New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 GMR 15: Return to normalcy

My start is poor enough that I won't oppose another restart of some sort if enough people want it, but I'm not going to ask for one either. Feels like it would be selfish to insist that I get a certain minimum quality to my starting position - very different from restarting because someone who went random got a weird, terrible Civ that few people would want to play.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, this is getting out of hand. The way I see it, we got three options and I'm not going to use host's prerogative to choose this time. I'll need everyone's vote on this. So, choose your preference all. And no abstaining!

A) Go back to the previous game.
    B) Keep the current one.
    C) Restart ONE LAST TIME. No (more) take backsies.

I vote for C. And since no one needs to change civ, I should be able to revert to me and upload a new save without everyone having to rejoin, again.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it might be worth considering whether enough of you want a 'normal game of civ'. Because from what I'm seeing in this thread I am getting the impression a fair percentage of you would honestly be happier picking one of the more balanced map types, pulling-up whatever civ tier list you lot most agree on and limiting selection based on that.

Because having 'imbalanced' civs and start locations is normal civ, and if a lot of people are requesting resetting the game until they get better rolls on this, maybe a game type that involves a lot less of this would serve you better?
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2016-03-05 at 04:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

I choose D

In all actually I choose B. Sorry, but as much as I'm annoyed that Ryuho right now. A poor starting location is not the same thing as rolling Venice.

Expand to some horses, and conquer your neighbors if you need better lands.
    Last edited by Illven; 2016-03-05 at 04:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd like to see my starting position first.

Maybe set Resources to Abundant or Legendary Start to mitigate this type of situation?

I don't really want to go back to Venice, as that would leave me with all of one option going forward, and it's not something I would want to inflict on anyone.
    Last edited by Ryuho Tsugu; 2016-03-05 at 04:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    I think it might be worth considering whether enough of you want a 'normal game of civ'. Because from what I'm seeing in this thread I am getting the impression a fair percentage of you would honestly be happier picking one of the more balanced map types, pulling-up whatever civ tier list you lot most agree on and limiting selection based on that.

Because having 'imbalanced' civs and start locations is normal civ, and if a lot of people are requesting resetting the game until they get better rolls on this, maybe a game type that involves a lot less of this would serve you better?
    I don't think that's the problem here. If we'd rolled the second start from the beginning, no one would be asking for a restart. There'd just be the regural grumbling about poor starting locations. But I screwed up with the random civ, and in my effort to fix this I ended up screwing someone else. It's unfair to Croverus and anyone else who got a worse second start. And that's why I voted for C.

Of course, there's always D) Scrap this game and let Ilven host. He'll do a better job at it. And I'm leaning towards that more and more.

7. - Top - End - #67

Yeah, like... if we do re-restart, that should be it, no more.

I honestly don't even know what the current game looks like for me, and I don't care. I'm okay with everything except reverting (option A), and only because I went and leaked info.

I'll vote C, only because now all of us know that the Mongols are in a jungle with no horses, so both options A and B involve leaked information.
    Last edited by DodgerH2O; 2016-03-05 at 05:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuho Tsugu View Post
    I'd like to see my starting position first.

Maybe set Resources to Abundant or Legendary Start to mitigate this type of situation?

I don't really want to go back to Venice, as that would leave me with all of one option going forward, and it's not something I would want to inflict on anyone.
    So, Ryuho, everyone who had played their turn were happy with their starting locations the first time, and expressed dissapproval with their second ones. I understand not voting A, but why do you want to see your starting location first? If you get an amazing start, are you really not going to vote C, after half the players were willing to re-roll to help you?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Alright, this is getting out of hand. The way I see it, we got three options and I'm not going to use host's prerogative to choose this time. I'll need everyone's vote on this. So, choose your preference all. And no abstaining!

A) Go back to the previous game.
    B) Keep the current one.
    C) Restart ONE LAST TIME. No (more) take backsies.

I vote for C. And since no one needs to change civ, I should be able to revert to me and upload a new save without everyone having to rejoin, again.
    I'm equally okay with B or C. I wouldn't want to force a player to use a Civ he doesn't want to by taking A, but I'm willing to accept either a poor start or to re-roll one final time if enough people want to do that.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #70

I just did some research on Legendary Start, and it might be appropriate for this game if enough of us are that particular (I'm personally fine with Standard and the RNG). Keep in mind that it will also make your capital a lot better looking to certain warmonger civs that are definitely going to be in this game, so it's a mixed blessing.
    Last edited by DodgerH2O; 2016-03-05 at 05:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm less upset about no horses and more that I'm completely surrounded by jungles. And marshes. For 3 tiles every way. Exploring my surroundings will be harder, development will take longer, etc.

So I vote C. Probably with Legendary start. If I get thrown in the middle of a jungle twice then I'll suck it up.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Just going to add that I'd prefer to just go with normal rules rather than toss in something extra like Legendary Start. If the majority wants it I won't complain, but if we're voting on that, my vote is opposed.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Civ 5 Multiplayer 5: Empire Strikes Back (Giant Multiplayer Robot, GnK+BNW)

All I know is that I never got to see my start from the first game and haven't seen this game's starting location for me either. My preference would be to just take the hand we're dealt and move on with the game. In short, vote B.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say "no" to legendary start as well. This game was supposed to be a nice, normal game of civ 5. We've hid some snags along the way, but that hasn't changed the plan as far as I'm concerned.

Also, Zevox, could you please express your preference? Saying you're fine with either doesn't help us get out of the predicament.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Zevox, could you please express your preference? Saying you're fine with either doesn't help us get out of the predicament.
    ...the problem being that I don't really have a specific preference. I'm not eager to see Croverus feel like he got screwed over by his start position, and it would probably benefit me on average if we re-rolled - but at the same time I feel it would be selfish of me to take the latter into consideration here, and well, bad starting positions are just a part of the game, so this feels like a less legit reason to re-roll all around. So, I'm split.

I suppose if you need a tiebreaker or something, consider me a vote for C, just to minimize the odds of anyone feeling screwed over, since nobody who has taken a turn yet has been too pleased with their start in this one. But, really, my opinion is "whichever of B or C that most people prefer is fine."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'll finish my first turn so others can see where they are at, but my vote remains C. It will be a few hours till I get home to my computer.

17. - Top - End - #77

So, Ryuho, everyone who had played their turn were happy with their starting locations the first time, and expressed dissapproval with their second ones. I understand not voting A, but why do you want to see your starting location first? If you get an amazing start, are you really not going to vote C, after half the players were willing to re-roll to help you?
    Curiosity. If I did get an amazing start, I'll have something to laugh at.

Since everyone is going C, I'll go C too.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I'm okay with a second restart if that's the consensus, but on the condition that this really is the last time. Bad* start locations are something you've just got to roll with sometimes.

*or at least unorthodox, I think jungle start locations are a bit better than they're given credit for
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

So, everyone has made their choice, and option C wins with a slim 5-3. This WILL be the last restart. I'll try to do this on the current GMR game. Wish me luck.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Ok, Uploading my turn so everyone can see there starting area.

Edit: Or... should I just wait?
    Last edited by Croverus; 2016-03-05 at 08:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    Ok, Uploading my turn so everyone can see there starting area.

Edit: Or... should I just wait?
    Too late, I've restarted. This should work. Good luck everyone!

And feel free to look at my previous spoiler if you're curious about my second start position.

Spoiler: spectators. My third start.
    Show

Odd to have desert Maya, but I'll take it. It'll be a rough start. If only I can get desert folklore and petra...
    Last edited by Narkis; 2016-03-05 at 09:01 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I like my new position better at first glance. One concern about it comes to mind, but I think it's probably better than my second.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: For spectators and Narkis (Because I'm an idiot, and looked at his spoiler
    Show

One tradition. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Much more like my first one.

25. - Top - End - #85

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

[Actual bonus resources and more than one copy of a luxury? Madness! I just wish that wheat was on the riverbank.]

26. - Top - End - #86

Show
    Long ago, in the mists of time, the Austrian culture began. Settled in a fertile coastal valley, the Hub of their land was destined to prosper.
    (http://i.imgur.com/wqxAsTi.jpg)

OOC: Still have Gold, which will be helpful (an additional Gold resource showed up once I settled, not pictured here), but Petra doesn't look like an option with this start. Whales and a coastal start gives me motivation to research Sailing and Optics, but I'm going to open with a pantheon grab. I have a couple decent choices depending on if I want Faith or Culture, but that's quite a bit in the future. I'll update again when more significant things occur. My long-term plans will depend a lot on what and who my Scouts find, but I'm going to roleplay Austria as a mercantile civ. My focus will be on gold, gold, and gold. I'll need soldiers to defend my wealth, but I hope to remain neutral in any major conflicts. We'll see how that goes...

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Marble's nice. Spices are okay. Lack of anything else is unfortunate. I've chosen to move my settler west, in order to found my capital on proper coastline instead of a lake.

On the bright side, ancient ruins to the south.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Just a heads up: I am driving from Tampa, Florida up to North Carolina so won't be able to do my turn for 8 hours. Should get it done tonight.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    A Traveler's Guide to Morocco
    Behold, wonderful travelers, the great city of Marrakech, founded along the beautiful Ourika river. This land appears fertile and will allow us to flourish. However, our pilgrims have discovered something perhaps even more beautiful just to our north.

Observe! It is the great mountain of wisdom. Even now, in our early days, our great thinkers are drawing up plans to settle alongside this monolith of greatness. Travelers are advised to wait for an official Moroccan presence there, however, before visiting.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: For Spectators
    Show
    [Can't get my screen shots to work, they keep saving them as 3-d images ]

"The city of Karakorum had been settled on the banks of a river for some time, a monument to our great leader Croverus being erected to honor him and spread out our borders. Our warriors traveled east, crossing rugged desert and finding the blue salt plains, of which we cannot tread. They found ruins which revealed land across the ever rolling plains but no easy way to cross the blue, Heading south they have spotted more ruins after crossing a massive desert for years. With the completion of our monument we begin recruiting men to spread north and west to further our knowledge of the land. We have spotted herds of dear nearby and have come across sheep. There si also wheat close by and incense. Across the river there are white stones up in the hills. We begin the search for horses, with whom our people share a special bond. We shall soon know if there are any nearby herds that we can tame."