New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

I vote Yes for the same reason as 5a Violista - it implicitly confirms that there is no other reason for the increased use of half-panels besides just that the Giant likes them.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

In case anyone hasn't seen the previous page, there's a vote going on:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Item up for voting:

• Please bold your yes/no votes, it'll make it easier for me to notice when I go through and count everything.
    • Please avoid discussing the quote itself, outside of giving an explanation for your vote in the same post as your vote. This'll make it easier to catch up after the vote, if a new quote comes along while we're still voting.
    • Per Rule F4, inclusion by vote requires a quote to have two more votes in favor than votes against.

Voting will be open until February 24th, 8PM EST.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In case anyone hasn't seen the previous page, there's a vote going on:
    Continuing our well-respected tradition of starting votes on the last third of the page, I see.

Anyway, arguments for the No side have swayed me. I think when I first tentatively supported the quote in the thread, I had thought that the quote in relation to that particular strip had a little more depth. I still don’t think the quote is quite tautological, but not exactly worth including.

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #664
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vote NO on the quote. All it basically says is "There are more half-panels because there are more half-page panels." That's not exactly a ground-breaking revelation. If there was more meat to the quote, I might feel different, but as it stands I don't think it's worthy of inclusion into the Index.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote No. It doesn't provide enough information to be worth including.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Firbolg in the Playground

No. The quote boils down to "it's an artistic choice" (to use more splash panels that take half a page) without further elaboration. Pretty much everything in the comic is an artistic choice, so this quote doesn't bring any real information.

7. - Top - End - #667

I vote no.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #668

BardGuy

No.

I rarely vote against includes from the forum but this seems pointless.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes .
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

No

At this time, I don't see a real need for it. At most, maybe a link added into one of the current art section quotes, but I don't think it warrants a full entry of its own, if that makes sense.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

Clearly I'm getting to this about seven hours late; but since no one's tried to vote after the deadline I suppose it doesn't matter.

The remaining entries are now in the Index.
    I don't think there's anything else outstanding here...well, unless "General Information" under "Story, Plot and Characters" (as in, where the other vampiric entries are) isn't a good category for the two new quotes.

12. - Top - End - #672

WolfInSheepsClothing

unless "General Information" under "Story, Plot and Characters" (as in, where the other vampiric entries are) isn't a good category for the two new quotes.
    Vampire mechanics now consist of six out of eleven entries in "General Information", which is an argument in itself for breaking them out into their own section. I also note the isolated "Familicide" entry living in its own section. Ideally, I think these and some other stuff would be combined into a "World Mechanics" supersection (ie an equivalent to the "Character Development and Backstory" supersection) that would cover things that deal with the "physics" of OOTSverse without implicating D&D rules. A quick check of the rest of "Story, Plot, and Characters" doesn't show anything else that would fit there better than where it already is, though. The discussions of the soul economy and such would be appropriate entries in such a section, but there's obviously nothing wrong with their current placement in "Culture, Religion, and the Afterlife". I don't know if I can justify the creation of a new supersection with only two sections in it, especially two sections that are only very generally connected.
    Last edited by unbeliever536; 2018-02-26 at 05:41 AM.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

I support unbeliever's propositions.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #674
    Firbolg in the Playground

At the very least there should probably be a section for the vampire quotes.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    At the very least there should probably be a section for the vampire quotes.
    You mean something like....

The Jaxzanian Anthology(?)
    HPoH ( ) Didn't Exist Before Durkon Was Vampirized
    Though he arrived "with certain knowledge, like language and whatever Hel told it to do as she was shoving it in there."
    #1112 02/13/2018
    The Nature of Vampirism
    "...a negative energy consciousness created in the shape of your own worst impulses, stuffed into your dead body to animate it."
    #1112 02/13/2018
    Durkon Can't Show HPoH ( ) Fake Memories #1009 10/19/2015
    There is Only One Way that Vampirism Works
    And nothing that happens with vampires can be assumed to work for other undead. Also, knowledge of how vampirization works is rare, even among clerics.
    #949 04/18/2014
    Vampires Have Free Will #949 04/18/2014

?

16. - Top - End - #676
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I wholly support the Jaxzanian Anthology.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I wholly support the Jaxzanian Anthology.
    Agreed. Especially if we keep the name.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I support having the vampire quotes get their own section. I think I might be a little biased with regards to that name...

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #679
    Colossus in the Playground

Looks good to me.

20. - Top - End - #680

WolfInSheepsClothing

Seems reasonable.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I agree........ (10 characters)
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Fun's fun; but I suspect anyone who knows why it was called the Jaxzanian Anthology will already have seen the quotes for that very reason, and anyone who doesn't (the likely anonymous user of the Index) isn't going to be helped by an inside-joke category title. (If such a person is reading this now, it's because of the set of the Giant's vampire quotes linked in Jaxzan Proditor's sig)

Call it a Proditorian Paradox, if you like But ultimately usability for the general user needs to take precedence in the first few posts' content...as the dearth of banan-a-peel-ing comedy there might suggest.

23. - Top - End - #683

Fun's fun; but I suspect anyone who knows why it was called the Jaxzanian Anthology will already have seen the quotes for that very reason, and anyone who doesn't (the likely anonymous user of the Index) isn't going to be helped by an inside-joke category title. (If such a person is reading this now, it's because of the set of the Giant's vampire quotes linked in Jaxzan Proditor's sig)
    I don't disagree with any of this, and I acknowledge a different name would be much more useful to people who don't get the joke. But I'm still hoping against hope that the name sticks, because hey, fun's fun.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Titan in the Playground

I don't disagree with any of this, and I acknowledge a different name would be much more useful to people who don't get the joke. But I'm still hoping against hope that the name sticks, because hey, fun's fun.
    Don't think I didn't consider updating the template syntax, for the first time in years, to support category subtitles just for this

25. - Top - End - #685

Don't think I didn't consider updating the template syntax, for the first time in years, to support category subtitles just for this
    I second the motion.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

I second the motion.
    "Second"? I think there'd need to be a first...first o_o

More importantly, this is pretty deep in "a funny reason, but not enough of a reason" territory. Perhaps if there was an impetus for major reorganization, there'd be cause for me to stop putting off redoing the backend processing, in which case adding support for subtle subtitles (subtleitles?) while I was at it would be trivial. "Make a new table for vampire quotes" doesn't really constitute major reorganization, though. (Staff sergeant reorganization, maybe.)

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

Well then, I guess there's still one more question for a still-hypothetical-but-almost-certainly-going-to-happen "Vampirism" table: Should this quote be moved into such a table?

Character Development and Backstory
    Vector Legion
    Malack Chose to Worship Nergal
    And "shaman" is a descriptive term, not a non-cleric class.
    #949 04/19/2014

I mean, it is Jaxzanian-sigified, but it's also rather specifically about Malack so it fits with the other Vector Legion quotes too. All four of them....
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2018-03-02 at 03:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Colossus in the Playground

I think it should, because the only context it will ever be brought up in is the "vampires are robots/Malack changed classes when he became a vampire" one it was previously.

29. - Top - End - #689

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think it should, because the only context it will ever be brought up in is the "vampires are robots/Malack changed classes when he became a vampire" one it was previously.
    I was going to say to let it remain where it is, but that's a good point. I'm with Kish.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think my position is relatively clear, but for the record I’d also like the quote in the vampire section for this bit that I tend to find most useful:
    Maybe there are other vampires out there doing other things, being Good and living in harmony with the world. Don't care. Don't need them for this story.

I’m also starting to wonder if I should find room in my sig for the in-story knowledge of vampires and vampire memories quotes, to make the collection complete...

Peelee’s Lotsey