New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I think these particular tweets contain enough context to stand on their own; as opposed to the question-and-answer routine a few years ago, where the Giant's tweets were just the answers.
    I'd like to know what the Giant is confirming as "correct" in the second tweet.

Edit:

The question being answered is

So it did not exist before this instantiation? This is its first experience?
    Given this, I'd suggest transcribing the second tweet as "[Greg did not exist before possessing Durkon], though obviously..." if it is to be transcribed.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2018-02-14 at 04:59 PM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

2. - Top - End - #632
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Looks like these are valid to include, except the item about Malack and "Durkon" being free-willed, which is redundant with this quote.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Firbolg in the Playground

Here's a minor quote that seems to have slipped the thread's notice:
    On the increased use of half-panels.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I’d be okay with including, probably under the art section, I’m guessing.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I’d be okay with including, probably under the art section, I’m guessing.
    I find that "The comic is using more half-page images" is not something we need to record as having been verified by the author. We can just point to the comic and state that indeed, there is more of them than there used to.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #636
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm inclined to think that his answer is indicative of there being no valid information there as well: he's using more half-pages because he's using more half-page splash panels. It's an inch away from a tautology.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah, I err on the side of inclusion more than the average person here, but I also don’t think that merits indexing.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Been a busy week....

• Vampires being negative energy spirits shaped by its hosts darkest impulses...is expressly stated in the comic. We already have quotes about assuming accuracy in the text and dialog conveying non-visual information, so I'm not seeing what makes this specific instance of the general case to be worth including. (If I'm reading all these recent posts right, that makes it 5 in favor of including it, 3 against)
    • Hel preloading HPoH with instructions during his inception seems new, and probably worth including. (8 for, 0 against)
    • The tweet about vampires and free will...well, what I find interesting about it is the opening sentence tying species to which deity the vampire spirit; I remember some posts contesting whether Hel would be responsible for creating the vampire spirit for a dwarf would worshipped a pantheon other than the Northern gods, so this seems viable enough to include. (2 for, 6 against)
    • As for half-panels and half-panels....Well, I want to make some comment about half-and-half and homogenization, but I suspect I'd be trying to milk more value out of the post than it actually contains...so I'm thinking it doesn't need to be included. (2 for, 4 against)
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #639

WolfInSheepsClothing

Been a busy week....

• Vampires being negative energy spirits shaped by its hosts darkest impulses...is expressly stated in the comic. We already have quotes about assuming accuracy in the text and dialog conveying non-visual information, so I'm not seeing what makes this specific instance of the general case to be worth including. (If I'm reading all these recent posts right, that makes it 5 in favor of including it, 3 against)
    • Hel preloading HPoH with instructions during his inception seems new, and probably worth including. (8 for, 0 against)
    • The tweet about vampires and free will...well, what I find interesting about it is the opening sentence tying species to which deity the vampire spirit; I remember some posts contesting whether Hel would be responsible for creating the vampire spirit for a dwarf would worshipped a pantheon other than the Northern gods, so this seems viable enough to include. (2 for, 6 against)
    • As for half-panels and half-panels....Well, I want to make some comment about half-and-half and homogenization, but I suspect I'd be trying to milk more value out of the post than it actually contains...so I'm thinking it doesn't need to be included. (2 for, 4 against)
    • I think an explicit answer to a question that has been raised (is Greg's information on the nature of vampires completely accurate or colored by his biases and character flaws) is worth including despite the fact that we have some general answers already, since it's come up multiple times on the forum.
    • I've said my piece on this one.
    • This tweet is almost directly duplicative of the other vampire cleric post we have. I don't think the implication that Malack's vampire was made by Nergal because of his race is enough to warrant inclusion.
    • Someone wondered why there were more half-panels and the Giant's answer was essentially "because I like them". Not really seeing any information there.

(I'm not sure how this adjusts your counts)
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2018-02-16 at 02:56 PM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unbeliever536 View Post
    I've said my piece on this one.
    Your piece doesn't seem to include a preference on whether or not it should be included, though.

11. - Top - End - #641

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your piece doesn't seem to include a preference on whether or not it should be included, though.
    Oh. Um, oops. Count me in favor please.

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Brew:

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

OK; that would put the first tweet right at the threshold to be included without the possibility of a vote, the second tweet retains unanimous support, and the other two are under water (which probably means it's a little late for them to get ponchos).

That makes the tentative list....
    The Nature of Vampirism
    "...a negative energy consciousness created in the shape of your own worst impulses, stuffed into your dead body to animate it."
    #1112 02/13/2018 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    HPoH ( ) Didn't Exist Before Durkon Was Vampirized
    Though he arrived "with certain knowledge, like language and whatever Hel told it to do as she was shoving it in there."

Planning on getting to an update cycle on Wednesday; that should be adequate time to get more input on any of the four quotes mentioned and/or critique my wording.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Put me as include for first three and omit for last one.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, that puts the third quote...very close.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes, the last is a briefer repeat of an existing, more detailed, forum post. The second one is probably worth including - the morsel about Hel having pre-loaded Greg with whatever information she felt he would need (which would include the Plan to destroy the world, plus whatever carrots she offered to purchase his loyalty) is definitely something I can see myself having to refer back to.

The first quote is generic enough that I think it is also a repeat of some other quote, so we probably can skip it.

Grey Wolf
    I'm for including the first quote too. Like the person who asked the question, I was unclear on whether the HPoH was correct/telling the truth in what he was saying. And I've read all The Giant's quotes on vampires a few times, so I don't think this was old information simply being rephrased.
    Doublechecking: Is that a yes, no, or don't care about the
    Yes, as a lizard-snake-thing, Malack was made by Nergal. But both he and Durkon's vampire are equally free-willed. He follows Hel's orders because he's a *cleric*, not because he's a vampire. Choosing to obey is still a choice.
    tweet? I've been assuming you quoted Grey_Wolf_c because you agreed about it not needing to be included (because of the already indexed posts); but now that the tweet's in one-vote range between "don't include" and "include but may be voted on", I want to be sure.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Troll in the Playground

Include all.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #646

I'm voting "no" on including the free-willed quote; it has no information that isn't already in the Index.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, the last two have been pushed into vote-able range. So:

The Nature of Vampirism
    "...a negative energy consciousness created in the shape of your own worst impulses, stuffed into your dead body to animate it."
    Though he arrived "with certain knowledge, like language and whatever Hel told it to do as she was shoving it in there."
    Malack was made by Nergal
    But Malack and HPoH ( ) follow their creator gods' orders because they're clerics, not because they're vampires.
    #1112 02/13/2018 Tentative, appears will be eligible for vote.
    On Half Panels and Half-Page Splash Panels #1086 07/27/2017 Tentative, appears will be eligible for vote.

If anyone wants to make more arguments for/against or contest wording (particularly those last two, which are sitting right on the threshold), now's the time....

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Isnt the third one almost word-for-word identical to a forum post already in the index?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Isnt the third one almost word-for-word identical to a forum post already in the index?
    Déjà vu

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-02-21 at 03:03 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Almost, yes; that's why the part that's new is what I based the title on. (Does this mean you're not in favor of including it?)

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Almost, yes; that's why the part that's new is what I based the title on. (Does this mean you're not in favor of including it?)
    Yes, yes it does.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Keltest's reversal sunk the free will one. That said, I did said I'd try to get to this on Wednesday, and here we are.

So....

UPDATE COMING, CALLING FOR PMs TO REQUIRE VOTES

Anyone thinking the entry marked "Accepting PMs to require vote" should not be included in the Index should send me a private message, saying the entry should require a vote. (The default is to include, an item not voted on will be included in the Index.) If I get PMs from two or more people about the particular entry, it will be voted on to decide inclusion; the vote will be the next stage, and I'll announce it when the vote is ready.

A couple of the quotes below reached strong consensus already. A vote is considered unnecessary in these cases, so they will be included.

Proposed Items for Index 5.5
    The Nature of Vampirism
    #1112 02/13/2018 No vote required, will be included.
    #1112 02/13/2018 No vote required, will be included.
    On Half Panels and Half-Page Splash Panels #1086 07/27/2017 Accepting PMs to require vote. PM threshold met, vote required.

PMs will be accepted until Februrary 23th, 9PM EST already. I'll try to update the table if/when entries get sufficient PMs.

To send me a PM, click my username (The vaguely-pronounceable(?)-looking word above the spellcasting-and-invocation-using banana with purple hair) and select "Private Message". Or I guess you could click here. Anyway, include the title of the entry you're nominating in the message. Mentioning something about "Index Nomination" in the subject line would be helpful.

A few final reminders:
    • Don't post suggestions to require votes. They're sent by PM to avoid filling up the thread with them, posts will not be counted.
    • Only PM for entries you think should be excluded. They'll be included if they don't receive sufficient nominations.
    • We're not voting on the entries yet. The voting will be the next stage, assuming a vote is required; I'll call for the vote at an appropriate time.
    • There's still a banana in charge. Hi.

Further discussion of entries is encouraged at this point. In particular, recommendations for different titles and descriptions for the quote entries are things I'd be happy to consider.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2018-02-22 at 05:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

A few final reminders:
    This always makes me happy.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like we're having a formal vote this year!

Item up for voting:

• Please bold your yes/no votes, it'll make it easier for me to notice when I go through and count everything.
    • Please avoid discussing the quote itself, outside of giving an explanation for your vote in the same post as your vote. This'll make it easier to catch up after the vote, if a new quote comes along while we're still voting.
    • Per Rule F4, inclusion by vote requires a quote to have two more votes in favor than votes against.

Voting will be open until February 24th, 8PM EST.

A few final reminders:

This always makes me happy.
    I'm glad the Polymorph Incident has managed to improve the quality of life for someone

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I vote No. I don't think its entirely without merit, but its tautological enough and easy enough to point out on our own that it moves into clutter territory for me.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

No. We don't need a WoG confirmation of a basic tautological fact about the comic.

Grey Wolf

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

No. While I support the fact that we’re holding a vote this year - wheeee! - I don’t support including something that doesn’t actually tell us anything new.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

No. I wouldn't say it's tautological, but I would say it's saying of the same thing twice in different words.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #659

No to recursion.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Bugbear in the Playground

I vote YES because it (implicitly) says that there's no other underlying motives (financial, experimental, artistic, complexity, etc) for the use of half-pages: in regards to page layout aesthetics, the sole difference between older books and newer books is the increased use of half-page splash panels. Or, simply put, the author thinks it looks/flows better this way.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-02-22 at 07:51 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.