New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 GMR 15: Return to normalcy

Spoiler: Morocco
    Show

Our people want some of your delicious truffles, and with an overabundance of these blasted elephants everywhere in our lands, we will soon have more ivory than we know what to do with, so we would like to start sending some of it your way. Acceptable trade, truffles for ivory?

- Portuguese Ambassador
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-08-01 at 01:00 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

So guess who has two thumbs and is building Alhambra. Narkis.

Guess who would really not want to deal with Blitz X-com again. This guy.

Guess whose getting frigate rushed. Hopefully Narkis.

War is endless. War is eternal. Wu Zetian is war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Croverus was skipped for the tenth and final time. After a month, I think it's safe to say he's not coming back. We could use a replacement Mongolia, if any spectator wants to jump in.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Portugal (thirsting)
    Show
    Greetings! I am pleased to finally meet the eighth nation I have heard tell was in lands so far from mine. I hope we can have an amicable relationship - I have proposed an exchange of Embassies, to start us off on the right foot.

Spoiler: The Maya (Narkis)
    Show
    Your Research Agreement offer has been accepted. Sorry, I didn't realize I had enough money for it already - too used to how much these things cost on normal speed.

Years ago, as China brutalized the peaceful people of Austria, we of Ethiopia vowed before the world that we would stand as a bulwark between that bloodthirsty nation and the rest of the world, imprisoning them on the western peninsula. As proof of our commitment to that vow, behold the work of our nation's engineers, fruit of decades of labor: a Great Wall stands now along our borders, encompassing all the land around our capital Osgiliath and stretching far south to where Minas Tirith stands guard near the Panama Isthmus, the sole land bridge between China's ill-gotten lands and the rest of the world. A bulwark for our people, but also a prison wall for our neighbor.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Show
    Greetings! I am pleased to finally meet the eighth nation I have heard tell was in lands so far from mine. I hope we can have an amicable relationship - I have proposed an exchange of Embassies, to start us off on the right foot.

Show
    Your Research Agreement offer has been accepted. Sorry, I didn't realize I had enough money for it already - too used to how much these things cost on normal speed.

Years ago, as China brutalized the peaceful people of Austria, we of Ethiopia vowed before the world that we would stand as a bulwark between that bloodthirsty nation and the rest of the world, imprisoning them on the western peninsula. As proof of our commitment to that vow, behold the work of our nation's engineers, fruit of decades of labor: a Great Wall stands now along our borders, encompassing all the land around our capital Osgiliath and stretching far south to where Minas Tirith stands guard near the Panama Isthmus, the sole land bridge between China's ill-gotten lands and the rest of the world. A bulwark for our people, but also a prison wall for our neighbor.
    Shouldn't the fortress-city closer to the expansionist empire be named Minas Ithil?

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Shouldn't the fortress-city closer to the expansionist empire be named Minas Ithil?
    It originally was, actually. I changed the name because it was the city right next to the sole land bridge between China and the rest of the world, and hence would be the Guard Tower (Minas Tirith means "Tower of Guard," after all) standing watch against them.

(Yes, I know Minas Anor was the actual original name of Minas Tirith, but I had already named my northern city Minas Anor before all this happened and I decided the name change was appropriate. The parallels can't all be perfect, sadly. Though on the up side, hopefully that means Illven won't ever conquer it and change the name to Minas Morgul. )

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #337

Show

Spoiler: Ethiopia
    Show
    Oh thank goodness! Greetings. We were all ready to shoot you, thinking your troops were barbarians ready to start pillaging near our capital. For once we are glad appearances can be deceiving.

We don't know yet what to think of your efforts to keep this "China" sealed away from rest of the world, but if they truly are as bad as you imply, we appreciate the effort.

Lets drink for our shared future, and lets hope it is bright and fruitful.

- Portuguese representative
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-08-05 at 03:40 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It originally was, actually. I changed the name because it was the city right next to the sole land bridge between China and the rest of the world, and hence would be the Guard Tower (Minas Tirith means "Tower of Guard," after all) standing watch against them.

(Yes, I know Minas Anor was the actual original name of Minas Tirith, but I had already named my northern city Minas Anor before all this happened and I decided the name change was appropriate. The parallels can't all be perfect, sadly. Though on the up side, hopefully that means Illven won't ever conquer it and change the name to Minas Morgul. )
    Spoiler: Zevox
    Show
    Could we see maps of Minas Tirith?

9. - Top - End - #339
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    A Traveler's Guide to The Moroccan Institute of Trade

Behold! The Moroccan Organization of Construction (MOC) has rushed the beautiful mountain retreat that we shall declare to be Machu Picchu. Although there have been no sightings of the baby form of the great Pikachu, tourists are advised to look up from their personal viewing screens and appreciate the landscape. Already, we have word from the temples of Syrinx:

"This retreat shall serve as a home for the priests of the temples. From this blessed height, we shall share the gifts of life with all those who follow the Red Star. See now that we already have begun optimizing the distribution of wealth throughout the MIT."
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
    Spoiler: Maya
    Show
    The Council in Exile of Austria wishes to make it understood that any rumors of "Friendship" between Austria and China are merely a diplomatic necessity for payment to us, by China, of a lump sum of gold. They wish to let the Barbarian tribes continue to send raiding parties into our former lands, in order to train their troops and fuel their militaristic Culture. We wished to destroy the encampment, but the offer provided by the Chinese proved sufficient to let it be for the moment.
    Spoiler: Austria
    Show
    We expected something like that, for it would be folly of the highest order to expect actual friendship with your conqueror. Perhaps we would not have agreed to such a deal ourselves in your position, but we understand your reasoning nonetheless.

Show

Spoiler: Ethiopia
    Show
    No problem, I had the same issues when I started playing multiplayer. And good work on the great wall, China can't possibly attack you now. So if he wants to conquer the world, as is likely, he'll have try another way. We should prepare for a frigate rush, unless he waits for nukes or stealth bombers.

Spoiler: America
    Show
    Our friends, we see you now have enough gold to sign a Research Agreement. We have offered you a Declaration of Friendship, so that we can sign the agreement as soon as possible. Of course, if you have other plans for that gold feel free to postpone the agreement for as long as you want.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Spoiler: Zevox
    Show
    Could we see maps of Minas Tirith?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently not, since I can't figure out how to work screenshots. Sorry.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Portugal
    Show
    The Council in Exile of Austria extends its greetings to the lands of Portugal. For years your people have been merely a rumor but finally we have formal exchanges. As rumors may have carried to you, Austria has become displaced from our cultural and diplomatic center, The Golden Hub, and our government has taken seat in a former city-state, Sydney.

The vile serpents responsible for this conquest are the Chinese and their empress, Wu Zetian. They captured our ship-builders and a Great Lighthouse that our people created for the purpose of peaceful trade and exploration, but we fully expect they will use these resources at some point to cross the great sea and attack the eastern shores of the continent, it is only a matter of when. Know that we have found China to only use diplomacy until force becomes more useful, and the Chinese threat should be seen and fought by all civilized nations. Rumors of "Friendship" between Austria and China are merely a diplomatic necessity for payment to us, by China, of a lump sum of gold. They wish to let the Barbarian tribes continue to send raiding parties into our former lands, in order to train their troops and fuel their militaristic Culture. We wished to destroy the encampment, but the offer provided by the Chinese proved sufficient to let it be for the moment.

Despite the blow to our people by the loss of our lands, Austria continues to fight the Chinese by supporting their enemies. Should you wish to join against China our strategists have assembled some maps (a bit dated) that may be of use to your people. Even if you wish to remain neutral, Austria is always open to mutually beneficial and fair trade deals with your people.

13. - Top - End - #343

Show
    Thank you for the warning. I guess we have to start taking these rumours of this horrible Chinese Empire seriously, now that we have received several independent accounts of their vile deeds.

- Portuguese Ambassador

Show

Notes to self: Hire a new cartographer. Execute Exile Relocate old one.

Borobudur finished. This great temple complex has already inspired our people to spread the religion of our capital to the rest of our cities, hopefully pushing back the invasive aztec beliefs that are even more incomprehensible. Must keep the scary unknown outside, even if we have no way to know if this familiar unknown (heh, oxymoron) is any better in the long run.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-08-09 at 10:16 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

14. - Top - End - #344

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Spectator -> thirsting
    Show

Thanks for that thirsting!

And thanks to everyone else who's been posting spectator updates, I for one really appreciate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

15. - Top - End - #345
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Illven (China)
    Show
    The MIT has altered the deal that you requested. We now offer you our finest cotton to adorn your subjects with in exchange for the silver that has so long adorned our temples. We hope this is acceptable.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by RayGallade View Post
    Show
    The MIT has altered the deal that you requested. We now offer you our finest cotton to adorn your subjects with in exchange for the silver that has so long adorned our temples. We hope this is acceptable.
    Spoiler: RayGallade;Morocco
    Show

That is more then acceptable

~Wu Zetian of China.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

17. - Top - End - #347

I'll be out of town this coming weekend and back early-middle of next week. Figure the earlier I ask, the better. Could we extend/pause the timer sometime before this weekend?

Spoiler: Portugal
    Show
    Our scouting party near your capital has discovered an encamped fortress of raiders north of your city on the coast. They have sent a band of warriors with simple melee weapons out to pillage, but maintain a guard at their fortress still. Alas, our scouts are not equipped with proper arms and will have to retreat, so we cannot help displace the barbarian presence.

18. - Top - End - #348

Until photobucket co-operates with me long term, updates are temporarily hituased.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn timer removed.

20. - Top - End - #350

Spoiler: Portugal;Thristing
    Show

Greetings noble Portugal, we come from the Chinese peninsula the Western most part of the continent.

Fair people, we would like to ask for an exchange of embassies with your nation. Would that be acceptable?

~Wu Zeitan of China.

21. - Top - End - #351

Show

We have been aware of this encampment for some quite time, and it's inhabitants, while generally agressive, have proved disorganized and relatively harmless. We have decided to tolerate them, for now. But thank you for the concern.

- Portuguese Ambassador

Spoiler: China
    Show

We have heard much of the mighty Chinese Empire, and welcome the opportunity to expand our gallery of peaceful future trading partners.

- Portuguese Ambassador

(if these messages somehow make no sense, it might be because I'm getting shredded to pieces at cellular level by some horrid elder dire flu)
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-08-17 at 05:50 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

22. - Top - End - #352

Back, thanks for pausing the timer.

Show
    OOC: No pictures, but wanted to give an update. Shining Sands finally has a Monument, working on a Library. My "capital", Mt. Sydney (formerly the city-state of Sydney) has nearly capped growth and is really not suited for long-term use. It would've been a great satellite city but compared to my old capital it's pretty awful. I'm basically hoping that China leaves me alone long enough to buy out another city-state or two, until I get Astronomy I can't really access empty reaches of land to settle my own cities.

Slowly mapping out the continent and building up an outdated military to defend my island should China get antsy. Barring the possibility of a strategic resource monopoly I'm not anticipating my small island will be able to fend off anyone militarily or culturally.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

No problem. Turn timer reinstated.

edit: We could still use a replacement Mongolia if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by Narkis; 2016-08-25 at 07:16 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

By the grace of Kukulcan, we cordially invite all civilized nations of the world to the First Congress of Palenque, as well as the Chinese. It is our hope that this and all future Congresses will serve as a platform and a means to make us all a better people, and help us find lasting peace until the gods come to pass their judgment.

To that end, our first proposal is to tax all implements of war, so that no other nation suffers the same fate as Austria. We believe most of you will see the wisdom in this, and help us make it a binding agreement for all.

25. - Top - End - #355

Despite the snub given to us by the Mayan founders of the world congress, the world has asked the civilized Chinese to submit a proposal to the discussion of the world congress. It is a hard task before us, but the Chinese will rise to the occasion.

Counter to the standing army tax, which will let the savages roll right over your undefended lands, stands the world's fair. A proposal that one of our nations of the world will host as all the nations of the world come together to show the strengths of their culture.

You can vote for national harmony. Or you can vote to be overrun by savages. Your choice.

~Wu Zetian.

Spoiler: RayGallade;Morocco
    Show

We've gotten word of our merchants that our trade deal has ended, we sent the approval forms to your government to reinstate the trade.

In addition, any idea how you plan to vote in the world congress?

~From the desk of Wu Zetian.
    Last edited by Illven; 2016-09-03 at 08:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    By the grace of Kukulcan, we cordially invite all civilized nations of the world to the First Congress of Palenque, as well as the Chinese. It is our hope that this and all future Congresses will serve as a platform and a means to make us all a better people, and help us find lasting peace until the gods come to pass their judgment.

To that end, our first proposal is to tax all implements of war, so that no other nation suffers the same fate as Austria. We believe most of you will see the wisdom in this, and help us make it a binding agreement for all.
    While we of Ethiopa are sure that we will pay a decent amount under such a tax, since we have been building an army for necessary self-defense against potential Chinese aggression, we will certainly vote for such a measure. Peace between the nations of the world should be worth far more than all the gold in the world to any truly civilized, honorable nation.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Despite the snub given to us by the Mayan founders of the world congress, the world has asked the civilized Chinese to submit a proposal to the discussion of the world congress. It is a hard task before us, but the Chinese will rise to the occasion.

Counter to the standing army tax, which will let the savages roll right over your undefended lands, stands the world's fair. A proposal that one of our nations of the world will host as all the nations of the world come together to show the strengths of their culture.

You can vote for national harmony. Or you can vote to be overrun by savages. Your choice.

~Wu Zetian.
    Overrun by savages indeed. Just like Austria, perhaps? We will leave it to each nation to judge for themselves just who the savages are, and how best to avoid being overrun by them.

Ourselves, on the other hand, find your proposal surprisingly reasonable. What best to counter the savagery of man than a celebration of culture?

28. - Top - End - #358
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    The priests of Syrinx thank you for this trade of the gifts of life.

As for the upcoming global vote, the Moroccan Organized Defense advises our priestly leadership to vote in favor of the taxation. Although the Red Star proudly supports the second largest military, only lesser than your wonderfully organized force, the recent cultural developments of our researchers have been kind to Morocco and our economy is second to none. Thus, we believe we have distributed our wealth sufficiently to pay the global tax.

We are a reasonable people, however, and should you wish to sponsor a reason we ought to vote for your glorious project, we are open to the suggestion.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: The_Snark (America)
    Show
    Leader of America, we at the Moroccan Institute of Trade wish to know why you continually request the mutual opening of boarders between our two peoples. If you could grant us a suitable explanation as to how this might improve trade between our two peoples, the priests of Syrinx would be happy to accept your offer. Until then, only our trading convoys shall pass between boarders.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Morocco
    Show
    Just lookin' to be neighborly, partner! No skin off our backs if y'all want to keep yer distance.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!