New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Aangvanced (Avatar: The Last Airbender Screencap Comic)

It may also be worth noting that Rube played out scenes giving voice to the players from the previous campaigns, but wouldn't act out whoever played Kyoshi.
    . . .

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urzamax View Post
    @Johan, @aurilee: Yes, this is my belief also. I just noticed that it may, perhaps, be possible to interpret it in some other ways, and wanted to get an idea of what everyone else was thinking.
    Well I do agree with you that he probably feels some guilt about letting Manny down regarding the "idol" stuff. If he felt like he betrayed Manny's trust and belief in him, that would also warrant an apology. (I'm assuming that was the point you were making, sorry if I'm misunderstanding or putting words in your mouth).

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Aeons View Post
    It may also be worth noting that Rube played out scenes giving voice to the players from the previous campaigns, but wouldn't act out whoever played Kyoshi.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I vaguely remember the story of Kyoshi being recounted and it's some sort of doomed love story? Perhaps this is the last character their mother played (she was playing in their father's campaign), or an old girlfriend of Manny's? I'll have to go back and find the Kyoshi stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Oh, god....
    Kyoshi, I forgot her... Rube's silence with her is quite significant ! I bet on the mother character, as aurilee suggests.

Rube can't make her talk, and he's feeling unwell at that moment. And Rick seems to understand : "Alright. I get it buddy. I shouldn't have asked Kyoshi."

Chronologicaly, it works fine (after the dad college campaign, before the campaign DMed by Manny for his Littlefork friend). The fact that Rube has difficulties when Kyoshi is evoked makes feel more about someone really important for him, so the mother is a good guess. I'm less convinced by the idea of some Manny's ex-girlfriend. It wouldn't be a taboo for Rube...

Gosh.... Now Kyoshi makes me sad. So sad.

edit : Pages about Kyoshi :
    http://dandaangvanced.tumblr.com/pos...e-first-uniter
    >> It looks like a previous campaign, but nothing in Manny behaviour makes me think that something special is going on about Kyoshi. But he was good at that time to hide his emotions (and to lie. He always lied !)

http://dandaangvanced.tumblr.com/pos...-81-dai-and-li
    >> Some background about Kyoshi. She founded the base with her husband...

Maybe I'm supposing things too hard !
    Last edited by JohanOfKitten; 2017-01-05 at 04:06 AM.

4. - Top - End - #364

Yeah, Kyoshi being Rube and Manny's mom definitely fits the best IMO.

I've tried looking for the background story for Kyoshi, but can't find it...if anyone else can find it, I'd be much appreciative. I'll keep looking though and update this if I find it...

EDIT: More Lexby action today and Shelby seems ready to tell Mac off! So excited! Also Damien sticking up for Rube. Good stuff. Really good stuff. Oh I can't wait for tomorrow!
    Last edited by aurilee; 2017-01-05 at 04:38 PM.
    the rain and the thunder

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah ! The updates are more and more exciting !

Quote Originally Posted by aurilee View Post
    I've tried looking for the background story for Kyoshi, but can't find it...if anyone else can find it, I'd be much appreciative. I'll keep looking though and update this if I find it...
    The two links I put above are from the two episodes about Kyoshi in the original serie. I don't remember any other case were this character is treated before the turtle-lion encounter. I think it's the same for D&D aangvanced.
    If you look to my links and explore a bit before and after, you should have the whole thing we know for now.
    IMO, That's not much, allowing a lot of interpretation and revelations !

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by JohanOfKitten View Post
    Yeah ! The updates are more and more exciting !

The two links I put above are from the two episodes about Kyoshi in the original serie. I don't remember any other case were this character is treated before the turtle-lion encounter. I think it's the same for D&D aangvanced.
    If you look to my links and explore a bit before and after, you should have the whole thing we know for now.
    IMO, That's not much, allowing a lot of interpretation and revelations !
    I could have sworn the Kyoshi backstory from the show was done in the comic, but I can't seem to find it. It was the same episode with the burning Avatar effigies, but when I looked at your links I didn't see it so I thought maybe it was used elsewhere.

I guess I was mistaken, but I was sure that Manny did some exposition explaining that stuff...

But yes, given the otherwise lacking information about Kyoshi, it does allow for a nice reveal.

EDIT: I really like Shelby. I'm glad she's telling off Mac for being so cold. Maybe she'll even help her with the idea of "fun". I'm also starting to lean towards Shelby for a "fun" character in Korra like Jinora or Bolin (although Asami is still pretty likely IMO).

What I'm not so sure about is why Rick doesn't want them to get into this? I mean, I guess he could just want to focus on the game, but it seems like he's almost doing it to protect Mac, like he knows what this could do to her and he's worried she'll break down.

EDIT#2 (because I can't shut up about this comic): I'm glad Manny's getting *some* positive feedback. He seems so happy! And wooo Shelby! Still unsure why Rick is so uncomfortable with all this, I feel like there's some hidden motivations going on...
    Last edited by aurilee; 2017-01-06 at 04:37 PM.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Dwarf in the Playground

Man, I really wish there was footage of Toph fighting 30 sith in freefall to put into the comic.
    . . .

8. - Top - End - #368
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I hope DJ will return some time, I liked the combination of song/comic

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Man, I really wish there was footage of Toph fighting 30 sith in freefall to put into the comic.
    Maybe one day... Avatar fandom is full of artists. Well, most of them focus most of their skills on improbable (but so lovable) ships, but who knows !

By the way, that week-end, I watch once again ATLA final episode. The final agni kai made me cry. Azula is a psycho b*tch, but it's a tragic character nonetheless and the scene with her defeated at the end is heart breaking. But when you had behind her Rube, it's devastating. I hope that it would be mostly Rube getting the distinction OOC/IC and playing Azula finally without merging with her distress

About that Agni Kai, I've a bad feeling. Rube and Damien are getting a good fight. That's what they're looking for at this table. But Rube loves to win games and could feel a bit in distress when Damien takes the advantage... And there, Manner will rise once again, with insane DM vibe, offering to Rube a way to win : Slaying Katara.
    Manny wants a dead PC, and the hints are toward Katara. And it makes sens : Mac is playing a way that bother a lot Manny. He gets easily angry at her lately and felt that she didn't fit in (I mean, the special session about her mother's assassin is quite clear). And at some point, I suspect Manny to blame her a bit about the fact that Damien DMing stopped, as she took the chair after him.
    Back to agni kai, I think Manny would help Rube, but only to use him once again to hurt others.
    The end is still unclear, but I hope that Mac would finally get away with her habits and start some roleplay, helping that way to show Rube that it's a game, not a life-threatening competition.

The first session of Manny and Rube show clearly the familial issues. No wonder it gets bad after that.

10. - Top - End - #370

Maybe one day... Avatar fandom is full of artists. Well, most of them focus most of their skills on improbable (but so lovable) ships, but who knows !

By the way, that week-end, I watch once again ATLA final episode. The final agni kai made me cry. Azula is a psycho b*tch, but it's a tragic character nonetheless and the scene with her defeated at the end is heart breaking. But when you had behind her Rube, it's devastating. I hope that it would be mostly Rube getting the distinction OOC/IC and playing Azula finally without merging with her distress

About that Agni Kai, I've a bad feeling. Rube and Damien are getting a good fight. That's what they're looking for at this table. But Rube loves to win games and could feel a bit in distress when Damien takes the advantage... And there, Manner will rise once again, with insane DM vibe, offering to Rube a way to win : Slaying Katara.
    Manny wants a dead PC, and the hints are toward Katara. And it makes sens : Mac is playing a way that bother a lot Manny. He gets easily angry at her lately and felt that she didn't fit in (I mean, the special session about her mother's assassin is quite clear). And at some point, I suspect Manny to blame her a bit about the fact that Damien DMing stopped, as she took the chair after him.
    Back to agni kai, I think Manny would help Rube, but only to use him once again to hurt others.
    The end is still unclear, but I hope that Mac would finally get away with her habits and start some roleplay, helping that way to show Rube that it's a game, not a life-threatening competition.

The first session of Manny and Rube show clearly the familial issues. No wonder it gets bad after that.
    The ending is sure to be a bit heartbreaking, but I'm kind of hoping that there's also some warmth in there. Rube, Manny, Damien, Mac and Rick could all come to terms with their various issues and Lexby could ride off into the sunset. Not entirely likely, but I think it's fairly probably that at least Rube and Manny could resolve this issues.

Then it'll be a slightly happier bunch going into Korra.

As for the dead PC, Mac's the likeliest choice, but that brings up weird story problems. Perhaps Manny will get over his need to kill PCs and let everyone survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
    I hope DJ will return some time, I liked the combination of song/comic
    Me too! Maybe she'll be back for Korra?
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

As for the dead PC, Mac's the likeliest choice, but that brings up weird story problems. Perhaps Manny will get over his need to kill PCs and let everyone survive?
    Sure, killing a character might put some problems in the story for Korra...
    Suki or Azula don't give much issues with LOK, but the others... Well, the autor could still kill a character and warp the story so one's appartions in LOK are wash out, but it's more or less tricky, depending of who. Maybe Sokka.

Or free pass ! As you propose, Manny gets healthier and doesn't feel the infernal urge of killing the beloved character of one of his friend.

12. - Top - End - #372

SERIOUS LEXBY DRAMA

I think I may be getting a little too into it too

EDIT: Oh my god that fan art. It's awesome.
    Last edited by aurilee; 2017-01-11 at 10:44 AM.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, there goes the "Manny doesn't kill a character" theory.

Who's next?

Edit: Whoops, I was too amused.
    Last edited by DeadpanSal; 2017-01-11 at 11:41 PM.
    . . .

14. - Top - End - #374
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Better not be in town when Shelby drops the mic ! 138 damage !
    Well, that brings a lot of interogations for LOK and several characters.

I'm really pissed about my very low patience : the 2 pages a day is too slow for me ! I go see the tumblr ten times a day
    (By the way, I'm really impress by that pace and how Sal can keep up and give us so many pages without a break)

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

SERIOUS LEXBY DRAMA
    Yeah, I'm thinking that ship has probably sunk. I thought looked like it was taking on water when Shelby announced (immediately after the date) that she was going to be leaving to play in tournaments and asked if anyone wanted to go with her. That caught Lex completely off guard and there was no talk of Lex going with her. Lex wants her to stay, but there is no way she would stay. That all got echoed in her death scene:

Page 1122:
    Shelby: Lex, you know I can't stay.
    Lex: Yes you can. This is where you belong.
    Page 1222-23:
    Shelby: Just let me go, Alex. There's no other way, so let's just let everything end here, okay?

And now Damien and Shelby are talking in the kitchen. Hmm. Damby? Maybe Damien could be supporting Lex, but I could also imagine Damien wanting to push himself at tournaments away from his mother.

At least I think I pretty much understand Lexby. However, I'm getting completely confused by Rube and the way people are interacting with him. When Rube reacted to Sheby's death, her response was "Afraid so, little brother! It's all up to you now!" What is? Then Mac echoed the "little brother" when she gave him the advice that he couldn't kill Damien, but that almost sounded like she was mocking what Shelby said. I also couldn't tell what's motivating Mac. There's been some friction between her and Damien, so maybe she's siding with Rube? Maybe especially since Damien is apparently friendly with Shelby, who just chewed her out? Or is she trying to psych out Rube? Is that just setting up Rube saying, "Thanks for the advice, Mac! If I can't kill Zuko, I'll kill Katara?" I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it would just be a fake-out on Rube's part, so he could catch Damien off balance. He's smart enough to do that. Still, I get the feeling that Mac's been a jerk lately, and isn't winning any friends, and her advice to Rube wasn't really helpful anyway, and chaining up Azula would be consistent with Mac being pissed off for Rube attacking her.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-12 at 11:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376

I still have some hope for Lexby.

It's possible that Damien and Shelby will encourage each other. I could definitely see Damien giving her a little pep talk about sticking around. They've both just had an arc about rediscovering fun in the game, so it'd be nice to have them finish it together, and walk back to the table all "let's do this!"

But all that being said, Lexby FTW!

And oh man Rick's screwing with Manny. It's great. ^_^
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

It's possible that Damien and Shelby will encourage each other. I could definitely see Damien giving her a little pep talk about sticking around. They've both just had an arc about rediscovering fun in the game, so it'd be nice to have them finish it together, and walk back to the table all "let's do this!"
    OK, and that would fit with the theme of Rube rejoining the group as a hero. And the conversation between Damien and Shelby looked very serious, so at least it didn't seem as if they were flirting with each other. Now I'm thinking that things will probably work out better than it appeared they might. I think Shelby will still take a break from the group (and Lex), but she'll stick around for the end of this campaign (it's almost over, anyway) and she'll make it clear that she's planning on coming back. Rather than calling Lexby completely off, it may be a long-distance relationship for a while.

And oh man Rick's screwing with Manny. It's great. ^_^
    Yes, but he also kept Shelby from revealing what the conversation was about!

I'll also go ahead and guess that Rube plays as Piandao, Shelby as Bumi, Damien as Jeong Jeong and Mac as Pakku as the "Elite Four," but I'm not sure if Manny will keep Iroh or Rick would get him. I'd say that Rick has his hands full, but it would be more of a Party vs. GM situation if they were all PCs, so I'm leaning toward Rick. And it could be so much fun that everyone lives happily ever after, including Manny, or something.

I'm still a little nervous about Mac, but hopefully she will take Shelby's criticism to heart and decide to do a better job of supporting her friends and rejoin them. I think there might be a bit more drama there first though. At a minimum, she'll probably want to loot Azula first.

Oh! Another idea would be for Rick to wind up DMing the final fight, which would let Manny keep playing Iroh.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-15 at 11:22 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    OK, and that would fit with the theme of Rube rejoining the group as a hero. And the conversation between Damien and Shelby looked very serious, so at least it didn't seem as if they were flirting with each other. Now I'm thinking that things will probably work out better than it appeared they might. I think Shelby will still take a break from the group (and Lex), but she'll stick around for the end of this campaign (it's almost over, anyway) and she'll make it clear that she's planning on coming back. Rather than calling Lexby completely off, it may be a long-distance relationship for a while.
    I agree. The conversation they had seems to be about Shelby's departure. This adds more suspense for the finale, as I think we won't know until the big fights are over... or even maybe not before the start of Korra, if Sal wants to troll us !

Oh! Another idea would be for Rick to wind up DMing the final fight, which would let Manny keep playing Iroh.
    I've thought of that to. It could make some sense : It create an in-comic situation to show the transfer between Manny and Rick, with good visuals for that (instead of just using some text bubbles between the two series). It may brings the notion of power temptation and how Rick would push away this to be a kind DM (with Aang being covered by Ozai dark red before getting back his avatar blue energy.). And it would be a nice arc about Manny and how he gets back to the joy of playing his long term character, finally achieving what he started years ago when his father was DMing, and the tears of joy on Iroh's face at the end...

About the teasing about Rube-Mako : Yes ! It was a very long shot for me, but my prediction may be right
    My Bolin guess will probably get very wrong, but nonetheless, I'm happy about Rube

19. - Top - End - #379

That sounds about right. I imagine she'll make a dramatic entrance into Korra.

Yes, but he also kept Shelby from revealing what the conversation was about!
    I know! Curses...

I'll also go ahead and guess that Rube plays as Piandao, Shelby as Bumi, Damien as Jeong Jeong and Mac as Pakku as the "Elite Four," but I'm not sure if Manny will keep Iroh or Rick would get him. I'd say that Rick has his hands full, but it would be more of a Party vs. GM situation if they were all PCs, so I'm leaning toward Rick. And it could be so much fun that everyone lives happily ever after, including Manny, or something.
    Manny will definitely keep Iroh. I think Manny and Rube partnering up again will be a big moment for them. Manny will learn to respect Rube, and Rube will be able to trust and forgive him.

I'm still a little nervous about Mac, but hopefully she will take Shelby's criticism to heart and decide to do a better job of supporting her friends and rejoin them. I think there might be a bit more drama there first though. At a minimum, she'll probably want to loot Azula first.
    Mac has a long way to go...but Shelby will definitely help. I'm still thinking that Korra will be about Mac's growth/redemption.

I've thought of that to. It could make some sense : It create an in-comic situation to show the transfer between Manny and Rick, with good visuals for that (instead of just using some text bubbles between the two series). It may brings the notion of power temptation and how Rick would push away this to be a kind DM (with Aang being covered by Ozai dark red before getting back his avatar blue energy.). And it would be a nice arc about Manny and how he gets back to the joy of playing his long term character, finally achieving what he started years ago when his father was DMing, and the tears of joy on Iroh's face at the end...
    This would be great, and certainly a possibility IMO.

About the teasing about Rube-Mako : Yes ! It was a very long shot for me, but my prediction may be right
    My Bolin guess will probably get very wrong, but nonetheless, I'm happy about Rube
    I had originally slotted Damien for Mako, but that was before Damien became fun-Damien. Rube would make a good Mako, and fun-Damien would certainly work as Bolin!

And yeah, it looks like Rube is finally going to feel accepted and welcome. And now that he'll be working with Rube (to save the day no less!), it looks like they're on the right path towards a mended relationship.

EDIT: Annnddd....it doesn't look like Manny's going to let up any time soon. Should have known Azula going crazier and crazier was going to be the result of Manny taking over...He really wants Katara dead.

EDIT2: Okay yeah, Manny's after Mac. Seems her "rollplaying" with that last move was the final straw. That overly precise percentage was also probably not the best idea.
    Last edited by aurilee; 2017-01-16 at 04:44 PM.
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

20. - Top - End - #380

NecromancerGuy

As big a jerk as he is, I'm feeling for Manny here.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Uh oh..

I was initially worried about Rube going mad in the Azula/Katara/Zuko fight, once Azula was introduced. But now it looks like Manny or Mac could get into real trouble here.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Dwarf in the Playground

For anyone who somehow is on this forum and doesn't know World of Warcraft, the last strip "Lament of the Highborn" references a scene in Warcraft with Lady Sylvanas Windrunner, who used to be a pretty cool elf until she died and became Queen of the Forsaken. Then she sings about it, and it's a pretty good song worth looking up. I really like it's use here, bringing out what Azula's going through.

Mai, the NPC in denial, talked a lot about how terrible it was to be an NPC and in 817 talks about it pretty thoroughly, being used as a mouthpiece for Manny. He makes some feelings towards Katara/Mac and pretty neatly foreshadowing this twist.

http://dandaangvanced.tumblr.com/pos...racters-broken

"I was created by a woman who has no emotions, and decided not to play me. I can never know what it feels like to feel anything. The truth is I'm an NPC. And it terrifies me. I was almost able to feel. Being real was in my reach. Suddenly becoming an NPC. It's a nightmare I wouldn't wish on even my greatest enemy."
    Last edited by DeadpanSal; 2017-01-16 at 08:17 PM.
    . . .

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

For anyone who somehow is on this forum and doesn't know World of Warcraft, the last strip "Lament of the Highborn" references a scene in Warcraft with Lady Sylvanas Windrunner, who used to be a pretty cool elf until she died and became Queen of the Forsaken. Then she sings about it, and it's a pretty good song worth looking up. I really like it's use here, bringing out what Azula's going through...
    Good point! Manny is going to absolutely love doing this! This is his idea of great roleplaying and he's going to do it, despite Mac. In a way, having Mac to play off of will help, though, I think. Poor Azula can't be a full person now because she's a NPC. Katara's PC status is just wasted because Mac just doesn't bother. How fair is that?

Manny really can go psychotic, though. Will he go overboard and loose himself in the character? Or will he push Mac so hard that she'll get all caught up in it, which might be the best outcome possible?

And thanks for explaining the reference. That went right by me (as they nearly all do).
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-16 at 10:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

oh god oh god....

Fun-not fun story : I read the last page when there was only my wife and I in the room. When I read what Mac did, I yelled "Holy S*** ! F****ing B*tch !"
    My wife thought it was for her, with no reason justifying that scream.
    Eventually, I could explain to her, thanks to the fact that she knows ATLA and roleplaying games.

Thanks Master of Aeons for the WOW reference, I would have totally missed it !
    I like when autors bring some references and foreseeing hints
    Last edited by JohanOfKitten; 2017-01-17 at 03:05 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385

I missed that reference too...really interesting!

I'm really, really, really hoping Mac gets the message soon, maybe with the help of Shelby?
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Is that a real ability? Does she actually need to reduce her AC to 0 for that deflection or is she just trying to kill Zuko for no reason?

You know, Manny may actually be right that they're all banding together against the campaign.

27. - Top - End - #387

Remember the good ol' days when "Manny's going crazy" just meant he slipped everyone drugs?
    the rain and the thunder

BAM! Doomsealed!!

28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

VILLATIC, Manny!!!

Really, what's the point of the safeword if Manny has only listened to it twice or so, out of all the times Rick has said it?
    Last edited by Urzamax; 2017-01-17 at 04:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    Warning! The typical D&D game concerns itself with and may contain racial and class-based stereotypes, poaching, xenophobia, religious fanaticism, mindless violence, illegal behavior, frequent bard-on-tavernmaid action, and animal cruelty. Player discretion is advised.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm in the end of book two,tell me it gets better?!
    How am I the tactician when my answers specified enchantment !?

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

I started in a ruined castle with a tiefling warlock attacking.Hack and slash party

30. - Top - End - #390
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It gets better, just like in the show.
    (Praxis comes back, first, but then things start improving, by and large.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    Warning! The typical D&D game concerns itself with and may contain racial and class-based stereotypes, poaching, xenophobia, religious fanaticism, mindless violence, illegal behavior, frequent bard-on-tavernmaid action, and animal cruelty. Player discretion is advised.