New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Banned

Default Re: The Threshold IC (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

It's a brief moment of violence and bloodshed. As the group starts moving northeast, the strange creature unleashes her vile minions - whatever they are. You move out of range of two groups of maggotaurs, while moving closer to the last group, which meets you head on.

Ralf the dog, already set for assault, easily tears apart the first creature it meets. One creature latches it's toothy maw unto Tobias, tearing into his soft, vulnerable flesh and issuing a sucking, slurping and strangely gleeful sound as it starts consuming him. However, Bobin quickly plants a slingstone in the un-face of the thing. The stone simply disappears into it with a *floomp* - but it works, and the maggotaur drops like a sack of potatoes.

Jon, for his part, impales the last of the group, his spear sinking deep, then tearing the creature litterally apart as he pulls it back out.

The three maggotaurs lie dead, and you find yourselves standing ankle deep in a spreading pool of disgustingly viscous ichor.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

"Run 'vryone!", shouts Jon, as he waves his spear towards the way beyond the defeated worms. He waits for everyone to pass by him, making sure to be the last in file.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If we're still under Init order, delay to be the last to leave (if needed, didn't check everyone's Init, Jon might be last already), then double move away.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

3. - Top - End - #183
    Banned

Show

Still under initiative - and changed initiative is noted =)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tobias heads up the path a bit, putting Jon's spear and Ralf's jaws between him and the center of the 'crossroads'.

He focuses his concentration on the dangerous looking figure of robes before studying the thick and thorny plants, calling on them to block the path.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

5 foot step to the open path.
    Draw sling.
    Cast Entangle spell [DC 14], so that the edge of the spell fills up the NW path, up to the group.
    Ralf readied action:
    attack (1d20+3)[5]
    damage (1d6+3)[6]
    trip (1d20+2)[13]

Spoiler: status
    Show
    Tobias Green
    male NG Human 'Hunter' Druid 1, Level 1, Init 3, HP 7/10, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 16, Flat-footed 13, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Sling (20) +3 (1d4, x2)
    Ranged Touch Net (1) -1 (0, -)
    Unarmored (+3 Dex, +3 Misc)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 8
    Condition None

Animal Companion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Riding Dog "Ralf"
    Size/Type: Medium Animal
    Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 18 (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
    BAB/Grapple: +1/+3
    Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+3)
    Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+3)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Trip (+2)
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Skills: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3, Survival +1 (+5 while Tracking)
    Feats: Alertness, Track
    Tricks: Attack, Attack (all), Defend, Down, Fetch, Seek, Work
    Last edited by Edgar Snow; 2016-02-22 at 12:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185

Bobin hurries past Jon, down the path to the North-East, stepping around the bodies of the three now lifeless maggotaurs. As he moves he readies another slingstone, debates firing, but thinks better of it and instead hustles down the path.

Back off!" he yells toward the ragged figure.

Show

Move down the path as far as Bobin's little legs will carry him

Spoiler: Status
    Show

Bobin
    M NG Halfling Soulknife, Level 1, Init 3, HP 12/12, Speed 20
    AC 17, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, Fort 3, Ref 6, Will 4, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Soulknife (melee) +4 (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
    Sling (20) +5 (1d3+2, 20/x2)
    Dagger +3 (+5 thrown) (1d3+2, 19-20/x2)
    Leather Armor, Buckler (+2 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Condition None

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Woggle; 2016-02-22 at 04:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

"Running!" Alya confirms as she hurries - not very fasty, if fact, keeping pace with Bobin - down the now-free pass, "Jon, don't you stay back yourself!"
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

"Why ain't you runnin'!" Tobias seems to be doing something weird, like magic maybe? Jon hesitates to grab him by the arm to drag him away. He grits his teeth and turns towards the monsters behind them, setting his spear like Da' taught him.
    Spoiler: actions, round2
    Show
    Move: move just in front of Tobias, protecting him from the monsters.
    Standard: brace spear against any enemy coming into reach (if they charge, double the damage).
    • Attack: (1d20+3)[5]
    • Damage: (1d8+3)[5]
    • Crit' confirm: (1d20+3)[4]
    • Crit' Damage: (2d8+6)[16]

AOO 1, if needed
    • Attack: (1d20+3)[23]
    • Damage: (1d8+3)[9]
    • Crit' confirm: (1d20+3)[14]
    • Crit' Damage: (2d8+6)[16]

AOO 2, if needed
    • Attack: (1d20+3)[13]
    • Damage: (1d8+3)[9]
    • Crit' confirm: (1d20+3)[20]
    • Crit' Damage: (2d8+6)[17]

Spoiler: status, round2
    Show
    Jon Turnip
    Male LG Human Paladin, Level 1, Init 1, HP 13/13, Speed 30 ft
    AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, Fort 5, Ref 1, Will -2, Base Attack Bonus +1
    Long spear (reach) +3 (1d8+3, x3)
    Da's long sword +3 (1d8+2, 19-20)
    Chainmail (+4 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition None
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

8. - Top - End - #188
    Banned

There is a moment of confusion. Everyone wants to get out - but then, everyone wants someone else to run first. Tobias begins casting a spell to ensure they get away safely - then Jon grabs his arm, almost making him lose concentration. Bobin readies his sling, then thinks better of it. Eventually though, you all reach the same conclusion, and make a run for it.

However, these are the outer planes. Magic is wilder here, less controlled, more primal. And sometimes even the most reliable spell - on the prime - acts subtle different when in contact with the raw power of the outer planes.

As Tobias is casting his spell, the maggotaurs are rushing towards him. If it can be called that - their stubby, clumsy appendages aren't truly made for speed. But to the best of their ability they are closing the distance, they lamprey face/mouth's chomping hungrily. As the magic takes root, the razor weed on either side of the rampart twitches, then grows, snakes it's way across the path, burying the maggotaurs in their winey, spikey embrace.

It's is a spectacle to behold - though not a pleasant one. The maggotaurs are shredded by the thorns, long gashes ripped open in their soft, rubbery flesh. They ooze, then gush ichor, and before you know it, all of the oncoming enemies are destroyed. And by such an innocent spell, too.

The strange creature - or thing - controlling the maggotaurs shrieks in dismay, and it's already mournful dirge turns even more regretful, full of despair and sorrow. Seing the cause is lost, it simply drifts away - out across the razor weed.

9. - Top - End - #189

With wide eyes, Tobias lets his sling drag through the blood and ichor on his way along the path. "And to think, I was going to put myself at the center of that...
    Ralf, smell these dead ones. Got it boy? Bad. You smell, and seek, these are bad.

He turns to the group, still dangling the piece of leather as he leads his dog away. "He has such a good nose, he could probably smell them 25, maybe 30 feet away, even if they are hidden. Okay, so... Mild detour perhaps, but we should always have the giant flare to mark the way".
    Last edited by Edgar Snow; 2016-02-23 at 12:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Bobin turns when he hears the rush of growing vines. His face grows a little pale at the violence of the spell, glancing slightly worriedly at Tobias. He's a little relieved at Tobias' equally surprised looked. Seems he wasn't quite expecting that either... I guess it got the job done, anyhow.

"Well, I uh... Huh. That's quite... something. But I suppose we'd better keep moving, if we want to get where were going. Hopefully things will be a bit smoother from here on out." Bobin thinks for a moment that maybe he shouldn't have said that last bit, but too late now.

"Is everyone alright? Physically, I mean." He nods at Tobias' smell remark. "I'll try to keep a better eye out from here on. This place makes it a little difficult to tell where danger might be, however."

Bobin makes sure everyone else is well, then sets off once more down the path, keeping a shot ready in his sling.

Show

Bobin will check for any hazards after travelling a little way forward.
    Spot - (1d20+5)[21]
    Listen - (1d20+7)[24]
    Last edited by Woggle; 2016-02-23 at 05:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

"Toby the dog is alright k... Bobin." Jon doesn't seem to be the shocked in the least by the aftereffects of the spell. More precisely, he seems to have forgotten about them before even registering that they happened. He follows his friends, as oblivious to danger as before.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Banned

One disadvantage of being on the ramparts of some forgotten fortress is that, where the ramparts go, there too shall you go. So when the path veers off to the west, you have little choice but to go that way. All things considered, it's not a catastrophe, but it does cost you time, and make your feet slightly more weary.

Not too much later, you get out of the sea of razor weed, and off the ancient fortress walls. You find yourselves in yet another part of the city - if you had to guess, maybe it's some sort of ... neutral plane slum? At least, the inhabitants seem neither ugly nor beautiful, neither good nor evil - just tired, destitute and despirited. You see what appear to be derelict constructs (though it's hard to see what constructs might need to be happy in life - maintainance?!), strange goatmen with natty and smelly fur, even elementals who manage to appear down on their luck.

It's late in the day, and you require a place to rest. You locate a single inn - Handrey's - in this part of town. It actually seems less seedy than the area it's in. But you could also move on.

Show

Your characters may well not know what an elemental is - but it's just easier to explain that way. Constructs are reasonably common in this world, wizards generally have some sort of guardian, either a summon, or an undead, or a construct, or someone mind controlled. Even if that's patently impossible in E6. Since you're not playing wizards, the explanation shall be unnecessary at least at present.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon stops in his tracks, not far from the inn. He is staring at a fire elemental on the other side of the street. "Why's that man on fire? Does it hurt 'im?"

14. - Top - End - #194

"Jon, I think, in this place, the residents may very well be wondering why it is you are not on fire".

Tobias's answer is mostly an acknowledgement that he can't explain something he doesn't understand. Part of it is also trying to put on a brave face.

"I think the inn is the best choice. We should get as few rooms as we can, hopefully with locks. I don't think we need to be splitting up. I certainly can take a spot on a floor. Oh, and let's try not to mention where we come from. Or anything about souls I suppose".

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon points to his chest. "Me? On fire?... why... Why do they want that? That ain't a nice thing, I mean, it burns I'm sure." Jon shudders. Then Tobias proposes to stay at the inn. "Me an' Toby, I mean, Toby the dog we sleep together on t'ground."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, I'm not sure why exactly is he on fire", Alya mentions after some consideration, "but I'm pretty sure that if it did hurt, he'd be screaming and rolling on the ground... Probably. So don't you worry, Jon - and, also, in used to sleeping on the ground myself... But having a roof - and walls - around would still be nice. Even more importantly, I'd kill... Not literally, of course", she immediately adds remembering Jon's around, "for a chance to wash my clothes... And myself, for that matter. The... Insides of those worms... So, yeah, let's try the inn - it didn't look that bad..."
    Last edited by jamieth; 2016-02-24 at 10:58 AM.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #197

Bobin yawns slightly, nodding in agreement to Alya. "I'd certainly prefer to sleep in an Inn tonight," He says. "Or whatever time it is now, since it doesn't seem like night and day are really things here. It'd probably be best if we all stayed together, but that goes without saying."

With that, Bobin walks purposefly toward the Inn, trying not to think too much about the men on fire.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Banned

Handrey's Inn. As you pass through the door, you are surprised by the apparent quality of the establishment. It's not decked out in silk and silver like a royal castle - but there are soft chairs, set tables, waiters serving, and everything appears to be crisp and clean.

It's also obvious that the inn is divided in two. The larger part of the place is dedicated to food, wine, and so on, the classical picture of patrons seated at table, engaged in dining and conversation. But a smaller area, on the left towards the rear, is cordoned off from the rest of the inn. Here are placed a number of desks, where business is taking place. You cannot tell what sort of business, but it's clear the poor and destitute people outside do not dine here - however, they do take part in this business, somehow.

Presiding over this business is a gentleman in refined clothes - vest, bowtie, a pocket watch (that you guys likely take for some sort of ornate jewelry), and a walking stick. His face is that of a slightly fiendish hyena, and there is a glint of arcane fire in his eyes.

As you take in the place and it's various strangenesses, a young - apparently human - waitress approaches, and asks politely: Table for four? Right this way please.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon follows the waitress to the table. He seats in a way to be able to watch the business on the other side of the room. He tries, without much result, to figure what's going on.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Banned

Spoiler: Jon
    Show

Does notice that - for someone doing such steady business - not a lot of customers walk away smiling, or happy.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon is disturbed by what he sees. He stares at the being seemingly in charge of the business.
    Show
    Detect evil on the being with fiendish hyena face. By the way, if the creature is what I believe it is, Jon should be stunned and fall from his chair.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

"Table for four, please", Alya nods, "and a bath if possible - I'm fine with cold water, by the way, just... something to wash all the... stuff away"

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #203
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Jon is disturbed by what he sees. He stares at the being seemingly in charge of the business.
    Show
    Detect evil on the being with fiendish hyena face. By the way, if the creature is what I believe it is, Jon should be stunned and fall from his chair.
    Show

Jon spends a few moments getting a reading on the creatures aura. Now, what Fael described as being morally incompatible - what Jon basically feels is a word for evil - manifests as swirling black colors in the aura. This guy doesn't have that. There may be some hints of darker shades, but nothing truly defining. Instead, the aura is predominantly grey, calm, and ... edgy, spikey.

Let me know if that's complete nonsense to you - then I'll elaborate slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    "Table for four, please", Alya nods, "and a bath if possible - I'm fine with cold water, by the way, just... something to wash all the... stuff away"
    Our rooms have baths - and um, our water is hot, ma'am. Will you be requiring a room?

24. - Top - End - #204

Bobin glances over in the direction that Jon is staring intently, briefly noting the hyena-faced... gentleman? He or she is certainly well-dressed, but apart from that, Bobin doesn't even try to guess. With no frame of reference to the inner workings of this place, he simply shrugs his shoulders and turns his attention to the waitress. The mention of baths is certainly appealing. Bobin hadn't been exactly pristinely dressed when they had set out, and that had been many hours ago.

"I believe we will require rooms, yes," Bobin interjects. He adds "you wouldn't happen to have any ale on tap, would you? I think that would really hit the spot."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

"In that case, yes, yes we will require a room!" Alya exclaims excitedly, "In fact, it's bath first, meal later for me... be seeing you in a couple of minutes, guys - and no peeking!"

Extended signature

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Jon stands up from his table, and moves towards the other area in the room, stopping just in front of the cordon. He waves a salute to the person with the bow tie, hoping the latter will come to him.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Bobin glances over in the direction that Jon is staring intently, briefly noting the hyena-faced... gentleman? He or she is certainly well-dressed, but apart from that, Bobin doesn't even try to guess. With no frame of reference to the inner workings of this place, he simply shrugs his shoulders and turns his attention to the waitress. The mention of baths is certainly appealing. Bobin hadn't been exactly pristinely dressed when they had set out, and that had been many hours ago.

"I believe we will require rooms, yes," Bobin interjects. He adds "you wouldn't happen to have any ale on tap, would you? I think that would really hit the spot."
    Finest ale in Sigil, sir. Asgardian ale is particularly famous, as are he brews of the bariaur. Should I bring you a card tp chose from, or do you have a preference, sir?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    "In that case, yes, yes we will require a room!" Alya exclaims excitedly, "In fact, it's bath first, meal later for me... be seeing you in a couple of minutes, guys - and no peeking!"
    Certainly, ma'am. If you'll come this way, I'll show you to your room.

Jon stands up from his table, and moves towards the other area in the room, stopping just in front of the cordon. He waves a salute to the person with the bow tie, hoping the latter will come to him.
    The well-dressed gentle-hyena saunters over, eyeing Jon curiously.

Mortal. Innocent. Idealistic. He muses to himself. Then: Hello, my friend. You are a primer, am I right? How may I be of assistance?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hello kind sir or madam. I'm a primer? I... huh... don't know, really, if I'm. I... huh... I don't understand much about your business? What's goin' on here? Why d'your customers seem so... unhappy with t'trade?"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Banned

"Hello kind sir or madam. I'm a primer? I... huh... don't know, really, if I'm. I... huh... I don't understand much about your business? What's goin' on here? Why d'your customers seem so... unhappy with t'trade?"
    He smiles a smile full of both mirth and fangs.

Sir will do, my friend. 'Primer' refers to your home - where you're from. The 'prime material plane' as it were. When you think of your home, that's on the prime material plane. Everything you see here? He makes a sweeping gesture, Is on the Outer Planes. It's complicated, but it's related to what I do.

More often than you'd think, people wind up here without wanting it - and without the means to return home. Now, getting home can be complicated, and expensive. I help, where I can, but my services aren't cheap. Lots of people have to work really hard to get home. Some never do.

That's why people aren't always happy when they leave here: They've just learned just what it will take for them to go home again.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Finest ale in Sigil, sir. Asgardian ale is particularly famous, as are he brews of the bariaur. Should I bring you a card tp chose from, or do you have a preference, sir?
    "Perhaps a card would be best, thank you," Bobin replies smilingly. He stretches out his legs, removing his hat and doing his best to relax.

To Alya, as she leaves: "See you in a few, then. Don't drown, Ha!"

Bobin takes little notice of Jon's interactions with the Hyena gentleman, as he is too preoccupied with the anticipation of a good meal and fine ale.