New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VI

Sieghard

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "Oooh, she's glamorous alright. So glamorous, she has no place in these harsh lands. She should go back to Tilea. She and I can agree on that, at least."
    "Oh, she's not that bad," Sieghard said, grinning. He immediately wished he had kept his mouth shut once Elsa began her rant.

"That might work," he said once he had heard Adelbert's suggestion. "If she doesn't rip the thing apart out of spite anyways." The thought bothered him. It was, afterall, likely the most valuable book they had taken out of the Lost Library with them and at the moment, money was a serious concern.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-15 at 12:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Elsa snorted. "You seem to think I care about her opinion of me." She paused to consider Adelbert's suggestion. "If I give her a gift, it'll be for the sake of appearances, not to 'rebuild bridges' that never even existed. Poor lady is so bored by all those wars, perhaps a book of poetry is what she needs."
    Adelbert looked rueful. "If I thought it would rebuild some of the bridges I'd burned I'd give it to her myself. As it is at least you can still keep up appearances."

After raising an eyebrow at Sieghard's defence of Irene he shrugged. Pain flashed across his face. "Well it can wait til after I see a surgeon."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard Etc, Earlier
    Spoiler
    Show
    Several expressions flashed across Ludo's face - shock, guilt, horror. "They didn't - they wouldn't - their own Beatrix - or was it one of the thorns?"

"Did you stop them?"

"Is it really wise to give out a book from the Library?" Ludo asked. "I know we checked if there was anything wrong, but..."

4. - Top - End - #94

BlackDragon

Adelbert

"It is not a tome on sorcery, just a volume that the librarians had along with other works of literature. I'll try reading it again tonight if it will set your mind at rest - after the surgeon."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard + Ludo (+ Viggo?)

Spoiler
    Show
    "It was Fischwillen," Sieghard said. "Of course I ****ing stopped him. And because I did, that Thorns lost two months pay."

Everyone Together

Sieghard nodded. "It'd take a lot more than a book if you wanted to make peace with the captain. You must've learned something about the siege since you've been out here... If you could tell him something useful..."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-15 at 09:30 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

"Book seemed safe enough to me," said Elsa, who knew the Captain might react poorly if his wife was struck blind upon reading the book. "I can look at it with my wizard senses to put your mind at peace." Truth to be told, she wished more books they brought back from the Library had been magical or otherwise dangerous.

"Now let's see about a surgeon. It doesn't look too bad... I'd go to one of Bianco's apprentices, or perhaps the local healer."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-15 at 01:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sieghard, Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo's initial greeting was much warmer than Sieghard's he bent low and clasped Ludo's hand, shaking it warmly. To Ludo's keen eye's though, Viggo seemed different, a hardness around the eyes and a firm set to his jaw somehow served to make the boy appear older, he even looked a little taller.

"Take no note of him Ludo, he's grumpy about having to fork out the men's pay out of his own pocket is all." Viggo's lips twisted sourly, "He's had me marching along with the men all day too, taken Magnus off me to drag Filomena about again he has." A dark pall seemed to descend over the boys features when the attack on Ravenskird was brought up. "Painford was hit too." He said sounding almost morose, expression tightening even more if possible as he straightened and fell back into step next to Sieghard.

Viggo would have been lying if he said he was happy to be back in Ravenskird, the bloody place has been nothing but a stinking load of trouble, but if truth were told he was just glad to be away from Painford. Under Sieghard's stern eye Viggo had been directing the setting up of their camp when the message came that Adelbert had arrived. When they arrived at the shrine Viggo gave Adelbert a sympathetic glance and a firm handshake.

"I... I'm sorry about your girl my friend."
    Viggo's eyes hardened at that though he nodded at the Priest, "It was that wolf changing bitch you told us of last you were here." Viggo seemed not to care that they were in a shrine, "I've vowed to flay her and use her bloody pelt.... as I see fit" Viggo's voice seemed very unusual, harsh and strident.

With all the talk of getting a healer for Adelbert but nobody seemingly in a hurry to actually go and fetch one Viggo sighed heavily and left for the camp in search of Paulo or Marko.

OOC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

And I'll take the day as a chance to try and train Magnus again if that's ok. Pulling a cannon cart and marching soldiers seems as good an opportunity as any?

Animal Training Test:
    INT 31 -(1d100)[50]
    Re-Roll - (1d100)[94]

EDIT: Dam you horse!!!
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2016-02-15 at 11:08 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lad View Post
    Viggo's eyes hardened at that though he nodded at the Priest, "It was that wolf changing bitch you told us of last you were here." Viggo seemed not to care that they were in a shrine, "I've vowed to flay her and use her bloody pelt.... as I see fit" Viggo's voice seemed very unusual, harsh and strident.
    Adelbert looked troubled by that mark, even upset, but he did not comment on that. Instead he said symapthetically: "I shall say a prayer at the shrine for her and ask Brother Cesar to do likewise."

9. - Top - End - #99

Viggo Hirtzel

That seemed to reassure Viggo somewhat and when he spoke his tone was much more mild mannered, "Thank you Adelbert. I would appreciate that."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Viggo's angry vow made Elsa wince, not so much for the colorful threat as for the use of the word bitch. Still, the bard's anger was understandable. As for herself, part of her deeply regretted that fate had put her and Kelda on opposite sides of the war; though she had met the Norscan wolf-woman only once, she viewed her as a kindred spirit.

Except for the civilian-murdering thing.

If I'd taken her up on her offer to serve the Jarl, would I be burning villages and killing peasants as we speak?

"I shall say a prayer at the shrine for her and ask Brother Cesar to do likewise."
    "Oooh, a prayer. That's... very considerate of you." Elsa's voice dripped with contempt. "Meanwhile, Savonne needs our help, not our prayers. As Sieghard is saying, maybe there's something you can tell us about the siege."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-15 at 11:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

11. - Top - End - #101

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert looked a bit shocked at Elsa's attitude and he took a moment to reply. "I have not gotten in the town so I can't tell you much and, honestly, why should I even I did know more? I don't work for the Tilean, in case you have forgotten."

He was starting to look angry now, though whether at Elsa's sheer rudeness or at the nature of her request wasn't clear.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Seeking out one of the apprentice surgeons, Adelbert secured some bandages for his wounds. Binding them as best he could, he headed for the chapel, taking advantage of the hospitality of Brother Cesar until morning.

Festag, 15th Erntzeit

Dawn broke grey and diffuse on the morning of the fifteenth, slightly spoiling the effect of the army drawn up on the flood plain north of Ravenskird. Soldiers stood in tight formations, colourful banners hanging limply in the cool air as behind them the members of the baggage train made ready to break camp.

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa found the Captain consulting with his officers, already mounted up and standing ahead of the line. They were debating continuing the march north, to intercept Alvarr before he reached Ravenskird. That must have been what Sforza meant by “keeping him on his toes”.

<Makeda got something out of Groz's spy,> Valdes told her to bring her up to speed. <Seems like they caught one of the boats that was running supplies into Savonne. Now Groz and Alvarr have a team of dwarfs digging up the riverbank north of here.> He looked to where Sforza was watching the assembling troops. <Captain thinks they're up to no good.>

Sieghard was standing with the assembled Thorns, waiting for the order to march, when the shout went up of riders on the road. Soon, he and Viggo could see them too – a small group, carrying a dark blue banner before them. Sieghard didn't have to see it clearly to guess what it showed – the boar's-head heraldry of Edouard Alvarr.

Seeing the banner approaching, Sforza looked almost disappointed. <He does it just to spite me, you know?> Elsa heard the Captain mutter to his wife, who had just then deigned to join them. <Him and his bloody pigs.>

Irene said nothing, merely arching an eyebrow and watching the horsemen come nearer. Having quite abandoned the compassionate show she'd put on in Painford, Irene had refused point-blank to set foot in Ravenskird, calling it a “disgusting place” - since their arrival, this was the first time Elsa had seen her outside the Captain's tent.

~

The two princes met about a hundred yards in front of the assembled army. Much to Elsa's surprise, Irene didn't stay put with the rest of the officers, but rode up to meet the Duke beside her husband. Sforza didn't look in the least bit surprised – somehow, Irene's presence appeared to be part of his plan. Horses flicking their ears at each other, the three nobles faced off under the pale grey sky.

Alvarr was the first to speak.

“Captain Sforza,” he said, with a grudging inclination of his head.

“Edouard,” said Sforza. “I was expecting more of you. Where are Rorik and the Count?”

“They have a siege to maintain,” said Alvarr. “I speak for all of us.”

“Good,” said Sforza. Reaching to his waist, he produced the roll of parchment Rahim had brought back. “We received your message. Very brief.” Looking back up at the Duke, he gave him a challenging look. “Now we are here, and we will hear your explanation.”

“There is nothing to explain,” replied Alvarr, rigidly. “Apart from why you see fit to march your sellswords onto my territory.”

“His territory?” asked Irene, butting in for the first time. She looked across to Sforza, as if Alvarr wasn't there. “Muzio, darling, I thought it was the elf's.”

“I thought so too,” said Sforza, with an insolent shrug. “Still, the question remains. Why did your men set fire to my village?”

“They are not my men.”

Sforza waved a hand, swatting irritating details like gnats. “Your ally's men.”

“They are not my allies' men either,” Alvarr persisted, as stubborn as a rock.

“You call me a liar.”

“I say nothing of the sort,” said the Duke. “You know full well our army has suffered losses to desertion, as well as on the walls. The country around Savonne is rife with bandits.” He paused, watching the Captain's face. “We cannot be held responsible for the actions of every band of ruffians in the Downlands.”

Sforza rode his horse a few paces closer. “Deserters?” he said, disbelievingly. “You expect me to believe this? My men will swear they saw Jarl Rorik's men leading the attack.”

“Perhaps they did. Rorik has lost men too,” said Alvarr.

“These men attacked a fortified village, defended by my own soldiers. You think bandits would take such risks?”

“To steal your weapons and supplies, perhaps,” said Alvarr, imperturbable. “I cannot speak for their motivations. All I can say is that I did not give any such order.” He looked Sforza straight in the eye. “I give you my word.”

Sforza hesitated, seemingly on the back foot. Before he could come up with a reply, Alvarr spoke again. “I could equally well ask you, Captain,” he said, “why food and supplies from Mirino are being smuggled into Savonne, despite our blockade.”

“Why your Grace,” said Irene, intervening on her husband's behalf. “We have no idea of what you speak. It's true, we have enough crops to sell some on, but - “ she put on a look of calculated innocence - “Muzio can hardly be held responsible for the actions of every band of smugglers in the Downlands.”

Now it was Alvarr's turn to be thrown off balance. He looked at Irene with a mixture of surprise and displeasure. “You bring your wife into battle with you now, Sforza?” he said to the Captain.

“Oh, is there going to be a battle?” asked Irene, brightly. She looked around. “You don't seem to have brought an army. Muzio has,” she added helpfully. “They're over there.”

Sforza played along with her pantomime and looked round as if noticing his men for the first time, enjoying his rival's discomfort. Alvarr held silence, still glowering at Irene. Her words seemed to have shaken his icy composure.

“I don't know much about battles,” she blithely continued. “I've only seen one or two, you know? But Muzio always wins, don't you Muzio.”

“I have no wish for war with you, Sforza,” Alvarr said, cutting her off. “Neither do my allies. Withdraw your troops, and we can discuss this further in private.”

“Or we could discuss it now,” interjected Irene again. She leaned back, twisting round in the saddle to point daintily back towards the army. “With the troops still here. In case we need them.” She flashed Alvarr a bright smile.

“Will you be quiet?” snapped the Duke, his voice rising to a sudden roar. “I will not be spoken to in this way by a woman!”

The silence that fell was deafening. Looking around to see who was watching, Sforza at last spoke.

“I am of a mind to agree with my wife,” he said, quietly. “We settle this here.” Alvarr glared at him, but it achieved nothing.

“Here are our terms,” said Irene, lifting her chin and looking down her nose at the duke. “You cede Ravenskird to us. You lift your blockade on the Azril and allow free trade to Putbad and Alvarran, by river and road. You pay us a bounty of fifty crowns for every one of Muzio's subjects who was killed or injured in the raid.”

“These terms are ridicul-”

“Not done,” said Irene, sweetly. She was counting the terms off on her fingers. “And, you personally will find the... deserters... who attacked Painford, and bring us their heads.”

Alvarr looked to Sforza, his face dark with suppressed anger.

“These are your terms?” he said.

Sforza nodded.

“Those are my terms.”

A tense silence followed.

“Twenty crowns a head,” said Alvarr. “To be repaid when the culprits are caught. And your troops return to Painford.”

“Forty,” said Sforza. “And we keep the money. There are grieving orphans and widows to support,” he added with a smile. "But we will return your spy, free of charge."

Looking back, he waved imperiously to Makeda. The ranks of the ahosi parted, and the man they had caught was dragged forwards. He was bruised and bloodied, but still seemed to be intact.

Adelbert Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert immediately recognised the unfortunate man as one of the two Ehrman had sent to scout out Painford. Of the other, there was no sign.

Alvarr looked at the man with quiet contempt.

“Twenty-five crowns,” he said.

“Forty.”

Another silence.

“Very well,” said Alvarr, through gritted teeth. “We have an agreement. You will have your blood money before the week is out.”

Sforza almost looked surprised – but reached out and shook the Duke's gloved hand. Without another word – but with an angry look at Irene – Alvarr turned his horse around and rode back to his men.

Irene laughed as she watched the horsemen help the liberated captive up into the saddle. <You were right,> Elsa heard her say to the Captain, as she and the other officers rode up beside them. <That was fun.>

Sforza said nothing, staring after the receding figures of the Duke and his men as they rode away. He looked almost puzzled.

<He agreed too easily,> he said, in a low voice. <He's up to something.>
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-15 at 02:31 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo couldn't hear Sforza's mutterings, or understand them, but he had come to a similar conclusion on his own. "Didn't you say one of the attackers was the shape-changer?" he asked Sieghard in a low voice. "She didn't seem the sort to desert... and I doubt we'll be seeing her head."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded. "Kelda was there, I'm sure of it," he said with a scowl.

He approached Captain Sforza "Alvarr lies," he said, watching the Duke leave. "The woman I told you about, Kelda, is one of Rorik's inner circle. The man who led the attack on the north wall was likely Rorik's second-in-command. Neither would have deserted. He has no intention to hand them over... it would end his alliance with the hill tribes if he did."

15. - Top - End - #105

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Trapped at the back with the camp followers Adelbert could do little but watch proceedings and only his excellent hearing (and knowledge of Tilean) kept him informed of events. His eyes widened at the peace terms and the unveiling of the 'spy'.

He did study Irene with a keen interest, this being the first chance he had to get much more than a glimpse of the famed beauty. He was still a distant observer but at least he had a chance to see her in action.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa stood in front of the ranks of the Iron Company, next to Commander Carraciolo. At first she was unsure why Sforza had brought his wife with him, but seeing her drive Alvarr angry, she began to understand: Irene was meant to annoy the Duke and hopefully make him less likely to accept the terms. When he accepted them anyway, outrageous as they were, Elsa reached the same conclusion as Sforza: something was up.

<"The Duke is stalling for time,"> she said quietly to Carraciolo, remembering what Valdes had told her this morning.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-15 at 05:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

He approached Captain Sforza "Alvarr lies," he said, watching the Duke leave. "The woman I told you about, Kelda, is one of Rorik's inner circle. The man who led the attack on the north wall was likely Rorik's second-in-command. Neither would have deserted. He has no intention to hand them over... it would end his alliance with the hill tribes if he did."
    "Of course he doesn't," said Sforza, dismissively. "You think I believe for one second that Painford was attacked by bandits?"

He trailed off, still gazing contemplatively north. "He gave his word," he said, after a long wait. "To him, that means something. I believe him when he says he did not give the order."

<Trouble in the camp?> said Valdes.

<Maybe...>

Looking round to Sieghard, Sforza jerked his chin back towards the lines. "Fetch the Halflings. Tell them I want them to scout north of here along the river. Let's see what the old dog is up to."

Without another word, he turned and spurred his horse back towards the camp. Looking round in alarm, Barbaro called out in Tilean:

<My lord! We promised to withdraw our troops from this village!>

<I didn't say when!> was Sforza's parting reply.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The army is going to remain in Ravenskird for a few days, while the halflings do their scouting and Sforza waits for Alvarr's payment to arrive. If you give me a generalised plan for your characters I think we can go through them fairly quickly.
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-15 at 06:47 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #108

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert slipped away the moment Sforza had left, moving quickly in the direction of Ravenskird village, a troubled look on his face.

LCP
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eep... okay Adelbert has to warn the Duke about those Halflings, which means creeping out of Ravenskird as discretely as possible, moving out of sight of the Tilean camp and heading towards the Duke's camp. So much for a rest...

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Taking a moment when Sieghard was distracted, Ludo jogged hurriedly after Adelbert.

Ludo and Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    "After all of that, I suspect that what little intelligence I have is going to be useless." he said, trotting along beside the scribe. "Where are you going? What really happened to you?"

20. - Top - End - #110

BlackDragon

Ludo and Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked relieved to see Ludo.

"I was with the Duke. We were right about the smugglers; there is a tunnel on the river to the north. The opening is below the waterline and thus invisible on land and the crew of the Lily and, I can only assume the Dragon were resupplying Savonne through that tunnel. With Groz's boats we captured the Lily and discovered it is an old smuggler route, known only to them. Apparently even the prince does not know of it. Even as we speak the northern dwarves are about to breach the tunnel. When that happens the Norscans will go through and Savonne will fall. But we need time."

He sighed and rubbed his beard. "We'll have send a letter to the Duke warning him about Sforza's halflings. If they discover the dwarves are working on the tunnel then I have no doubt Sforza will attack. He mustn't know how close the town is to falling."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa strode back to Sieghard and Viggo, her brow furrowed. "Keep the Thorns ready. War's not averted. Duke Alvarr is clearly planning something, and came here to stall."

She lowered her voice.

Elsa, Sieghard and Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Valdes told me that dwarfs have been seen digging near the bank of the river, north of here. Doubtful they're looking for gold."

"Looks like we're to stay here until we know more," she went on, resuming a normal volume. "If the Duke keeps his word, I swear I'll eat my boots with horseradish sauce."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    How about we start Sieghard's Tilean lessons? He won't learn a language in just a few days, so this doesn't force him to buy the Tilean language the next time he gets XP. We just need to start somewhere, and this is a good excuse for Elsa and Sieghard to spend time together.

Also, Viggo doesn't have Language (Tilean) on his sheet, so I take it he doesn't speak it either? How shameful, for a bard, to not even speak the language of the land where he plies his trade!

Apart from that, Elsa will stay on top of the news that circulate among the officer corps. She'll relay them to Sieghard, and only to Sieghard.

She'll also make sure Adelbert gets some rest and recovers well from his wound, which provides a nice IC excuse to keep an eye on him without acting on OOC knowledge of his true loyalties.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-15 at 07:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    "When the duke attacked Ravenskird I fled on the Dragon." Ludo said. "The crew are currently beached at Gilbertus's manse - the island where we fought the wicker man. I think they're planning to stay there in hiding for a while."

He paused. "Will the letter get there in time, though? I assume it's too late to catch up to the duke now."

23. - Top - End - #113

BlackDragon

Ludo and Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "We have to try," Adelbert insisted, expression tense. He took a deep breath. "I'll go back to the shrine and write a quick letter, can you see if you can find a messenger will to try it? I'll cover the costs if need be."

He moved quickly on, obviously desperate to write and send the note as quickly as possible.

Adelbert's letter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sforza suspects something. Halfling scouts will head North along river bank.
    -Your Friend

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard gave Elsa a flat look "Really, Alvarr is planning something?" he deadpanned.

Seeeeeeecrets...
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Dwarves?" he asked keeping his voice low, "The Dwimmulsons then. If they dug their way into the Dwimmulhold, Alvarr could get half his army inside the city before anyone was any wiser. The captain needs to know. Help me round up the halflings and then we'll tell him."

As they walked, he shared his theories about what Alvarr planned to do about the raiders who attacked Painford.

OOC stuff. Intentionally in nested spoilers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception for Elsa to notice Adelbert and Ludo slipping away. I'm giving myself a -20 penalty (which LCP can modify if he wants), because Elsa is at the front of the army and Adelbert is with the camp followers.
    Ditto for Sieghard. Test vs 36 -20 = 16
    (1d100)[40] (lolnope)

How about we start Sieghard's Tilean lessons? He won't learn a language in just a few days, so this doesn't force him to buy the Tilean language the next time he gets XP. We just need to start somewhere, and this is a good excuse for Elsa and Sieghard to spend time together.
    Sounds good to me. I'm not sure which test is most appropriate for this... Gossip? Search? Perception? But here's a roll to see if Sieghard can find a place he thinks that he and Elsa would be able to have some privacy for, among other things, Tilean lessons. I'll do an IC post with Sieghard asking about Elsa teaching him after we've rounded up the Gamecocks and told Sforza about the Dwimmulhold.
    (1d100)[98]
    (1d100)[34] - Reroll if needed. (Unless there's a negative modifier, that's a pass regardless of what test that is. The only stat Sieghard has below 34 is Fel and he has a +10 in gossip to compensate.)

Aside from that, Sieghard will focus on making sure his men (particularly the new recruits painford) are ready and learning what he can from the locals about Alvarr's recent actions.
    Gossip roll vs 39 for that last bit.
    (1d100)[72] (alsonope)
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-15 at 11:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, Sieghard and Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    "Right." Elsa nodded and followed Sieghard. "Kind of wish we had messenger pigeons. We could get a message to Savonne as well."

Perhaps her familiar, whenever she acquired one, could serve such a purpose in the future. Of course, she would likely not have the opportunity to resume this particular project until the war was over.

As they walked, he shared his theories about what Alvarr planned to do about the raiders who attacked Painford.
    "Might be what he'll do," Elsa agreed. "But you know that won't placate Sforza. And Alvarr knows it, too."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Elsa, Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    "Alvarr doesn't care about placating the captain," Sieghard replied, "Bastard doesn't care that his savages killed my men either. But if he goes through the motions, he can pretend he wasn't the one who started it when it comes to open fighting."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-16 at 12:13 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo nodded, and trotted back to the village in search of a messenger, preferably one with a horse.

OOC: Not sure how to do this so lets just do a Gossip test: (1d100)[30]

28. - Top - End - #118

Elsa, Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo trailed along behind his two officer friends, listening to the pair of them discuss their theories about Alvarrs' intentions. Although he'd been with the Thorns for a few months now, Viggo still couldn't get the hang of thinking tactically, he saw everything in terms of plain practicality instead. From the details he'd been able to discover so far it seemed that Sforza himself had arranged a practical solution to Viggo's own Kelda problem. I might miss out on the pelt, I suppose her head will just have to do.

"It doesn't matter if the Duke is lying or not really does it?" Viggo's eyebrows raised in query, "It's really about what he wants.... and he got that." He turned around and pointed to the army, "He wants to be able to finish his siege without our lot turning up to ruin his party. Our glorious Capitano has agreed to that... which most likely means we'll be gate crashing within the week." Viggo shrugged, "Sforza would have made an excellent bridge seller, just like Uncle Gofter." Looking northwards he continued, "As for the Dwarves, If they're digging by the riverbank isn't it more likely that they're working on some way of stopping boats and supplies getting into Savonne?"

As they set about rounding up the Gamecocks Viggo made sure to tell any of them who would listen that they should definitely find out what the Dwarves were up to and to keep a keen eye out for wolves.

OOC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Plan for the next couple of days is, Viggo will search amongst the army for the best swordsman.. he wants to start taking his lessons to the next level, he'll do the same with fisticuffs training, so he's looking for the best scrapper too (discounting ogres!) I'll make gossip rolls to find and charm rolls to see if they'll take on his tutelage? Any of his spare time away from the Thorns will be engaged in this training if possible.

Swordsman Training:
    FEL 48
    Gossip +10Mastery - (1d100)[39]
    Charm - (1d100)[78]

Pugilism / Scrapping Training:
    FEL 48
    Gossip +10Mastery - (1d100)[52]
    Charm - (1d100)[89]

EDIT: Re-rolled 74 & 84?!?!? Like the dice gods were determined for me to fail them then!

Last edited by Northern Lad; 2016-02-16 at 07:22 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Roused out by Sieghard and Viggo, the Gamecocks were soon on their way, bows slung over their shoulders as they trooped off down the winding line of the river. Breaking formation, the rest of the army returned to the camp, there to wait on their Captain's orders. Here on the plain, the wind coming down off the Giant's Teeth carried a breath of frost; between the chill breeze and the grey sky, it was clear that autumn had arrived in earnest.

Helping get a campfire going with the Thorns - who were grumbling more than usual about the cold and their sore feet - Viggo watched as Sieghard and Elsa headed for the Captain's tent. His attention, however, was quickly diverted by a vision in green riding up beside him.

"Ah!" exclaimed Irene Sforza, setting eyes on Viggo. She extended a hand to let him help her down from the saddle. "Just the man I was looking for."

Elsa & Sieghard Speak with Sforza
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the command tent, Sforza listened to Elsa and Sieghard's suggestion with a skeptical expression.

"The dwarfs have been with Groz from the outset," said Sforza. "We know they already tried to undermine the wall, and they failed. Why would they try again so far from the city?" Unrolling a map on the camp table in the middle of the tent, he placed a finger on a bend in the river some way south of Savonne. "This is where Rahim says he saw them. That's where our guest said they were digging."

"Perhaps they are digging for buried treasure," suggested Barbaro, puzzling over the map. "To buy back the Storm Swords?"

<Perhaps they are digging for your brains,> replied Carraciolo, in jest. <You must have left them somewhere.>

Even Sforza had to struggle not to crack a smile. Shaking his head, he looked back to the map.

"We've gained much already. As long as we hold Ravenskird, we have access to the river. With the stores we have in Last Water, we could keep Savonne supplied well into winter. As long as the boatmen can still get it into the city." He looked to Valdes. "Where are they? Find them. I want to speak to the captains myself."

The Estalian saluted and exited the tent. Meanwhile, Carraciolo was scrutinising the map carefully himself.

"It could be a trap," he said. "Ravenskird is the only crossing between here and Savonne. We march north to stop Alvarr's diggings...” - he traced his finger up the line of the river - “...and Rorik and his savages come in behind to cut our line of retreat.” A pause. “We only have Alvarr's word that they're still at the city.”

Sforza furrowed his brow, clearly worried by his lieutenant's suspicions. "Rorik is too wounded to leave his tent." he said, by way of a counter-argument. "Our sources confirm this."

"Then he sends someone else." Carraciolo looked to Sieghard. "You said you saw Rorik's second in command at Painford?"

Viggo Speaks with the Other Sforza

Spoiler
    Show
    "I thought I recognised you before," said Irene, daintily stepping down so as to keep her skirts out of the churned mud of the camp. "You're that minstrel, aren't you? The one who played such splendid tunes at the Mitterfruhl festival." She treated him to a blinding smile. "You know, I had no idea you and commander Sieghard were such friends."

"Tell me," she said, guiding him largely by force of personality to somewhere where they could sit down. Wrapped up in her charismatic aura, Viggo hardly noticed the two Iron Company men who were standing just a little way away, making sure no harm came to the Captain's wife. "What do you and your men think of that witch my husband hired?" She waved a hand dismissively. "I mean, wizard. Whatever it is she insists on calling herself." Her laughter was an invitation for Viggo to laugh too. "You know she's so particular about that? I mean, it's so silly, isn't it? It's just a word. Anyway," she said, looking at him with wide, dark eyes, "I'm sure you must have some stories..."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Irene tests Charm vs. Viggo's loyalty to his friends. Her base target is 74; you decide the difficulty modifier . I'll put it in a nested spoiler so you can decide before seeing the roll.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[70].

Ludo & Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo didn't have much luck finding a messenger with a horse - but he could find one with a boat. Speaking to the owner of one of the small craft still remaining in the village, he got the letter on its way with the exchange of a few coins.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Base charge is 10s, but you might want to "tip" if you want to ensure the letter reaches its destination quickly and securely.
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-16 at 09:23 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "We've gained much already. As long as we hold Ravenskird, we have access to the river. With the stores we have in Last Water, we could keep Savonne supplied well into winter. As long as the boatmen can still get it into the city."
    "How do they even do it?" asked Elsa, frowning. "If you can smuggle goods into the city, you can smuggle people." The one thing that kept Savonne supplied might be the biggest weakness in its defenses.

On Carraciolo's suggestion of a trap, Elsa looked skeptical. "Alvarr's forces are spread out around a whole city. They're growing weaker each passing day. This is the worst possible time for them to start something stupid. Alvarr wants to buy time; he wants the walls of Savonne between us and him before war begins."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: