New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1469
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Sometimes I prefer the oldfashioned option, "as the actress said to the bishop".
    I believe that's a very specifically British one, though.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Sometimes I prefer the oldfashioned option, "as the actress said to the bishop".
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I believe that's a very specifically British one, though.
    It's also more longwinded than "that's what she said," and also may take a fair bit of explaining on your part if the person you're talking to doesn't get it, or doesn't understand what actresses, bishops, and sexual innuendo have to do with each other.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    It's a play on "That's what she said", implying sexual innuendo. (As in someone saiys "<phrase that could have a double meaning when referring to something about sex, even when the innocent meaning is intended.>" then another replies "That's what she said!") Which... it's not a phrase I'm particularly fond of, especially because it's often simply inserted everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    That's what she said.
    Nice. I learned something today! Thanks to both of you.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    jasdoif is our resident banana, look at their avatar and signature.
    Just to nitpick:
    If you're viewing this forum on a mobile phone, you don't see their custom banana avatar. You instead see a stock Oots avatar of a dagger-wielding bloke in a dark cloak.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

If you have to explain a joke then it failed.

A bit late, but I'm throwing this in in honor of the last main book coming up (and none of the proposed grabbed me).

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Final Chapter

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Eh, just about every joke ever is gonna take some explanation for someone to get it. It's not anyone's fault in particular, most of the time- it's not my fault for picking an obscure joke, because "That's what she said" isn't an obscure joke, and it's not Gwynfrid's fault they don't understand every single pop culture catchphrase that's flittered into their life like a plastic bag on the wind.

7. - Top - End - #1417

Flumph

It's also more longwinded than "that's what she said," and also may take a fair bit of explaining on your part if the person you're talking to doesn't get it, or doesn't understand what actresses, bishops, and sexual innuendo have to do with each other.
    Hence my preference. as the bishop said to the actress.

A bit late, but I'm throwing this in in honor of the last main book coming up (and none of the proposed grabbed me).

I like the thought, but I don't think this will be the last iteration of the thread so the title may be a bit misleading. Maybe something like
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Beginning of The End (possibly "of the story" if it fits)
    Last edited by Quebbster; 2019-10-02 at 12:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hence my preference. as the bishop said to the actress.

I like the thought, but I don't think this will be the last iteration of the thread so the title may be a bit misleading. Maybe something like
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Beginning of The End (possibly "of the story" if it fits)
    Just to be clear, I keep my vote where it is (That's What HE Said and Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas).

That said, I believe this suggestion is improved by making it "The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Beginning of The End (possibly)"
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Bugbear in the Playground

You know if this thread keeps moving at the pace it has today we’ll be on the next one before the book ends.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

10. - Top - End - #1420

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Just to be clear, I keep my vote where it is (That's What HE Said and Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas).

That said, I believe this suggestion is improved by making it "The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Beginning of The End (possibly)"
    I do believe you have a good point, sir.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    "That's what HE said"... Well, I don't get the joke or reference, assuming there's one.
    In addition to what everyone else has already said, it doubles as a reference to the punchline of this strip. (That's how I interpreted it, anyway.)
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    In addition to what everyone else has already said, it doubles as a reference to the punchline of this strip. (That's how I interpreted it, anyway.)
    And besides all the jokes and references, this thread is basically built around what HE (The Giant) said, because our forum isn't sane enough to not need such index :-)

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Have I voted against including the tweet yet?
    You hadn't expressed your opinion (that I saw) until this moment, no.

That brings it to....5 for, 12 against; minimally underwater. Okay, in case the topic hasn't settled down yet, anyone else have opinions on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by @RichBurlew
    Minrah is her own character with her own role. She's not anyone's replacement, any more than Blackwing replaced V.

And again; new page, new reminder about thread title vote, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    While this isn't formal, we've got a few pages left before the next thread, so in the interests of post wrangling....

This will be approval voting: vote for (and/or propose) as many titles as you like, even if there's only one you like; whichever title has the most people voting for it will be the title of the next thread. In the case of a tie, I will choose one of the tied options.
    I'll be tracking viable titles until I start on the next thread in...a few pages.
    Incidentally, if anyone is intentionally changing their vote, please make a new post containing all the titles you're voting for; trying to track one person's vote across multiple posts almost guarantees I'm going to mess up somewhere....
    Proposed Title Votes Voters
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Rich in Comments 9 Gift Jeraff, NobleCuriosity, Caerulea, snowblizz, Emanick, dmc91356, Sir Norbert, Algeh, Joerg
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said 9 Ron Miel, D.One, HorizonWalker, snowblizz, Bundin, Emanick, dmc91356, Kish, Joerg
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas 8 137ben, D.One, Emanick, Squire Doodad, Schroeswald, b_jonas, Rollin, super dark33
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic 8 Gwynfrid, Lissou, Zherog, DataNinja, Fyraltari, Caerulea, Algeh, Rollin
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Bimonthly Banana Bread at Best 2 Resileaf, Gwynfrid
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from a Few Zapped Pines 2 Reboot, b_jonas
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Undiscovered Comment 2 rbetieh, Algeh
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Clearly Just Advertising Copy 1 Doug Lampert
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Annotated Edition 1 Fyraltari
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Beginning of the End 1 Quebbster
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Final Chapter 1 Throknor

I like the thought, but I don't think this will be the last iteration of the thread so the title may be a bit misleading.
    Hmm....I could see it working as sort of a Final Fantasy reference.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-10-02 at 09:03 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'd like to withdraw my vote for Rich in Comments. I don't think it's as good.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, knew I forgot to re-quote something....
    Incidentally, if anyone is intentionally changing their vote, please make a new post containing all the titles you're voting for; trying to track one person's vote across multiple posts almost guarantees I'm going to mess up somewhere....

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

My bad. In that case, I'm voting for:
    1. The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas
    2. The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

My bad.
    Hardly your fault that I didn't remember to quote that bit across the page boundary before you posted o_o In any case, that breaks the tie for first-place:

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said 9 Ron Miel, D.One, HorizonWalker, snowblizz, Bundin, dmc91356, Kish, Joerg, Emanick
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas 8 137ben, D.One, Squire Doodad, Schroeswald, b_jonas, Rollin, super dark33, Emanick
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic 8 Gwynfrid, Lissou, Zherog, DataNinja, Fyraltari, Caerulea, Algeh, Rollin
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Rich in Comments 8 Gift Jeraff, NobleCuriosity, Caerulea, snowblizz, dmc91356, Sir Norbert, Algeh, Joerg
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Bimonthly Banana Bread at Best 2 Resileaf, Gwynfrid
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from a Few Zapped Pines 2 Reboot, b_jonas
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Undiscovered Comment 2 rbetieh, Algeh
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Clearly Just Advertising Copy 1 Doug Lampert
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Final Chapter 1 Throknor

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to keep my vote for Now up to 50% on Topic but also add a vote to That's what HE said.

19. - Top - End - #1429

BardGuy

Chane mine to Now up to 50% on Topic.

20. - Top - End - #1430

I would like to keep my vote for Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas and add one to Bimonthly Banana Bread at Best
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

21. - Top - End - #1431

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI ― Making Dogma from zapped bananas
    Okay I shall vote for this one, just so that my life has some impact on the world for good or evil. Hey, I'm a chaos voter.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

22. - Top - End - #1432

I wish to keep my vote for "Rich in Comments" and add a vote for "Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas".

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh, just about every joke ever is gonna take some explanation for someone to get it. It's not anyone's fault in particular, most of the time- it's not my fault for picking an obscure joke, because "That's what she said" isn't an obscure joke, and it's not Gwynfrid's fault they don't understand every single pop culture catchphrase that's flittered into their life like a plastic bag on the wind.
    This is true. In addition, while the joke may not be obscure in the broad English-speaking culture, it certainly is to other cultures, such as my own, where English isn't the first language. So, I don't mind the joke being explained to me, in fact I find it great.

... And yes I had totally missed it at the time. I guess I didn't find the time to go check the forum for an explanation back then.

You know if this thread keeps moving at the pace it has today we’ll be on the next one before the book ends.
    I think it's entirely possible that we fill 50 pages with a discussion of our next thread title after this one

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think it's entirely possible that we fill 50 pages with a discussion of our next thread title after this one
    I'll take the oportunity to submit for the next next iteration:

The Index of the Giant's Comments VII ― Focusing on What Matters: Discussing Titles
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-10-03 at 09:47 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Change my vote:
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Undiscovered Comment
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said

Any of those is good enough.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

If it means I don't have to hold an official vote across multiple threads, I'll consider that a feature

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said 11 Ron Miel, D.One, HorizonWalker, snowblizz, Bundin, dmc91356, Kish, Joerg, Emanick, Lissou, Doug Lampert
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas 10 137ben, D.One, Squire Doodad, b_jonas, Rollin, super dark33, Emanick, Schroeswald, Mad Humanist, Sir_Norbert
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Now Up to 50% On Topic 10 Gwynfrid, Zherog, DataNinja, Fyraltari, Caerulea, Algeh, Rollin, Lissou, Throknor, Doug Lampert
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Rich in Comments 8 Gift Jeraff, NobleCuriosity, Caerulea, snowblizz, dmc91356, Algeh, Joerg, Sir_Norbert
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - Bimonthly Banana Bread at Best 3 Resileaf, Gwynfrid, Schroeswald
    The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - The Undiscovered Comment 3 rbetieh, Algeh, Doug Lampert

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I vote The Index of the Giant's Comments VI - That's What HE Said

28. - Top - End - #1438

I cast my votes for Rich in Comments

Unlike the previous Rich title pun, this one works on two levels, so that's enough to make it my favorite.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Considering that some people have expressed a belief Minrah is replacing someone in the Order (I’ve seen some Durkon, and now more Belkar), I’m in favor of including the tweet.

Peelee’s Lotsey

30. - Top - End - #1440

if a joke stops being funny because people understand it it wasnt funny. usually what people are doing is just making it a meme. people laugh because they are 'in' on it and have that dopamine feeling of recognizing something, making that mental connection and then feeling special to be 'in' on it

every funny joke can be explained , all humor can be. its just most people who explore that (see: Big Bang Theory and Their Horrible Characterization of Sheldon) go out of their way to make anyone trying to understand humor a moron who doesnt get it
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"