New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1469
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

It should be included.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Agreed, include that.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Thirded. Bonus point for being amusing.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fourthed, if that word exists. Completely worthy of inclusion.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes, definitely include that one.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Include.

I got curious:

285 & 406: A Moment of Truth (Shojo stops Miko from killing the Order, Miko kills Shojo)
    681 & 842: All in the Family
    401 & 720: Breakfast of Champions
    412 & 1073: Catching Up
    72 & 832: Loose Ends
    413 & 1008: Not to Scale
    433 & 924: Resource Management
    146 & 590: Role Reversal
    168 & 879: Running on Empty
    333 & 877: The Bright Side (Durkon reacts to learning he'll go home posthumously, Durkon Dies)

Appear to be the only duplicates, so a total of 10 as of comic 1147.

Edited to add: Only the first and last look to me like someone might think "callback" rather than "coincidence".
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2018-12-04 at 04:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ettin in the Playground

I seem to remember "Masters Mastering Mastery" had a different title when it was first posted, and Rich changed it after it was pointed out, but I don't feel like looking it up.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I seem to remember "Masters Mastering Mastery" had a different title when it was first posted, and Rich changed it after it was pointed out, but I don't feel like looking it up.
    Yes, it was called "Followers Follow", same as the strip where Haley kills Golem Crystal.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Odd that in one instance, a strip title appears twice in the same book (All In The Family, 681 and 842). That seems like the sort of thing Rich would want to go out of his way to avoid.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

10. - Top - End - #1060

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Odd that in one instance, a strip title appears twice in the same book (All In The Family, 681 and 842). That seems like the sort of thing Rich would want to go out of his way to avoid.
    But as the linked quote explains, he doesn't? He picks a name that sounds good at the time he uploads the strip and doesn't care overmuch if it's a duplicate. Even though those two strips were part of the same book they would have been months or even years apart in terms of when he actually uploaded them, so not surprising he might forget he'd already used the name.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    But as the linked quote explains, he doesn't? He picks a name that sounds good at the time he uploads the strip and doesn't care overmuch if it's a duplicate. Even though those two strips were part of the same book they would have been months or even years apart in terms of when he actually uploaded them, so not surprising he might forget he'd already used the name.
    That's... not how I would put it. He explicitly says wants to avoid duplicates, and clearly cares enough to change the name if he notices the repetition (though I assume he might not do so if too much time had passed). I mean, yes, he obviously forgot that he reused the comic name - what's striking to me is that there's one set of duplicates within the span of a single book, which strikes me as more undesirable to someone who wants to avoid duplicates than two names that only appear in separate books.

I mean, it's not that important, just something that stood out to me. But I'm not sure how what I said was inaccurate.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2018-12-05 at 01:38 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    But as the linked quote explains, he doesn't? He picks a name that sounds good at the time he uploads the strip and doesn't care overmuch if it's a duplicate.
    And it happens to other comic strip writers too. Darths & Droids has what's supposed to be unique strip titles, and when we point out a duplicate title, the creators change one.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-12-05 at 04:53 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Barbarian in the Playground

That's... not how I would put it. He explicitly says wants to avoid duplicates, and clearly cares enough to change the name if he notices the repetition (though I assume he might not do so if too much time had passed). I mean, yes, he obviously forgot that he reused the comic name - what's striking to me is that there's one set of duplicates within the span of a single book, which strikes me as more undesirable to someone who wants to avoid duplicates than two names that only appear in separate books.

I mean, it's not that important, just something that stood out to me. But I'm not sure how what I said was inaccurate.
    I think it was your suggestion that he would "go out of his way to avoid [reusing the same name within a single book]" while the quote doesn't appear to suggest that, though I guess he presumably is discarding titles that he remembers he's already used. Going "out of his way to avoid" would suggest, to me at least, that he was doing something like review titles he's already used since the last compilation before/while coming up with strip titles, but it would seem that he doesn't make any special effort of that kind.
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2018-12-05 at 07:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Include.

I got curious:

285 & 406: A Moment of Truth (Shojo stops Miko from killing the Order, Miko kills Shojo)
    681 & 842: All in the Family
    401 & 720: Breakfast of Champions
    412 & 1073: Catching Up
    72 & 832: Loose Ends
    413 & 1008: Not to Scale
    433 & 924: Resource Management
    146 & 590: Role Reversal
    168 & 879: Running on Empty
    333 & 877: The Bright Side (Durkon reacts to learning he'll go home posthumously, Durkon Dies)

Appear to be the only duplicates, so a total of 10 as of comic 1147.

Edited to add: Only the first and last look to me like someone might think "callback" rather than "coincidence".
    I did say give or take 11. Here's my list:

924 Resource Management
    433 Resource Management
    879 Running on Empty
    168 Running on Empty
    877 The Bright Side
    333 The Bright Side
    842 All in the Family
    681 All in the Family
    832 Loose Ends
    72 Loose Ends
    720 Breakfast of Champions
    401 Breakfast of Champions
    590 Role Reversal
    146 Role Reversal
    406 A Moment of Truth
    285 A Moment of Truth
    413 Not to Scale
    1008 Not to Scale
    412 Catching Up
    1073 Catching Up

Close Titles:
    230 The Law Strikes Back
    268 The Lawyers Strike Back
    600 Headed Down
    897 Headed Downtown
    431 My Three Xykons
    632 My Three Fiends
    463 Shattered
    636 Shattered, Shattered
    428 It Takes a Thief
    609 It Takes TWO Thieves, actually (Changed from "It Takes a Thief")
    981 Followers Follow
    1087 Masters Mastering Mastery (Changed from "Followers Follow")
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2018-12-05 at 10:27 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

#428 and #609 were both named "It Takes a Thief" at first, until the second one was changed to "It Takes TWO Thieves, Actually".
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    #428 and #609 were both named "It Takes a Thief" at first, until the second one was changed to "It Takes TWO Thieves, Actually".
    Awesome addition, thanks!

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ettin in the Playground

This little bit of trivia is interesting, I guess. But I'm not sure what listing specific comics has to do with discussion of the quote. *shrug*

Also, I'm in favor of adding all the recently-mentioned quotes, since I'm here.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    This little bit of trivia is interesting, I guess. But I'm not sure what listing specific comics has to do with discussion of the quote. *shrug*

Also, I'm in favor of adding all the recently-mentioned quotes, since I'm here.
    A tad off topic, yes, but people mentioned and I had the info. Glad people like the submission. It's my first one!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Should've called it "The Chaos Strikes Back."
    Should've called it "It takes a Chaotic"
    (to catch a Chaotic).
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

OK, so I think we're looking at...

Tentative Updates for Index 5.9
    🍌Don't Expect Any More Tribute Strips #1147 2018/11/27
    🍌Repeated Strip Titles are Accidental #1088 2017/08/04
    "Lawful" vs "Legal"
    More here and here.
    #891 2013/06/03
    🍌On the Legality of Miko Arresting the Order of the Stick
    Shojo was asserting "holy" authority for the charges, and no secular authority opposed Miko detaining the Order.
    #251 2005/12/01

The banana emoji signifies the main entry is new to the Index version; which is why the entry with the added "see also" doesn't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    I haven't been here before, but I think both should be included.
    You're able to post, so your expressed opinion counts as much as everyone else's!
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

21. - Top - End - #1071

I also got that he cares about avoiding duplicates.

However, I think he doesn't check previous titles at all; he changed "Followers Follow Part 2: This Time It's Personal" only because someone explicitly pointed out right away "hey, that's the same title as this earlier strip."

22. - Top - End - #1072

I'm cool with it. Also, 251-1147 is one heckuva spread..

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

I approve of all the proposed updates.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Troll in the Playground

Include all.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Include all changes.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Orc in the Playground

i'd like to open a vote to change the language in the index guidelines

1) | He/She may reorganize the index if deemed necessary, though all reorganizations can be reversed by majority vote.

2) | He/She may immediately add a comment to the index without any vote, discussion, or consensus required if the comment obviously is in accordance with these agreed rules.

3) | He/She may never fully "reject" a comment's inclusion, however, he/she may postpone its inclusion until further discussion (and, if the divide in opinion appears even, a vote) decides the matter.
    to They, instead of he/she

27. - Top - End - #1077

Quote Originally Posted by ArkenBrony View Post
    i'd like to open a vote to change the language in the index guidelines

to They, instead of he/she
    You didn't quote the immediately preceeding part:
    Rule F: The index-keeper (Jasdoif) has the job of updating the index in keeping with thread-goer consensus.
    While I'd normally be more or less indifferent in favor of that, given that the index-keeper is explicitly referred to as Jasdoif, I feel safe in assuming that he/she can refer to him/herself however he/she wants.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Orc in the Playground

You didn't quote the immediately preceeding part:
    While I'd normally be more or less indifferent in favor of that, given that the index-keeper is explicitly referred to as Jasdoif, I feel safe in assuming that he/she can refer to him/herself however he/she wants.
    that's fair, though the way it's formatted looks and feels like a remnant of copy/pasting to be in line with whomever is in charge of the thread.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I vote Inclusion for all of them.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    OK, so I think we're looking at...

Tentative Updates for Index 5.9
    🍌Don't Expect Any More Tribute Strips #1147 2018/11/27
    🍌Repeated Strip Titles are Accidental #1088 2017/08/04
    "Lawful" vs "Legal"
    More here and here.
    #891 2013/06/03
    🍌On the Legality of Miko Arresting the Order of the Stick
    Shojo was asserting "holy" authority for the charges, and no secular authority opposed Miko detaining the Order.
    #251 2005/12/01

The banana emoji signifies the main entry is new to the Index version; which is why the entry with the added "see also" doesn't have one.

You're able to post, so your expressed opinion counts as much as everyone else's!
    I'm in favor.