New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing X: Bard is not a valid choice

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    But wouldn't Bizarro Florida Man be, like, a clever, effective, competent, morally-upright superhero with a lot of common sense? I mean, if you're looking for the opposite of Florida Man...
    With the headlines I've read about my state's "superhero", I think the opposite of Floridaman is like the inverse charge of a neutron. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing X: Bard is not a valid choice

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I don't think anyone wants to play as anything Floridaman.
    I've always thought he's the typical crazy PC we love to read about in the Things I May No Longer Do While Playing threads!

* Cannot play Florida Woman.
    ** Must not keep others guessing as to how she's any different from Florida Man.
    *** Should not link to a subreddit just for Florida Woman.
    **** Don't even think about trans Floridans!
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-02-23 at 07:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    I've always thought he's the typical crazy PC we love to read about in the Things I May No Longer Do While Playing threads!
    Probably, although I cringe at a lot of the things those characters do here so I'd worry. All the Florida folks need is to wear a costume and I'd have trouble telling the difference between this place and a The Tick comic book.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

All the Florida folks need is to wear a costume and I'd have trouble telling the difference between this place and a The Tick comic book.
    *"SPOON!" is not an acceptable battlecry for my superhero character.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

** 'Da flea, dadata flea now...' is not an acceptable theme song either.
    *** Even if both strike terror in the heart of my GM.
    **** The plot's existential terror counts, yes.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

*As a DM, I must show restraint when creating monsters for the campaign.
    **Only turning creatures into incoporeal undead is not restraint.
    ***Turning swarms into ability draining undead will result in books being thrown at me.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

* May not hire a bard to follow the party around and provide suitable theme music for every situation.
    ** May not point out that the music could actually give a bonus to the thief's move silently check (assuming the bard isn't literally following behind the thief).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*My valor bard with expertise in stealth and the charlatan background may not author and sell a wildly-inaccurate pamphlet on the art of camouflage and silent movement, advocating garishly-colored clothes, large hats with colorful feathers in them, heavy-soled hobnailed boots, and highly-polished gilded armor as the optimal stealth gear.
    **Even if I out-roll the rogue on stealth checks more often than not.
    ***The rogue's player having an apparently-cursed d20 IRL does not mean that my bard's choices of attire are actually better for sneaking in-universe.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

9. - Top - End - #129

** Still not allowed to attack my players with a poodle gun, animated mustaches, a yuletide of Santas, comfy furniture, a cowboy vending machine, or the Infinity Ball.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

But wouldn't Bizarro Florida Man be, like, a clever, effective, competent, morally-upright superhero with a lot of common sense? I mean, if you're looking for the opposite of Florida Man...
    Nah, it would be a clever, effective, competent, morally-upright supervillian with a lot of common sense

You made me think of Floridaman humping the backside of his enemies.

"The power of love conquers all! Let's SPOON!".
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2016-02-23 at 04:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

DwarfFighterGuy

@Jal_1138
    ****May not suggest you were "hiding in plain sight"
    *****Or that the guards didn't see you because they didn't expect to see you. They were too busy looking for dark-clad thief types rather than flamboyant bards

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

* Under no circumstances can I summon Spike Milligan as a Servant.
    ** I am to take all the blame if the Sixth Holy Grail War becomes a surreal comedy.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    ** I am to take all the blame if the Sixth Holy Grail War becomes a surreal comedy.
    ***May not ask what class he'd even be.
    ****Because I know the answer will either be Caster or something out of left field.

*No matter how high my relevant skills in magecraft and occultism are, I can not rig the Summoning so that I can Call Herekles as all six of his classes Simultaneously, Especially if I do the summoning at the Temple of Hercules so he'll get his stats ranked up.
    **I can not try the Same for Cuchulain, Scathatch, Vlad III, King Arthur, Alexander the Great, Gilgamesh, Nikola Tesla, or any other Servant who can be called as two or more Classes.
    ***Must specify that no, Nikola Telsa is most certainly not out of place in that list.
    ****When the only servant class left is Berserker, I can't hack into the Grail System so I can summon Savior instead.
    *****I can not summon Mr. Rogers as Savior.
    ******Because if I do, all the Servants and masters will be friends by the end of the week.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #134

***Must resist the obvious reference.
    **** In point of fact, with regard to said reference, Scottish Play rules are now in effect.
    ***** The fact that it turns out the Indonesian member of the group has no idea what we're on about does not mean the rule is revoked. The contagion should not be spread.
    ****** In such an environment, it might be wise for those who have got away with playing a Scottish accented Evoker by the name of Timeon to refrain from screaming 'Look at tha BONES!'
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2016-02-23 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    ***** The fact that it turns out the Indonesian member of the group has no idea what we're on about does not mean the rule is revoked. The contagion should not be spread.
    ****** May not ask if your Indonesian member also gets annoyed when the party hasn't killed anything in a while, because mine certainly did.

******* May not admit I'm formulating plans to introduce a Chinese person to roleplaying (it's a tie between 'get her husband addicted' and 'run Vampire' at the moment).

Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

As a player:
    *May not play as a druid urchin "master of vermin" who uses spiders to set up alarm-tripwires with web-sense and rats as sentries and spies.
    **May not force the DM to spontaneously invent animal NPCs for said druid urchin to interrogate, whilst ignoring all his pre-prepared normal NPCs.

As a DM:
    *May not create a dungeon filled with puzzles, each of which has a legitimate, defined solution, except for ONE room half way through called the "paranoia puzzle" where the only solution is to do nothing.
    Last edited by Squibsallotl; 2016-02-23 at 11:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

a cowboy vending machine
    *** Must not insist that a cowboy vending machine literally dispenses cowboys.
    **** This is not a boyfriend vending machine for my barbarian and my pseudopaladin.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    *** Must not insist that a cowboy vending machine literally dispenses cowboys.
    Villains from The Tick are never that straightforward.
    (and yes, the top item in the vending machine is the cowboy's brain)

Also, no sending the Swiss Army after the players.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #139

****** May not ask if your Indonesian member also gets annoyed when the party hasn't killed anything in a while, because mine certainly did.
    She's certainly somewhat fireball happy, though she's not the worst in the party for friendly fire, since the only friendly she normally fireballs is herself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    She's certainly somewhat fireball happy, though she's not the worst in the party for friendly fire, since the only friendly she normally fireballs is herself.
    Okay, doesn't quite sound like the one I had then. Interesting to hear that they're both women though. I've noticed that they can have problems with British humour though, I once annoyed her by joking she wouldn't recognise a Chinese person on sight (she's ethnically Chinese, but was being particularly oblivious race wise).

* May not attempt to bribe Skaven with peanut butter sandwiches.

Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*In a party with a tiefling Great Old One warlock who summons unholy power from the far realm, a half-orc barbarian who carries a glaive with three humanoid skulls tied onto the haft, and a human professional assassin who takes ears off his kills and threads them onto a string as proof of how many he's murdered, the scariest person in the party should not be the half-elf bard who dresses in bright cheery colors and wears a silly hat.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

* May not recruit players from multiple time zones simply so I can say "The Sun Never Sets on My Gaming Empire!"
    ** Especially not in title case.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

* May not bring a replacement character just in case I fail my overconfidence roll to interrogate the captives now and get treated for poison later.
    ** May not name this character using camelCase.
    *** He should not literally be designed as a 'SWOT Officer'.
    **** Even if upper class.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2016-02-24 at 03:11 PM.

Show

24. - Top - End - #144

*Using a fireball to kill mosquitoes is overkill
    **Even if the mosquitoes are really annoying
    ***Mosquitoes do not yield XP.

*I cannot torch the abandoned mansion instead of going in.
    **Even if the last three adventures would have been solved instantly by doing that.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

25. - Top - End - #145
    Colossus in the Playground

*No more than 3 of my characters can be based on characters from another game
    **They can not all come from the same continuity.
    ***Our ship does not have a basement.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

* The Antipaladin hit by Smite Evil does not "feel his sins crawling on his back".
    ** He already knows he's having a bad time, no need to remind him.
    *** Likewise, if he is killed, "dunked on" is not the best terminology for his condition.
    **** There are no Neutral Good skeletons with +100 evasion AC and DR 100/Slashing in any of the bestiaries.

Situations the Antipaladin should never be in again
    * Fighting a Paladin who insists on giving him the coup de grace himself, giving him the time to heal
    * In a gazebo on fire with a Succubus who can teleport him just outside
    * In the middle of a zombie horde he can control with Channel Energy
    * In the middle of a troop of soldiers he can kill with Channel Energy
    * Against any enemy with less than 18 HP while he still has an use of Channel Energy
    * Against any enemy he can Intimidate with a roll of 5 or lower
    * Against any enemy the Bard can convince to retreat with a roll of 5 or lower
    * Against any demon he may get chummy with
    * In a unisex shower room with the female halfling Dragon Disciple mage
    * In a McDonald's when he's a few silvers short of his menu
    * Working at a Suicide Hotline (1)
    * Organizing a blood donor charity picnic
    * As the only one with ranks in Healing in a volcano expedition
    * Within 10 miles of anyone capable of buffing his AC
    * In a church with the LG Conjurer
    ** In a church with the Succubus
    ** In any church
    *** In any town with a church
    * In any fortress he and the Bard can take over with Diplomacy, Intimidate and Bluff combos
    ** In any fortress he and the Bard can slaughter 80% of the soldiers and take over the other 20% with Diplomacy, Intimidate and Bluff combos
    * Flanking an enemy with the Rogue
    * Flanking an enemy with the Warrior
    * Flanking an enemy with the Dragon Disciple Monk

(1):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Context: After slaughtering a half score of soldiers and their beloved captain, one more remained trapped in a room, audibly shaken and hysteric. He tried to talk her down with an INTIMIDATE roll. She committed suicide from fright.
    Last edited by Gallade; 2016-02-26 at 06:19 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*Must not fail to recognize that no matter how effective or historically-appropriate they might be, some weapons just don't sound dramatically appropriate.
    E.g.,
    Paladin: You have my sword.
    Ranger: And my bow.
    Cleric: And my hammer.
    Bard: And my [spetum, guisarme-voulge, Bohemian earspoon, fauchard-fork, Goedendag, holy-water sprinkler+, menaulion++, plançon ŕ picot+++, krókspjót++++, etc]

+Type of mace or morningstar that supposedly resembles an aspergillium; alternatively, a type of military flail--depends on whether you're looking at the English or the French version.

++Long-bladed Byzantine spear.

+++An iron-shod club with a steel thrusting-spike on the end--a shorter, mace-length Goedendag.

++++Viking hooked spear.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

* May not attempt to find the silliest sounding weapon I can for my character.
    ** May not attempt to discover why it's specifically a Bohemian Ear Spoon.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2016-02-26 at 07:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149

* I may no longer negate the DM's strategy with a move action.
    ** I may no longer point out that I could have negated that strategy at least three other ways, none of which would have required any great effort.
    *** Look, just because I'm no longer allowed to use gravity as my personal plaything, it doesn't mean that I have to keep everyone else from using it as their plaything too.

* I am no longer allowed to point and laugh when four of the six surviving elder red dragons sparrow into our airship's invisible forcefield.
    ** I am also no longer allowed to gloat at the people who thought I was crazy to have my wizard spend months laboriously casting permanencied Arcane Barrier over and over and over all around the airship to create said invisible forcefield.

* After the DM has given the party an ancient dwarven laser cannon (don't ask), and then made the suggestion that we get it enchanted, we are no longer allowed to utterly ruin the campaign balance by discovering the Lightning Strike enchantment, which does double damage against objects. The group that is currently the largest threat to our mission uses a lot of airships. Guess what airships count as?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

* May not attempt to find the silliest sounding weapon I can for my character.
    ** May not attempt to discover why it's specifically a Bohemian Ear Spoon.
    Same reason certain very large American daggers are "Arkansas toothpicks." (An earspoon was/is a small implement for removing earwax; a medieval Q-tip of sorts. They're still in common use in some countries).

EDIT: As to Bohemia specifically, presumably the design originated there, much as with the Arkansas toothpick (invented by James Black, who also developed the Bowie knife, and who lived and smithed in Arkansas (although he wasn't a native; originally hailed from New Jersey, although he did all of his knifemaking in his adopted home state)).

ALSO EDIT: In both cases, the general naming trend is a combination of incongruous euphemism for its own sake, and the (deliberate) implication that people from those places are so badass they use terrifying large weapons as personal-hygiene implements. It's like if a Kriegsmesser was called a "Bavarian straight-razor."
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2016-02-26 at 08:13 AM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb