New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: GURPS Planescape: Unknown Steps - IC

The man slowly awakes, look at you puzzled and try to take a view of his surroundings.

"Oh, uh, what? Who are you?" He seems to be relieved when he noticed where he were. "And what are you doing at my home?". He don't seem angry, just puzzled and groggy.

And he is talking an accented english. Izzy and Adrian notice that the accent is somewhat close to welsh's.
    Is parsley scarier than nutmeg?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

- Good day to you, sir. My name is Stanisław - said boy looking friendly at the man - We ale lost and homeless, can we stay at your place? You know, it's rainy outside. Plus as Suzume said, you are gonna get soaked if you will not go inside.
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

"My name is Suzume."

The girl holds out a hand to the man and helps him to his feet.

"I don't actually know how I got here. Or where 'here' is. We were hoping someone could help us figure that out."

She indicates the stormy skies with a gesture.

"Would you mind if we came inside to avoid the weather while we talk? We'll be careful with your home."

4. - Top - End - #304

He slowly get up, still looking at you with puzzled expression, and with a frown as if suffering from a hangover. He puts a hand on his head, leaning on a table at the side of the door

"Uh... I guess it's ok. Suzume, right? My name is Aedan, and we are at Mag Mell. You aren't petitioners, are you?
    " He winces, as trying to remember things of last night. "Weren't you on the party, at Branscarreg? I guess I drunk too much, my friends must have carried me home." He enters his home, making a sign for you to follow. Then suddenly stops, putting his hand on an empty scabbard on his belt. "Eh... haven't you found my sword around here, by chance?"

EDIT: I didn't saw Toptomcat's post before sending mine... editing his answer.
    Last edited by lenon3579; 2016-02-13 at 11:35 AM.

5. - Top - End - #305

Suzume brightens up.

"Ah! You left it there. We saw it earlier. Didn't want to leave it in the rain, but we didn't know who it belonged to, either- so we didn't take it. I'll go fetch it for you."

Suzume sets down her things and sets off back down the path at a run, trying to get there and back before the storm gets any worse.

This is a lucky break. Things will go much more smoothly now that I've had a chance to do him a favor.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2016-02-13 at 11:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306

Flumph

Adrian raises his eyebrows.

-As my dear friend said, we did find the sword... But we decided not to take it: we did not knew wether we'd ever meet the owner. My name is Adrian, by the way - he adds offering the man a smile. -Shame we did not arrive for that party, looks like it was a blast - he continues. He is looking the man in the eye, moving a bit closer, smiling and adapting his body language to seem amicable. - But we just arrived very, very recently. It so happens, we got lost and have no idea where we are... Or what a "petitioner" is, he adds, pronouncing the term carefully and raising his shoulders, as if to imply he does understand that they should know it, that it is silly not to know what a petitioner is.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Adrian goes full charm offensive... this guy just woke up, probably with hangover, and he wants to ensure he helps them as much as humanely possible
    Last edited by Don nadie; 2016-02-13 at 11:54 AM.

7. - Top - End - #307

Aedan smiles at Adrian and says "Well, get in. I don't have much in terms of space or chairs, but I can light up some fire to warm you and dry your clothes"

The interior of the house is somewhat unsettling. On one side it is a shelter of a little of humanity in the middle of that weird wilderness. But on the other side it feels out of place. It is not what you would expect of a house, even a countryside one. Things seems a little too primitive for your senses. There is no refrigerator, cooker, or any recognizable technologic utensil, nor any sign of electricity or running water. Instead, there is an oil lamp on a side of the table and a wood-burner furnace, to wich Aedan is heading now. He take some dry firewood piled beside the furnace and tries to light it while talking to you.

"Well... that's a thing. I'm a petitioner myself. During my life I dedicated myself to the right path, celebrating the rites on the right seasons, being respectful to the fields and living a simple life. Well, that's as far as I can tell, I really don't remember much of the time before getting here. But now I'm part of here, a soul chosen by the Dhaghda to live in Mag Mell forever. I am here from some weeks now, since my mortal me died... somewhere I don't even remember."

As he said that last word he finally managed to light up the furnace, for whose heat your bodys said "thanks".

Spoiler: Stanislaw
    Show
    The house looks like something you would find in Skyrim or Dragon Age.

Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    The house looked like the one you saw on your vision. And the inside is a dream of an archeologist. There are some utensils from late iron age that never had been made again, all brand new and put into use.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lenon3579 View Post
    Aedan smiles at Adrian and says "Well, get in. I don't have much in terms of space or chairs, but I can light up some fire to warm you and dry your clothes"

The interior of the house is somewhat unsettling. On one side it is a shelter of a little of humanity in the middle of that weird wilderness. But on the other side it feels out of place. It is not what you would expect of a house, even a countryside one. Things seems a little too primitive for your senses. There is no refrigerator, cooker, or any recognizable technologic utensil, nor any sign of electricity or running water. Instead, there is an oil lamp on a side of the table and a wood-burner furnace, to wich Aedan is heading now. He take some dry firewood piled beside the furnace and tries to light it while talking to you.

"Well... that's a thing. I'm a petitioner myself. During my life I dedicated myself to the right path, celebrating the rites on the right seasons, being respectful to the fields and living a simple life. Well, that's as far as I can tell, I really don't remember much of the time before getting here. But now I'm part of here, a soul chosen by the Dhaghda to live in Mag Mell forever. I am here from some weeks now, since my mortal me died... somewhere I don't even remember."
    "'The Dhaghda?' I've heard that term before. A robed man referred to the food available in the forest, game and fruits and such, as its gifts. I'd assumed 'The Dhaghda' meant the forest. Was that right, or does it mean somethin' else?"

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Samantha is a bit disturbed - this man seems to be talking as though he is dead, and as if this is all part of some afterlife, and she's scared of what that might mean for herself and her new companions. Never mind that this place seems like the set of some period piece.

"Aedan, is everyone who comes here, to Mag Mell, a petitioner like yourself? Or are there people who aren't petitioners?"

10. - Top - End - #310

Aedan turns to Jacob as if stunned. "You don't know who the Dhaghda is? Now, THAT is weird. He is the father of all gods and godesses." He stops a little, taking a bottle and giving it a sup. Then he puts it aside, sitting on a chair, with the hand on his forehead, when he hears the question from Samantha. "Oh, hi. I guess you didn't introduced yourself yet. But no, not everyone around here is a petitioner. On Cromlech, a village near here, there are some other people. They are called "planars", I don't know why. But they at least know where they are. Maybe thay can help you a little more. I heard that some of them travel a lot, doing merchant things and the like".

Spoiler: Suzume
    Show
    You don't have much trouble on your travel to the stone circle. Instead, it is surprisingly near, and you reach it in only five minutes. The sword is were you left it, and the travel back is also uneventful, except for a glimpse of a gray robbed man in between the trees. But when you tried to see him better he had faded away.

11. - Top - End - #311

The sword is were you left it, and the travel back is also uneventful, except for a glimpse of a gray robbed man in between the trees. But when you tried to see him better he had faded away.
    Suzume gives the robed man a wave and a hopeful "Hello?", but when he doesn't reappear, she shrugs and continues on her way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Suzume arrives at the door of the hut in fairly short order, soaked from head to toe. The rain's really starting to pick up.

"I think this is your sword, sir. I tried to keep it dry on the way back, but I really didn't have much to keep it dry with."

She bows shallowly as she presents the weapon to him.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2016-02-13 at 11:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312

Flumph

Adrian is too happy about there being a fire to care about being in an uncivilized shelter. Maybe the guy is one of those preppers or some other weird trend. But as he speaks, Adrian gets more and more confused. The idea that this is the place of a God is... strange. But it is the man's last phrase that gets him. The others ask about the Draghda and petitioners, but Adrian is shaken. After he talks about the village of "planars", Adrian speaks, fast.

Wait a minute... You mean petitioners are dead? You are dead? And... this is some afterlife? Adrian takes a deep breath. But there's also living people in a village nearby, those planars...

This he says without softening it to be nice or trying to charm the man. Adrian is far too freaked out. Are they all dead? And what kind of hell or heaven includes purple horses and constant headaches?!

--------------------------------------------

Suzume arrives right before the man can answer him. She sees Adrian looking unsettled.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don nadie View Post

Wait a minute... You mean petitioners are dead? You are dead? And... this is some afterlife? Adrian takes a deep breath. But there's also living people in a village nearby, those planars...
    A look of mild horror crosses Jacob's face as he puts two fingers to his neck and feels for a vein.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2016-02-14 at 05:04 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314

Aedan listen to Adrian with the attention his hangover permits him, trying to smile and be gentle. But when Suzume arrives he just go to her and take his sword.

"Ah, yes, that's the one. Thank you, dear lady. Please, come to the fire. Today the rain will be that way all day and night long, until tomorrow's dawn.
    " He then turns back his attention to Adrian again. Well, I'm only a newly arrived petitioner, I don't know the way of things here yet. But yes, I passed the 'death' thing, living my mortal body behind and gaining this one. I'll be immortal as long as I don't get out of Mag Mell. In Cromlech there will be people that can tell you more. I can get you there, if you want to."

Spoiler: Jacob
    Show
    You feel your pulse and all your body sensations as normal. You are breathing and your heart is pulsating.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

- But but but...! - Stanisław was almost shouting - But it is impossible! There's no scientific provement of God or gods, we are alive, a was just drinking hot chocolate and then *PUF*, I'm there! And you cannot be dead if we are talking with you! It's... it's... it's... it's an utterly nonsense!

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

16. - Top - End - #316

Flumph

Adrian seems to calm down a bit after hearing the reassurances from the man. Mostly, he seems to relax a bit as he says he is immortal... And this whole thing about the gods... Of course, he thinks, madness. But still, if the madman can take them to civilization... Adrian opens a smile again.

We'd love if you could guide us to this... Cromlech place. Maybe once the rain stops?

Then he turns to his companions.

Maybe we can take this gentleman's hospitality and rest for a while? I am sure, he says, emphasizing the word "sure", once in a village we'll find someone that can make this clear.

17. - Top - End - #317

Suzume shivers at the thought of being dead- then frowns.

"You say that you're dead. Do you remember dying? I don't think any of us do. We were all brought here in an instant, between one step and the next. For us to have been killed like that..."

She pales.

"The world would've had to have ended abruptly, in that instant. Billions of lives across every continent snuffed out in a moment.

There's only one thing that could do that. But if there was a nuclear war, where's everybody else?"

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

- I... I do not think that we are dead. Or that there was a nuclear war. Do any of you know something about it? - asked Stanisław, looking at his companions.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

19. - Top - End - #319

Aedan looks puzzled as he tries to follow your conversation.

"What's a sci.. ss... whatever you said? And that war that can destroy an entire world? And how can you doubt that the gods exist, and that there is an afterlife???" He seems really upset "There are lots of proves that the gods do exist. If they didn't existed, after all, just how would the magic be made? And all the healing and ressurrection spells that only clerics make?"

After that burst he gives a small pause, and another sup on the bottle.

"Well, the rain will stop only at dawn. That's how weather works on the month of Revolvis: one day of sun, one of rain and another of cold. You can sleep here if you want to, but there is no extra bed. I'm afraid you will have to sleep on the floor. And tomorrow morning I'll get you all to Cromlech... and then again, dear lady" he talks to Suzume "I don't remember much before my arrival here. Petitioners don't usually remember anything of their mortal time. So I guess you are still mortals, like those planars".

20. - Top - End - #320

Flumph

Magic, healing and resurrection?, thought Adrian. Definite maddness... right? While the man sounded more ridiculous by the minute, a part of him couldn't let go of the fact he had seen a damm violet horse. And the appearing suddenly here and all... But no, he couldn't really trust the man's interpretation of events. Probably madness. Didn't people that drank too much lose it? It had to be that.

Thank you, I am sure the floor will be fine after a day sleeping in the wild. And at least we won't get wet.

With the invitation and still chatting, Adrian leaves his backpack somewhere it won't bother. He seems to think of something.

Quick question... since you know this place a bit... Have you ever seen a violet horse arround these parts? Adrian can't avoid smiling as he says it, silly as it sounds. But it may be a way of checking wether the man is actually mad.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

- Eeeeem... - that was all Stanisław was able to say. His host seemingly did not know about science (was that really possible?) and he was talking about magic and resurrection and clerics.

Stanisław was shocked. He lived in Poland and as such knew well of stupidity that can be caused by religious upbringing, but this case was something special.

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

"What sorts of thin's can the clerics of the Dhaghda do? Is appearin' out of nowhere entirely normal for 'em? And then whisperin' an order into a deer's ear that the deer obeys?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2016-02-14 at 04:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Samantha had introduced herself to Aedan quickly, and then listened in while the others talked. While they had been in the woods, she had been able to focus on the present. Now as they talked to Aedan, the sense that this was all like a very vivid dream was returning. "At least", she thought, "we're probably alive. I can still remember the flight in, and stepping on the train to end up here." He had mentioned something about the "month of Revolvis" - she filed that away as another thing to ask about, later on, and she wondered how Aedan felt about a bunch of strange people in his house, asking strange questions.

24. - Top - End - #324

Aedan gets up from the chair, with the bottle still in hands, and goes to the door, which he opens a little to peer outside. He gives another sup on the liquid and then turn to Adrian.

"Yeah... Never saw one, but I heard of them, the nic'Epona, Daughters of the godess Epona, beautiful and intelligent mares that have rainbow colored fur... you are probably lucky for having seen one." He then goes to his bed, but still talking to you all, now addressing more Jacob. "Yes, that's the kind of thing they can do... more the druids than the proper priests, as those last were more interested on the things of the temples. Druids are men and women that lives their lives being part of the nature itself. They talk to the trees and the animals, being interested on the well-being of the forests and the wildernesses in general. The more powerful of them could even take form of an animal or enter into a tree and get out of another one somewhere else on the same forest. They are a wise lot, and can help the travelers, if one is respectful to the land he crosses."

He had a litle burst of excitment talking about all those things, and whatever he was drinking, it had a great effect on his appearance and demeanor. From a hangover-y half-sleeping man, he became a fully awoken and merry man, all signs of last night's party completely begone from him, apart some stains of dirt and mead on his clothes.

25. - Top - End - #325

Suzume smiles.

"Thanks very much for being patient with us and filling us in on all this. It sounds like this place is very, very different from where we all came from. You're saving us a lot of trouble figuring out how this all works.

You said that the druids could do things that were a little different from the 'proper priests'. What about them? What can they do?"

Once she gets an answer to this question, she frowns and gestures to Aedan's sword.

"What is it that you carry a sword for, anyway? Is it just self-defense against wild animals, or is there something else that's dangerous around here that a group of confused travelers like us need to watch out for?

26. - Top - End - #326

Flumph

Adrian is smitten by Aedan's reply. He was expecting the man not to know, or to invent something with difficulties (as a madman trying to adapt to someone else's madness). But he responds so quickly and so reassured that Adrian is starting to believe it. Can there be such thing as violet horses? And if so, are there also those "druids" and "priests"?

I... guess I'm lucky, yes, is all he manages to mumble.

"Thanks very much for being patient with us and filling us in on all this. It sounds like this place is very, very different from where we all came from. You're saving us a lot of trouble figuring out how this all works.
    Adrian nods at that. Yes, thank you so much. This place is... well, different would be an understatement.

Paying attention to the conversation (and particularly interested in what Aedan has to say about the "dangers", Adrian manages to get some towell and starts drying his hair and face. He'll probably also get himself a towell and put his clothes to dry, because he has only one more T-shirt and no trousers. I am really unprepared for this weather, he thinks. If Aedan offers him some clothes, he'll gladly take them, though he'd not date ask for more than a towell/blanket.

He'll eventually be interested in hearing a bit more about the beliefs of Aedan, if only because the whole "I know your horse" issue has made him a bit less reticent. He still thinks Aedan is probably mad, but he may think that there's some to his madness. And they apparently are in a place with violet horses, so... Adrian lets the others ask about priests and druids and how they do "magic" and listens attentively, although unable to contain a smirk.

If Aedan starts giving sword classes, Adrian may join in for the sake of killing time, even though he would no propose it himself.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Edited to add a bit more of "what he'll do" so the action can advance faster.
    Last edited by Don nadie; 2016-02-16 at 07:12 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

- Okay, okay, let me get this right. You are suggesting that there is such thing as magic, druids, priests and gods. You are claiming that you are immortal. Can you prove that? Do you know magic? Can you cast a magic spell? Please? - Stanisław wanted to get his provement of magic, since Aedan was claiming that it is a "fact".

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

28. - Top - End - #328

Aedan walks away from the now closed door, all the way to his bed, where he seats. He is listening to you all with an incredulous air, staring especially to Stanislaw, as if you were saying that grass were blue. He looks more amused than angry or arrogant, and speaks in a friendly and very teachy tone.

"How is that, that you don't know about magic and priests? Magic is the essence of all things and beings, it's what makes the day and the night, the crops and the animals. It perpass all living things, and all the sentient races managed to master it someway... even the stubborn dwarves have their powerful runic enchantments. And then there are the dragons, the most ancient people. They are as old and wise as they are powerful and dangerous. Some even say that it was them that firstly discovered how to use the magic and shape it into spells and cantrips. Even the language in which all magic is based today is called "draconic". But unfortunately I can't give you more informations about it than that, as I'm not a magic user myself. To know more about it you should ask an arcanist on Cromlech... or even go to that Sigil city, which is said to be the point of encounter of every kind of beings that exist in the multiverse. But I don't know how to get there, yet I'm sure there are caravans coming and going to and from that place in Cromlech. Other place to know more about everything is in the realm of Oghma... Is his god known to you? He is the god of knowledge and a friend of the Dhaghda. His realm is next to ours, but on the other side of it. We would have to cross the entire Mag Mell to reach that place. And I can only go to the border, because as a petitioner I'm not allowed to get out of the realm."

"In all that, we have a difference between that manipulative magic, called 'arcane' and the 'divine' magic of priests and druids. Priests are the preachers of the words of their gods. their magic is powerful, because it is given by a god himself, but limited to the wishes of the god he serves. That way, the priest of Arawn, god of death, does necromantic magics, while a priest of the Dhaghda focus on fertility. But every priest have access to the magics of cure and ressurrection. That is something granted only by the gods, and closed to the arcane mages. On the other hand, the druids grab their magic from the Nature itself. They are attuned to the lands, plants and animals, and focused on mantaining the balance and health of natural places, and making sure the civilizated people don't destroy them." He turns to Jacob and asks "You asked about someone giving orders to animals... have you seen that since you came to Mag Mell?"

"About the sword... it was a gift I recieved from a fair lady, and it's my defence here on this woods. The wilderness are wilderness, after all. The balance of nature includes it's share of big predators. And also there are guys from other realms that come here to cause havoc. From simple bandits to the eventual fiend. I know that I was a tutor of a prince of an important kingdom on my mortal life, and I know something of swordwielding. And scholarships. But I'm still more of a scholar than a warrior, after all."
    Last edited by lenon3579; 2016-02-16 at 06:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lenon3579 View Post
    He turns to Jacob and asks "You asked about someone giving orders to animals... have you seen that since you came to Mag Mell?"
    "A guy crept up behind me while I was huntin.' I was distracted by a deer, but I don' know if I'd'a seen him anyway. I started to get weirded out that the deer wasn' afraid of me, and decided to find somethin' else to eat. Then the... druid?... showed up, said that the Dhaghda's gifts belong to everyone, and told the deer to run so the hunt'd be fair."

30. - Top - End - #330

Suzume's head is spinning. What she's hearing is wrong in about thirteen different ways. Not only is she somewhere else, but she's somewhere so fundamentally different than her home that the very laws of the universe are radically different.

The stunned girl lapses into silence, sitting down heavily on a nearby chair and putting her head in her hands. She stares at her fingers. Are they even made of atoms any more? How could she tell?

It all sounds completely alien. Except, from a certain cracked perspective, it's all disturbingly familiar...

Damn it, this is a genre. Like Sengoku Jieitai, or InuYasha. 'Everyman inexpicably travels to fantasy world, hijinks ensue.' Are we the victim of some weird god that reads too much manga?
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2016-02-16 at 11:22 PM.