New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing X: Bard is not a valid choice

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    *** May not insist that's the only right way to play a war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    **** May not insist there must be a left way to play a war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madbox View Post
    ***** May not insist that war is a 3 axis space, and that there is an up way and a down way to play a war.
    ****** Banned from using my Solar Quest board game to simulate the fourth axis of War.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing X: Bard is not a valid choice

*May not "roll up" a new Wizard PC just to cast
    Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit!
    Spell!
    ***There is no such spell either!
    *****It was not "written up" by Gygax in '79!
    ******Do not start bringing out old issues of "The Dragon"
    ******* So'is'y'r'mom'a is not an Elvish name meaning "Soft Autumn Breeze"
    ********You did not use Tolkien's Quenya language!
    **********It's not Sindarin either!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

* Must not create a beholder with only one HP.
    ** Upon death, the beholder cannot fly around the room rapidly while deflating with a fffffffffffffffffffffff sound, before flopping ungraciously onto the floor as a flat piece of leather.
    *** Cannot use a balloon IRL to simulate the effect.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Bugbear in the Playground

* The correct way of subtly finding out if someone is a vampire is not "Excuse me, sir, are you a vampire?"
    ** This appplies doubly if I have the ability to read minds.
    Last edited by Socksy; 2016-06-26 at 06:08 AM.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

5. - Top - End - #665

Imp

*My character's goal in life is not to bang a celestial.
    **Nor is it to happily marry one.
    ***This goes double if I am a tiefling warlock.
    ****Triple if my goal is instead to create a half-fiend-half-celestial.
    *****Not allowed to then play as that character in the next campaign.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Belac93 View Post
    *My character's goal in life is not to bang a celestial.
    **Nor is it to happily marry one.
    *My bard's goal is not to bang Sune.
    ** Even if he does worship her.

Thats totally his goal
    Last edited by Dire Roc; 2016-06-26 at 05:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Roc View Post
    *My bard's goal is not to bang Sune.
    ** Even if he does worship her.

Thats totally his goal
    What would be the XP for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bard
    Goddess of Love and Beauty? I totally nailed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audience
    Yeah right. Pull another one, it's got bells on!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

8. - Top - End - #668
    Titan in the Playground

* My pokemon trainer cannot be a shameless flirt to all the ladies
    ** especially if they are themselves female
    *** My pokemon team are not my harem
    **** I cannot be involved in a love triangle between me, my Gardevoir and my Lucario due to both pokemon having empathic connections to their trainers, especially if they are both female as well
    ***** Most Especially can't try to use Burst to fuse with both of the above at the same time just to see what would happen.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #669

Imp

*My backup characters cannot all be siblings of my first one.
    **Especially if they all have different alignments.
    ***No, they cannot all be different races.

*If I roll an 18 and a 3 on a character, not allowed to make a wizard with 3 intelligence and 18 strength.
    **Not allowed to roll my ability scores; 17, 17, 17, 18, 18 (that was insane).

10. - Top - End - #670

Devil

* Okay. Here's the search plan for the dungeon. First, we explore every hallway and map them out to kill any patrolling monsters around and make sure we don't get flanked, BUT we don't open any doors or go into any rooms that the DM has carefully prepared with more intelligent encounters. THEN we'll explore those rooms one at a time, but not touch any treasure, read any books, work out any puzzles, try to answer any riddles, or open any chests. Bonus points for chortling whenever the DM cusses us out for AVOIDING EVERYTHING HE PREPARED. ((No longer allowed to do this. Obviously.))
    Last edited by Reltzik; 2016-07-02 at 04:30 PM.
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

11. - Top - End - #671
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

*Not allowed to play a mad scientist in D&D
    **Even if its the only way i'll play Curse of Strahd
    ***i rolled a paladin and must stick with people until dead - and accept the party revivle from Jennie even if i desperately want to play a Bladesinger
    ****not allowed to roll backups until the character is dead....even if i like makeing characters

*If my Marine has a higher social standing then the noble i must have a valid backstory reason
    **no 'because i read about something similar in GURPS 'Ground Force' and thought it was cool' is not a valid reason
    *** Being a professional Champion for nobles IS a valid reason how ever.....but must ask if that's a -thing- in the subsector the campaign happens in.

*do not need to repeat 'On Target' every minute if we are playing shadowrun.....yes i am playing a sniper with a police background, no it is not so ingrained in the character to do it even though one of the other players gets the joke....the DM doesnt and its annoying.
    ** do not need to say 'Tango Down' either in fact if they did it in a movie or Rainbow six its Vetoed
    *** getting more kills then the street samurai and Drone rigger combined will cause the DM to look at your rifle askance even if he approved it before the run expect your ammo to run out verrrry soon.

did i do that right ? >.>

12. - Top - End - #672
    Troll in the Playground

*I may no longer use the message cantrip to torture enemies with an hour long "Hey! Listen!"
    **If the target gives up after 5 minutes it's considered bad form to look sad...
    ***If while doing said action my DM asks what my alignment is, I may not answer "True Neutral, als known as Not Giving a ****"
    ****The fact that it ultimately remained very successful does not make it standard practice.
    *****Not to then threathen the DM with a character that is basically Havelock Vetinari during his Grand Sneer if he kills my current one...
    ******doubly so when the Vetinari Build is basically a Lorebard that's very effective at finding mages and disabeling them.

Oh, and contrary to popular belief these really all happened. I call them Last Wednesday
    Last edited by Socratov; 2016-07-02 at 06:38 PM.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

*My alchemist can only throw one bomb in a round
    **My cohorts can't throw bombs for him
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

14. - Top - End - #674

Imp

*May not make a god of bureaucracy.
    **No, I am not allowed to play Clark the Clerical Clerk.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

* Cannot make jokes about Caesar dressing.

16. - Top - End - #676

BlueWizardGirl

My Explorator/Chief Enginseer may no longer space 100 crew members on suspicion of possession, even if he was nearly killed by just one possessed auspex operator and they were likely possessed due to proximity to a Chaos Space Marine ship.
    Last edited by RelentlessImp; 2016-07-03 at 02:58 AM.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Belac93 View Post
    *May not make a god of bureaucracy.
    **No, I am not allowed to play Clark the Clerical Clerk.
    ***May not create a paladin dedicated to the cause of bureaucracy. Normal paladins are bad enough.
    Nihil Refert

18. - Top - End - #678
    Orc in the Playground

* Must not create a beholder with only one HP.
    ** Upon death, the beholder cannot fly around the room rapidly while deflating with a fffffffffffffffffffffff sound, before flopping ungraciously onto the floor as a flat piece of leather.
    *** Cannot use a balloon IRL to simulate the effect.
    *Loudly Ahems*
    Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Magica, Volume 1, pg. 151
    Carnivorous Balloon
    XP Value: — GP Value: 200
    The Book of Marvelous Magic
    This balloon floats toward any living creature that
    approaches within 10 feet. It magically moves at
    double the movement rate of its victim, but cannot
    pass through solids. When close enough, it
    attacks, automatically hitting its victim and
    inflicting 2d6 points of damage caused by blood
    draining. It inflicts 1d6 points of damage each
    subsequent round. Furthermore, it does not let go
    until either it bursts or the victim is dead.
    Gygax DID make that joke. In fact, magic balloons in ad&d are immune to all damage other than piercing or slashing damage (including most forms of magic just for extra infuriation).

So clearly, you can totally make a beholder with one hp who goes fffffffffffffffffffffff on death.
    "I speak with a voice that will never move others, I speak with a passion that will never be heard." - Kreia, KOTOR II

"I must remind them of the drama of it all." - V, V for Vendetta

Well, what's it goin' tae be, lads? Shall ay fid'le th' fid'le er fid'le yer innards?

Spoiler: GitP published Homebrew
    Show
    WARPATHS (PEACH, WIPish): Pathfinder centered martial class boost

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

* May not get annoyed at the Dm throwing a party with only one primary spellcaster against an encounter including four monsters resistant to nonmagical damage.
    ** Especially when my character spends 3 rounds attacking one of them with no indication that it isn't doing anything ('why didn't you say it didn't flinch on any of my attacks?' 'you didn't ask!'1 ).
    *** It's not the well done bait-and-switch I mind, it's the fact that we didn't get any clue as to what they actually were or their capabilities unless we asked them 'did they react to this attack?'

1It might just be because I'm so used to playing with a different GM, but I expect to hear the enemy's reactions if they aren't what's expected, seeing as I've been in a game where an enemy reacted to discovering that I was wearing armour.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Troll in the Playground

* May not get annoyed at the Dm throwing a party with only one primary spellcaster against an encounter including four monsters resistant to nonmagical damage.
    ** Especially when my character spends 3 rounds attacking one of them with no indication that it isn't doing anything ('why didn't you say it didn't flinch on any of my attacks?' 'you didn't ask!'1 ).
    *** It's not the well done bait-and-switch I mind, it's the fact that we didn't get any clue as to what they actually were or their capabilities unless we asked them 'did they react to this attack?'

1It might just be because I'm so used to playing with a different GM, but I expect to hear the enemy's reactions if they aren't what's expected, seeing as I've been in a game where an enemy reacted to discovering that I was wearing armour.
    Actually you may have quite the reason to get annoyed with said DM. He should describe the events taking place and not turn the session into a game of 'mother, may I..."
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Actually you may have quite the reason to get annoyed with said DM. He should describe the events taking place and not turn the session into a game of 'mother, may I..."
    It might also be because I'm used to a very different style of fight. I'm used to being in fights with roughly human enemies where planning can make you win in a round or two, and it's hard to be resistant or immune to anything. Heck, I personally prefer HP totals within the range of a couple of weapon attacks1, so the idea of being able to throw 60+ damage at an enemy, even if only 30 gets through, just rubs me the wrong way.

But yeah, I wasted two turns on attacking an enemy because of the combat equivalent of 'you must roll a spot check whenever you move'. I probably could have taken down one of the ones damaging the Barbarian due to how well I was rolling for damage. I know for some groups what I want might come across as needless handholding, but is 'he didn't seem to notice your crossbow bolt' and 'he flinches at the acid orb, stifling a scream' really that hard.

I mean, I'm bad at this sort of thing. This is why I don't tend to run enemies with inherent resistances, so a character doesn't spend 3 rounds attacking a guy they can't hurt. Also, call me old fanished but if there's 8 enemies then there should not be 4 with at least the hp of the party tank, plus resistance to nonmagical damage (the party was a Greataxe wielding barbarian, a spear using bard1/rogue2 [no combat spells], a tiefling sorceress, and a dragonborn fighter with a heavy crossbow, not a lot of magical damage there).

1Otherwise I prefer a more abstract damage system such as in Legends of the Wulin, where each hit might not cause damage, but does make later hits more likely to, up to taking someone out.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

It might also be because I'm used to a very different style of fight. I'm used to being in fights with roughly human enemies where planning can make you win in a round or two, and it's hard to be resistant or immune to anything. Heck, I personally prefer HP totals within the range of a couple of weapon attacks1, so the idea of being able to throw 60+ damage at an enemy, even if only 30 gets through, just rubs me the wrong way.

But yeah, I wasted two turns on attacking an enemy because of the combat equivalent of 'you must roll a spot check whenever you move'. I probably could have taken down one of the ones damaging the Barbarian due to how well I was rolling for damage. I know for some groups what I want might come across as needless handholding, but is 'he didn't seem to notice your crossbow bolt' and 'he flinches at the acid orb, stifling a scream' really that hard.

I mean, I'm bad at this sort of thing. This is why I don't tend to run enemies with inherent resistances, so a character doesn't spend 3 rounds attacking a guy they can't hurt. Also, call me old fanished but if there's 8 enemies then there should not be 4 with at least the hp of the party tank, plus resistance to nonmagical damage (the party was a Greataxe wielding barbarian, a spear using bard1/rogue2 [no combat spells], a tiefling sorceress, and a dragonborn fighter with a heavy crossbow, not a lot of magical damage there).

1Otherwise I prefer a more abstract damage system such as in Legends of the Wulin, where each hit might not cause damage, but does make later hits more likely to, up to taking someone out.
    This seems to be a DM who wants combat to take longer for dramatic tension and for the players to burn more resources to go through.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

23. - Top - End - #683
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anonymouswizard you have a valid complaint here, it states in either the DMG or MM (maybe both, can't recall off the top of my head this late after work) that any attack that seems to not deal full damage must be called out as such by the DM or player who received the reduced damage from the attack. It can be as descriptive or vague as you like, but you MUST give some indication that the attack was less effective than it should have been. Rule 0 should not be used to counter this, as it should be something the characters should be able to observe in-universe. The only time it shouldn't be called out is if they have some way to hide the reduced effectiveness, such as illusions that make the wounds appear as normal or even greater than normal (these then have their own problems such as Will saves to disbelieve and vulnerability to True Seeing).
    Elxir Breauer, at your service...

24. - Top - End - #684
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elxir_Breauer View Post
    Anonymouswizard you have a valid complaint here, it states in either the DMG or MM (maybe both, can't recall off the top of my head this late after work) that any attack that seems to not deal full damage must be called out as such by the DM or player who received the reduced damage from the attack. It can be as descriptive or vague as you like, but you MUST give some indication that the attack was less effective than it should have been. Rule 0 should not be used to counter this, as it should be something the characters should be able to observe in-universe. The only time it shouldn't be called out is if they have some way to hide the reduced effectiveness, such as illusions that make the wounds appear as normal or even greater than normal (these then have their own problems such as Will saves to disbelieve and vulnerability to True Seeing).
    Yeah, as I said I know that I personally aren't good at this sort of thing, but that's both caused and solved by my staying about a kilometre away from monsters with immunities. What was really weird and annoying is, looking back on it, there were implications of attacks doing full damage, but no implications of attacks doing partial damage. If in real life I'd failed a perception test and just hadn't heard the 'your target didn't flinch' that would be fine, but what really annoys me is the 'you didn't ask'.

I suppose it was my fault as well for being right before the initiative before the enemies acted. It's not like there was much time between 'I rolled a 13 for damage' and 'these guys move here'.

Now, part of it might be bitterness due to the fact that we fought an encounter that took ages where only one character could deal full damage, and was obviously balanced with the intent of having the DMPC along for the ride (which I have complained about to the DM multiple times, and still plan to kill him in his sleep once we leave the kingdom1).

1He's a super-rich druid prince who was originally going to be several levels higher than the party. Oh, and as far as I can tell the story revolves around him. The only reason he isn't dead yet is because the party hasn't forged a will.

Show

25. - Top - End - #685
    Troll in the Playground

This seems to be a DM who wants combat to take longer for dramatic tension and for the players to burn more resources to go through.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Yeah, no, we basically get a long rest every combat, so no burning of resources (although I still ration my Superiority Dice). The combat was dramatic but had no dramatic tension, it was basically a slog.

Now, it's entirely possible that you're right about what the GM wants, but from what I can tell they want to present hard but fun fights while having no knowledge on how to make them fun (essentially a Combat as Sport encounter with little balance, while half the party prefers Combat as War). Now I've played Combat as War games, and failing to begin with the upper hand can be fun, as can mopping the floor by preparing and luring the enemy into a trap. Here we got to recon and plan, but were only given incorrect information leading to our well excuted being worthless when it should have taken out half the enemy in the surprise round (with a sleep spell that 3 demons failed the save on but ignored, and an improvised grenade which should have wounded the rest), and we were only saved by the prisoners finally deciding to fight (compared to a fight I've played were the police we notified closed off the escape route after we managed to make our enemies flee despite being outmatched).

Show

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

* Cannot play as Bastion.
    ** In a DnD game.
    *** My character cannot be referred to as 'a sentient Ballista'.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Spamalot in the Playground

* When outfitting my D&D character, I'm not allowed to buy a stiff.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

** Cannot assume "stiff" means "corpse".

30. - Top - End - #690
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, no, we basically get a long rest every combat, so no burning of resources (although I still ration my Superiority Dice). The combat was dramatic but had no dramatic tension, it was basically a slog.

Now, it's entirely possible that you're right about what the GM wants, but from what I can tell they want to present hard but fun fights while having no knowledge on how to make them fun (essentially a Combat as Sport encounter with little balance, while half the party prefers Combat as War). Now I've played Combat as War games, and failing to begin with the upper hand can be fun, as can mopping the floor by preparing and luring the enemy into a trap. Here we got to recon and plan, but were only given incorrect information leading to our well excuted being worthless when it should have taken out half the enemy in the surprise round (with a sleep spell that 3 demons failed the save on but ignored, and an improvised grenade which should have wounded the rest), and we were only saved by the prisoners finally deciding to fight (compared to a fight I've played were the police we notified closed off the escape route after we managed to make our enemies flee despite being outmatched).
    Okay, so what I'm getting here is that this is not a 3.5 game, so I could be wrong on what I said before. I tend to default my thoughts to 3.5 or Pathfinder, so I've made bad guesses before. If so, I am sorry for the possibly faulty information.

Now for an on-topic contribution to the thread (3.P):
    *As DM, may not throw a group of 5+ Phase Spiders against a 4 person party of level 7 characters is I have no intention of killing at least one party member.
    **This goes double if the caster in the party is the only one they can grapple and go ethereal with, and the caster is not capable of dealing with casting during a grapple.
    ***The Half-Minotaur Krynn Minotaur Anti-paladin should most certainly be the tank, but I should reread his Unholy template once in a while before throwing Incorporeal Undead at the party.
    ****Yes it's my fault that the Sorceror died to the Phase Spider group (6 in this case), even though she was the one to finally make the concentration check to cast a Fireball at point-blank range. (Player had forgotten they did NOT have a Ring of Evasion, and they couldn't have used Evasion in that situation anyway).
    *****When throwing random Undead at the party, I should probably not look strictly at the CR in the book and figure they can handle it.
    Elxir Breauer, at your service...