yourself in a way that could potentially harm someone else....

And indeed, it could. Hence why it's a Chaotic action to not pay your taxes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

While I don't think attempting to fit people on the alignment system should be taken seriously, it can be an amusing intellectual exercice, so why not? Just remember it's just a vague description of a person's behaviour and shouldn't lead to a broader judgement and it should be alright.

Now, I disagree with the people who consider that something can only be evil if the intent was to harm. The intent can be anything all the way to good, if the person knowingly took harmful means to get there, it ends up meaning more than the intent.
    Greed isn't necessarily evil, maybe you'll just express it by working lots of overtime, nothing wrong with that. But if you decide that fraud or theft are your way to get rich, it doesn't matter that your motivation was not directly to harm: you decided that harm was an acceptable cost, that's on you too.

I think trying to pin alignments on people I know tells more about me than about them. Most of my friends fit best as chaotic good, even though I consider myself rather lawful. Almost every people I personally dislike I perceive as lawful evil.
    Neither is a surprise: I appreciate people who have enough empathy to spontaneously want to do good even if it doesn't fit into a set moral system of theirs, and I despise people who, seeing injustice happen, choose to rationalise it and believe it just fits in how the world is and should remain.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Sounds like something I do in my head I'm chaotic neutral for sure!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    The closest analogue I can think of from reality is humourism (and the Galenist model of temperament), in which you essentially have four points to be measured against and the relative levels of each determine the overall character of the individual. And while, medically, humourism has obviously long been discredited, it was around for a lot longer than modern psychology has been (and some of its influences can still be seen in some current theories of psychology).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Very nice catch. That is a genuinely new observation. It's an actual two-axis system that includes a component of human behavior.

But while humorism is similar in having two axes, wet/dry & warm/cold are completely unrelated to Good/Evil and Law/Chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Would the Chinese Yin/Yang dualism component of Taoism count as another two axis system?
    I think the very closest system out there has got to be Discordianism, which uses a two-axis system almost identical in principle to the one in D&D. (and, incidentally, represents the order/chaos axis with a modified yin/yang sign)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Earnestly using alignment in real life is a Bad Idea. Then (assuming an Eberron-like alignment where people are pretty evenly divided), you start wondering who among your acquaintances is Evil, and telling yourself they're evil in the common sense of the word, which is something you shouldn't think of a person, pretty much ever.

If you're able to avoid judgment, however (which is difficult since the system is biased towards Lawful and towards Good, starting with the words themselves), and use alignment for recreational purposes rather than serious moral evaluation, I find it helps a lot with broad characterization.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Imagine if you use the Dungeons and Dragons alignment system in real life. For example I changed from Lawful Good To Neutral Good but I still got some Chaotic Good inside of me. How will you go using the alignment system in your daily life?
    Haha, we use the D&D stat system in daily life. "That guy was huge! Like muscle 16 or 17 for reals! He had a Charisma score of 4 though."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Dungeons and Dragons alignment system is a fictional construct and is not applicable to real life*.
    Attempting to use it in real life is akin to waving a small wooden stick and yelling the names of Harry Potter spells while expecting to produce any kind of real effect.

* according to a splinter faction of RPG cynics, it's not even applicable to Dungeons and Dragons.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post
    * according to a splinter faction of RPG cynics, it's not even applicable to Dungeons and Dragons.
    Even 5e doesn't really care for its own alignment anymore!
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-02-17 at 01:38 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, if I am going to classify people like that, I'll use the five colors of Magic: the Gathering. It has a lot of flexibility like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.