New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VI

Adelbert & Viggo

Viggo nodded emphatically in agreement, "Both your craw and mine," His eyebrows raised at the suggestion of Lady Irene as the goddess Myrmidia, but not for the reasons Adelbert assumed. "Irene Sforza?! A goddess?!" He scoffed, "If anybody could use a touch of your Lady's justice it's her and her husband!" Viggo continued shaking his head, "Besides, Lords and Ladies like to watch plays Adelbert, not act them out."

"Alright, I'll go and saddle Bella. We can leave as soon as you like. I am aware you'll probably need to... ahem... explain your absence."
    Viggo shook his head, eyeing the road once more, "Not today. I need to speak with.. Sieghard first." The name seemed to catch in his throat, but he carried on his voice turning harsh, "But mark my words Adelbert, I don't need to explain myself to anybody anymore. The Capitano no longer pays me, so I no longer serve him. I thought him a Lord with honour, but I was clearly wrong. He had Florin flogged without ever trying to find the truth. The truth is Adelbert, that Sergeant Fisch framed the poor lad because Florin shot one of his men who was trying to desecrate Frau Fassbender's grave."

Viggo looked scandalised as he recounted the sorry going on to the priest, "Fisch thought he'd make himself rich by digging up her gold arm." A very dark gleam entered Viggo's eyes and the dangerous expression on his face seemed odd to Adelbert who was so used to seeing the lad all brightness and smiles. "What would your Lady say to that eh Adelbert? That maybe the good Sergeant Fischwillan deserves some justice of his own too eh?" His eyes flicked back to the road and his hand unconsciously fell to the hilt of his sword.
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2016-02-22 at 10:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Viggo and Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    "You won't," Sieghard said, glaring a Viggo. "If it was as easy as it was with Rogar, I'dve already done it myself. Lay a finger on him and you'll just make it worse for us than it already."

"Do as I say and he'll have it far worse than anything you could do to him."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    How is Sieghard planning on starting a hue and cry about the book?
    Through Elsa. She tells them someone was trying to undo the spells she had protecting it and they can hardly disprove it. No accusations, or anything just a statement that the book is in danger and let them come to their own conclusions.

And should we maybe draw a few symbols on the skull to really sell it?
    There are already symbols on the skull. The description in Viggo's character sheet: "Blackened human skull, its sooty surface worked with intricate inscriptions in curling Arabyan script"

We've no clue what the inscriptions actually say, but given we found the damn thing in the care of an actual necromancer, they're nothing any good and far more authentic than anything else we'd be able to come up with.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert looked astonished as Viggo poured out an explanation for Florin - and for his own feelings.

"I had no notion you had lost faith in the Tilean so," Adelbert said, voice quiet. "Though I know the Lady Irene not all - we have never spoken." He might have sounded wistful there.

"Viggo... I have done things that I am not proud of, but if you are dreaming of murdering Fisch I'd beg you to reconsider. The man sounds like the worst breed of scum but kill him and his men won't take it lying down. Be careful my friend. Look, I'll continue to attend to the man Florin while you talk to Sieghard. Our companion doesn't seem to have much time for me these days."

4. - Top - End - #214

Sieghard, Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Sieghard's glare was returned with interest, Viggo's knuckles turned white as they gripped the table before them, "I don't take orders from you anymore Sieghard or have you forgotten?" When he spoke it was in that harsh clipped tone, at least this time he kept his voice down though, just because he no longer considered himself a Thorn, Viggo saw no reason to make Sieghards' job any more difficult. "When... he.. stopped paying me coin and started flogging my friends, he lost my loyalty."

Viggo was clearly struggling to keep his voice low as he continued, "This isn't about you or me or even... him. This is about Florin and Fisch and proper justice being served. You can't see to it, I can and I will." He seemed to briefly consider something, "It won't be murder, it will be justice. All the time we sit here planning is another day that man breathes when he should be in a hole."

Adelbert & Viggo

For a moment Viggo's cheeks flushed crimson, he cast an abashed glance in Adelbert's direction, "You were right about Sforza all along Adelbert, I should have listened to you. I'm sorry that I didn't believe you Adelbert, will you forgive me?" For a moment it was almost as if he were the same innocent minstrel that the priest had left just over a month ago, the moment was fleeting. "It wouldn't be murder though would it? It would be an execution of sorts, justice served?" The way he asked the question indicated that he was clearly hoping that Adelbert would agree with his verdict.

"I'm not very likely to do it in front of his whole squadron am I?!" Viggo boggled at the very idea, "I will wait until he's alone.... and drunk and that will be the that." He said it very firmly, it was clear Viggo had put some thought into this.

5. - Top - End - #215

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert looked shaken. "Viggo..." he said very quietly. "You know my sympathies are with Alvarr, or at least they were until we saw the fires of Savonne... I cannot advise you here. Fischwillen is a bad man but if I told you what to do I couldn't be sure if I was echoing the words of the goddess, or echoing my own desires because any blow against the Tilean is a move I'd cheer. I think this is something you'll have to decide for yourself."

He took a deep breath and gave the minstrel a shaky smile. "Either way it is not really for me to judge you my friend."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Viggo and Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    "Like hell you don't," Sieghard spat. "If it wasn't for you, there never would've been any crossbow troop. You don't get to run off and make trouble when things start to look bad."

He took a drink. "If they'd have a man whipped over a stupid mirror, what do you think they'll do if Fish is found floating down the Azril? Expect them to believe me if I tell them you did it on your own? And if you ruin any chance we have with Sforza, where the hell are we supposed to go after that? It's him or Alvarr."

"Fish dies, but he dies in a way that can't be linked to us." Sieghard said. "If it means he gets to live a little longer, then that's the price we pay, but I won't let you throw away what little we still have just because you can't wait."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Sieghard, Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo blanched at Viggo's suggestion. "Viggo, you can't! You can't kill him because of that, you have to... we can't kill him!"

8. - Top - End - #218

Adelbert & Viggo

Even though his brows beetled at the mention of the Dukes name, something in what Adelbert said seemed to satisfy Viggo, he placed a hand on his compatriots shoulder, "That's what I thought Adelbert, your Lady is wise... as are you. I'll go and speak to Sieghard, I'll come find you afterwards." He obviously had read something into the priests words, perhaps, worryingly, hearing only what he wanted to hear.

About to leave he turned back, "Oh and Adelbert..." When he spoke again it was in a rich rolling baritone which seemed to echo and roll around the gated entrance to the town. "Upon verdant fields and through forests of twisted thorn did the evil green horde flow and upon rocky waves of stone and firm earth did the proud Commanders' ship sail!" He snapped his fingers and grinned at Adelbert, "That's how it opens, go and scribe it down, or whatever it is that you do!"

Sieghard, Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Some if not all of the harshness left his voice as Viggo replied. "You think I'm stupid enough to just walk up to him and stick a knife in him with everybody watching?" He looked slightly disappointed for some reason, "You and Schreiber must both still think of me as a bloody fool!" He half mumbled.

When he turned back to face Sieghard there was a coldness in his eyes that was a little unsettling. "And why would I want to serve.. him.. anymore or you for that matter? What proof did he seek, what trial was there to test Florins guilt?" Despite speaking softly his fist slammed down hard on the table, jostling the tankards sat upon it. "You flogged that poor boy, knowing that he was innocent! This isn't the first time either Sieghard, remember what he did to Adelbert? I thought him a man of honour. He's not, he's a man who has a boy lashed to within an inch of his life because he doesn't want his shrew of a wife nagging at him!"

"Viggo, you can't! You can't kill him because of that, you have to... we can't kill him!"
    Viggo raised his chin defiantly, "Fisch will die when I'm good and ready and nothing that you say can bloody well stop me." He turned back to Sieghard, "Have you even asked Florin what he wants? Have you?! You think he'd want us all prancing about, plotting revenge instead of just killing that stinking wretch as soon as possible?"
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2016-02-22 at 12:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219

BlackDragon

Adelbert and Viggo

Adelbert smiled at Viggo's line. "I'll see what I can do my friend. Verena watch over you."

Looking thoughtful he returned to the hostel, considering the first act of 'The Tragedy of Matthau'.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Viggo and Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lad View Post
    "You flogged that poor boy, knowing that he was innocent!
    Sieghard went silent and stated at his drink. The accusation stung - all the more because it was true.

"I did," he admitted, miserably. "What choice did I have? If I had refused or protested, they would've had him beat twice as hard." Though he knew it would've only have made things worse had he objected to the punishment, the fact wasn't comforting in the least. "I thought that if I did it myself, I could at least spare him the worst of it," he muttered. He knew he had failed horribly.

"They found the bloody mirror in his bag," he said. "There wasn't a thing we could've done that wouldn't look like a weak excuse. The bastard got us, and unfortunately, Florin was the one who suffered for it. But being mad at anyone other than Fish doesn't get us anywhere."

"Viggo, you can't! You can't kill him because of that, you have to... we can't kill him!"
    "You're the last person I want to hear complaining," Sieghard snapped, "None of this would've happened if Fish hadn't heard about Fassbender's arm. He'll be the end of all of us if we don't deal with him first, and if that means we have to kill him, I'll slit the bastard's throat myself."

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lad View Post
    "Have you even asked Florin what he wants? Have you?! You think he'd want us all prancing about, plotting revenge instead of just killing that stinking wretch as soon as possible?"
    Probably to take that crossbow of his and shoot me for what I did to him... Sieghard didn't think he could blame the boy even if he did.

"Have you?" Sieghard asked, turning to face Viggo again. "We'll deal with Fish, I promise you. Just give me some time. If it doesn't work my way, we'll do things yours." he said. "But even if comes to that, we can't act rashly."

"For now, why not sit by his bedside and give him some company? You could tell him some of your stories... He'd like that."

11. - Top - End - #221

Sieghard, Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    "Have you?" Sieghard asked, turning to face Viggo again. "We'll deal with Fish, I promise you. Just give me some time. If it doesn't work my way, we'll do things yours." he said. "But even if comes to that, we can't act rashly."

"For now, why not sit by his bedside and give him some company? You could tell him some of your stories... He'd like that."
    Viggo hung is head guiltily, "I've not asked him either," He said slowly, "Not even been to see him, it was me who talked him in to all this in the first place." His voice dripped with shame, but he rounded his shoulders and raised an eyebrow in suspicion as he continued, "Florin needs more than some sodding bedside stories Sieghard and how much time do you want to give to that wretch Fish? You think he wont still be plotting himself, from where I'm sitting, he's bloody better at it than us!"

He took a deep breath leaning forwards looking Sieghard straight in the eye once more, "This isn't either of ours' decision to make. I'm leaving it to Florin to decide, it's he who was lashed and it's he who should decide what's to be done." He punctuated his sentence with a firm nod as he turned and left the hostel without looking back.

Viggo Hirtzel

Striding out of the hostel angrily, Viggo took a moment to compose himself, Rock Face is right about one thing, he thought, it's Fish we... I need to be mad at, nobody else. Despite that, he still felt lingering resentment towards Sieghard, He cracked the whip after all!

Viggo set off to visit Florin, resolving to let the boy decide his tormentors fate.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Viggo and Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard stood grabbed Viggo by the shoulder

"Florin will decide nothing and you will say nothing about this to him," Sieghard said. "Breathe even a word of this and you endanger us and you endanger him as well."

13. - Top - End - #223

Sieghard, Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo's face froze as he regarded Sieghards' grip on his shoulder, very slowly and very deliberately he removed it one finger at a time. "Endanger him? You think he'd be in danger?! More danger than having his hide removed for obeying a direct order from his Commander say?" A finger jabbed directly into Sieghards chest. "Do you think Florin the moron eh? He already knows who put that mirror there, he and every other Thorn know what this is about! By doing nothing we as good as admit to the rest of the army and Sforza that we're thieves! How does that make us look to the rest of the men eh?"

"I accept that you did what you had to Sieghard, even if I don't like it. And I agree that I can't just run out on you when I don't like the way things go." Viggo took a deep breath, clearly struggling to confront his friend like this, "But you're wrong about this Sieghard, it is Florins choice and whatever he chooses you will need to explain to the men why you did what you did."

OOC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Charm Test to see if Viggo can convince Sieghard that Florins Choice is the way forward.

Pulling out the big guns now!

FEL 48 - (1d100)[6]

Last edited by Northern Lad; 2016-02-23 at 10:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Viggo and Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    "No, I think you're a bloody moron," Sieghard said. "One too blinded by anger to think things through."

"How does running off and putting a knife in Fish's back help us? Even if you aren't caught, it doesn't stop us from looking like thieves, and if you are it makes us look like murderers as well. Killing Fish isn't enough. We need to ruin him."

Spoiler
    Show
    Nope. Even with a roll like that, that's about as likely to work as trying to charm Sforza into letting you sleep with his wife.

On the plus side, Sieghard's reaction to the charm test isn't nearly as bad.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-23 at 10:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225

BlackDragon

Adelbert

After eating a meal at the hostel Adelbert decided to investigate the villagers to see if there was any appetite for an active priest in their midst. Though he would make no secret of his identity as a servant of Verena he knew he would have to honour all the gods, as he had in Handrich's Cross. He'd also have to take the garrison into account and was secretly a little disappointed only the Thorns were present (learning the religious views of Southlanders or Arabyians would have been fascinating.)

Dressed in his robes he went to the village square to talk with the locals. In this he had something of an advantage; doubtless at least some would recall he had officiated at Fassbender's funeral.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert isn't proselytizing, just conducting a survey.

Gossip tests:

Has Painford had a full time priest or shrine in the past? (1d100)[54] vs. 46
    What gods do the locals worship? (1d100)[100] vs. 46

16. - Top - End - #226

Sieghard, Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

"Oh I'm angry alright," He clearly was as Viggo's whole body had tensed, "Nothing stops us from looking like thieves does it, we've already as good as admitted it and condemned poor Florin by doing so. You could have demanded a trial Sieghard, does Sforza even know about Fish, about his grave robbing, about his threat to see for Florin?"

Viggo squared his shoulders, "No Sieghard, maybe killing him is enough. Enough for Florin at least." Viggo seemed like a coiled spring, but he continued in a calmer voice. "Ravenskird is full of thieves and na'er do wells, it wouldn't come as a shock to hear that someone there ended up dead." A thought seemed to occur to Viggo, "Especially if any folk fleeing Savonne have reached town, remember he's not best loved by them at all. There'd be plenty of people there who had reason to... see him off."
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2016-02-23 at 11:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Viggo and Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard took a deep breath, his patience at its end. "Viggo, things are already in motion. I will not let you ruin everything by acting like a damned fool."

"You will be patient and you will restrain yourself or else I'll have you restrained by force."

18. - Top - End - #228

Sieghard, Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

For a moment it seemed as if Viggo would snap back, his eyebrows tried to climb all the way up to his hairline. Instead he took a deep breath of his own, nodding calmly. "I understand. I wouldn't want to face the lash for disobeying a direct order now would I?"

A grin bloomed on the boys face, to Sieghard and Ludo who knew him well, it was obviously a fixed, false smile, it never reached his eyes. "I'll do as you say of course... sir. Are we done here?" Viggo began eyeing up the door, clearly keen to be making an exit, "I really should go see Florin, you're right, maybe he could do with hearing a story or two." Despite trying to sound casual, Viggo sounded anything but, he was clearly struggling to keep his voice light and the harshness at bay.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Viggo and Ludo

Spoiler
    Show
    "Go," he said. "Just know that if you leave this village I'll drag you back behind my horse."

Sieghard and Ludo, after Viggo leaves

Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't trust him," Sieghard said. "You want to keep him from doing anything foolish, right? Follow him and tell me what he and Florin say."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-23 at 12:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert found the people of Painford reluctant to talk with him - perhaps as an outsider associating him with the captain's army. From what he could gather, Painford had not had a resident priest in a long time. Most preachers would not have had an easy time living in the same village as Beatrix, and before her Mayor Drago had not been one to tolerate any competitors for his authority. People kept icons and the like in their homes, and there was an open-air shrine to Shallya, Taal and Rhya out in the woods - really no more than a few devotional images under a lean-to roof - but that was about it.

Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Viggo found Florin in the sick tent, trying not to move. The young man was awake and alert, but his back was clearly still causing him a great deal of pain.

He listened mutely to Viggo's apologies, rarely making eye contact. It took Viggo asking him what should be done for him to finally speak.

"Sieghard's the boss," he mumbled. "He should decide."

He looked down at the ground.

"We came through worse, though, right?" he said at last, touching the twisting scar on the side of his face where Cacophrax had healed his eye. "Daemons and monsters. We beat them."

He looked up at Viggo.

"I don't care how we beat Fisch. Just as long as we do." A dark look crossed his face. "He deserves everything that's coming to him."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

21. - Top - End - #231

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Rather dismayed at the lack of success he was having with the locals Adelbert set about looking at building a lean to of his own. For the moment that would have to do.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard and Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes... Right, yes." Ludo said, distracted. He stared after viggo, his jaw a little slack. "Yes, I will."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lets follow Viggo! (1d100)[75] for Ludo's sneaking vs either 69 or 79 depending on what the test is, opposed by (1d100)[60] for Viggos perception.

23. - Top - End - #233

Viggo Hirtzel

Spoiler
    Show

"Oh that he does Florin, that he does and in spadefuls." Viggo agreed matching Florins dark look, he continued, lowering his voice. "And you're right Sieghard is the boss. Just because he's the boss doesn't mean he's always right though, what if his way takes too long, what if it dosen't work?"

It was Viggo's turn to avert his eyes, "I feel responsible for what happened to you in some small part Florin. It was me who talked you into this mad caper in the first place after all, me who told you to do whatever Sieghard says. If you ask me... no.. if you want me to go and see Fish dead in the ground then I will. No matter what anybody else says."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show

"You shouldn't get yourself in trouble," said Florin. "That's how he gets us. Got us. Both times." He paused. "Sometimes I think he wanted me to shoot at him. That's what he does. He provokes people."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #235

Viggo Hirtzel

Spoiler
    Show

Viggo nodded slowly, "As you say Florin. We'll trust in Sieghards' way, he says he'll make the stinking weasel pay and I'll do what I can to make sure whatever he's got planned works."

Smiling weakly at the injured boy, Viggo tried to sound more upbeat, "If you ever get the chance to shoot at him again, make sure you plant it right between his eyes eh?"

He spent some time there, sat next to Florin's bed, Viggo played his new song and told Florin his favourite jokes in an effort to lift the lads spirits.

Viggo & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show

Later that evening Viggo found Sieghard whilst the gruff commander was making his rounds, waiting for an opportune moment he approached when his friend was alone. "We do it your way." He said flatly presenting the soot blackened skull discreetly to the mercenary. The skulls empty sockets seemed to glare at Sieghard mockingly. "Remember though, Al'Makir has seen this, I asked him if he knew what it was or if he wanted to but it." Viggo shrugged uncomfortably, "He liked the look of it as much as anybody else who lays their eyes on it." He eyed Sieghard cooly, "I don't know why I never got rid of the thing to be honest. it has an ill aspect."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard and Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    "He does...?" Sieghard asked, sounding utterly defeated. He shook his head and began muttering to himself. "No, that won't work then... We'll need to think of something else... What if... No... Maybe if..."

He looked up and glared at Viggo. "You didn't think something like that was worth mentioning sooner!?"

Painford

Sieghard went to find Ludo.

"New plan," he told the halfling when he found him. "Head straight for Manaan's Keep. Find Elsa, and tell her I said not to do the thing I asked her to do."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-02-24 at 12:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Sieghard & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show

Boggling somewhat at Sieghards' suggestion Viggo spluttered, "What?! eh?! Now see here you.... I didn't mention it sooner because I thought it a fool plan, now it turns out I was right!" Viggo's hands were on his hips as he stared sternly at Sieghard, "Look Sieghard, you're the boss, I understand that. What's more I apologise for my behaviour these past weeks, it's been..... difficult for me, since Kirsten, you understand?"

Viggo's look turned earnest, "I'll follow your orders Sieghard and do my best to make sure the Thorns make us both rich, but you need to listen to me more. I'm not the idiot that you imagine me to be and I can be useful if you'll let me. Send me to Ravenskird Sieghard, let me put an end to this, I won't let you down."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard and Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard shook his head. "Not yet, it's too soon. If Fish dies right now, we'll be the obvious suspects."

"We'll figure something out," he said. "I'd settle for putting a knife in his back if that's the best we can do, but I want the bastard to suffer."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Sforza and the army marched out of Painford later that day, heading back to Manann's Keep with lower spirits than when they had set out. The atmosphere that hung over the marching column was one of uncertainty, the fires of Savonne clearly still looming large in their minds.

Standing by the bank of the stream, Sieghard waved goodbye to Elsa as she rode out of the village, her big black horse throwing menacing looks at the men it passed by. Watching until she was out of sight, he turned back to the unfinished palisade. There was work to do.

In the days that followed, all of the party were kept busy. Ludo made the journey to Manann's Keep and back, letting Elsa know that Sieghard's false alarm was no longer necessary; she seemed relieved to hear it. Adelbert spent long hours sitting with Viggo in the hostel, trying to write his play as the minstrel sat strumming his lute and picturing new roles for himself. There was a lot of bickering as the two of them pulled the script in different directions – Viggo towards spectacle and derring-do, Adelbert towards some sort of serious morality play – but it seemed good-natured enough, and the work seemed to help lift Viggo a little out of the black mood in which he had returned to Painford. Still, Adelbert often noticed him slinking off to speak with Sieghard in quiet corners.

With the help of the ogres, the fortifications around Painford rose up stronger than before. Perhaps seeing Alvarr's forces had given Gorg and his brutes a sense of what all the work was for, or perhaps the absence of Fischwillen and his unique brand of laziness was letting the Thorns get on with their work more effectively than the halberdiers had done. Either way, by Mittherbst the east wall had been repaired, the west wall and the perimeter ditch completed, and the last of the trees inside the compound had been felled. A great stack of timber stood piled up by the old tower, ready for the construction of the new bunkhouses.

Back in Manann's Keep, Elsa spent most of her time riding out into the Thornwood, still searching for some suitable creature to bind as her familiar. What little time she spent at court was mostly spent trying to keep up with the news from the north. From what she could gather, Alvarr had kept his word – the river was open again, and a trickle of trade was beginning to flow back through Savonne along both the river and the roads. Much of the court's time was spent discussing how to restore their old trade links, which Elsa found rather dull – but curiously, she heard that Bianco had been dispatched back to Last Water. She could hardly think why – Irene was still in Manann's Keep, as she was reminded every day when the two of them traded glares passing each other in the fort.

Mittherbst

The arrival of the equinox brought more sombre celebrations than the Mitterfruhl or Sonnstill festivities. In Painford and Manann's Keep both, huge bonfires were lit in honour of Rhya, the locals casting a small portion of the season's harvest into the flames. The large population of Imperial settlers in Manann's Keep also carried out a traditional dedication to Ulric, acknowledging the changing of the season and praying for a mild winter with the sacrifice of a goat. The animal's remains were left out in the woods for the wolves - though not, Elsa noticed, before the people who had done the sacrificing had availed themselves of the best cuts. She wasn't sure of Ulric's opinion on serving a sacrifice with fried onions, but it certainly smelt good. Sforza and his wife didn't join in the public festivities this time – rather, a feast was held for the inner circle inside the keep, serving up the best of the stores that had been laid in for winter.

In Painford, worship of the wolf god was too thin on the ground to be anything more than a private observance. Among the locals, Adelbert observed that Morr seemed to take Ulric's place as patron of the cold season - and disconcertingly, his legendary hound too. An old woman sat near the bonfire weaving fresh charms to keep the Jackal out for another winter, while a bushy-bearded woodsman regaled the village children with the tale of Nakki and the Thief. Dierk was among the audience, holding tightly on to his mother. Marta was up and walking around again like a healthy woman, but she had not been the same since the day Bianco saved her life. She was slow-witted now, confused and frustrated by the simplest of tasks. Now she seldom went anywhere without her son leading her around by the hand.

Adelbert immediately recognised the story the woodsman was telling from his research in Savonne, but there were a few notable differences beyond just the corruption of the jackal-god's name. Instead of journeying to the underworld to rescue his lover, the thief stole a treasure from Morr to impress a demanding woman - and in a dark twist on the version Adelbert had read, "Nakki" the jackal first hunted and ate her before returning to pose his riddles to the thief.

The Thorns joined in the festivities with good grace but without much energy, being worn out from their exertions repairing the palisade. The more cheerful among them badgered Viggo for music, and without much resistance won themselves a performance of The Wizard in the Pie Shop Window. Even Florin, who had become quiet and subdued since his experience in Ravenskird, ended up clapping merrily along.

The ogres loomed large over the proceedings, cheerfully cramming their faces with as much food as they could scoff - no-one in Painford was about to tell them they'd had their share. Viggo's playing was soon drowned out by the rib-rattling bass of Grumbarth drinking songs, and later the thunderous clash of two ogres wrestling. Villagers, militia and ahosi looked on with equal awe and excitement – for the backwoods of the Reaches, this was pretty exotic entertainment.

When the dust settled, a space was cleared around the lead statue of Mayor Drogo, and some of the villagers struck up a tune. As Viggo was implored to join the players, Adelbert nervously asked Etunu to dance, and was rather surprised when she enthusiastically agreed. The laughs and comments in the Danxome tongue from Oseye and the others were only mildly disconcerting.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dances of the Reaches aren't entirely familiar to Adelbert – Ag test to stay light on your toes! And a Perform test for Viggo if he wants to join in the playing; if he chooses to play something Adelbert is more familiar with you may get a positive modifier.

Eating the last few scraps of meat from a roast chicken leg, Makeda came and sat down next to Sieghard on a bench outside the hostel.

“You are doing well here,” she said. Her tone was curt, but it was the closest Sieghard had heard her get to a compliment. “The walls are strong. You will have them finished soon?” She looked towards the southern perimeter, where the village was still only protected by the stream.

“The bridge in Ravenskird goes slower,” she continued. “Fischwillen's men are idle. They don't work unless we watch them. It is good to have someone here to rely on.” Throwing the bone away, she thumped Sieghard on the shoulder and rose to leave. “Keep your head, soldier.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2016-02-24 at 12:34 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #240

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert was happy to conduct religious services for the locals, sprinkling in a few Verenan parables, even if he was less comfortable with the presence of Nakki. Still he did not comment on the worship of others, feeling he was not nearly established enough to do so.

He also continued to check in on Florin's progress.

Truthfully though the play absorbed most of his attention and it was secretly a relief to set it aside for the moment as the festival approached. While he'd always thought Etunu with her long legs and dark eyes a striking woman he hadn't guessed he was going to ask her to dance before he found himself doing so. Then he laughed with shocked delight and led her out onto the grass... though 'led' was perhaps the wrong word given the warrioress was probably taller and stronger than him.

"So daughter of the Danxome, how about you teach a northerner to dance?" He playfully bowed to Oseye and the others, before taking Etunu's hand in his own.
    Last edited by RossN; 2016-02-24 at 12:50 PM.