New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 GMR 15: Return to normalcy

.... So I may or may not have broken the world congress by killing Austria during the voting turn.

Or something because world congress didn't count votes, and no one was skipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #692

Spoiler: RayGallade;Morocco
    Show

Our special forces squads. (Read X-coms) are outside your capital. Our planes are in range. Your road network lies defenseless. We offer you a parchment detailing your surrender, it only requires your signature.

We will exchange mutual embassies to formalize diplomatic channels damaged by the World war.
    In addition you will allow our troops access to your countryside, and proclaim for all the world to hear that we are friends.

~President Cassandra Truman.

(I sent you a peace deal, only accept it if you will send a free open borders deal, and a declaration of friendship on your turn.)

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    .... So I may or may not have broken the world congress by killing Austria during the voting turn.

Or something because world congress didn't count votes, and no one was skipped.
    Huh. Didn't something like that happen in the game I joined midway through as well?
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #694

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Huh. Didn't something like that happen in the game I joined midway through as well?
    That can happen when there's a player on vacation mode. Etc. World congress is not the most stable.

5. - Top - End - #695

Spoiler: Spectator bonus update
    Show

We see even the primitive Moroccans and Americans can make some advancement into the scientific arts.

As our Xpecial forces squads are attacked by American B17's.

Budapest requests units for their war.

As Hong Kong reconsiders our friendship.

And the Mayans peace out with a city state.

As city connections are built to the latest Austrian resistors.

We try to have troops surrounding my cities.

Our Xpecial forces squads wait to deploy on Moroccoan cities.

Meanwhile our air forces bomb the Ethiopia capital into submission.

And also pillage freely.

The Ethiopia capital is mine.

The palace is occupied, but we do not see their leader.

We try to get their marble online.

The Xpecial forces continue to drop.

As the mechanized infantry move back to the main land.

As our ships watch for America trying to go over the western sea.

As our airplanes re-arrange.

We offer peace to the Moroccans.

Soon. Soon we will be able to finalize the science of stealth technology, saving our bombers the risk of being intercepted.

We continue working on space ship parts.

Even Midastopia contributes to the space project.

As other cities focus on the Xcom initiative.

Strategic expo works on a market.

Why do I not have a courthouse in you?

The Ethiopian capital.

Here we see the lights of Chinese government.

For the first time in history. Men are allowed to vote in Chinese elections.

The stopza prayers appear to have worked?

Almost 500 hundreds. That's so many hammers.

Here we see the results of the tourism wars.

.... That's a terribly dumb decision Maya.

And info on Ethiopia.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I can confirm that the World Congress is broken. Not only did it not count votes, but I was not able to suggest any legislation for the upcoming cycle. Joy.

Spoiler: Illven (China)
    Show
    You would have us declare you our friend after you brutally murdered Maria Theresa and her people? Was it not enough that you drove them from their ancestral homeland? Murderers and pillagers are no friends of our temples. Consider your paper shredded and fed to the pigs.

In regards to your threats of destruction We have never attacked your people except in defending Austria and our homeland. We had hoped that the Chinese were a reasonable people. We were wrong. You are no better than the elder race, who nearly destroyed these lands while they still ruled the Moroccan Institute of Trade. Tear down the temples of Syrinx if you will, but our clergy shall resist your invaders the entire way.

You can still end this peacefully. We have observed the construction of that advanced vehicle. Our temples have no way of stopping you. Allow the gifts of life to flow within the temples of Syrinx and take to the skies. You have already torn down the United Nations with your cruel executions of the Austrians. The Ethiopians cry out to the heavens as your demonic fire scours their lands. There is nothing left that we can do to stop you. Why devour yet another land and be vilified for all eternity in the eyes of Syrinx and the world?
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

7. - Top - End - #697

World congress back up.

8. - Top - End - #698

Spoiler: Morocco;Ray gallade
    Show

Maria Theresa was given a fair trial. She was found guilty of crimes meriting an execution. She was giving chances to back down. She did not. Certainly you're nation understands that. I imagine you'd do the same to me if you had the power, and you've certainly done so to some of your citizens. Let's not besmirch war by calling it what it's not. As for not being friends with pillagers? Perhaps our sources are wrong, but they certainly seem to think you and Ethiopia are friends, and that you and Maria were.

By the way if the pigs were supposed to be an insult. You would have been better served eating it yourself. Because you know, pigs have uses.

And defending Austria involved pillaging our cargo ships? As for why take your lands? Are we really going to be not vilified if we don't? You proclaim that the United nations has been torn down, but it still stands. Lies and blasphemy towards the Chinese people happen, while other nations actions get excused.

Spoiler: Spectator update
    Show

America only finishes the manhattan project next turn.... They don't have the money to buy an a.bomb, and they only have 60 hammers a turn in their capital.

I don't think they can stop me in time.
    Last edited by Illven; 2017-05-18 at 12:22 AM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Citizens of the world, the temples of Syrinx hereby recommend immediate embargo of Chinese goods until reparations are made for the destruction of Austrian lands, the slaughter of Austrian citizens, and the execution of Maria Theresa. Unless such public apologies and repairs are made, the temples of Syrinx declare such a complete and thorough genocide as we have never seen as unpardonable. Even now Chinese invaders are descending from the skies on the high temple of Trader's Rest. Clearly, China is not content with murdering Maria Theresa, the people intend to slaughter us all until the whole world lies under Chinese rule.

Show
    Even so, there are rules of war. Maria Theresa was not a citizen of China, and thus our clergy have determined that she ought to have received a fair trial before a full international tribunal—as organized by the United Nations—instead of being executed without cause. This was murder, or an assassination, if murder offends your diplomats' delicate sensibilities. Why did China believe the Austrians to be beneath human dignity, that your soldiers marched on rightfully held Austrian lands and slaughtered innocent civilians without just cause? Even though Austria may have "pillaged" the land, our sources tell us this only happened in ancestral Austrian land. Thus, by the ancient laws it was not pillaging. Instead, it was reclaiming what was theirs by right.

Perhaps if your cargo ships had kept a better eye on the horizon, they might not have plowed directly into our priestly submersibles. Yes, Chinese sailors died in the collision, but we salvaged what we could from the wreckage.
    As for our accusations towards you regarding the United Nations, it took us a year to repair the damages your punitive invasion resulted in. You may claim not to have torn down the U.N., but at the time the destruction appeared irreparable.

We ask again: what actions have the temples of Syrinx taken against China? Even through this world war, no priest of Syrinx ever landed on Chinese soil, nor did we fire upon Chinese soldiers until your forces preemptively struck. Study the annals of history and you will find zero evidence of aggression by our holy warriors.

This embargo we are recommending can be voted down. All you must do is withdraw your forces from our grounds, cease your pointless and petty invasion of the temples of Syrinx, and make reparations to be negotiated on for the devastation you wrought on the defenseless Austrians.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

10. - Top - End - #700

China intends to defend itself. Last we checked we were not at war with Portugal. Nor are we with Mongolia. Because they were not a threat to Chinese sovereignty. The only person who intends to see the world under their rule is yourself if your recent domination of the United nations tell us anything.

Spoiler: Raygallade;Morocco
    Show

A fair trial would have never happened as long as Ethiopia is in the world congress. We doubt it would happen in any case, but we know for a fact it could not happen with Ethiopia. As for an assassination. Assassination is a subset of murder. If something is a murder, it cannot be an assassination.

As for the pillaging your sources are wrong. Or is Midastopia, or the Chinese capital ancient Austrian land? If so, please tell us. What parts of the world ancestrally belong to China?

You attempt to offer a carrot. Because you have no sticks. But what you fail to see is the carrot is only a carrot in your own mind.

Spoiler: Spectator war update
    Show

We had thought they had already done this. America just now unlocked the study of the atom. They will not be able to stop the spaceship in time.

Morocco attempts to work in an embargo on Chinese ships. However we imagine we will be one with the stars by the time the embargo may take effect.

The Mayans attempt their own spaceship. However construction is slow and halting.

Our Xpecial forces squads prepare to drop into American lands.

Here we see the Americans working on an a.bomb.

Let's crash their party.

We will tear down this road!

We have reason to believe we have almost perfected stealth technology.

We of course also pillage the Moroccans.

We also spot this carrier loaded with b-52 bombers. (It was at full health.) that we managed to sink to the ocean floor.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: @Illven
    Show
    Regarding your mention of your capital being on Austrian land: How did that come about? Do you have some sort of mod or something that allows you to move your capital?

12. - Top - End - #702

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

The reason I brought that up, is because both Ethiopia and Austria pillaged lands in Midastopia, and Transylvania. We're saying that the claim that Austria only pillaged lands that Austria owned in the past, is either mistaken of false.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Show

The reason I brought that up, is because both Ethiopia and Austria pillaged lands in Midastopia, and Transylvania. We're saying that the claim that Austria only pillaged lands that Austria owned in the past, is either mistaken of false.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So did you rename Beijing to something else, and then found a city called Beijing later?

14. - Top - End - #704

Show

Yes actually. To Transylvania. Thus when I eventually founded my southern city for uranium and oil, it saw the first name wasn't taken by a city. (Because I renamed it) and gave the name Beijing to it.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

China accuses the temples of Syrinx of dominating the United Nations. And yet instead of us pursuing domination by suggesting the entire world accept the teachings of our priests and thus directing further power to our temples, we encourage each nation to pursue its own religion.

China claims that our clergy are a threat to them. And yet no warrior priest has ever stepped foot on Chinese land, nor sailed Chinese waters, with intent to harm the Chinese. Our temple guards did not even fire upon the Chinese until we first were attacked. Much worse can be said for China, who airdrops soldiers on the doorstep of our holy temples and bombs our citizens. We once again call upon the world to recognize the threat of Chinese aggression. If the Red Star falls, who is next?

China will claim that we started the hostilities by pillaging their trading vessels. And yet it was a foolish captain of a Chinese vessel who brazenly plowed into the side of our guardian submersible. Certainly it would be a waste not to salvage any lost goods, nor to pull survivors from the wreckage.

Show
    And yet as a member nation of the United Nations, you are bound by the rules of war just as we, Ethiopia, America, and even Austria are. Your flagrant disregard for the codes of honor drives us to denounce you.

Perhaps our sources were mistaken. We were led to believe that the only land Austrian soldiers reached was under the sway of the former Golden Hub. You know as well as us that China has claim to your own capital. Do not place words into our priests' mouths.

We may be stickless, but we shall stand against your invaders for as long as we can. Our offer shall remain on the table as a sign of good faith, despite your foul treatment of Maria Theresa.

16. - Top - End - #706

I come here on this day to report the capture of Haile Selassie by Chinese forces.

(GG Zevox. Well played)

[More stuff to come soon.]

Because you do not have quite the level of domination to force it though. I, and America, and Portugal, and even the Mayans would move to stop you. It is easy to claim to not want to do a thing, that you know has no chance of success anyway.

As for our forces firing first. That was only in response to a threat. We didn't fire at you out of the blue, we even warned you what would happen if you didn't back down. The fact that your ships weren't ready to fire is no fault of the Chinese.

As for who is next if you fall, that depends. Does America have it in them to bend the knee? If so, then no one will be next. If not they will be next, and most likely the last.

Spoiler: Morocco;RayGallade
    Show

An unequally applied law is not a just law. And an unjust law is no law at all. And your recent proclamations that we are honorless? I have to wonder if we actually got Halie. Or if I'm talking to him now. It'd be a shame if I had to Ethopia or Austria Morocco.

Spoiler: Spectator war update
    Show

America manages to take out a few of our xpeical forces squads.

The citizens of Mogadishu request that we construct a trade route for them.

As the Mayans manage to convince Lhasa to ally with them.

Letting us make peace with them.

(I think we forgot to renew this deal.)

Meanwhile our new xpecial forces squad comes out of training.

Even our advanced planes continue to improve.

Having finished stealth technology, our scientists try to understand how to harness the powers of the sun.

We also check for additional carriers.

As we start turning our air power on Ethiopia's last remnants.

Minos Anor has fallen.

Meanwhile it's a pillaging party. In America!

Transylvania starts work on it's last contribution to the starship.

As does Midastopia.

Guangzhou continues on X-com squads.

As does Southharbor.

And Northington.

Lost in thoughts however works on a paratrooper.

Here we see the form of the Chinese government.

The united nations.

China is best at everything, but raw population and happiness.

The result of our and Mayan tourism.

Information on our fellow rivals and foes.
    Last edited by Illven; 2017-05-21 at 07:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

And yet our decision not to push our own agenda speaks volumes about the difference between China and our Holy Temples.

And what threat did our vessels pose to you? We recall that we agreed to allow our cavalry to land on Austrian land. Meanwhile, your vessels and airships blasted our ships in international waters, hardly a threat to Chinese sovereignty.

You may destroy our temples, tear down and burn the gifts of life within their walls, and slaughter our citizens, but know the words of Syrinx will continue forever. Your people will be denounced as long as there remain citizens free of your influence.

We call upon Maria I to join us and General Washington in resisting Chinese domination of the world. Surely you must realize it is bad for business to work with a business partner who has no qualms about murdering potential competition.

Show
    And just how is international law unequally applied? You are the only one to murder a leader of a free nation. And now our sources tell us that you once again have committed murder. And this time you do not have the excuse of Haile Selassie having a seat in the judgment seat. Tell us, Truman, what do you gain from this? You know we cannot threaten your lands and each unlawful execution turns the rest of the world further and further against you.

18. - Top - End - #708

Chinese domination of the world will not be happening.

For China will leave this sad world behind to colonize the starts.

Post game thoughts to come shortly.

Spoiler: Post game thoughts
    Show

My military. X-com squads supported by some highly promoted planes.

Yes, Ray. I could have taken your cap this turn. I chose not to so as to make any post game thoughts you write up easier.

Now. Here we see this carrier loaded with planes for me. Talking to Thesnark over steam, and due to Thesnark having spies in Midastopia, they informed me that effectively they knew I was going win at least a few turns ago. Their plan was to try and a.bomb my capital to slow spaceship parts. However, their first carrier was sunk by my bombers. They weren't aware that I had fighters in Ethopia's south city. So even though they stayed outside my territories LOS. My plane spotted them. I proceeded to sink them with bombers. Got 5 b17's with that. Their second carrier was intended to include a plane to try and shoot down any bombers that approached.

But Stealth bombers are immune to interception damage. (Evasion is actually a slight misname. It doesn't reduce the odds of the plane being intercepted. It's a percentage based reduction of the damage from interception. Stealth bombers have evasion 100. So they take no damage. They also use up your enemies interceptions anyway. So after you send in the stealth bombers. Any bombers you might have are more free to attack. (Granted if they have more AA then you have stealth bombers, any regular bombers you have are screwed if you send them in, but...))

My science. Me and the Mayans were at the top of the pack for science the entire game. Based on what Narkis and I discussed after he left though. I think Narkis would have won this game if he had stayed. His plan was to put a city somewhere around Beijing is now. He then would have rushed brought an airport in that city. And possibly an a.bomb. He then would have sent blitz paratroopers into the airported city, and then dropped on my capital with the bomb, and then paratroopers.

And with me being the villain of the world, I doubt the other nations would have cared.

Besides that I was massively ahead of the tech game. Reading the spectator posts, right before the great ending war. When Ethiopia said he had 4 scientist, I literally laughed, because I knew that in the early days of the war I had 8.

By the end of the game..... 14? 15? Granted not all of them were useful... I guess stealth didn't hurt...

Interesting anecdote. At the start of War of the Western Peninsula, I bulbed three great scientist to get the tech to construct atomic weaponry. At the time I was less then thrilled about having to use scientist early. But after my ideology change my science was slightly lower. So really it was the best time to use them.

At my peak I was making about 1050 science. That fell to around 930 after I lost worker's facilities. At the end I was actually making under 900 science. Just because. Why work those slots, I'm literally done tech wise.

Here we see tradition's wet dream. I mean my capital.

But seriously all jokes aside this city was an amazing hydro plant city, the triple river system running to the side of it meant that about half of it's tiles were river tiles. In addition the wonders it got were nice. Hanging gardens means my city is the largest in the world. Even beating out the Mayan's quite nice Petra cap. Notre dame, was a nice amount of happiness to grow out my cities after the Austria conflict. I think Louvre and Globe threatre were during a time my cap didn't have much to work on. In addition I faith brought the engineers for hubble and the fire wall. The telescope was worth two great scientists, and speeder construction times on my spaceship parts. (The game would still be going on, if I didn't have that.) And the firewall was done to prevent the AI from getting a tourism win. Before I built it, I was getting like sub 20 turns on the Mayan's turns to being influential to me. This was before international games. Ideally Portugal would have built it, (Because they had even more culture) but I didn't think their tech level was high enough to. So I did it, and ended up kneecapping people's spies stealing my tech.

Midastopia wasn't bad. I would have preferred that river a few tiles up. But the city ended up being close enough to my capital to win a turn earlier then I was expecting. Actually with two late game strategic resources, two luxuries, horses, and a bunch of bonus resources, it's actually quite good.

Here we have Guangzhou, Austria complained about lack of space, but I suffered from the same problem myself. This city doesn't even have a unique lux. In any case, it was a decent city besides that.

The Austrian cities, in order that I was impressed by them. Northington had the great lighthouse for me, so that was nice. But honestly my willingness to sell it at the end there wasn't fake. I just didn't consider it a good city. (For most of the game I could never really work the production tiles) Southharbor I expected to be bad. It's a guild city, what can you do. Lost in thoughts was the best thanks to all the hills. Send it a food cargo ship, and it's production was very good for such a low pop city.

From early in the game, as soon as I saw that I was on a peninsula I knew I needed to annex more lands. I figured with me next to only Austria and Ethiopia, and with Austria not having hills or woods for defense of Southharbor, that it would not be hard to take Austria. I could use my general from the fighting to citadel their cap if I needed to. The fact that I only had one other neighbor to war me helped.

I ended up becoming an international pariah. But... I'm not confident my three cities would have been enough to win.

And here we see my strategic resource city. Settled on uranium so it can't be pillaged, with oil to the southwest.

Ethiopia's cities. I kept Midas Tirth to keep watch for America trying to sneak a carrier by.

So funny story about the war. Turns out the most detailed plan I had involving a war with Ethiopia was "And maybe I'll a.bomb them." However Austria saw me I think deleting obsolete troops. Assumed I was moving them. And told Ethiopia. Ethiopia assuming I was going to war again, made plans to strike at me. I saw the Austrian declaration of war, and assumed that Ethiopia was responsible once I saw the 6 infantry right outside his capital. (There was some possibility in my mind that it was actually America, but I was like 85-90 percent sure it was Ethiopia.) Bribed Panama city, and the rest was history.

The burning of Austrian lands.

Interesting side note. My original plans included after I conquer Austria to take a city state. I had originally intended for it to be Gesyer pass. But then I got three cities from Austria and I was unsure I'd be able to support 7 cities on a tradition skeleton.

Later on in the game I kept the city from the Austrians because it had enough reach to let me a.bomb Austrian lands with impunity.

Policies. Full tradition and Rationalism.

I took order for one simple reason. I kinda figured if I got to ideology first, the Mayans would take whatever I didn't take and force through world ideology. If what I took was freedom that could be disastrous to my happiness.

Order has more happiness. Of course, Morocco forced through world ideology freedom. The good intelligence I had by the way was Narkis telling me outright after the game that he didn't intend to vote world ideology freedom once America went autocracy. So Morocco tried screwing me.

World congress. Wasn't able to do much with that, thanks to being an international pariah. Except for Portugal.

Top of the demographics in everything except population right now.

The AI had an insane tourism game.

Five turns too slow to effect the game.

9 petra tiles....Jeez.

Only America and Maya in the information era at this point.

Note. This confirms there's no info era united nations. There would have been a call once I genocided Austria and America hit info.

Any questions?
    Last edited by Illven; 2017-05-24 at 03:48 AM.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

No questions, but thanks to everyone for posting spectator updates! I know it must be a pain to do, but I at least appreciate it a lot!

Ooh ooh, I actually do have a question - when are you starting up a new game to replace this?

Spoiler
    Show

Just kidding, the other threads are interesting enough anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

20. - Top - End - #710

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    No questions, but thanks to everyone for posting spectator updates! I know it must be a pain to do, but I at least appreciate it a lot!

Ooh ooh, I actually do have a question - when are you starting up a new game to replace this?

Spoiler
    Show

Just kidding, the other threads are interesting enough anyway.
    If I was convinced at least 7 people would join. I'd start one now.

But I know Ray is civ 5'd out for now at least.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Give me about half a month until after I've finished my undergraduate thesis and graduated and then I might have the energy back to go up to two games again.

Final spectator update to follow once my final turn comes up

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'd volunteer but I'm too cheap to pay for extra game slots.

I didn't chime in before now but this was a really entertaining game to watch. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2017-05-25 at 07:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A special address to the United Nations from High Priest Ahmad al-Mansur

Citizens of the world, the Chinese have launched their vessel to the stars. We cannot claim to understand the significance, but to President Casandra Truman (may her voyage be long), I congratulate your people as you have taken to space. May you find success among the stars where there are no cities, temples, or foreign leaders to slaughter. May you discover wondrous new planets and even perhaps new species. Know, however, that despite your power and influence, you shall see no trade from our lands or any others. Turn to the lesser nations of the world if you must, no gold from the tithes to Syrinx shall ever travel to Chinese lands.

Spoiler
    Show

May the gifts of life within our walls bless you all.

High Priest of Syrinx and Chairman of the United Nations Ahmad al-Mansur

An overview of the Temples of Syrinx

Spoiler: Mountain Prime
    Show

Here we see Mountain Prime, largely untouched by the Chinese invasion. It ended up being one of my primary production and religious cities, especially considering I had Mount Saini for religion. Unfortunately, I missed an early religion to truly focus on it. Having Florence and Mongolia pushing in on my borders did not help anything.

Spoiler: Border Central
    Show

Border Central. Really, this was more of a way to provide support to Mt. Secunde in the event of attack. It also helped me justify the long road to connect the cities. Mongolia settling to the north along with M'banza-Kongo expanding at the wrong time hurt me here as well. While Border Central didn't do much in the long term, it helped solidify diplomatic relations with Ethiopia for the entire game.

Spoiler: Mt. Secunde
    Show

Mt. Secunde was far to ambitious. Too far from my capital to support, too close to America for comfort. I really stretched on this one. Still, it served me as my best military city with all the hills and Mt. Kilimanjaro. I seriously thought I was going to lose it in the midgame when America threatened invasion, though everything eventually worked out.

Spoiler: Port Interior
    Show

Port Interior was never meant to be a major city. Its main purpose was so I could trade with America over the inland sea. For that, it did a great job. Otherwise, I should have never let it get as big as it did, though all the trading posts certainly gave me the gold I needed.

Spoiler: Port Bountiful
    Show

Port Bountiful never got close to serving its intended purpose. I built it so I could trade with Austria, only for the war to break out right as I completed the city. Without any vision out to the west, I couldn't trade with anyone but Zevox from here. Still, it served as a decent launching point for my ill-fated attempt at rescuing Austria.

Spoiler: Trader's Rest
    Show

Trader's Rest: Unconquered, jungled, free of Chinese boots. Unfortunately, it was also nearly useless for a nation that is supposed to have a desert bias start. I built Machu Pichu since I was focusing on getting my road network to be worth the gold investment. Outside of that and the Pyramids, I missed out on wonders entirely. Trader's Rest was never well designed for production, though science and gold were quite handy.

Spoiler: Reflections
    Show
    I think my first major mistake this game was taking Liberty. Sure, I ended with six cities and got the Pyramids. But my science was complete garbage this entire game. Probably didn't help that I didn't get Rationalism until after my ideology, which hurt my chances. I had tons of trading posts and didn't get the science boost from them until it was too late. Gold wasn't much of a problem, but I didn't really have much that I could do until I started pushing the coalition of Dodger, Zevox, and myself.

By the time of midgame, I never thought I would be pushing for the number two spot in victory. Up until Narkis had to leave, I was certain I would be relegated to the kingmaker spot. I was powerful enough in gold to start pushing the World Congress, but not enough to ever secure any major role. Illven had science almost completely locked down. Narkis had the culture lead, which left me unable to secure any of the culture wonders. Otherwise, things looked pretty rough.

I will admit that I was somewhat upset by my starting location. A desert bias with my nearest desert being a series of flood plains? Narkis getting Desert Folklore AND Petra? That left me pretty much out of luck, especially with Mountain Prime and Mt. Secunde, either one of which would have benefited entirely from both of those. I seriously think the game got confused and gave my start bias to the Maya.

Losing Narkis also seriously hurt my science. Since we had an arrangement for me to spy on him, having the AI take over left me without a safe haven for my spies. I also nearly surrendered when he accidently killed my secret agent, since that left me severely crippled. As it was, I had been planning to take Autocracy until it got sniped.

I always intended to sail across to return The Golden Hub to Austria. Unfortunately, my navy never materialized in time for my forces to stand a chance. And by the time I had a navy, my artillery was outdated. All in all, I was never much of a military force this game.

Well played everyone and congrats on your win, Illven. This was a lot of fun, even though things got heated. I hope future games do not result in us attacking each other personally. Roleplaying, I was fine with. It was when we started to impugn each others' character that things got a little difficult for me to keep wanting to play.