New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Aangvanced (Avatar: The Last Airbender Screencap Comic)

Sane person detected, commence operation "Allie for GM of next arc".
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    Maybe she'll be the turtlelion? I'm just guessing, but Rick wanted Mac to do something for the sake of Aang at the end, but she refused, so maybe he's trying to get Allie to do it? Or maybe Rick is talking about Allie playing in some game that they might run before Korra begins that would have Rick as the GM, assuming he decides to go through it?

Allie is on the cheerleading squad, but has a prosthetic leg, so the other girls probably don't have much use for her. They probably ignore her and are rude to her and Allie apparently has learned to just shrugs it off. Likewise, Mac was dismissive of Allie, so Allie just ignored Mac and her mistake, too, I think. Manny was critical of Rick, so I think Allie embarrassed him to help Rick. That was a different situation, so a different response from Allie.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    Actually, based on Allie's response to Rick's first question ("I'm a badass organizer") and the fact that Rick doesn't seem like he really wants to DM, I kind of think that this might actually be a possibility. Or a clever red herring. Hard to say for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    Warning! The typical D&D game concerns itself with and may contain racial and class-based stereotypes, poaching, xenophobia, religious fanaticism, mindless violence, illegal behavior, frequent bard-on-tavernmaid action, and animal cruelty. Player discretion is advised.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

So Lex used to be a player who just wanted to look cool and not think about mechanics, Shelby was always awesome, Damien went from being excited about roleplaying to defeated and stiff, and Mac was a distiller that made concentrated Shelby Brady.
    . . .

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Oh god, dark Manny is darker than I thought he might be
    That'll be awesome.

And curse you Sal ! It's not fair to add a possible player just like that after the first guesses for the cast. It fits well with Manny's dynamic though (love the quote "I lied! I always lie!" )

6. - Top - End - #336
    Barbarian in the Playground

Allie is definitely going to be in the new campaign, not sure about the DM (Rick still have a good chance of that), but you never know.

I took the "Rick asks Mac to do something for Aang" thing to be a hint at maybe how Aang and Katara get together in-universe. He wants Aang to have a good finishing arc, and he believes that Aang getting closer to Katara might do that. This might also serve as a way to get Mac more into a roleplaying mindset, if she's forced to make her character do something that won't gain her any XP.

Any guesses on how Tenzin might happen if Aang and Katara don't get together? Maybe just inventing some other random NPC for Aang to get it on with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I haven't seen Korra yet, so I'm at a loss. I had to look Tenzin up in the wiki and was surprised that Aang and Katara had a child.

FWIW, when someone asked if Mac would ever learn to roleplay, Sal responded that she would have all of Korra to learn, which didn't sound promising for the remainder of the current story.

I'm wondering what sort of a player Manny would be. He seems to want to be a movie director and being a GM seems to be a natural fit for that, but since this was the first campaign he GMed, he must be used to letting someone else run things. As a player, I could imagine him going way overboard with method acting, but since there is so little distinction between the in-game and out-of-game situations already, I'm not sure how we could tell.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh man, when are you gonna watch Korra, eschmenk? I don't like all of it, but the third season is - controversial opinion font begins here - better than Aang's arcs.

And who knows, maybe we'll get some sort of Christmas miracle where Santa brings Mac the discontinued Shadowrun Rulebook she's always wanted and her heart grows three sizes and she carves the dire beast herself.
    . . .

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I'm wondering what sort of a player Manny would be. He seems to want to be a movie director and being a GM seems to be a natural fit for that, but since this was the first campaign he GMed, he must be used to letting someone else run things. As a player, I could imagine him going way overboard with method acting, but since there is so little distinction between the in-game and out-of-game situations already, I'm not sure how we could tell.
    I've been wondering this too. We haven't much clues about his player style, except the (very) short zombie game DMed by Damien. I must look back at it a bit, but I think Manny was acting a bit disruptive, not following the game.
    Well, that said, we must remember he was not fond of the idea of a zombie game and it might be a reaction to this particular game and not representative of him.

10. - Top - End - #340

I think Manny would probably be a very story-oriented player, who could get upset if the other players interrupted his "arc". Honestly though, I don't think he'd be a terrible player in general, but I'd be worried that if someone else DM'ed a campaign in the Avatar universe then he might be prone to some backseat DM'ing.

eschmenk: Sorry if you didn't want to be spoiled, I'll try to remember to use spoiler tags the next time. It does seem more and more likely though that Mac will be Korra and she'll be learning to roleplay.

And oh by the way Lexby is adorable and I'm so happy.

Prediction time: Manny will have a breakdown at the end of this campaign, Rube will be "healed" and the next campaign will be Manny's healing process (along with Mac's journey to be a better roleplayer).
    the rain and the thunder

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Am I the only one who finds Red Text Manny kind of terrifying? Talk about Evil DM Syndrome...
    Warning! The typical D&D game concerns itself with and may contain racial and class-based stereotypes, poaching, xenophobia, religious fanaticism, mindless violence, illegal behavior, frequent bard-on-tavernmaid action, and animal cruelty. Player discretion is advised.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Urzamax View Post
    Am I the only one who finds Red Text Manny kind of terrifying? Talk about Evil DM Syndrome...
    Totally terrifying.
    (The Snape-like entrance helped too)

Red Manny is really dark and sharp in what he says, and the colors and the style (with the -in my opinion- intentional pixelised text aura), I'm really wondering if he isn't gonna kill someone during the finale, despite the original ATLA material.
    Last edited by JohanOfKitten; 2016-12-21 at 03:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343

Yeah Manny has completed the path to the Dark Side...I definitely would not want to be at the table right now.

But maybe, like Snape, his twisted heart really is in the right place after all? (probably not...)
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I don't think the comparison with Snape is quite accurate. Snape was always fundamentally Snape, for both better and worse. I think Manny suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder (he's schizophrenic) and has created a personality that contains his worst traits. It's that personality that's in control right now. That's what Rick will need to cure. The better aspects of Manny, including the part that wants to get rid of the bad aspects, are in a different personality that's not present ATM. So while Snape was both good and bad simultaneously, with Manny it's a matter of switching between different modes.

Granted, from Harry's POV, since he didn't understand what was going on, it would seem very similar. Snape seemed evil, but would also do good by saving Harry from evil, so it would seem like he was toggling between modes. Also, I'm going by the books, not the movies.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-12-21 at 10:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #345

I don't think the comparison with Snape is quite accurate. Snape was always fundamentally Snape, for both better and worse. I think Manny suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder (he's schizophrenic) and has created a personality that contains his worst traits. It's that personality that's in control right now. That's what Rick will need to cure. The better aspects of Manny, including the part that wants to get rid of the bad aspects, are in a different personality that's not present ATM. So while Snape was both good and bad simultaneously, with Manny it's a matter of switching between different modes.

Granted, from Harry's POV, since he didn't understand what was going on, it would seem very similar. Snape seemed evil, but would also do good by saving Harry from evil, so it would seem like he was toggling between modes. Also, I'm going by the books, not the movies.
    Agreed, the Snape analogy is a bit stretched, but it does work in parts. Especially in that sometimes it seems like Manny does want the players (especially Mac) to grow in their roleplaying. He just doesn't go about it in the best way.

But yes, Snape was more just conflicted and complex. Manny is more likely schizophrenic as you said, or possibly manic-depressive. Unfortunately, I don't know how much Rick can do about either case in one session, but if he can at least get Manny to accept his illness, then maybe the next campaign can be part of his therapy.

You know, given the mental health of Manny and Rube, I have to wonder about what kind of environment they grew up in. Sure it could be partially genetic or physiological, but...the chances of both brothers having different genetically-induced mental illness is low. Speech impediments and personality disorders can both be caused by severe stress and trauma. I can't help but feel sorry for them, despite what's happened.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shelby suggested that Rick diagnosed everyone in the Nightmares and Daydreams episode. Sort of makes you wonder what everyone actually has. Ronnoc is probably onto something. Manny's got disassociative personality disorder, Rube has PDD-NOS, Rick has Generalized Anxiety, Lex said he might have ADD (and might actually have recently overcame a bad bout of depression). No one's said what Mac, Shelby, and Damien have in the comic.
    . . .

17. - Top - End - #347

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Aeons View Post
    Shelby suggested that Rick diagnosed everyone in the Nightmares and Daydreams episode. Sort of makes you wonder what everyone actually has. Ronnoc is probably onto something. Manny's got disassociative personality disorder, Rube has PDD-NOS, Rick has Generalized Anxiety, Lex said he might have ADD (and might actually have recently overcame a bad bout of depression). No one's said what Mac, Shelby, and Damien have in the comic.
    I could see Mac having a form of OCD maybe, given how obsessed she can be about perfection. Damien may have had an inferiority complex, and was likely depressed. Not sure about Shelby. She honestly seems pretty happy most of the time, so if she does have some sort of mental illness, it's well hidden.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

18. - Top - End - #348
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Do Rick and Rube know something we don't about Manny's father that would justify Rick's comment of "It's always been toxic", or has something already been mentioned that I'm just forgetting?
    It might just be the weight of history behind it all (which, by the way, is a brilliant twist that also makes a ton of sense) that's making Rick so nervous about his chances, but it seems like there's more to it than that.
    Last edited by Urzamax; 2016-12-29 at 05:48 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Do Rick and Rube know something we don't about Manny's father that would justify Rick's comment of "It's always been toxic", or has something already been mentioned that I'm just forgetting?
    It might just be the weight of history behind it all (which, by the way, is a brilliant twist that also makes a ton of sense) that's making Rick so nervous about his chances, but it seems like there's more to it than that.
    I think that's a fairly typical thing for Rick to say. I think he's generalizing based on Rube saying that it was a bad situation when Manny was young and playing with his father and it's still a bad situation for Manny now.

It could be that Rick is thinking that roleplaying is inherently dangerous for someone with Disassociative Personality Disorder, but I don't think so.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

It could be more clear what the past is meant to imply, but if Manny's abusive that's gotta be handed down from somewhere. He probably inherited a bit more than just a set of dice and a binder of incomprehensibly dense notes from his father.

Also, it might entertain you to know that Bonnie, who plays Pearl in Steven and the Crystal GMs and used to be part of Mac's table, is listing her nightmare players/DMs in this most recent comic: http://crystalgms.thecomicseries.com/comics/318

And surprisingly, Manny doesn't make the top 6 on either list. But Shelby rates player #6 on the scary scale (because she's at least sane) and there ARE two players from D&D Aangvanced on the Worlds Scariest DMs list: Mackenzie Blair at #5 and at #1 . . . Mary Weers.
    . . .

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There is the implication that Manny will take a high spot on the GM's list when Bonnie learns more about his campaign.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2016-12-30 at 08:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I believe she may have said that Manny was number three, based on the fact that she was responding to the question "Who are one and three?" and mentioned Mary Weers (unsurprisingly) and Manny in that order. The wording is a little ambiguous, of course.
    Last edited by Urzamax; 2016-12-31 at 01:05 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I believe she may have said that Manny was number three, based on the fact that she was responding to the question "Who are one and three?" and mentioned Mary Weers (unsurprisingly) and Manny in that order. The wording is a little ambiguous, of course.
    No you're right. Rastaba confirmed in the comments section.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Did Rube kill his and Manny's mother IRL? I got that impression from page 1101.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Did Rube kill his and Manny's mother IRL? I got that impression from page 1101.
    I got the same feeling.

After half an hour of binge comic searching, I found back a page I wanted to reread about Manny and Rube past :
    http://dandaangvanced.tumblr.com/pos...698-transition

Manny is quite obscure about what he's saying.
    We can get it like Manny was nostalgic of old good time at littlefork, and his home was destroyed since, but it can be darker...
    The way he talks about his mother being from Littlefork, as him, is nearly a dissociation of Him+his mother and Rube.
    If the moving is not the subject, it can be his mother :
    She was ill (mentally of physically). When her life was ending, he wanted to go see her. But Rube wasn't ready (too young, too fragile...).
    Manny couldn't say goodbye to his mother, and then, he blames Rube. That little broken brother, useless, a weight, that kept him away from his mum... So, now, he sorta blames Rube for the death as well.

Well, That's just my thought. It would be horrible, but would lead to awesome tearsome pages soon !

Does anyone know if they are any other quotes about Manny and Rube's mother ?

26. - Top - End - #356
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

@Johan: I agree with your interpretation. Can't find any other evidence though.

Also, in #1106, Damien says he "betrayed" Manny. I suppose he's just talking about siding with Rube, or maybe his very first "defection" back in the South Water Tribe. But it seems like it might run deeper than that. In #700, Manny says, or at least alludes (some possible antecedent confusion since they were on separate panels), to Damien being his "idol". Mentions something similar in #689 too. Thoughts?

On the bright side, Sane-ish Manny is back! Thanks Damien!
    Doubt it will last long, but hey, as long as it lets the turtle-lion scene happen, then it's good enough.
    Last edited by Urzamax; 2017-01-03 at 01:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JohanOfKitten View Post
    Well, That's just my thought. It would be horrible, but would lead to awesome tearsome pages soon !

Does anyone know if they are any other quotes about Manny and Rube's mother ?
    No, I can't think of anything except for the page you found. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I am expecting some "awesome tearsome pages," although I'm not sure what's going on. I'm not even sure who the "we" were that moved away from Littlefork. I kind of got the feeling that the mother may have died in childbirth, but maybe that's only because it's such a cliche. In that case, it could be that the father moved with Manny and Rube to where they are now. That would still be consistent with what Manny told Rick, but the proposed "visit" Manny talked about would have been after she died. But none of those interpretations seem all that consistent with what Rube said on page 1095. Rube was alive when the neighbor from Minnesota played. The only way I can reconcile it is if the neighbor was visiting Manny after they moved away from Littlefork. The father would have been running the session and Manny may have lashed out at Rube and killed his character. The neighbor may have been disappointed with the way Manny was acting by that point.

The thing is that we don't really know who to believe and no one is saying much anyway. Manny acts like he loves Rube, but at the same time he acts out against Rube because he's angry about something that he blames Rube for. But we don't know how much to believe what he believes, even if we knew what it was. The same goes for Rube.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

But none of those interpretations seem all that consistent with what Rube said on page 1095. Rube was alive when the neighbor from Minnesota played. The only way I can reconcile it is if the neighbor was visiting Manny after they moved away from Littlefork. The father would have been running the session and Manny may have lashed out at Rube and killed his character. The neighbor may have been disappointed with the way Manny was acting by that point.
    That's strange, I agree
    There's something wrong. Maybe Manny bends the truth in 698, avoiding something specific that arrives there.

@ Urzamax : I think Damien is talking about defection in the campaign, how he always went against the current and against the group. That's something quite consistent with him and Mac was pissed off by him for a long time for that. The "idol" talk is about the fact the first game Manny played with this group was the end of a Damien's campaign and he admires him for that campaign he found really good.
    I don't think there is another hidden truth here, but, mehhh, there's a lot I didn't foresaw either
    English is not my native language, so I may misinterpret parts.

29. - Top - End - #359

Quote Originally Posted by JohanOfKitten View Post
    @ Urzamax : I think Damien is talking about defection in the campaign, how he always went against the current and against the group. That's something quite consistent with him and Mac was pissed off by him for a long time for that. The "idol" talk is about the fact the first game Manny played with this group was the end of a Damien's campaign and he admires him for that campaign he found really good.
    I don't think there is another hidden truth here, but, mehhh, there's a lot I didn't foresaw either
    English is not my native language, so I may misinterpret parts.
    That's how I interpreted it as well. Manny has made it clear in the past that he (at least used to) have a great deal of respect for Damien and only wanted to impress him (I also recall a series of strips where he tried to convince Damien to DM again). And Damien here is apologising for giving Manny the cold shoulder and not playing along with his campaign. A great Damien moment. ^_^

Also, Knowledge: Local strikes again!
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

30. - Top - End - #360
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

@Johan, @aurilee: Yes, this is my belief also. I just noticed that it may, perhaps, be possible to interpret it in some other ways, and wanted to get an idea of what everyone else was thinking.