New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 GMR 15: Return to normalcy

Spoiler: Morocco;Raygallade
    Show

Our gold for truffles trade ended so I sent a renewal.

Not feeling up to a spectator war update, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Austria (DodgerH2O)
    Show
    I am so sorry to report that my underestimating you much gold you'd have this turn resulted in me falling one gold short of setting up that workshop this turn. I feel very bad about pestering you over that only to have this be the result. I mean, it'll go up one turn earlier than it otherwise would have, but still...
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Ethiopia
    Show
    The merchant council of The Golden Hub in Exile sends its greetings to our neighbors and friends. Know that Ethiopia, Morocco, and the Mayans will all have the knowledge contained in the following scrolls. Our goal is not to play favorites but to do all within our power to stop Chinese conquest. Your people share the closest geographic proximity and were chosen for that reason. The scrolls were sent separately to keep China from guessing at the contents within, though they likely will notice the messengers visiting all of your embassies at once and speculate on the reasons.

Our people were traders, first and foremost. Knowledge and exploration rather than keen steel are the best tools of our people and so we share our maps of the land and tactical information with you rather than the more formal sharing of military forces, of which we had little to begin with and less with the Chinese at our gates.

First, all that Austria knows of the world. Note that the northeast land spit may have a deep water channel but we cannot guarantee it, and the southwest is locked by sea ice. Therefore our exploration ships could not chart the eastern portions of the continent. Stories indicate an unknown people live in our uncharted area, if this information would help those people fight off a Chinese invasion, feel free to share this information with them.
    (http://i.imgur.com/sXigJQU.jpg)

These maps show the Chinese capital and lands nearby, as well as an overview of what Austria knows about their empire's geography. Southharbor was, until late, an Austrian city.
    (http://i.imgur.com/UnubD0h.jpg)

(http://i.imgur.com/oWFzDl6.jpg)

And last, proof of our claims, such as we can provide. China has in it's arsenal at least 6 Chu-ko-nu crossbowmen, of which five are visible here, a spearman, and a great general. If they have not disbanded older units they may still have a roaming unit of chariot archers and a band of hand-to-hand warriors. Militarily, China will soon have our Great Lighthouse, and thus be able to produce a mobile and deadly naval fleet. Our military strategists predict that they will first turn eastward, towards Morocco or likely Ethiopia, as shallow seas would allow bombardment of the coastal cities by a small navy supporting the existing crossbowmen.

This map also shows the Austrian capital, which will soon be under China's rule, so may be considered an addendum to the earlier maps of China.
    (http://i.imgur.com/VmicyiV.jpg)

Your cartographers may notice a small island to the north of the western peninsula. Our current government in exile has fled to a city-state on that island formerly known as Sydney. A royal marriage has tied our fates to theirs but we fear the Chinese will cross and take those lands as well. We will fight as long as we can but they have crippled our trade networks and plundered our sacred gold mines. We swore to them we would aid their enemies militarily if they continued their attack, these scrolls are our way of keeping our word.

Spoiler: Morocco
    Show
    The merchant council of The Golden Hub in Exile sends its greetings to our neighbors and friends. Know that Ethiopia, Morocco, and the Mayans will all have the knowledge contained in the following scrolls. Our goal is not to play favorites but to do all within our power to stop Chinese conquest. Your people share the closest geographic proximity and were chosen for that reason. The scrolls were sent separately to keep China from guessing at the contents within, though they likely will notice the messengers visiting all of your embassies at once and speculate on the reasons.

Our people were traders, first and foremost. Knowledge and exploration rather than keen steel are the best tools of our people and so we share our maps of the land and tactical information with you rather than the more formal sharing of military forces, of which we had little to begin with and less with the Chinese at our gates.

First, all that Austria knows of the world. Note that the northeast land spit may have a deep water channel but we cannot guarantee it, and the southwest is locked by sea ice. Therefore our exploration ships could not chart the eastern portions of the continent. Stories indicate an unknown people live in our uncharted area, if this information would help those people fight off a Chinese invasion, feel free to share this information with them.

These maps show the Chinese capital and lands nearby, as well as an overview of what Austria knows about their empire's geography. Southharbor was, until late, an Austrian city.

And last, proof of our claims, such as we can provide. China has in it's arsenal at least 6 Chu-ko-nu crossbowmen, of which five are visible here, a spearman, and a great general. If they have not disbanded older units they may still have a roaming unit of chariot archers and a band of hand-to-hand warriors. Militarily, China will soon have our Great Lighthouse, and thus be able to produce a mobile and deadly naval fleet. Our military strategists predict that they will first turn eastward, towards Morocco or likely Ethiopia, as shallow seas would allow bombardment of the coastal cities by a small navy supporting the existing crossbowmen.

This map also shows the Austrian capital, which will soon be under China's rule, so may be considered an addendum to the earlier maps of China.

Your cartographers may notice a small island to the north of the western peninsula. Our current government in exile has fled to a city-state on that island formerly known as Sydney. A royal marriage has tied our fates to theirs but we fear the Chinese will cross and take those lands as well. We will fight as long as we can but they have crippled our trade networks and plundered our sacred gold mines. We swore to them we would aid their enemies militarily if they continued their attack, these scrolls are our way of keeping our word.

Spoiler: Maya
    Show

Last edited by DodgerH2O; 2016-06-24 at 10:49 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

My computer has a virus so I cannot download the game safely and play it. I don't know if I'll be ble to take my turns in the next 2 turns

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    My computer has a virus so I cannot download the game safely and play it. I don't know if I'll be ble to take my turns in the next 2 turns
    Damn, I saw it too late. I've reverted and removed the timer. Good luck fixing your computer.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Mind if we keep the lack of a timer through Saturday even if Croverus gets the computer fixed? I'll be out of town for a week and don't trust the AI with the economy setup that I'm working on.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RayGallade View Post
    Mind if we keep the lack of a timer through Saturday even if Croverus gets the computer fixed? I'll be out of town for a week and don't trust the AI with the economy setup that I'm working on.
    I'm sure that will be no problem.

8. - Top - End - #308

Quote Originally Posted by RayGallade View Post
    No complaints here.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Managed to fix it enough to download the save and play the game. Taking my turn now and should have it posted soon.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yay!

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    Yesss! Got Parthenon finished (+4 culture, free great work of art). Amazing, really, considering Portugal is the worst and way behind everyone else in both production AND literacy (tech level, therefore most likely science/turn, too).

Otherwise, not much is happening. Founded third city some time ago, then Mongols settled one of theirs right by our new borders. Should have taken a screenshot. It's really close. Had to spend some gold to ensure we get the nearby iron and stone hexes. Still waiting for our enigmatic religion to start spreading outside our capital, so that we could get to put our decent faith production to work - people yearn for new mosques and cathedrals, and the faithful pilgrims mean fillings for our coffers. Who ever came up with the idea of tithe was a genius.

need to find better spoiler box secret colour
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-07-01 at 04:45 PM.
    Well that was awkward.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I have returned, so I'll be good with the return of the timer if we want it.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

I've put the timer to two days, would have no problem making it shorter or longer if people want.

13. - Top - End - #313

Spoiler: Austria;Dodgerh20
    Show

With the capture of The golden hub. We are now willing talk peace terms.

In exchange for free gold as long as you reign, we insist on Sapphire bay, and should it be located on the Western Peninsula. Shining sands. If Shining sands is not located on the Western Peninsula feel free to modify the deal to take that city out.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Spoiler: Austria;Dodgerh20
    Show

With the capture of The golden hub. We are now willing talk peace terms.

In exchange for free gold as long as you reign, we insist on Sapphire bay, and should it be located on the Western Peninsula. Shining sands. If Shining sands is not located on the Western Peninsula feel free to modify the deal to take that city out.
    Spoiler: China
    Show
    We accept you terms, with the caveat that Shining Sands lies on our island refuge and not the peninsula proper, and therefore will not be part of the deal. Also we apologize for the volley fired by our newly conscripted archers. They were eager to use their weapons and we did not get the diplomatic message until after their prior orders of defense were carried out.

15. - Top - End - #315

We are pleased to enough that China and Austria have reached a peace deal that is agreeable to both nations! No more will war tear up the Western continent, the Western continent will reach new heights under strong rule!

Under this, we have missives for some of the nations in the world.

Spoiler: Ethiopia; Zevox 87
    Show

Keep your scout away from the savages. Those two hills directly northwest, and north east are fine, but no close.

~Wu Zetian of China.

[OOC It's my delicious delicious culture.]

Spoiler: Mongolia;Croveous
    Show

We sent the deal for the gold lux, for 3 of your GPT.

I believe we both intended to do so, and both forgot.

~Wu Zetian of China.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Mongolia
    Show
    Your people have been left the only ones in the world without a faith to call your own. Would you perchance allow us to send some priests over to your cities, and spread the word of Kukulcan?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: The Maya
    Show
    I notice you've acquired the ability to offer Open Borders to other nations. I have an archer-scout in your area that has been unable to find a path to the north-eastern part of the world past your nation, America, and region's lakes, whom I would very much like to have pass through your lands to see what there is to see in those unknown regions. What would you ask in return?

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #318

Spoiler: Sunday spectator update!
    Show

After the Aust-Ina war, the Chinese empire grew and grew on the backs of the Austrian people.

They met the Valettaians west of the Austrian people, the Valettaians apparently had no knowledge of the recent war fought.

Zanzibar requested jewelry. They said that connecting this to the Chinese trade network would make up for their vicious attack on the Austrians.

Valetta immediately mentioned to the Chinese people that since they had an army if they could take care of some savages, that they would be ever so grateful.

Guangzhou's defense force lurked, they reported no savages or Austrians looking for revenge to Wu Zetian.

Wu Zetian's palace guard had to always be on high alert. In case assassins troed to kill their queen.

The Cho-ko-nu's start to take their place for other glorious missions.

The Panama worker starts to be ferried to it's new life as a Chinese slave. It is by all accounts a hard life.

Here we see the Chinese military continuing to farm the what they call savages.

The Shanghai defense force was also reporting no problems at the time.

Southharbor reports that no more mention of Austrian resistance is among it's citizens.

The Austrian slaves move to cut out select road networks.

Sapphire bay however still has the occasional mention of resistance.

The Chinese scouting band moves to the Mongolian border.

Which prompted Wu Zetian to resend the trade deal.

The great general moved to Sapphire bay to oversee the resistance suppression.

Here we see a list of the technologies the Chinese people had developed at the end of the war.

Here, Beijing as it prepares to construct Notre dame.

Shanghai focused on infrastructure for the entire Chinese empire.

Guangzhou also focused on much of the same.

Southharbor however needed to focus on itself to become a city worthy of the name.

Here we see the ruins of the Austrian capital. A terrified people ruled up by an iron fist.

And the ruins of Sapphire bay.

The Chinese people mix a large amount of the old ways, along with honor.

The Chinese people were the most numerous, produced the most goods, had the most land, the most soldiers, and the highest rates of literacy.

Here we see the Chinese information on their rivals.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

My computer's mouse is busted. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to go buy a new one tomorrow, so I disabled the timer. Hope you guys don't mind.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    My computer's mouse is busted. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to go buy a new one tomorrow, so I disabled the timer. Hope you guys don't mind.
    That's fine.

I'd appreciate a response to what I posted a couple of posts up, though, if you don't mind.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, got a new mouse. Turn timer reinstated, thanks for the understanding.

Show
    Our humblest apologies. The gods clouded our vision, and we believed we had already granted you passage. Regardless, your scout is free to cross our territory. In return we would ask for nothing but your friendship, perhaps with a formal declaration if you are so inclined. We have also discovered the mysteries of Research Agreements, and we would like to sign one.

22. - Top - End - #322

I got skipped and it gave me about 7 minutes for my turn, since I wouldn't even be able to take my turn that fast, can we revert?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

I got skipped and it gave me about 7 minutes for my turn, since I wouldn't even be able to take my turn that fast, can we revert?
    Reverted. Something went screwy with the timer. Should be fine now.

24. - Top - End - #324

Mongoila, you keep getting skipped everything okay?

Spoiler: DodgerH20;Austria
    Show

The barb camp that your composite bowman can see is our culture farm, we kindly request that you stay away from it.
    Last edited by Illven; 2016-07-20 at 08:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Show
    Our humblest apologies. The gods clouded our vision, and we believed we had already granted you passage. Regardless, your scout is free to cross our territory. In return we would ask for nothing but your friendship, perhaps with a formal declaration if you are so inclined. We have also discovered the mysteries of Research Agreements, and we would like to sign one.
    Spoiler: The Maya (Narkis)
    Show
    Well, that is very generous of you. And knowing you to be the one other nation on earth to have publicly denounced China's actions, we believe friendship between our nations should come quite easily. The offer of such a declaration has been sent to you.

It may take some time before we could afford to sign a Research Agreement, though, since we recently emptied our coffers to rush construction of a building that will help us produce defenses against potential Chinese aggression more quickly.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-07-21 at 09:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326

Spoiler: DodgerH20;Austria
    Show

The barb camp that your composite bowman can see is our culture farm, we kindly request that you stay away from it.
    Spoiler: China
    Show
    We understand and have neglected to clear out the camp due to your request, however we had intended to dispose of those barbarians as a sign of goodwill towards the city-state of Valetta. As our means of production have been crippled, we need to stay on good terms with Valetta to maintain our military forces. What can you offer to compensate us for our loss of influence by leaving this camp alone?

27. - Top - End - #327

Spoiler: Dodgerh20;Austria
    Show

We can offer you 200 shiny gold with a declaration of friendship.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    We are very glad you have agreed. We'll finalise the Declaration as soon as possible. Your reason for delaying the Agreement is perfectly understandable, no one has more to fear from Chinese aggression than you. But when the Chinese attack, you will not stand alone. We pledge to stand with you, or whoever might their next target be, and help stop them in any way we can. Their conduct is a blemish, their continued existence a blight upon this world. We fear that when the gods return to judge us they, and us, will be deemed unworthy.

You can propose the Agreement whenever we may both afford it, and we shall accept. You need not even ask.

May our friendship last for all the cycles to come!

29. - Top - End - #329

Show
    The Council in Exile of Austria wishes to make it understood that any rumors of "Friendship" between Austria and China are merely a diplomatic necessity for payment to us, by China, of a lump sum of gold. They wish to let the Barbarian tribes continue to send raiding parties into our former lands, in order to train their troops and fuel their militaristic Culture. We wished to destroy the encampment, but the offer provided by the Chinese proved sufficient to let it be for the moment.

Spoiler: Maya
    Show
    The Council in Exile of Austria wishes to make it understood that any rumors of "Friendship" between Austria and China are merely a diplomatic necessity for payment to us, by China, of a lump sum of gold. They wish to let the Barbarian tribes continue to send raiding parties into our former lands, in order to train their troops and fuel their militaristic Culture. We wished to destroy the encampment, but the offer provided by the Chinese proved sufficient to let it be for the moment.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Austria (Dodger H2O)
    Show
    Ah, good, I was going to ask about that. Makes sense.

Also, something you should know: I should shortly have some progress in putting strong defenses against the Chinese up. In only two turns, I will complete construction on a mighty defense for my lands: a Great Wall to encompass my borders, hedging out the Chinese should they attempt to attack, and making it much easier for me to make good on promise of containing them on the Western Peninsula.

You should also know that the Maya have extended their hand in friendship recently, and we have an unofficial mutual defense agreement with the Moroccans, which we are sealing by building a road between two of our cities to enable easy access to each others' lands. It seems likely that should the Chinese attempt another attack, however and whenever they do it, they will face several nations united against them.