New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [MTG] What color combo involves being nice/helpful, but also ambitious/distrustful?

[MTG] What color combo involves being nice/helpful, but also ambitious/distrustful of large organizations? I知 thinking of a pathfinder/mtg crossover, and while I want to say green/white or green/black...neither one fits this chaotic good picture I have in my mind of a carefree sprite-like creature who does random acts of kindness and is peaceful but is also ambitious and selfish in their own way預voiding authority. Any pointers?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [MTG] What color combo involves being nice/helpful, but also ambitious/distrustfu

First off, this goes in Gaming (Other) as it's about a TCG, or the 3.X/PF/d20 subforum for the RPG element being Pathfinder. Possibly Homebrew Design's Worldbuilding subforum, as it's a preliminary to making a merger of settings.

Second, answering your question, I'd say mono-Green or Red/Green, as Green is harmonious, but not ordered, and Red is not-necessarily-destructive passionate freedom. Green and White are usually what D&D/Pathfinder define as Good, though the hyperfacist elements of mono-white and white-blue bring up definition conflicts, as they massively violate the IRL definitions of Good, yet are actually defined by going absurdly far into the D&D-defined LG corner to the point where people end up miserable due to legitimate attempts at improving livelyhoods. Because abject poverty and other sources of misery for the masses can come from plain old incompetence and trying to help them through spectacularly ineffective methods.
    Last edited by Morphic tide; 2018-03-29 at 12:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [MTG] What color combo involves being nice/helpful, but also ambitious/distrustfu

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    First off, this goes in Gaming (Other) as it's about a TCG, or the 3.X/PF/d20 subforum for the RPG element being Pathfinder. Possibly Homebrew Design's Worldbuilding subforum, as it's a preliminary to making a merger of settings.

Second, answering your question, I'd say mono-Green or Red/Green, as Green is harmonious, but not ordered, and Red is not-necessarily-destructive passionate freedom. Green and White are usually what D&D/Pathfinder define as Good, though the hyperfacist elements of mono-white and white-blue bring up definition conflicts, as they massively violate the IRL definitions of Good, yet are actually defined by going absurdly far into the D&D-defined LG corner to the point where people end up miserable due to legitimate attempts at improving livelyhoods. Because abject poverty and other sources of misery for the masses can come from plain old incompetence and trying to help them through spectacularly ineffective methods.
    Thank you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

To authority?

I'm going be real liberal with my color interpretations, morphic already provided a narrow answer that is pretty typical, So I'm going to provide a different answer, neither answers are wrong, as the color wheel is up for interpretation:

Blue/Red
    Red/Green
    Green
    Red
    Red/Black
    Red/White
    Green/Black
    Black/White

See, here is the thing about the color wheel. its very up for interpretation. Everyone sees themselves as the hero, and there can be many interpretations of the same color. Red/blue can be a passionate individualistic thinker who wants everyone to have freedom and uses their wits to figure out how to help people while not necessarily trusting authority, Red/Black can be someone who does things for themselves but has an emotional heart- they can stand it when people need help and follow their emotions, impulsively doing because their conscience says so. White/Black can be one who has a code of morality to help others yet refuses to trust anyone with too much power and thus refuses to do anything that gives them too much political power because they don't want to be corrupted by the power, but also so that they can enjoy their own selfish pleasures- as in, spend an evening with their friends than slavishly figure out whatever little thing they can do to make the world a better place. and so on.

but if we be really subjective and interpretative, let us think: what color is "authority" REALLY? White? But that assumes White is the one in power. What if Black is the regime thats in power? White would have perfectly good reasons to not trust large organizations in that case as large organizations are full of corrupt selfish people using the systems for their own gains. especially if its an oppressive regime for the rulers own benefit over everyone elses. heck, a Black/Red ruler would give a lot of people to distrust authority as they'd probably spend all the money on their own pleasures and make the government descend into debauchery while the people cry out for food and warmth.

While a Red/Green ruler would be ruled by emotion and instinct, not an ounce of thinking or diplomacy in them and thus rule with their heart, which get them into wars and a whole of trouble with people because they can't think anything through, and generally would make a great wreck of things despite their compassionate nature. they'd react with big emotions to everything when rulership calls for a calm mind and good planning. people would have good reason to distrust someone who charges headfirst into everything and gets them into messes that could've been avoided.

So it becomes a question of what type of authority is ruling, and why they'd be distrusted, eh? not every ruler is a well-intentioned extremist who goes too far, and in many cases the welfare of the people isn't always on the rulers mind when they make decisions.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I would say that it's more a case that you should define the organisation's motives and personality and then tell us why it's [X] colour, rather than pick a colour and try to decide why it fits those motives and personality.

I agree with Lord Razere - the colour wheel is open to interpretation and you can potentially find any combination or reason as to why something can be expressed in any colour.

The example I would give is that your group could be Mono Blue. It's the one colour that Lord Razere didn't mention, but there are examples of it within WtG itself - the Wizards tribe, for example.
    Wizards work for knowledge - they want to learn and study and gain power through information. A Wizard as a teacher would be a dedicated and worthy tutor, imparting lore and helping his students improve their minds and abilities under his guidance; at the same time, he might detest the cabal of Wizards who have founded a school and choose to teach a different discipline. Perhaps he is envious of their power and accumulated knowledge which outstrips his own? Maybe he believes that they gained their knowledge through devious means and jealously guards his own grimoires from their preying eyes?

Blue is, after all, the colour of paranoia and intricate scheming. They can take allies and find common causes, but it almost always suspects that someone is out to get them and that they need to be prepared for any eventuality....

Also, Mono Black. That, in a nutshell, is the story of the Kamigawa arc; Toshiro Umezawa is a Mono Black hero who gathers allies in order to strike back against an oppressive Mono White authority. In fact I'd struggle to think of another block wherein a Mono Black creature could be thought of as the 'hero' at all, albeit in this case something of an anti-hero.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I would say that it's more a case that you should define the organisation's motives and personality and then tell us why it's [X] colour, rather than pick a colour and try to decide why it fits those motives and personality.

I agree with Lord Razere - the colour wheel is open to interpretation and you can potentially find any combination or reason as to why something can be expressed in any colour.

The example I would give is that your group could be Mono Blue. It's the one colour that Lord Razere didn't mention, but there are examples of it within WtG itself - the Wizards tribe, for example.
    Wizards work for knowledge - they want to learn and study and gain power through information. A Wizard as a teacher would be a dedicated and worthy tutor, imparting lore and helping his students improve their minds and abilities under his guidance; at the same time, he might detest the cabal of Wizards who have founded a school and choose to teach a different discipline. Perhaps he is envious of their power and accumulated knowledge which outstrips his own? Maybe he believes that they gained their knowledge through devious means and jealously guards his own grimoires from their preying eyes?

Blue is, after all, the colour of paranoia and intricate scheming. They can take allies and find common causes, but it almost always suspects that someone is out to get them and that they need to be prepared for any eventuality....

Also, Mono Black. That, in a nutshell, is the story of the Kamigawa arc; Toshiro Umezawa is a Mono Black hero who gathers allies in order to strike back against an oppressive Mono White authority. In fact I'd struggle to think of another block wherein a Mono Black creature could be thought of as the 'hero' at all, albeit in this case something of an anti-hero.
    Thank you so much. I知 not sure what my color combo would be personally. I use legal means to gather as much power and wealth into my hands as possible and screw everybody else...but I keep my word and try to gain wealth and power in the most legal, conventional ways possible. Also, I知 true Neutral with slight chaotic tendencies.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    Thank you so much. I知 not sure what my color combo would be personally. I use legal means to gather as much power and wealth into my hands as possible and screw everybody else...but I keep my word and try to gain wealth and power in the most legal, conventional ways possible. Also, I知 true Neutral with slight chaotic tendencies.
    Yeah thats White/Black in a nutshell. not a saint, not a villain, just a capitalist with standards.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    Also, I知 true Neutral with slight chaotic tendencies.
    Sounds more like Lawful Evil to me.

I agree it's white/black though. The designated combo of believing in a system, but also working within the system for maximum individual gain.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Sounds more like Lawful Evil to me.

I agree it's white/black though. The designated combo of believing in a system, but also working within the system for maximum individual gain.
    The easydamus test must be off...but then again, a lot of the "evil" options lended themselves to riskier, chaotic options, so that would probably make me look more neutral.