New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Children of the Diamond Throne (IC)

Audhild tilts her helmeted head slightly to the side. "Sure, ye can count me in," she says with a slight shrug. "I'm sure company such as yers'll help me own business loads."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I would be honored to serve you Governor. It would be my pleasure. For the time being, I request a simple item: a heavier shield than the one I have. Nothing too fancy or out of the ordinary, a mere twenty gold pieces." Thrain, being a lesser child and having joined the faith of the Ancestors, did not receive much money from his house - in fact, he did not have enough money to buy the slightly more expensive shield variety that he would have wanted without going broke.

The Governor of Maris? Even better than I could have hoped. I'll be courting not one, but two important dwarven leaders. Everything goes smoothly.
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

The young girl chuckles softly. "A heavy shield, eh? I could make ye one, if I get me forge into tha city." She hesitates, then shrugs. "At leas' I'd need access ter tha proper tools. O' course, it'd take me about a week. It'd a good deal faster ter get one tha's already done."

She crosses her arms over her breast plate. "An' tha'd be some shoddy work on me part, rushin' tha build so much," she adds drily. "Fer proper craftsmanship, it'd take no less than five weeks. I donnae mind tha' work, but I think we have nae tha' time fer it."

4. - Top - End - #34

AssassinGuy

Roth chuckles at Malanath's response. "No mischief; I simply find my diplomatic efforts are often hindered more by the presence of other alleged diplomats than helped, but must often round out my retinue to make the correct impression."

He then glances at Thrain, a smile still gracing his lips. "I am certain something can be provided for you; for appearances sake, it will, of course, bear my crest."

And at last, he peers at Urval. "And I trust this meets your needs for...honor?"
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Urval nods, having listened carefully to all the information and questions put forth.

'Indeed, undertaking such a task is anything but dishonorable; the mere invitation has a certain nobility of spirit to it. I accept.'
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

"Oh, of course. I would be honored to bear your crest." Thrain turned to Audhild. "Thank you for the offer, but if Governor Vollaz can provide a heavy shield, I see no reason to wait for one."
    Currently Playing:

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Well, then. We all seem to be agreed. What happens next?" Malanath is grinning and a bit, or perhaps very, enthusiastic about the current situation and not quite sure what to do with himself.

8. - Top - End - #38

AssassinGuy

"Well, I have business to attend to before the event tomorrow night," Roth replies. "You have rooms somewhere around here, and may entertain yourselves until then. Ivan, see they don't get into too much trouble. We will meet in my suite at five hours past noon tomorrow, so until then."
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

9. - Top - End - #39

"Well, I feel that introductions are in order. I am Thrain Firebeard, a cleric of the ancestors. I wander the Diamond Empire, bringing the lessons of the ancestors. As you can tell, I am descended from the union of a dwarf and an azer." Thrain's 'hair' was of fire, and his skin was copper, marking him as being descended from the
    Currently Playing:

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Ivan

"I am Ivan Boulderfoot, a born arcanist with an affinity for the earth that we live and breathe in. I came here with the elder's guard, and I'm not sure what he's planning...but I'm glad he included me in it. What do the rest of you do?"
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Audhild rolls her shoulders, then draws one of her axes, tossing it casually in the air and catching it by the hilt. "Me name's Audhild, Audhild Rumnaheim. I'm a warrior and smith by trade." She draws the other axe, takes a quick stance, then relaxes with a chuckle. She returns the axes to their loops in her belt. "I be ready ter fight anythin', if tha's wha' be needed."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Malanath nods his head at the group. "Me name is Malanath. I'm a-following the call of the Earth Dream and I can use the magic of nature. I've a Wolverine around here somewhere tha' I seem to have forgot aboot 'til now. Any chance ye could help me find him?" He's quite obviously embarrassed to be asking for help from people he doesn't know very well and because of his own foolishness as well. Internally, he is berating himself for being a bald faced midget that he could lose his beloved pet in all this excitement.

13. - Top - End - #43

AssassinGuy

The next day passes quickly; with space to sleep and rest, you seem to have gotten the best out of traveling into the city. It is soon time to depart for the celebrations at the Governor's Mansion, in the best clothes you brought for the occasion.

The city seems to have been further enhanced, gems (or likely glass bespelled to appear like gems) embedded in nearly every surface. The mansion itself is resplendent, gleaming with gold-edged jade. Roth leads your party to the front entrance, a wide-set gate abutted by guards in gleaming green armor; he hands over a stack of tickets, earning you entry into the estate and building. And there, hundreds of dwarves are gathered, men and women mostly of the upper echelons of the state's society - impressive, even if the company would pale to that available in the Diamond City.

"You may feel free to wander, or stay close to me. Simply be polite, and stay out of trouble," Roth murmurs.
    Drew

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Audhild is carrying her helmet under her arm. She is still clad in her mithral plate, as she considers it by far her best "clothes". She studies the green armor with professional interest, but doesn't linger.

"Trouble? Ain't never been in trouble in me life," the young lass mutters, shifting her weight from foot to foot. She doesn't stray far from the governor.

15. - Top - End - #45

Like Audhild, Thrain dressed in his armor, but his reason was a far more practical one. Thrain, being incredibly poor, did not have much wealth to his name and only had the most basic of clothing - not at suited for a proper event like this.

"Oh yes, of course, sir." Thrain searched the crowd for anyone that he noticed or thought to be of importance, either religiously or politically.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+5)[24]
    Currently Playing:

16. - Top - End - #46

AssassinGuy

@Thrain
    Spoiler
    Show

Most people are dressed in finery; it is difficult to identify subtle gradations of rank without some good knowledge of the nobility, or, you note, as you see a priest of Moradin pass, the religious orders. There are knots of people surrounding several individuals -

a green-clad middle-aged women in finer clothes than almost anyone there, likely high-ranking nobility of Emerald City;

a man dressed in a grey cloak on top of ancient adamantine armor - an aged medallion around his neck identifies him as Elder Iroasth, the de facto head of the dwarven ancestral following within the Emerald City.

and a well-armed woman whose armor and weapons bear a strange, crystalline sheen - a mark of the Order of the Diamond Blade, who are both warriors and the 'face' of the Emperor outside of the Diamond City

Religion (1d20+14)[27]
    History (1d20+9)[19]
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2016-02-23 at 01:29 PM.
    Drew

17. - Top - End - #47

Thrain walked towards the dwarf in the grey cloak, and listened in to any conversation going on near the elderly priest.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+5)[14]
    Currently Playing:

18. - Top - End - #48

AssassinGuy

Arctos
    Spoiler
    Show

Their voices are low, and hard to hear over the chatter of the crowd. You hear some snippets of words as you draw close. [b]"...divinations are vague...royal oracle...extra eyes on the celebrations..."
    Drew

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Ivan
    Ivan mills about the room for a little while before recognizing an older distant cousin by his heraldry. They spend almost half an hour catching up. During the conversation, the cousin mentions something about "bad omens."

"Can you tell me more about that? I thought everything was fine this year... but this is my first trip for this."
    Campaign Logs:

20. - Top - End - #50

AssassinGuy

"Haha, everyone always jokes about that sort of thing around these big events. I think people just want these celebrations to be a little more lively. The most exciting thing that's likely to happen is an uninvited guest."
    Drew

21. - Top - End - #51

AssassinGuy

People stopped arriving about half an hour after your group, and the party settled into general mingling. The hour or so after was uneventful; however, at that point, agitated sounds echoed from one of the outer halls.

@Perception checks
    Drew

22. - Top - End - #52

AssassinGuy

The sounds, a sort of clattering, grow a little louder; or those closest to them are quieting.

@Ursus
    Spoiler
    Show

The noises you hear are clearly those of battle.
    Drew

23. - Top - End - #53

Thrain heard the sounds of battle, clear as day, and sprung into action. I must prove myself. Win honors, for the clan. For the clan. Thrain grabbed his axe and shield, and ran towards the fight, casting a simple spell on himself to increase his ability to fight.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Thrain casts Bull's Strength on himself and runs towards the fight.
    Last edited by UrsusArctos; 2016-03-22 at 06:20 PM.
    Currently Playing:

24. - Top - End - #54

AssassinGuy

The furthest door slams open to reveal a humanoid figure dressed in concealing metal armor, stained with blood. Standing a foot taller than even the tallest person present, the figure would be imposing even without the sign of violence. Behind them stands a dozen or more creatures, horned humanoids with a sickly pallor to their skin. Each wears a heavy breastplate and carries a long, blood-soaked sword.

Their appearance silences the ongoing party, and the leader looks back and forth, as if assessing.

"What's going on here? I thought this was a party!" It looks down at its chest and wipes away some blood, revealing a stylized red dragon emblazoned on the armor. "It's the blood. It's always the blood, I know. But hey, I'm here with a limited, one-time offer. Everyone except you-" he points at Roth, "And you-" he points at the green-clad woman likely to be the Emerald City's governor, "can walk out here, free and clear. I and my friends here won't touch them. Anyone who stays...well, I can't promise you'll enjoy the sort of party games I like."
    Drew

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Ivan

Partway across the room, Ivan scowls. He steps off of a rug and grinds his foot against the stone, and the top layer of stone under the attackers' feet turns into black, sticky tar.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20-4)[-2]

Using Resinous Tar from CM on the leader and the squares behind him.

The resinous tar spell makes a solid surface
    sticky. Movement costs across the
    area are doubled. Any prone creature
    in the area must succeed on a DC 10
    Strength check to stand up.

Campaign Logs:

26. - Top - End - #56

Thrain clutched his waraxe in two hands, and looked at the intruders. They were clearly up to no good and threatening to kill many. This was not the time for pleasantries, not that dwarves were ever good at that.

The azerblood charged, swinging his axe at the leader of the group.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+1)[12]

Droin's Fury:
    (1d20+10)[21]
    (1d10+8)[16]
    Currently Playing:

27. - Top - End - #57

AssassinGuy

The lead warrior's armor turns aside the blade, and gestures at the tar as it forms below them; it vanishes, leaving no trace. A blue shield of force flickers into existence around them. The horned warriors spread out, cutting at anyone who gets in their way.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+6)[10]
    (1d20+3)[20]

(1d20+10)[18]

Captain Urzoi, Elder Roth's personal bodyguard, hurries next to Ivan, tugging Elder Roth after him. "I need you to get Elder Roth out of here. Get the additional bodies the elder picked up to help, and guide anyone else you can get out; there's a door to the kitchens to the back of the room. I'll handle this."

He closes his eyes a moment, and the air around him takes on a hazy quality.

"Hey ugly! You with the shield spell! Why don't you try your hand against a real warrior?"

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[13]
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2016-03-24 at 04:00 AM.
    Drew

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Audhild puts her helmet on and draws both her waraxes, then follows the Elder. She raises her voice, calling out, "Ev'ryone, gather up!"

She glances back at the bodyguard but quickly returns her attention to getting as many people to get out through the kitchens. She mutters about "self-importan' fools" and how they "need ter learn ter take help" but she doesn't let it distract her from her task, making shooing motions at stragglers with her weapons.
    Last edited by Taelas; 2016-03-27 at 08:16 AM.