New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VI

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    "I know Sforza had Kheneb-Ptra-Urush sealed but if it is beyond us to destroy the thing, and we can't trust any living being with it, then perhaps Meskhenet...?"
    Elsa pursed her lips. "That could only happen behind Sforza's back. He was opposed to it."

"At the very least, your priest in Savonne could provide knowledge. Or even come here in person, if someone can convince him. I certainly won't be the one going to Savonne in these times; Alvarr and his dog both know my face."
    She gave Adelbert a sidelong glance, as if implying that this kind of task fell to him.

There was another possibility she did not voice: entrusting the book to the Colleges of Magic. Which would, of course, involve making contact with them again. She hoped it would not come to this.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-17 at 09:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert gave Sieghard a tired look. "It was in undead hands before we messed things up."

Turning back to Elsa he said: "I'd be very surprised if Father Heironymus yet lives, and if he does I doubt he'll want to see me." He lowered his voice. "At the time we were there I mentioned by sympathies were with the Duke over the Tilean in their rivalry. Obviously that was before the war and the siege, let alone the sack but I have no doubt he'll remember."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel

"Don't be ridiculous," said Elsa grimly, heading their way. "They outnumber us. No way we can lay siege on them. We'll have to wait for the coalition to fray; they've lost their purpose now, and they'll be fighting over the spoils."
    Elsa just about managed to catch the ghost of a smirk on Viggo's lips as she spoke and for some reason he seemed to be snickering under his breath to himself. Something had clearly amused him.

As the friends stood discussing the days events, Viggo couldn't help but wonder why they were all fretting about the Book so much, "Look, it's not even ours to worry about anymore, if it ever was. Why don't we just leave it with the Capitano for now? If folk start digging themselves out of their graves, then we should worry." Viggo pointed at the illuminated sky, "Until then, that's what we should be worrying about. Will Alvarr keep his word now that he holds Savonne and what will the Capitano do if doesn't?"

4. - Top - End - #154

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert let out a long sigh. "Yes, I think he will keep his word. Alvarr is a Bretonnian and his honour means everything. He might be brutal... very brutal... towards his foes but breaking his word would be inconceivable."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

"At the time we were there I mentioned by sympathies were with the Duke over the Tilean in their rivalry. Obviously that was before the war and the siege, let alone the sack but I have no doubt he'll remember."
    "The Duke?" said Elsa in disbelief. "You have every reason to hate Sforza, but still." She wondered why Adelbert would even discuss politics with a priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lad View Post
    "Look, it's not even ours to worry about anymore, if it ever was. Why don't we just leave it with the Capitano for now? If folk start digging themselves out of their graves, then we should worry."
    Elsa nodded. "That's what I think as well. I don't want to pretend the book doesn't exist, but the fact is, no one's made a move for it yet. If we take it out, we might have it stolen, or draw attention to it."

Adelbert let out a long sigh. "Yes, I think he will keep his word. Alvarr is a Bretonnian and his honour means everything. He might be brutal... very brutal... towards his foes but breaking his word would be inconceivable."
    "Hi there. Are you new in these parts?" said Elsa with dripping sarcasm.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-17 at 10:21 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Very inconvenient. Like burning an entire city and all the people in it," Sieghard deadpanned, gesturing towards the fires in the distance. "I'm sure he'll deliver Kelda's and the other Norscan's heads as well."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-17 at 10:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "The Duke?" said Elsa in disbelief. "You have every reason to hate Sforza, but still." She wondered why Adelbert would even discuss politics with a priest.
    "I had a better impression of the man," Adelbert said. He smiled without a trace of humour or happiness. "Believe it or not I thought Sforza the more likely to invade and that was the reason for his timetable."
    Elsa nodded. "That's what I think as well. I don't want to pretend the book doesn't exist, but the fact is, no one's made a move for it yet. If we take it out, we might have it stolen, or draw attention to it."
    "I suppose there is that," Adelbert conceded.

"Hi there. Are you new in these parts?" said Elsa with dripping sarcasm.
    "As charming as ever Fraulein Holt," Adelbert replied, narrowing his eyes. With obvious effort he tried not to get angry. "Have you given Irene the book of poems? I still think you should try and get back into her good graces. I know, I know I've never met her but still..."

Sieghard

"Very inconvenient. Like burning an entire city and all the people in it," Sieghard deadpanned, gesturing towards the fires in the distance. "I'm sure he'll deliver Kelda's and the other Norscan's heads as well."
    "Yes... I forgot about Kelda," Adelbert admitted, his face turning pale, his eyes suddenly dropping.

8. - Top - End - #158

Viggo Hirtzel

Shaking his head in disbelief Viggo mused out aloud, "That would be a madness surely? What point taking a city if you burn it down and kill everybody in it? Who would want to rule a city of ghosts?" That brought him almost full circle to Meskhenet, he shrugged uncomfortably.

"Yes... I forgot about Kelda,"
    "I haven't" Viggo virtually snarled. "Here's hoping she's caught a dose of fire herself."
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2016-02-17 at 10:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert flinched again, looking almost like he'd been struck when Viggo mentioned Kelda's name.

"Whatever else she did she saved my life Viggo. Here, in Ravenskird when Rorik sacked the town. I... I know what she is and I know what she's done but I can't forget she saved me."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

"Alvarr only agreed to the terms to buy time to dig the tunnel," said Elsa. "But now he's in a position of strength."

"Have you given Irene the book of poems? I still think you should try and get back into her good graces. I know, I know I've never met her but still..."
    "I'm waiting for an opportunity." Elsa did not sound too enthusiastic. "I can't just walk up to her and offer her a gift. Too suspicious. I need to do it at some kind of official thing, with people watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lad View Post
    "That would be a madness surely? What point taking a city if you burn it down and kill everybody in it? Who would want to rule a city of ghosts?"
    "Alvarr and Groz want to rule. The northmen are just there for the plunder and the women," said Elsa gloomily.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-17 at 10:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #161

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "I'm waiting for an opportunity." Elsa did not sound too enthusiastic. "I can't just walk up to her and offer her a gift. Too suspicious. I need to do it at some kind of official thing, with people watching."
    Adelbert looked disappointed. While he could hardly have hoped Elsa would give him credit, even as a scholar working for her, it seemed even less likely if Elsa was going to be producing the book in public.

12. - Top - End - #162

Viggo Hirtzel

A dangerous light entered Viggo's eye's and a stormy expression betrayed his thoughts as he stabbed a finger in Adelbert's direction, "Then stay out of my way Adelbert, because I promise you she will die. One way or the other and sooner or later, I will be the death of her. Your life does not buy my Kirsten's life, she was an innocent young girl and that dog deserves to be put down for what she did!"

13. - Top - End - #163

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert said nothing, just shook his head sadly and turned away.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

That night, Elsa heard the sounds of furious argument again between Sforza and his wife. Rolling over inside her own tent, she wrapped her blanket round her ears and tried to get to sleep.

Aubentag, 17th Erntzeit

The next morning, Sforza called a meeting of his officers in the command tent. Elsa wasn't sure whether it should be called a war council or not – she wasn't sure whether there was going to be a war.

Elsa & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Alvarr has not changed our plans,” said Sforza, addressing the assembled council. “Merely delayed them. We have gained ground; now we consolidate, and wait.” He tapped a finger on the inky blob that marked Savonne on his map. “He and his allies have taken the city; sooner or later they will each want it for themselves. They will fight like wolves in a pit.”

Carraciolo nodded along. <Only one kingin a castle,> he said, not bothering to speak Reikspiel for the benefit of Sieghard and Fischwillen. The ugly little sergeant looked singularly out of place at this gathering, but for some reason he was present too. Only Bianco and Irene were conspicuous by their absence.

“Winter will be here soon. When spring comes, we must be ready for war,” continued the Captain. “We will expand the militia and finish the fortifications at Painford. We will garrison Ravenskird and post scouts along the border.” He tapped the map again. “The crossing here is marshy and difficult. The Ravenskird garrison will construct a bridge fitting for the army to cross.”

He looked across to Al-Makir. “Abdul, you will send one of your men north from here, along the Giant's Teeth. He will carry this message.” He handed over a sealed roll of parchment. “It is an offer of employment for the Storm Swords. If they will join us they will have food, shelter and pay for the winter. If they make difficulties, you may tell them I will pay twice what anyone else offers.”

“For now, the army waits here – until Alvarr delivers on his end of our bargain.” Sforza looked around the table. “It is not likely, but if he plans to attack us, now is his only chance before the season ends. Our presence here will discourage him.” He nodded to the assembled officers. “You have your orders. You are dismissed.”

On the northern horizon, smoke still rose from the direction of Savonne in criss-crossing trails, made ragged and broken by the rising wind. It looked like the fires had died down, but the city was still smouldering.

When the officers left the Captain's tent, word began to spread among the men – the army was to remain here for the time being. How long exactly, no-one was sure.

The following days passed in relative idleness. Sieghard continued his lessons with Elsa, while Viggo continued bothering the Estalians for swordsmanship lessons. That was when he wasn't hanging around the Thorns' camp, trying to keep their spirits up with tunes and stories. He seemed to have quite a few new ones.

Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    On Marktag, when he deemed the song was ready, Viggo went eagerly in search of Irene for a first performance. Visions of court appointments and grand performances swimming in front of his eyes, he was disappointed when the guards in front of the captain's tent turned him away.

Protesting that she had invited him, Viggo was brusquely informed that the Captain's wife wasn't receiving visitors. Try as he might, he was rebuffed – spirits deflated, he shuffled off to try out the song on someone else.

His good humour was restored when the song went down extremely well among the men. Some of the halflings drifted over to hear, as well as some of Fischwillen's men, and soon the better part of the Reikspiel-speaking regiments were singing along. Whenever she heard it, Irene was definitely going to love it.

Meanwhile, Adelbert plied his trade as a healer back in the village. There were more than a few villagers who'd got on the wrong side of Jager and his men, and they were grateful for his help – though not able to pay in more than trinkets and pickled eels. By Backertag, Adelbert had eaten about as much pickled eel as he ever wanted to in his life.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert makes (3d3)[8] schillings from playing doctor & gets free food for the duration of his stay.

Bezahltag, 20th Ertnzeit

It was three days before the Duke's banner was sighted to the north again. A column of armed men, far larger than the small retinue of riders that Alvarr had arrived with before, came snaking south down the river road towards the camp.

<Form up!> barked Carraciolo, stalking through the camp with his armour already buckled on. <Battle formation! Quickly now, you dogs!>

Roused out of their tents by the shouts of their officers and the beating of drums, the army formed up in a double line on the plain north of the camp, banners flapping in the stiffening breeze. Alvarr's force came to a halt beside the river, just outside of crossbow range. Accompanied by their officers, the two warlords rode out to meet each other in the middle. This time there was no sign of Irene.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard's choice as to whether he joins the gang of officers following Sforza out to the meeting. I assume Elsa is definitely there.

“Captain Sforza,” said Alvarr. “You'll be pleased to know the city has fallen.”

Riding beside him was Jager, and a man Elsa had not seen before. In his early thirties, with handsome features and sandy-coloured hair, he wore a red tabard over a suit of mail, and sat in the saddle with an oddly cocky air about him. Behind them, mounted on shaggy mountain ponies, were a handful of Rorik's Norscans. Elsa spotted Kelda among them – and Sieghard immediately recognised the tangle of dark red hair that belonged to Hakon Blood-Song. Both were sporting recent wounds, no doubt sustained during the sack – but Sieghard had his suspicions about the old, bloodstained bandage wrapped around Hakon's upper leg.

“So I have seen,” was Sforza's reply. “And the elf?”

“In chains.”

“I wish you joy of your victory,” was the Captain's measured reply. Alvarr gave a nod.

“Your gold,” he said, producing a heavy brown bag and throwing it to the Captain. When Sforza caught it, it made an audible clink.

“And the raiders?”

“Rorik's men assure me they found the culprits,” said Alvarr. “They have been dealt with.”

Spurring his pony forwards, Hakon rode up beside the duke. He unhooked a darkly dripping sack from his saddle and threw it on the ground at the feet of Sforza's horse. Severed heads rolled out. Filthy with blood and grime, whoever they had been in life, they were nigh-unrecognisable.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Int test for Viggo please.

“We have kept our end of the bargain,” said Alvarr. “Now you will keep yours. Withdraw your men to Painford, and keep the peace.”

“I assure you, your Grace,” said Sforza, with an insincere smile, “I wish for nothing more.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pausing here for reactions from Sieghard, Elsa, and anyone else who pleases.
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-17 at 11:29 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"That's him," Sieghard muttered to Elsa as Hakon approached. "The whore-son who led the attack on Painford. The rest are from Savonne, but that wound on his leg was my doing."

16. - Top - End - #166

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Crouching in the mud of the river bank and very thankful he had not worn his good clothes Adelbert strained to listen in. He'd been deeply relieved to find Kelda Wave-Born lived though he was very afraid Viggo would be stupid enough to challenge her to a duel.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa suppressed a sigh of frustration upon hearing that war would be postponed until spring. Still, she trusted Sforza's judgment. There would no doubt be many opportunities to prove herself in the meantime.

And plenty of time to find and bind a familiar.

Everyone

Elsa was quite astonished to see Alvarr actually pay up. Perhaps the man was more honest than she gave him credit for, though she did not believe for a second that the heads that rolled on the ground had been cut on Alvarr's orders. Standing among the officers with her black coat flapping, her eyes glided lazily across the faces behind the Duke, hoping Jager would meet her gaze if only for a few heartbeats.

Oh, hi, Kelda.

Who's the man in the red tabbard? Is that Groz? Not bad-looking, is he?
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2016-02-17 at 12:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa didn't have to work hard to catch Jager's eye. The Duke's man saw her looking at him and glowered back, clearly determined to win the staring competition.

A man came forward to gather up the sack of heads, and the two princes parted ways. <Dispose of that disgusting thing,> said Sforza, looking briefly down at the sack before riding ahead.

Alvarr's forces lingered for a couple of hours, taking the opportunity to rest and eat after their march. If it was true that the northern lords had them outnumbered, then Elsa supposed this was only a part of their forces – despite the impressive show, there were still fewer of them than Sforza's men.

When at last they formed up and headed north again, Sieghard could feel the tension lift from the camp. He didn't have long to enjoy it – news came quickly from the Captain's tent to make ready for the withdrawal to Painford. The army would march in the morning.

Curiously, he saw Makeda and Al-Makir standing outside the Captain's tent shortly before he received the order, talking in low voices. Shortly after that, he heard Fischwillen's pantomime protest as the sergeant heard that he and his halberdiers had been assigned to the new Ravenskird garrison.

“We ain't scouts, ma'am,” he was saying. “And I'd hate to tell the lads they won't get to finish them walls they were workin' so hard on. Sla – Sieghard's lot'd be a better fit, if you don't mind my saying.”

“I do,” was Makeda's curt reply. “You will not question my orders. You will garrison this village and begin work on the new bridge.”

Fischwillen gave a smart salute. “Ma'am! Yes ma'am.”

Sieghard smelt the scent of cloves over his shoulder, and looked round to see the grinning face of Abdul.

“A few weeks' grace for you, friend,” he said. “I would suggest you use the time to make the lady's grave more... difficult to disturb.”

Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    Having slithered back through the mud of the riverbank to Ravenskird, Adelbert noticed with a start that the boatman he had sent to carry his message to the Duke was waiting on the dock. Spotting Adelbert, he approached, and gave him a heavy satchel.

“They said to give this to you,” he said, looking a little worried. “You'll tell 'em you got it all, right? I didn't touch none of it, I swear.”

Looking inside, Adelbert saw a rolled-up parchment letter and a heavy leather bag. Unrolling the letter, he read:

For your services.

Fastest communication is by river. Word sent to Alvarran, Forkbeard arriving soon. Follow the Tilean and await instruction.

Opening the bag, he looked down at a small fortune in gold.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    100gc for you sir!
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"You have my thanks," Sieghard said. He fished into his pouch and placed a few coins in Al-Makir's hand. "I already have an idea for how to do just that."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard gives Al-Makir (1d4+2)[4] crowns as a token of gratitude.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-17 at 12:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "Deliver and collect any future messages at the shrine of Morr," Adelbert informed the messenger, before slipping a crown into his hand and taking the bag he made his way back to the village, face thoughtful, perhaps conflicted.

At the shrine to Morr Adelbert took his leave of Brother Cesar, thanking him for his kindnesses. He gave his friend a sad smile. "Perhaps I should have followed your god my friend. I think the Lady Verena and I might both have been better off had I followed a different path."

Bidding a sad farewell and asking that Cesar take care of his correspondence, Adelbert mounted Bella and prepared to ride for Painford. If anything he wanted to be back there well before the army.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

"I think you have more to offer to the living than the dead, Herr Schreiber," said Cesar, in the same mild tones he used for everything. "Safe travels, and may your goddess watch over you."

Konigstag, 21st Erntzeit

A light rain was falling on Konigstag morning as the army broke camp. Stippling the still waters of the Mere and running from the peaked roof of Cesar's chapel, the rain also had its usual effect of soaking Elsa's wild mane of hair and making her look like a monster risen from a bog. Sitting on Bastard's back and trying not to look as disgruntled as she felt, Elsa could tell the bad-tempered stallion liked the rain no more than she did.

The last of the tents were being folded away when she heard a familiar voice coming up the line, shouting volubly in Tilean. Irene looked no happier about the rain than Elsa, her dark locks plastered to her dripping face. A frightened-looking handmaiden ran frantically behind, trying and failing to keep pace so she could hold the lady's parasol up to shelter her.

<It's gone!> she shouted, bearing down on her husband like the wrath of Myrmidia. The other officers around the Captain discreetly moved aside, leaving Sforza to face his wife alone. <Gone! One of your soldiers has stolen it!>
    <My dear,> said Sforza, adopting his most soothing tone, <the Company have known you for years. Why would they steal from you now?>
    <One of the new ones, then!> raged Irene, not placated in the slightest. <They probably mean to melt it down, the stinking peasants. They stole it, I know!> Turning with a wild expression, she pointed at Fischwillen. <Him. The ugly one. I bet it was him. Or the halflings. Everyone knows they have sticky fingers.>

Not having a clue what she was saying, Fischwillen beamed and stood up straight, pleased to have caught the lady's attention. Irene widened her eyes and gave him a stare that seemed like it would incinerate him where he stood.

Turning back to her husband, she gave him a dangerous look. <I want it back, Muzio,> she said, in steely tones. <I'm not leaving until you find it.>

Turning on her heel, she stalked off with her nose in the air. Slumping a little in the saddle, Sforza exhaled and beckoned wearily for Abdul.

~

Half an hour later, the army stood standing in the rain as Al-Makir walked out in front of them, shoes squelching in the mud.

"The Lady Sforza has lost something precious to her!" the quartermaster shouted. "A silver mirror from her baggage. If any man has seen it, he should speak now." The way he stressed 'seen' seemed to hint at amnesty for potential thieves - but a deafening silence was the only reply.

After standing in silence for a good thirty seconds, Abdul sadly shook his head. "Very well," he said. Clapping his hands, he motioned his men forwards. "We will begin the search."

At Carraciolo's barked order, the Gamecocks were the first to trudge forwards, offering up their bags and bindles for the Arabyans to rummage through. Although they found a decent amount of food which Abdul seemed to think had been pinched from the Iron Company stores, they turned up no sign of the mirror.

Fischwillen and his halberdiers were up next, and once again the searchers found nothing. Sieghard watched closely as Fischwillen was made to empty out his knapsack - Rahim wrinkled his nose at the stench from the bits of mouldy bread and old salt beef that came tumbling out.

"What's this?" asked Abdul, his voice muffled from the hand he was handing over his nose and mouth. Leaning over Rahim's shoulder, he reached down to pick up something glinting from the detritus. It was a copper amulet on a leather cord, crafted in the shape of the twin-tailed comet. Fischwillen stood to attention and made the sign of the hammer over his breast.

"Pers'nal effect, sir. Given to me by my dear mother, Morr rest 'er soul."

"I see," he said. Returning the amulet to the sergeant, he moved on down the line. Standing under her servant's parasol, Sieghard could see Irene watching the painstaking proceedings with folded arms and a face that was equal parts angry and impatient.

Up next were the Thorns. There was some grumbling as they were called forward, but a hard look from Sieghard silenced it - it wouldn't do for the company's low morale to come across as insubordination in front of the Captain.

The search had scarcely begun when Irene cried out and rushed forward. Looking round, Sieghard saw Florin standing with a dumbfounded expression on his face, staring at the glittering silver mirror one of the Arabyans had pulled from his pack...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard glared at Floirin. "Where did you get that?" he glanced over towards Fischwillen. "Did that pack leave your sight at any point?"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

"I - I don't know!" protested Florin. "I've never seen that before in my life!"

Striding up to where Florin was standing with a thunderous look on her face, Irene snatched the mirror from the Arabyan who was holding it. Taking a moment to check it wasn't broken, she looked back to Florin and dealt the young man a stinging slap across the face.

"Figlio di puttana!" she snarled. She looked to Abdul. "What is the penalty for stealing?"

"Flogging," said Abdul, reluctantly. He looked almost as surprised as Florin to have found the mirror.

"You heard the man," said Irene, rounding on Sieghard with a commanding look. "Do your duty!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa almost intervened on Florin's behalf to vouch for his honesty, but decided it was not her place, unless Sieghard asked her to. She hardly knew the man, after all, and she felt more sympathy for Sieghard, who would no doubt take rather badly the task of flogging one of his own men.

Damn suspicious, she kept thinking, well aware that she was far from impartial. Either Florin was genuinely astonished to find that mirror in his backpack, or he was the best actor and liar she had ever met.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard stood dumbfounded for a moment. "Yes, Lady Sforza," he said. He grabbed Florin roughly by the wrist and half-dragged him a distance away.

"I warned you that grave-robbing bastard would try something," he hissed. He hadn't expected something like this, though. "Careless. ****ing stupid and careless, leaving your things where he could get at them. Put on a show for them and I'll keep this from being any worse than it has to be."

Spoiler: Rolls and such
    Show
    Let's get this over with... Sieghard does what he has to do. If he gets the benefit of an aim action for that WS test, he takes it. If they don't like him taking his time and aiming means they'd have someone else do it, he doesn't.

(1d100)[70] vs 51 WS (or 61 if he can aim)
    (1d100)[98] reroll if needed.

He doesn't half-ass it, but he's certainly not going full force either...

Oh god that's bad.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-18 at 02:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Unpacking one of the wagons they had just got ready to make way, Abdul's men lashed together a crude punishment frame out of wood and rope, planting it in the muddy ground. The unresisting, uncomprehending Florin was stripped to the waist and bound to the frame by his wrists. As a crowd of onlookers assembled, Carraciolo approached through the rain and handed Sieghard the whip.

"Forty lashes," the commander of pike called out, his voice loud and clear. He looked to Sieghard, and Sieghard thought he saw a brief glimmer of sympathy in his eyes - but there was no way out. "You may begin."

Walking up to his mark, Sieghard felt the weight of the lash in his hand, and tried to judge how he could wield it without maiming the young Thorn on the rack. Feeling Irene's hard stare on the back of his neck, he leaned back and took the first strike.

Crack

"Uno!"

Despite himself, Florin screamed. The whip had raised an ugly welt - Sieghard hesitated, then drew it back again.

Crack

"Due!"

Crack

"Tre!"

Wrapping round the side of Florin's ribcage, the whip drew blood. Florin's yelps had become sobs.

Crack

"Quattro!"

Crack...

~

When the brutal punishment was done, Abdul's men untied Florin from the frame, dousing his lacerated back with stinging brine. He scarcely seemed to notice - limp and insensible, he allowed them to drag him away, back to the regiment.

"Let this be a lesson to you!" shouted Carraciolo, addressing the militia. "You are fed! Sheltered! Paid! Defy the Captain's discipline and you will be punished!"

With a dissatisfied look to his second-in-command, Sforza motioned for the army to get underway. He had clearly enjoyed the spectacle no more than the rest of them.

As Sieghard was returning to the Thorns, he felt a presence by his shoulder. "I warned you, Slayer," murmured Fischwillen, in a gust of halitosis. "Ol' Friedrich always gets even. You better watch your step.". The sergeant gave a yellow-toothed grin. "Or maybe you'll be next."
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-18 at 03:21 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard turned and spat in Fischwillen's face.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Face briefly flushing, Fischwillen looked for a moment like he would throw a punch - then, with a sound that was more bark than laugh, he reined himself in. Blinking like a lizard, he wiped the spittle from his face with his sleeve.

"See you around, Slayer," he gloated, before scuttling off to join his regiment. Unlike the Thorns and their newly-created invalid, the halberdiers weren't going anywhere.

The Thorns marched with heads down and faces dark on the muddy road back to Painford, carrying Florin on a cart behind them. The leaves were beginning to fall in the Thornwood, and the steady of the army's boots was squishing the carpet of red and gold into mulch as they passed.

Riding for a little time with the Thorns, Elsa eventually decided she'd had all she could take of their sullen silence, and rode up the line to find some more companionable company. Drawn by the sound of singing from the Gamecocks, she rode towards it - then slowed Bastard to a walk as she caught the lyrics.

Her eyes were wand'ring, her speech was slurred,
    The sorc'ress screeched, 'This is absurd!
    ‘I demand to be fed this very minute,
    Or your shop will burn with everyone in it’

The song was about her - more than that, it was about her adventures with Herr Lieber and Madame Morte in Alvarran. More than that, it was completely inaccurate - it cast her as a greedy, drunken fool who broke into a pie shop to stuff her face with pies when the shopkeeper denied her service. The only passing resemblance to the truth was her subsequent escape out of a second-floor window, which the halflings sang with great relish.

The pastry was ready, the terror was over,
    Its smell was quite pleasant, unlike her aroma!
    The Baker learned to spare some dough,
    For the Wizard in the Pie Shop Window!

As she rode slowly up alongside them, one of the halflings looked round and went pale with shock. Reaching over to the next halfling in line, who seemed intent in starting again from the top, he shook him by the shoulder until he too noticed who had joined their audience. Rapidly, the chorus broke apart in an outbreak of awkward coughing.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa stared at the nervous halflings for a moment, unsure how to react.

Well, they're afraid of me. That's something, I guess.

After an uncomfortable silence, she decided there was only one way to deal with this sort of thing. She maneuvered Bastard next to the halflings, and flashed them a wide grin. "Start at the beginning, please."

When they resumed their song, she sang along.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Not believing his ears, the halfling didn't immediately comply. Bastard chose that moment to bite him, which spurred him into quickening his pace and beginning to sing in a panicked warble. Soon the whole troop were nervously joining in.

Drawn by the sound of the music, a figure on horseback came riding up the line. Reining in her horse alongside Elsa, Irene looked from the halflings to the wizard and back with an expression of indignant confusion.

<What is this?> she demanded - talking to Elsa, rather than the halflings. <Why are you letting them sing such things?>
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb