New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Streets of Atalya Volume Two: Tentacles

Vodette

Vodette continues to chuckle and nod her head just enough to maintain a polite listening front. Her eyes wander around the room looking for anything that may be out of place.

So thats it? We're leaving? Why does it feel like we haven't gotten anything yet? And why is everyone acting so strangely? What has happened to them that has changed them so much in that short period we were away from them? Everything is just creating more questions. We need to find an answer somewhere!

Will this Jennaris fellow have the answers we're looking for?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failyn Sunswift, Human Monk
    Init +7 HP 40/40 Bloodied 20 Healing Surge 10 (0 used /7)
    AC 23 Fort 18 Reflex 22 Will 17 Speed 6
    Str 16 (+3) Con 10 (0) Dex 20 (+5) Int 8 (-1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

Spoiler
    Show
    If all the world is a stage....I want better lighting.

Nobody suspects the penguin
    Both avatars by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #752
    Barbarian in the Playground

Horacio

I think they got a prophecy that hit a little too close to home, and they're realizing something is seriously wrong beneath the surface of their family. If they're scared it'll be like when Aerin died...

...I don't blame them for acting like this. Don't worry, Vodette, it'll fall into place sooner or later. We'll figure out what's causing this and cut it off before it does any damage.
    Last edited by Mike_Lemmer; 2007-11-29 at 01:43 AM.
    PCs: Horacio, Gorby, Helionaluxis

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Sharing a regretful moment with Horacio in the kitchen, Daewell finishes his cocoa in the kitchen, and then heads back into the living room. Pulling out the cube, he focuses next on the chamber they've just left in the temple of Xan Yae.

Let's see if this thing will take us back through the temple's defenses. If not, I believe the portal will simply fail to open. Good to establish the limits of this thing when it's not quite so life-and-death.

He pauses and turns to Aurora.

Madam, a pleasure meeting such a vibrant and capable practitioner. I'd be delighted to compare notes further after...after all this is over.

He slips a pair of fingers into a small pocket, and withdraws a small rectangle of paper.

My card. Oh, and I suppose that that might prove useful, should you need to try to scry us or connect by magical means in the days ahead.

He becomes sombre, and glances towards the bedroom.

I'm...very sorry if we've added to any sorrow in your lives. It seems our lot to increase turmoil before we settle it.

Smiling wryly, he looks at each of Vodette, Horacio and Kumaru.

All set?

He sets the cube down on the ground and stares down at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft (1d20+26)[37] to activate the cube again.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #754
    Halfling in the Playground

OOC: Just ignore that last line... hopefully this elf WILL leave and let me sneak behind him soon enough.

"Maricaur, hyes. Hmy buthineth? Iht thould have been explained thowoughwy. Thtuff motht thecret, I athure hyou.

Hmy name thould thuffithe."

He draws himself up and looks utterly pompous, placing his hand over his heart, somewhat awkwardly since his wrist is surrounded by overly ornate ruffles which do not quite fit.

5. - Top - End - #755

Horacio

Horacio nods silently, glancing over at Daewell as he concentrates. He turns back to Aurora.

"Tell Nightfang & Scarlet we'll do what we can, Aurora..."

He stays silent after that until they've warped.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Orc in the Playground

Vodette

Quickly adding on to the end of Horacio's sentence.

And that we'll always be around to lend a hand when we can. Give Nightfang our best.

Vodette moves next to Dae and nods.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Both avatars by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #757

BlackDragon

(I'm sorry if this took a little while, it's not going to be a solitary occurrence: classes, job, and Christmas in general have jumped on my ass and started squealing, "faster, pony, faster!" I will be as forthcoming as I can, but expect frequent gaps in posting until January. I will make up for it by giving you more naked ladies. Voila.)

Nightfang's Living Room-

Aurora smiles, a little, and takes Daewell's card.

"I'm sure everything'll work out alright... more or less. The gods play with the mortals they like, but they always put their toys back, ne? Have a safe and swift journey, my friends."

The cube opens into the portal once more in the same spectacular manner, and deposits them back into a room that looks like the temple. Except, not exactly the same room they were in before...

"Ahem."

Turning around, Vodette, Horacio, and Daewell find themselves confronting whom Horace recognizes as the temple's senior priestess of Xan Yae, stepping out of her shower wearing a couple of wash cloths and a decidedly disgruntled expression.

"I'll want to study that thing when you're done with it," she says remarkably casually, "Door's to your left."

Arnie's House-

"Ah, so you DID manage to find him, then? Wonderful, wonderful. Yes, please, do come in! Ah, Tokugal, no, this ensemble would not work for you, a think perhaps a darker tone, maybe something in indigo? Delightful contrast with your hair... ah, but you have questions for me? Sit, please, make yourselves at home. The tree was a special order, yes, eastern cherry with a bit of willow to make the branches more whippy. It looks fantastic in a proper wind, for all of ten seconds. But you have questions for me. Please, please, I am a wellspring of gossip and I have earfuls for you, what do you need to know now? Someone's dress size? Or would it be more about demonic swords? Not my area of expertise, but I do enjoy the occasional bout of frantic ecclectic research..."

Aerin's Dad's Place-

The sexually ambiguous elf glares down at Dai with vicibly growing frustration in his twitching eye. The maid pokes her head out of the hallway behind it and stage whispers, "Urge to kill! Rising!"

"DON'T YOU HAVE SOME FINGERS TO MAKE INTO SANDWICHES!?"

"Eep! Yes sir!"

*twitch* "...I will inform the master that you are here."

It stomps off, leaving Dai and Terry momentarily alone, to do whatever it is they want to do.

(For the record, -should- he recognize the name? And if so, precisely how intimidated should he be?)
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

8. - Top - End - #758

Horacio

Horacio quickly turns his eyes away.

"Of course, Your, um, er- We'll get back to you on that once we've worked out the kinks."

Horacio quickly exits, stage left, and heads back for their rooms. Once they arrive there...

Well, Kumoru, let's discuss it...

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Mutely, Daewell feels the blood rush back into his cheeks. He turns to pick up the cube, and quickly slides it away. He slips out of the room with the others.

The kinks? Oh, he meant the endpoint confirmation protocol.

Erm. Sorry about that, all. Still a few rough points to go over.

She seemed nice, though.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #760

Horacio

Horacio nods. "You don't become a head priestess of Xan Yae if you can't keep your cool in unusual situations. She's quite tolerant."

I won't tell him that she can also walk through walls, knows how to use four dozen poisons, and could kill him by tomorrow if she didn't like him.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

High priestess? Oh. Well, perhaps an apology note when this is all over would be appropriate.

Daewell's mind, though, is clearly already on to other matters.

Vodette, if you still need to do some shopping, I'd be pleased to show you some of the more reputable merchants in town. There may be a few items I'd like to pick up myself.

12. - Top - End - #762

Horacio

"That apology better have study notes on the Port Cube, then.

"And if you can't find something with the more 'reputable' merchants, I know plenty of trustworthy places to get them from the black market."

But first, I think Kumoru wants to explain something.

13. - Top - End - #763

OOC: Dai was pulling it out of his backside.

Dai starts looking around, trying to find anything that would seem to his eyes to be connected to Aerin. He affects a bored look, expecting the angry elf to be back soon, and ripe for another line of baloney.

14. - Top - End - #764

Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal had a bemused grin as Arnie led them inside. "Yes, we found Nightfang. He and Scarlet are quite an impressive couple. Helped, too. And we met that demonic sword. And...wow! So much has happened in the last 48 hours, I could hardly begin to recount it all. When it's all done, we'll get together over some warm drinks and I'll fill you in. You could appreciate the tale."

"There are a couple of specific things I was wondering. You were the one to introduce Aerin and Gaudemus, right? How did that go, and what did you think of their romance? I was also wondering if there was anywhere that they considered their 'special place.'"

After the discussion of Aerin and Gaudemus, Tokugal asked, "You seem to have a rather eclectic body of knowledge, so perhaps you've heard something about this: is it possible to raise a dead body and empower it with psionic energy--sort of like a psionic lich? What would that sort of process take, and who would have the power to do such a thing?"
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

15. - Top - End - #765
    Orc in the Playground

Vodette

Vodette quickly scurries out of the bathroom after Horacio and Dae.

Actually, I'd be interested in both of your offers. I'm not exactly sure what I want, though. Maybe it'll be one of those "I know it when I see it" moments. Plus, shopping is just so much fun, why not go? Any idea how much time we'll have before we have to meet up with the others?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Both avatars by Ceika

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Well, I'm heading over to the Academy, which tends to specialize in spells and magical writings, but there's also a smithy near there that has a fair range of weapons and armour. It might be a useful place for you to start.

17. - Top - End - #767

Horacio

"Academy? Smithy?" Horacio thinks for a moment. "Tahlion showed me something last night I'd like you to look into, Daewell: she had a memory of a glowing, sparking hammer that dripped blood."

Tahlion, could you show him an image of the hammer?

"My guess is it has something to do with her forging... and Kinslayer's.

"...She would also like to know if there's any way to manipulate a construct. Now that she remembers what it's like to be an elf, she would like to be able to walk on her own again."

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Upon receiving the image of the hammer, Daewell nods.

I can certainly do a bit of research into the hammer, although it'll be tomorrow rather than today, if I'm to be getting to both the academy and the Bastion.

As for Tahlion's desire for increased flexibility - I'm sure it's possible, and it would be an honour to serve in assisting to do so...but that'll need to wait until after the crisis. Such work is usually time consuming, and I'd hate to get it wrong by rushing it.

19. - Top - End - #769

Horacio

Horacio nods. "Of course. If you think of a faster way to take care of it temporarily, let us know, okay?"

Horacio turns back to Kumoru, awaiting what he has to say.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

The wizard shrugged.

I am less familiar with the intricacies of mentalism. Perhaps Vera could assist with something in the interim - a way to make the internal be expressed externally?

21. - Top - End - #771

Horacio

"Vera and I are already going through psionic exercises with Tahlion. She has a knack for it. We'll see what unfolds."

Horacio pats Tahlion's hilt.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Bugbear in the Playground

Terry looks quietly at Dai. Though his body language reads bored mercenary hireling, he subtly pantomimes a hand at Dai. He vaguely wishes he could speak telepathically.
    We'll scope the whole house out later. I'm good at that. Besides, they might have magical scrying on their foyer. Man, does Dai have any mental wards like I do? Man, I hope so.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

23. - Top - End - #773

"Being kehpt hwaiting ith tho boring. Ooh. That looks interwethting, and hwe ah guethtth."

Dai searches like a bored fop; that is, quickly.

{No sense in wasting time, and it's not like this is out of character for this persona..."

24. - Top - End - #774

BlackDragon

The Temple of Xan Yae-

Tahlion does indeed show Daewell an image of a smithing hammer surrounded by a flaming aura and dripping blood. It looks remarkably like images he may have seen of Moradin's holy symbol, but is clearly a far darker piece of imagery.

Kumoru just smiles at the priestess as they leave, though his expression becomes much more grim afterwards. "It's really just making the most of what we know. There's clearly some malefactor at work that we can't guess at, a third or fourth party who's manipulating events in subtle ways. Trying to randomly figure out whom that other party is would take too long, but in the course of a few days I can narrow it down. I'm going to find my father's grave. And make sure he's in it."

Arnie's House-

Arnie smiles fondly at the memories. "Ah, yes, I suppose you could say I introduced them, but it was serendipity really. They met in the garden while Aerin's father and I discussed things, and when we came out they two of them were just hitting it off like nobody's business. Her father didn't seem too keen on it, at first, but Gaudemus could be pretty charming when he put his mind to it, and, well, he was worth quite a lot of money."

The matchmaker pauses and taps his chin while he searches his mind. "They made quite a couple, at least in public. There were rumors that the courtship and the marriage were troubled, of course, but looking at them, who wouldn't assume as much? I never saw them look at each other with anything but affection, though. And they were certainly a match for one another, I must say. I remember one gala I attended while they were engaged, some terribly whorish noblewoman was chasing poor Gaudemus around and trying to seduce him or something. Finally in desperation he brought Aerin over and said oh have you met my fiance? And Aerin said she was feeling somewhat tired and could they perhaps turn in for the evening?"

A smile slowly stretches across the pale, thin face. Firethena perks up.

"Oh, hey, I remember that. When they turned to leave the bitch calls after them that she felt sorry for Gaudemus, since his 'lover doesn't appear to have that much stamina.'"

"Precisely!" crows Arnie, "Such a thing to say, and in such company! Gaudemus... well, you couldn't read his expression under that helmet, but his eyes were literally glowing red."

"They only did that when he was about to kill someone," Firethena supplies.

"Well, the poor dumb thing should have been grateful Aerin was there, because she just laid a hand on his arm, turned towards her, and she says,'Oh, dear, you don't understand, I'm only tired because he used up all of my stamina three times this morning, and that does take it out of a girl.'"

"Place was already quiet, but it went dead silent with that," Firethena chortles.

"But the best part," laughs Arnie, "is after that, Aerin looks the woman up and down, and adds, 'but you look remarkably well-rested, so I suppose you wouldn't understand.'"

"Look on her face was priceless," giggles Firethena.

"Then they get to the door," continues Arnie, "and Gaudemus stops, pulls off his helmet, dips Aerin almost to the floor, and plants one on her like he'd just gotten out of prison. It was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. You can't tell me two people who can put on a performance like that don't have chemistry."

His reaction to Tokugal's second question is the polar opposite- his face goes carefully blank, and he slips his hands behind his back, cocking his head to one side in apparent curiosity.

"Psionic liches? Really, my friend, what makes you think I'd know anything about that sort of thing?"

Aerin's Father's House-

The foyer is fairly typical as far as rich folks' foyers go- a few bits of plush furniture, and some ostentatious knick knacks. There are a couple of paintings, and all of them seem to feature the same, tall, stern-looking elven man with dark, unusually straight hair, and a somewhat surly disposition. One of the paintings features him riding a horse and holding aloft an elven lightblade in a typical aristocrat's portrait fashion. Another appears to be a family portrait, and shows him standing next to a somewhat plump and dull-looking elven woman, with what appears to be their son standing between them.

The third portrait is probably the most interesting- far more lifelike than the other two, it features the elven man in a much more natural pose underneath a beautiful tree in the middle of what appears to be a colorful garden. His expression is somewhat confused, if slightly amused. There's something oddly familiar about the brushwork.

While you're waiting, the maid tip-toes back into the room with a plate of finger sandwiches. "Ah, sirs? If you are hungry, um, I do have some snacks prepared..."

She pauses, looks around, and then continues in a hushed voice, "but you'd probably be better off just leaving, please? The master of the house is in very poor health, especially since the deaths of his wife and son a few years back. I beg you not to strain him overmuch. He's given me a very generous paycheck, and I doubt there;ll be much severence pay if he kicks the bucket."

(Sorry that pause was so long, I had hoped to get on more often than that, but I caught pneumonia or something a few days ago and I've kind of been swimming in and out of consciousness since. >_> I'm feeling better now, tho.)
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

25. - Top - End - #775

Tokugal Ardolin

The story brought tears to Tokugal's eyes, and his cheeks felt stretched from smiling and laughing. When he caught his breath, "I'm glad to hear that it seemed genuine. So little is, anymore--especially in circles of power. What was it that brought them together so strongly, do you think?"

His brows came together as he treated the question as a sincere one, not merely a dodge. "First, you have a remarkable breadth of knowledge. That's been apparent both times we've visited; and it's something I've always aspired to attain, so it stuck out in my mind. It's true that people read too much into brief impressions, so maybe I'm idealizing a quality that I admire. On the other hand, you admit a love for 'eclectic research;' and I have no idea how widely those researches have ranged unless I ask. Third, you strike me--and I told Vera and Firethena as much--as a man who makes matches for the sheer pleasure of it, but that you're far deeper than you let on. Again, I might be wrong; and if so, forgive me."

"Last...well, it might be significant to our quest--but even more, someone's life may depend upon figuring this stuff out. He's not quite--not yet--a friend, but he seems a good man. I guess there's a part of me that's desperate to help him and keep him from dying. Maybe I'm making too many assumptions too quickly about people I meet, but...."

He glanced at Vera and Firethena for some indication how much he should disclose about Kumoru's condition, then proceeded cautiously. "We seem to have encountered such a creature--such a man. This man I mentioned, actually. He's different than anything I've ever read or heard or assumed about liches. None of the rotting, none of the negative energy, none of the malevolence you hear about. Apparently, he didn't even do it to himself--it was done to him." He shook his head. "I don't even know if that's accurate, this is so far out of my experience. One of my old mentors--a former employer--tried to go the way of lichdom. That's why I left, actually: as soon as I saw where his interests were directed, I didn't want any part of it. He was doing it the traditional way--phylactery, unspeakable evil, and all that. I found a little Vecna action golem stowed in one of his drawers, with a 'Power Punching Hand' that flew off when you pressed a button on the thing's back. Not the sort of business I wanted to get mixed up with. Would have been better for him if he left it alone, too: I hear a failed transformation is a bad way to go."

"This situation seems worlds apart from that one, though. Totally different. So I'd like to help, if I could. If you don't know anything--although I did notice that your question wasn't a denial--then I'll ask elsewhere. If there's a chance that you can point us in the right direction, as you have before, then I'm willing to ask odd questions and hope that somewhere there's an answer."
    Last edited by PolkaBear; 2007-12-06 at 01:23 AM.
    "So it works in practice. Who cares? Does it work in theory?"
    Spoiler
    Show

PolkaBear by Ceika | Eckher by Wayril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Characters: Clunch Lian
    PolkaBear avatar courtesy of Ceika

26. - Top - End - #776

Horacio

Horacio nods. "I wouldn't be surprised... if something happens, could you give us a few clues we might follow up on? Like his name, or where he kept his lab; whoever said the dead tell no tales never tried rooting through their stuff."

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

Daewell nods, waiting until after Kumaru has had a chance to respond to Horacio's questions.

Would you like a...lift? I think that, with the cube, there's a good chance I could get you to the place where you'd be starting your search, anyway.

28. - Top - End - #778

BlackDragon

The Temple-

Kumoru shakes his head, slowly. "Thanks, Daewell, but I'll be fine on my own. It's... kind of personal. I need to do this my own way. But I think I can get some answers soon enough for it to matter."

He glances at Horacio.

"And I'll be sure to contact you as soon as I know something. If I need to. If my dear old dad is still up and around, it'll be hard to miss the fireworks when I catch up with him."

Arnie's Place

Arnie listens quietly to Tokugal, visibly wrestling with an internal decision. He pauses for a long moment, then, "...I would like to help you in that area, really, but I can't-"

"Oh, just tell him what you know you old fossil," Firethena interjects with a huff. "We all know you're a lich already."

Arnie's eyes literally shoot out of their sockets, rebound off the wall, and then bounce along the ground for a second before coming to a stop in front of Vera. She looks vaguely ill.

"I AM NOT ow ow ow damnit someone help me find those please thanks."

"... oh, yeah, you're not undead at all, nope..."

"I said I wasn't a lich," Arnie mutters sulkily, which is a really wierd effect on a guy with no eyes. "And I'm not. I'm not technically undead. I'm a chosen one of Evening Glory."

"... so... deathless...?"

Arnie shakes his head. "Evening Glory is neither good nor evil, she only preaches blind love, and accepts that this contains elements of both. I don't channel negative or positive energy, I just... channel -her- energy. It's rare, and it's usually unstable unless a deity is involved, but beings have been known to remain alive beyond physical death simply because they were exposed to a source of energy that kept their souls connected to their corporeal frame. The most common example is a psion who was able to stave off death for a period of some years by feeding off of psionic energy he'd kept stored withing dorge stones. Attempts have been made to duplicate the process, but the closest anyone's come is to create a sort of psionic lich, which is really just psionics mixed with necromancy. Is that more or less what your sort of friend is dealing with?" he asks at last, glancing at Tokugal.

29. - Top - End - #779

Horacio

Horacio frowns.

That still doesn't answer my questions, Kumoru. *sigh* Just assure me our info about him won't die with you...

"We'll watch out. Meet me in the Black Room before you leave, okay?"

He turns to Daewell & Vodette. "You two can head off, I've already done my shopping for today. I'll catch up with the researchers; the scouters probably wouldn't appreciate me interrupting them.

"If you have any more research to do later, Dae, I'd suggest doing it here. I think Vera wants to look at that travel cube with you. She's an expert on interplanar travel, and she can get you back here if you find another 'kink' in the workings."

(OOC: Mags, how many posts would Horacio have to wait to join up with Tokugal & the gals? Could Horacio even figure out where they went, either by a note left behind or by contacting Vera telepathically? I'd like to meet up with them while they're still at Arnie's.)

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Daewell

I will take that...under advisement, uh, Hor. Nonetheless, I am of course more familiar with the work of my own lab. Perhaps I could contact Firethena about working together there. But my next research must be undertaken at the Bastion, not at this church.

He smiles, and turns to Vodette.

Shall we, madam?