New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VI

Elsa cautiously approached the raven, unstrapping from her backpack the small wicker cage she had brought in case she found an animal small enough to fit inside. As she got nearer, the raven paused from its meal and shot her what must have been a defiant glare, spreading its wings and ruffling its feathers. It was almost comical to see; no matter how big it tried to make itself look, Elsa was still large enough to crush it underfoot. Still, the wizard could admire its spirit; it just would not let go of its meal.

Elsa's hand darted forward - not for the raven, but for the dead toad. The raven pecked at her gloved fingers, cawing in outrage, but could not stop her from getting its meal away and throwing it inside the open cage.

"Hey. Want your meal back? Get in."

She held the cage wide open for the raven. The bird stopped cawing and cocked its head to one side. It did not move from where it stood. Clearly, it was clever enough to sense a trap.

"Oooh, think you're so smart, eh? Fine. Be that way. Your toad is mine."

She strapped the cage on her backpack again and started to walk away. Mere moments later she heard a flutter of wings right behind her, followed by a tiny but noticeable shift in the weight of her backpack; the raven was on her. She craned her neck slowly and saw it pecking at the dead toad between the bars of the cage, not venturing through the wide open door that only waited to trap it.

Oh, is that how it's going to be?

Careful to avoid jerking motions that might alarm the raven, Elsa slowly opened her backpack - it was awkward to do while still wearing the backpack - and removed her now thoroughly sodden blanket. Then, in a sudden burst of movement, she took her backpack off her shoulders, sending it to the muddy ground, and lunged at the raven with the blanket; managing to catch it as it tried to fly away. She then crammed the blanket and its flailing prisoner inside the cage and shut the door.

"Yes!"

For a moment she feared the raven might asphyxiate, but it quickly managed to fight its way out of the blanket, shrieking indignantly at her.

"Stop that. You should be grateful. I'm offering you a higher purpose."

The raven shat on the blanket now lining its cage.

"Ugh. You did that on purpose, didn't you?"

Grimly satisfied, Elsa retraced her steps in search of her runaway horse. Sigmar's sake, she thought, that horse was supposed to be less cowardly than the others.

Two hours later, a soaked pyromancer rode into Painford with a caged raven in her hand and a triumphant grin on her face.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-25 at 09:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

In the hostel a tired Adelbert rubbed his eyes and reached for his quill once more...

Excerpt:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ACT II. Scene I

A battlefield near Caerfort. BERNHARD, FRITZ and LUTHER are sitting around a campfire, faces weary. Enter a SOLDIER, wearing the tabbard of Mannan's Keep.

SOLDIER
    My lord the foe are near- their numbers darken the horizon!

FRITZ
    We must send word for aid.

LUTHER
    To the Tilean?

FRITZ
    Even he!

LUTHER
    You mock us Fritz! Mannan's host need no help against the greenskin.

FRITZ
    I question not our worth Sir Luther-

LUTHER
    You question our courage?

FRITZ
    Nor courage, nor faith, nor skill. Numbers alone are against us and even Mannan would not have us ride against the tide!

LUTHER stands, his face ablaze with fury, his hand moving to his hilt. BERNHARD stands, glowering.

BERNHARD
    Knave! You forget yourself! Stand down Sir Luther.

LUTHER does so. BERNHARD turns on FRITZ.

BERNHARD
    You would share our glory with the Tilean?

FRITZ
    I would have his cleverness, his skill, his sword with us. He-

BERNHARD
    Never! A thousand times never! The Prince Matthau send his knights to slay the Orcish king and by sword and lance he shall be slain. Let us have no more talk of the Tilean and his men! Ready the horses, ready the soldiers! By Mannan and the Commander the day shall be ours!

Exit BERNHARD, LUTHER, SOLDIER. FRITZ draws his sword, studying it, his face grim.

FRITZ
    A strong blade and a strong hand to wield it... yet but for a score of Sforza's soldiers at our side! There is naught an Orc born who can outhink or outfight a Tilean! Well, so be it. To battle for the Commander and Mannan. To glory.

Exit FRITZ. In the distance the sound of trumpets and drums...
    Last edited by RossN; 2016-02-25 at 07:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa in Painford!

Dripping from the rain, Elsa made her way to Painford hostel, carrying a wicker cage that contained an equally soggy (and quite noisy) raven. Without a word of explanation to the annoyed or puzzled patrons, she sat down, ordered an ale, and looked around to see if any of her friends were here. Although obviously exhausted and shivering from the cold, she seemed in surprisingly good spirits.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-25 at 09:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard was busy overseeing work on the barracks when he spied Elsa out of the corner of his eye. At first he thought that it couldn't be her, but looking like she did, Elsa was rather difficult to mistake for someone else.

"Elsa, why are you-? Did Captain Sforza send you?" He asked. "What's with the bird?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-25 at 09:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

"A good day to you too." Elsa grinned. "I was in the area looking for a suitable familiar. I found one. Finally." She tapped the cage affectionately. The raven tried to peck her. "I'm thinking of calling him Morrslieb."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Familiar?" Sieghard asked. He cocked his head and bent down to look into the cage. "Little guy doesn't look like he's made out of brass."

He poked his finger into the cage only for the irritated bird to peck at his hand. "Keep that up and you'll end up in a pot," he said, scowling at the raven.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-25 at 09:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

"There are many types of familiars," said Elsa, shrugging. "Magister Heneker had one that looked exactly like a small child, except it was mute, and its eyes were pitch-black. Gave me the creeps."

"So how are things over here?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Going much faster," Sieghard replied. "Without the ghouls slowing them, my men are actually able to get some work done. And with Makeda spending most of her time watching them in Ravenskird, it feels like I've got more freedom too. Probably would've finished a month ago if it had been that way from the start."

"Adelbert is staying here now too," he continued. "If Sforza wasn't keeping you stuck in Manaan's Keep, it would almost be like old times."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

"Sforza's not keeping me anywhere," said Elsa, sipping her ale. "I wonder just how useful I am to him."

She smiled thinly. "You mention the old times. You know, I look back on the horrors we faced... Kheneb-Ptra-Urush, the battle of Manann's Keep, the Lost Library, and so on... and I almost miss them. I have nostalgia for all the times I thought I was going to die."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard gave her a look as though he thought she was mad, but resisted the urge comment about just how little he missed being chased by armies of the dead or hunted by daemons. The battle was different - At least the orcs were a natural foe, and he had emerged from that a hero.

"Ludo has been talking about trying to get Father Heironymus out of Savonne," he said, changing the subject. "Perhaps it's Adelbert's influence, but he thinks the old priest may be able to help with the book."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa's ears perked up. "That would be helpful."

Ever since Beatrix's death by her fault, she felt as if there was too much weight on her shoulders. She was but a half-trained wizard, yet she was the only one around, and she had no one to turn to for advice on all things arcane. So much seemed to depend on her questionable judgment and limited knowledge, such as what to do with the single most dangerous thing in the Broken Reaches. Bringing Hieronymus into the loop would reassure her. He was no true wizard like her, but surely he knew things that she did not. Elsa trusted the church of Verena.

"As for myself, I need to keep busy this winter, or I'll start drinking again." Obviously Elsa did not consider her current ale as drinking. "I'll see if Sforza has anything for me. Maybe just some kind of routine diplomatic mission that I can join to make it look official..." She pursed her lips. "If not, I guess I'll delve into research again." She did not relish that prospect. She was not an intellectual person; she needed action.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-25 at 11:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"That would be helpful."

"If he still lives," Sieghard replied in a tone that suggested he considered it less than likely. "Take Ludo with you when you return to Manaan's Keep," he suggested. "He thinks he can convince the captain that fetching the priest would be wise. With your help, he might even be able to."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

"I will," said Elsa. She wondered if some kind of diplomatic visit to Savonne could be arranged. That would be the only way she would feel safe in that city these days; if she tried to go incognito and was recognized, there was no telling how Alvarr might react.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #284

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

At this moment Adelbert stepped out of the hostel. He looked at Elsa in astonishment for a moment, then stepped over to her a smile on his face.

"It is good to see you my friend. The raven is new." He raised an eyebrow. "Don't tell me you have found religion? Or has religion found you?"

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa gave Adelbert a puzzled frown. "What in the world makes you think I found religion?"

She grinned. "Nice to see you. What have you been up to? Me, I found myself a familiar. Well, a future familiar. Still need to bind it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #286

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

"The bird. Ravens are sacred to Morr and I thought...," he smiled. "Well never mind. The gods work in mysterious ways so they say. What his name or her name?"

At Elsa's second question he smiled ruefully and handed her a sheet of parchment he'd been carrying in his hand. "With Viggo's help I am composing a play about the battle against the greenskins. If the Tilean likes it I may be able to show my face in Mannan's Keep again. Which reminds me, did Irene care for her gift?"

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

"A play?" Ludo asked. "That's a good idea. Let it be known what really happened at the battle. Viggo could play himself."

18. - Top - End - #288

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Adelbert made a face. "Unfortunately I can be only so accurate about events if it is to please it's intended audience. I won't lie but there might be omissions. As it is I am taking refuge in praising the Tilean's ability and cleverness... and hoping no one notices I've been silent on his character."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

"What his name or her name?"

Elsa grinned impishly. "I'm thinking Morrslieb," she said, knowing that Adelbert - and many others - would hate it. "Unless you have a better idea. Like maybe... Cacophrax? I don't know if the bird's a he or a she, so until then, it's an it."

"Which reminds me, did Irene care for her gift?"

"'Fraid not," admitted Elsa, her tone suggesting she had not been expecting much. "She wondered aloud if it was cursed, or something. She took it and dismissed me."

She seemed very interested about Adelbert's latest project. "I haven't seen a play since I left Altdorf," she said, a glimmer in her eyes. "Back then, I used to sneak out of the College to see late-night plays."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo seemed disappointed by Adelbert's little speech. "You're writing it to tell everyone how great he is."

21. - Top - End - #291

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

"I'm thinking Morrslieb. Unless you have a better idea. Like maybe... Cacophrax? I don't know if the bird's a he or a she, so until then, it's an it."

Adelbert's eyes widened at Elsa's choice of name. "Well... it is not what I would have chosen, but then I would have gone for an owl. As for other... beaked friend, perhaps best not to mention him aloud."

"'Fraid not. She wondered aloud if it was cursed, or something. She took it and dismissed me."

Adelbert looked disappointed. "Ah, well it was perhaps too much to hope for. Not a great omen for this play of course."

"I haven't seen a play since I left Altdorf. Back then, I used to sneak out of the College to see late-night plays."

Adelbert looked a little cheered at this. "Did you see the great Detlef Sierck?" He lowered his voice confidentially. "I have heard he was involved with a vampiress. Well what I'm writing won't be in that league but you can read through it if you like. I have a draft written in the hostel..."

Adelbert paled at Ludo's remark. He did not reply at once, but looked guilty and unhappy. "Not quite... but I admit I am not so proud of what I am writing."

Play:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I posted an excerpt a little upthread which should give you a feel for for the style.

The first two acts are mostly about the melancholy madness of Matthau Evatt (who Adelbert depicts as a King Lear type figure) and the heroic but doomed efforts of his knights to deal with the Orcish threat.

The gods appear, walking across the battlefield at Caerfort with Myrmidia stressing the abilities of the Tilean and his soldiers and agreement that he and his will strike down the Orc.

The third act sees Evatt besieged and Sforza marshal his forces to march against the Orc, leading to the big battle scene in the fourth act which Elsa witnessed first hand in real life.

It is actually more about Evatt's tragic fall really with Sforza the great warrior and general the old man was too stubborn to ask for help.
    Last edited by RossN; 2016-02-26 at 11:32 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Adelbert's eyes widened at Elsa's choice of name. "Well... it is not what I would have chosen, but then I would have gone for an owl. As for other... beaked friend, perhaps best not to mention him aloud."
    Elsa laughed, and lowered her voice. "Yeah, I wanted my raven's name to tempt fate... but it's probably unwise to do that when dealing with the Architect of Fate himself."

"Did you see the great Detlef Sierck?"
    "A few times," said Elsa, nodding, "until I met another theater-loving magister who knew I wasn't allowed outside at that time of the night. Had to scrub floors for two weeks. After that, I mostly went to street shows by nobodies and up-and-comers. Smaller chance of meeting someone important. Some of the shows were actually good; I got to see the great actor Kurt Deissler before he was famous. Even became friends with him." Sadly, it turned out that Deissler's romantic interest did not lie in women. That seemed common among thespians.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-26 at 12:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #293

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

"Perhaps we should quit our current jobs and open a theatre in Savonne," Adelbert suggested (probably) jokingly.

"I'm also busy running the local chapel in case you need a blessing. Not many other Verenans around so I try to keep an open mind."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

"Not quite... but I admit I am not so proud of what I am writing."
    "Maybe you shouldn't be." Ludo said sourly, before returning to silence.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

"Yes. He should be. I mean we should be. Me and him... he and I that is." Viggo said in response to Ludo, he had been busily tuning his lute, the odd discordant twang sounding over the others conversation. "It will be a masterpiece, the nearest thing to proper culture these miserable bloody Reaches have ever seen no doubt!"

Raising an eyebrow at the soaked Elsa and tilting his head in the cages direction, Viggo smirked in the annoying way he had a habit of doing whenever he thought he was being particularly amusing. "I don't know who looks the more miserable, you or it? Between the two of you, you're almost an attempt at murder..." He stopped to wait for everybody's laughter and even played several light notes to punctuate his joke.

"Morrslieb... Morrslieb?! A bit bleak that isn't it?! What about Caw, It seems to like making enough off that sodding noise anyway?"

OOC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Playwright Tests: (not sure if Viggo can use the +10 Mimic for Storyteller in this instance?)

Gauge Audience:
    INT 31 - (1d100)[55]
    Re-roll - (1d100)[89]

Performer Storyteller:
    FEL 48 +10Mimic - (1d100)[5]
    Re-roll - (1d100)[78]

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

The following day, Elsa and Ludo set out for Manann's Keep. Riding behind Elsa on Bastard's back, Ludo carried Stoutheart in his pack, the little dog poking its head out of the flap to stare at Elsa's caged raven. Occasionally the two animals would break out into spontaneous shouting match, requiring Ludo to put a stop to Stoutheart's yapping before it startled the horse.

Marktag, 16th Brauzeit

The two of them arrived in Manann's Keep early on Marktag morning, having kept up a brisk pace from Painford. Stabling Bastard at the keep, Elsa went in search of the Captain.

Sforza was in the map room with Abdul, going over the paymaster's ledgers. Looking up as Elsa entered, he raised a quizzical eyebrow.

Signora,” he said, by way of greeting. His eyes dropped to Ludo. “You've brought a friend?”
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

27. - Top - End - #297

BlackDragon

Painford

While Ludo and Elsa were in Mannan's Keep and Sieghard was doing soldierly things, Adelbert continued to work with Viggo.

Adelbert & Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the evening after setting aside the play for the moment Adelbert looked around and noticed the chapel was otherwise empty. He cleared his throat and looked Viggo in the eyes.

"Viggo my friend... you noticed how hostile Ludo is to Sforza?" He paused, searching his friend's face before adding: "He shares my belief the Tilean struck a deal with the Orcs and provided them with weapons."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Bugbear in the Playground

Adelbert & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo had been pacing the length of the chapel, backwards and forwards, repeating a troublesome line over and again, it just doesn't sound right! when Adelbert spoke up.

"He shares my belief the Tilean struck a deal with the Orcs and provided them with weapons."
    Viggo's jaw hung slack and it took him a couple of attempts to voice anything other than a strained stutter, "How is.... What?!.. Does...." He had to wrap the side of his head with a knuckle to help himself continue, "Adelbert do you even know what you're saying?! If anybody else hears you saying that sort of.... mad as toads.... I thought this was all over with now? I mean granted, I knew Ludo wasn't keen on Sforza but... Adelbert why even make something like this up?! You could end up back in the stocks!" Viggo looked almost scandalised at the very thought of what Adelbert was suggesting. "I mean why are we even doing this play if...." Viggo seemed genuinely confused as he trailed off.
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2016-02-29 at 11:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lad View Post
    "I don't know who looks the more miserable, you or it? Between the two of you, you're almost an attempt at murder..."
    "It's a raven, not a crow," said Elsa dryly. "I don't know what they call a group of ravens."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the curious, it's an unkindness of ravens.

Collective nouns for groups of animals are one of my favorite aspects of the English language, as a non-native speaker. A crash of rhinos... A parliament of owls... A business of ferrets...

Marktag, 16th Brauzeit

"You've brought a friend?"

"Ludovic Stubbs. Fellow survivor of the Lost Library," said Elsa matter-of-factly, saluting.

She went straight to the point. "You're not going to like it, Captain, but I need to go to Savonne. Just a quick, incognito visit. Dangerous, I know. But there's a Verenan priest there who might be able to help me with the book situation. If you send just any messenger to fetch him, Father Heironymus might think it's merely about politics."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-29 at 11:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #300

BlackDragon

Adelbert & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    An expression of resignation or disappointment flooded across Adelbert's face. Clearly he'd been hoping for a different response. "Never mind Viggo. Look, forget I said anything... let's have another look at the play."