New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CCLI

Well that's hardly conclusive. But it's about what you believe, isn't it? No, people are what they are, I always say. Until they're something else. It is, indeed, already forgotten it. Recoloring humans' hair sounds like a silly thing to bother with when it takes a reversal of an unknown spell to accomplish it. Hardly my area of expertise, either.
    "Do you trust him, you boss?"
    I tilt my head in concern and, oh, why not take another sip of my drink at the moment. This sounds like a very dangerous power the human has. But then, there's 'unpleasant assignment' bad and 'fear for your life' bad and probably this is only the former. So far. Maybe it would be interesting if it got worse...

No, too many unknowns. I turn the conversation to other things.
    "Where did you get that stylish bit of magic around you?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Clara shakes her head.
    "I trust him not to give me anything dangerous, 'cause he'd be one of the first victims. And I trust him not to do anything that would be too expensive, since if he made me a dragon he'd be paying for my food bills. But otherwise, no, I wouldn't trust him to be reasonable unless there's money involved.

I don't really know what you mean. I'm not really magic aside from my family magic. That what you mean?"
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #273

I shake my head. She doesn't know? How curious. Maybe it came from her business.
    "No, there's a sort of illusion on you. To make you more, well, fit for the stage. Like this-"
    The glass is carefully set down in front of me, and I copy the glamour over to myself. It's a simple enough thing, and I have an example right in front of me to copy. I make it a little more thorough, a little more powerful. Such style, such poise! I am unique and perfect, and such a thing cannot go unrecognized.

"You didn't do it on purpose?"
    My voice is teasing, because it's so obvious that I have. It's a worry though. One shouldn't walk around not knowing what's been done to them. Ah, perhaps she's embarrassed to have it pointed out?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Clara shakes her head, still confused. This sure is a strange cat...person. The voice sounds vaguely female. Is this strange person a lady?
    "I took a bath in a spring that supposedly had some glamour to it. Maybe that's what it did?" she suggests.

5. - Top - End - #275

I dial down the glamorousness and lean in a little closer to this odd human. Woman, as I've gathered from the hierophants. I give a nod to her unasked question.
    "An enchanted spring could certainly have left this on you. I don't suppose you recall the way there? I can foresee wuite a learning opportunity in it."
    It's a good suggestion.
    "Oh but I can't ask you such a thing while you're tired. Perhaps another time."
    I really did forget for a moment. Normal beings get tired so easily.
    "You're lucky it didn't turn you into a bear or something. Though I guess it could have made you immortal just as easily. Magical pools are...well, unpredictable?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Clara nods.
    "Yeah, I guess I am lucky. I'd heard good things about the place, so I don't think it could have been that bad. Still, changing much about me would have been awful. I'm glad it's something I didn't even notice much." she admits.

7. - Top - End - #277

"Awful? But it sounded like you change so much for your performances!"
    I am almost concerned. I don't want to reveal too much about what I know, what's obvious about her.

"Rest assured. Others will notice it."
    I take another drink and shiver.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, yeah, but if I retire that won't happen again. This is me. So, what I look like naturally is still important. It's how I was born, y'know?" she says in response.
    What's obvious about her? You'll have to be more specific, Ms. Narrator.

9. - Top - End - #279

I shake my head. While I have generally been a traditionalist when it comes to self-modification, there's a bit too much of defeatism in Clara's words.

Woah. That was dizzying. That last sip was perhaps too much of a gulp. I straighten myself out a bit.
    "Doesn't mean you have to stay that way. I mean, can't you imagine staying in character forever? Watch this!"
    I don't ask her to hold my drink. The counter can do that just, just fine.
    And I place a simple little glamour over the two of us. Clara should be 'red-headed', as the description is (silly little animals with their lack of fur) and my own coat changes color to match, with only my spots retaining a trace of the old tawny coloration.

"Do you not know about that spell either? The one that changed how you were born? Do you not go in to a wizard for a check-up every six-months like you should?"
    Tsk-tsk.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Clara raises an eyebrow. As her bangs don't hang over her eyes, she doesn't realize that anything's changed about herself; she only notices the change in her companion.
    "Staying in character just means I'd never have a break from the craziness I'm sure my boss is cooking up. Once my contract with him is up it might get better, but as long as he's got it I'm not so ready to jump on that." she says, before hearing the rest and narrowing her eyes.
    "I haven't a clue what you're talking about."

11. - Top - End - #281

I wave a tentacle, pointing out Clara's reflection in her glass.
    "You wouldn't naturally have been born this way. There's a magic working making you a lot like more your mother."
    My head sways back and forth, a shrug.
    I wonder about her boss. Maybe I could influence him to cast things a certain way. Just give him an idea. Pieces are coming together. Can't let a bit of it slip; that would be a positively mouselike thing to do.

"I suppose choosing your own roles is a luxury most people don't have." I incline my head sympathetically, eyes soulful.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Clara chuckles a bit.
    "Well, I've had my suspicions about that for a while. Mom's never been exactly normal. But with no offense, I'm not really going to just trust someone I just met about something like that with no proof. And yes, I won't have the ability to choose my own roles until I become a big enough name that people approach me. That's how it works."

13. - Top - End - #283

My eyes narrow, I frown. For all that she claims no offense, she made little effort not to give it. There is nothing suitable to say in response. Most likely, I will be unable to find this fountain. I can ask around for other rumors, at the least.

I take a deep drink from my glass. More than I should have had at once. The glass tumbles from my grip. It spins forever, end over end, never spilling. I hold tight to my seat. I'm really rather busy.
    "You're just like all the others."
    I say without really thinking it through. Even I'm not sure what I mean by that. The words slur together. I can't focus. That's fine, I'm not working here.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Clara looks surprised, and a little concerned.
    "What? Come on, you're trying to convince me that my dad magic'd me before I was born. That's not something anyone's just going to accept right away without any proof, is all I'm saying. Hey, are you okay? Maybe that drink was a bit strong for you." she says, trying to offer a steadying hand to the cat.

15. - Top - End - #285

It is suggested that I refrain from trying to eat her. I comply. Thanks, little goodly voice. That's some choice advice.
    How do you get rid of a, a thing like this? I sway. I bare my teeth at her. It might not make exactly the right impression but it should do more or less.
    I mumble together a sentence. "I was just making conversation, it ain't my fault if you're too, too skeptical."
    "Now-" I pause, trying to remember the proper curses. My head droops to the bartop. Countertop? This flat thing.
    "Leave me alone."

I try to drink the whole rest of the glass. That ought to knock me right out.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Clara shakes her head.
    "Well, I'm sorry. I just wanna know how you know that. But- hey! Don't drink that! You wanna pass out?" she says, reaching to take the glass.
    "Here, take this. You'll feel better, I promise. And don't you be skeptical now." she says, pulling a little medicine case out of her purse and withdrawing a small orange gel-pill. Easy to swallow for everyone; Clara's never seen these fail for someone in need of some drink-related assistance.

17. - Top - End - #287

I fall out of my chair laughing.
    I'm a little annoyed at having my drink taken, but this is so funny.
    "You won't take harmless noticefication from me?"
    "But you expect me to take a pill from you?"

It's a little while before I can say anything else. Too busy laughing, tail flicking here and there.
    But then I scan the pill for curses and lick it down anyway. Then up I sit.

"You're the most hypocritical person I have ever met."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

The little potion-cap works rather quickly, purging the effects of alcohol.
    Clara, for her part, looks a little bit confused and annoyed. And a bit embarrassed, since the observation is entirely valid.
    "Well, I mean, I honestly didn't expect you to just accept it without asking about what it was supposed to do first, just like how I asked. And I didn't not take your uh, notification. I just asked how you knew, is all. That's not the same as not believing you."

19. - Top - End - #289

"No you di'nt." I protest. "You just said you wouldn't trust it, because you didn't know me. Anyway, I inspected the pill before I took it. Made sure it was safe. It's quite something."

I get back on my chair and face Clara, leaning in.

"I know because it's...obvious? From looking at you? I read it in the notes of the script, but also I have a sense of these things." I shrug. It's hard to explain these things. But Clara probably won't ask many questions. I give her a wink. Let's see what she thinks of it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Clara shakes her head, confused.
    "Well, alright. I don't know a thing about magic, really, so I can't expect myself to understand what you mean by that. But...it's not something I have to worry about, right? It's not like it's going to change any time soon. So I guess it isn't that big of a deal." she says quietly. She's not sure what to think about this. Maybe she shouldn't have brought it up and just let this cat-person ask about her roles.

21. - Top - End - #291

I pout and turn a little bit away.
    "Well I was going to offer to help you look into it, but maybe it'd be best if we forget about the whole thing." I twitch my ears, suggesting.

"What's life like outside the theatre? I've read a lot about this world, but it's still all so new to me, and it's not the same as hearing from the people who live it. Not really."
    You couldn't say my tail was wagging, exactly. Wrong length. But it's waving back and forth.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Clara gives the cat a sidelong glance, considering it.
    "Look into it how? Like, about my father, or about the magic itself?

It's a decent enough place, really. The city's kind if you have a good place to start at least. And as much as I'll complain about who I have to play, I don't expect to go hungry any time soon with my job as set in as it is."
    she admits.

23. - Top - End - #293

"The magic itself." I reply matter-of-factly.
    "I wouldn't know anything about your father. I mean, not much."

I grin. These secrets are some of the best part of our life.
    Then the smile vanishes.
    "My work's not actually allowed in the city. So we usually don't go any further in than this tavern."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, do you think you could take a closer look at it, or did you have someone else in mind?" she asks. Maybe she could use this to find out about her father.
    "But...your work's illegal? Why's that?" it certainly sounds worrying.

25. - Top - End - #295

"I certainly could take a closer look. You don't know very much about your father? He had a power like yours, you know."
    I frown. That's sad for humans, who generally have meaningful relationships with their fathers.
    "We help people stop being what they are, if they want to be something else. It's because one of the Powers of this realm is quite foolish. The law cannot actually impede us, but you know, it's cute to indulge it."

I laugh, happily, pulling my tentacles back. This person is nice. Even if her powers are weird.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Clara nods.
    "Yeah, I knew that. And that's mostly all I knew. If you want to take a look at it, you're welcome to.
    But you're like Evolution Industries, then? I guess that seems fine."
    she says, misunderstanding a bit.

27. - Top - End - #297

"Will do-"
    I stop myself before saying his name.
    "What is a good way to get in contact with you, if I find things out?"

I nod, smiling.
    " That's a good name. We haven't had anything official, but that might just go up on the signs."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

His? Just who's 'he' here, Ms. Narrator? Surely you've figured out by now that Clara's a lady.
    "Well, you can't just take the name of a company someone's already got! Well, you totally can, but they might be upset about it. Either way, here, it's my phone number. I didn't catch your name, though." she says, scrawling a number on a piece of napkin.

29. - Top - End - #299

Sorry, heirophant. The generic archaic single-person pronoun defaults to female in our language, but it's male translated into this one. I mean her, this Clara that I'm talking to.

I get lost in thought, investigating.
    "Oh, no. We're not like them. But we'll take the name anyway. It's pithy."

I sweep up the napkin and put it in a bag (I have a belt-harness thing with lots of pouches and pockets, remember?). We'll figure out how to get phone coverage out to home later. Might need an astral phone cord.

"Thanks. I'm 'A Place for Every Thing and Everything in its Place'." I give the closest expression of my name, although it really doesn't translate quite right. "You might want to call me by something shorter. 'Order' will do." What a nice color! I may have to redecorate. Look how it goes with, hmm, I should really keep students around for contrast, if nothing else...but not at times like this.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2016-04-06 at 09:35 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, well okay. That's an interesting name. Call me Clara." she says with the utmost honesty. It's not often you meet people with a name like that. Clara takes a sip of her drink, finally.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2016-04-06 at 09:43 AM.