New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 GMR 15: Return to normalcy

Spoiler: Mongolia (Croverus)
    Show
    Greetings. I see our scouts have bumped into each other in the far east, not far from Mayan and American territory. I've offered an exchange of diplomatic embassies to start us off on the right foot.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    So. After Ryuho's hypocriticalness in 12, I'm going to need to be convinced not to drop.
    Are you saying you want to drop this game due to events in 12?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
    Are you saying you want to drop this game due to events in 12?
    Specifically because Ryuho's in the game, and I'm pissed that he throws a hissy fit if he gets sneak attacked, but gladly engages in a 4v1 on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #214

Well, for myself I really prefer an all human player roster in these games, so I'd prefer you stay in and try to resolve your differences out of game.

5. - Top - End - #215

After calming down, and speaking to other players.

While relations have permanently soured with the Portugal empire. I'll stay in.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #216

[I will retire as leader of Portugal after my next turn because I'd rather not be a toxic influence on this game.]

Spoiler: Instructions for anyone taking up the mantle of Maria
    Show
    My goal was to win a cultural victory. At the time of writing, I am close to enhancing my religion with the remaining religious building, the cathedral. With that and two more policies to get the reformation belief that provides tourism from religious buildings, the plan is to settle a number of cities, even in sub-optimal spots, in order to get as much tourism as possible before the major culture boosts (like the Sistine Chapel) come into play.

7. - Top - End - #217

I dropped so you don't have leave.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: Ethiopia(Zevox)
    Show
    Indeed, finding you makes the last civilization we expect to see in this world. We are happy to exchange diplomatic relations. We are close friends with our nearest neighbors, Morocco. And while we have established embassies with all others, we have yet to trust any of them, as most offer us very little, other than luxuries to give us in exchange for our excess. While acceptable, we do not trust the Americans. They have a scout trapped in our territory, we are waiting for him to leave across the waters, or be disbanded. We assume there is no other reason for it to be in our land so leaving it here would serve no purpose but to spy on our cities. Once we can determine whether or not we can trust the Americans... well our people can make further plans with them. Know that the Mongolians back the Moroccans. They are skilled traders. You should seek them out for trade if you have not already done so.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: America
    Show
    You have established a city on the land bridge we were planning on claiming as ours and you have a scout in our territory. Disband the scout at once and we may overlook your slight of encroaching on our lands. Do not and we will take that city from you.

Spoiler: Morocco
    Show
    The Americans have colonized just east of us after being warned not to. We are giving them one chance to make a deal and if they refuse to make amends we are waging war with them. Can we expect your support during these dark times?

Spoiler: Ethiopia
    Show
    It seems the Americans are NOT to be trusted. Their scout remains in our lands and they have colonized on our eastern border after being told not to encroach so close. We will be taking the city they have placed on our lands. If you have any grudges against them, now would be a good time to use them. We only want that city, after that we have no further issue with them, unless we can be given a reason to have more of one.

Spoiler: Portugal
    Show
    The Americans have colonized on a land bridge just east of my cities and close to you. There were told not to. This move is an aggressive act of colonization. We plan to take their city. There are currently some barbarians just south east of your city, behind a mountain. I have men clearing the camp but will leave it for you to take if you'd like to help me. These Americans need to learn to respect borders.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus View Post
    Show
    Indeed, finding you makes the last civilization we expect to see in this world. We are happy to exchange diplomatic relations. We are close friends with our nearest neighbors, Morocco. And while we have established embassies with all others, we have yet to trust any of them, as most offer us very little, other than luxuries to give us in exchange for our excess. While acceptable, we do not trust the Americans. They have a scout trapped in our territory, we are waiting for him to leave across the waters, or be disbanded. We assume there is no other reason for it to be in our land so leaving it here would serve no purpose but to spy on our cities. Once we can determine whether or not we can trust the Americans... well our people can make further plans with them. Know that the Mongolians back the Moroccans. They are skilled traders. You should seek them out for trade if you have not already done so.
    Show
    I still have one that I have yet to meet - Portugal, it looks like. And I have met the Moroccans, they are my northern neighbors, and we've already negotiated over territory once. And may have to do so again, but I'll see to that when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus
    Show
    It seems the Americans are NOT to be trusted. Their scout remains in our lands and they have colonized on our eastern border after being told not to encroach so close. We will be taking the city they have placed on our lands. If you have any grudges against them, now would be a good time to use them. We only want that city, after that we have no further issue with them, unless we can be given a reason to have more of one.
    Show
    I have no quarrel with the Americans at this point. They're well east of my lands, and we've barely interacted. And I am not interested in conquering anyway, even if they were closer to me.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

I seem to have somehow overlooked/forgotten that it was my turn, and ended up skipped; could I get a revert? It's not vitally important but I don't really want to let it pass, only to find out that the AI messed up my barbarian-purging efforts.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I seem to have somehow overlooked/forgotten that it was my turn, and ended up skipped; could I get a revert? It's not vitally important but I don't really want to let it pass, only to find out that the AI messed up my barbarian-purging efforts.
    Not up to me, but I'm fine with it, for what it's worth.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

In that case, I'll hold off on taking my turn.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RayGallade View Post
    In that case, I'll hold off on taking my turn.
    Actually, with it being your turn, you should be able to revert it yourself. Illven had me do it myself once, when I ran into issues getting it to load for my turn.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Turn has been reverted
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, reverted.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

Look around at this world we've made
    Equality our stock in trade
    Come and join the Brotherhood of Man
    Oh, what a nice, contented world
    Let the banners be unfurled
    Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand

In the year 680 BC, the priests of the temples of Syrinx rose up and assumed control of the Moroccan Institute of Trade. Preaching of the how they alone held the gifts of life, they brought food to the masses.

Spoiler: Mongolia
    Show
    While we cannot offer any aid to you at the moment, should our forces become strong enough to launch an invasion of America, know that the MIT shall be at your side. As a side note, are you interested in hearing the words of Syrinx?

18. - Top - End - #228

I'd like to try to replace our missing players ASAP, I have a personal stake here due to being penned in by China, who is now an AI and who will therefore most likely decide my diplomatic gestures up to this point were of no use and decide my lands belong to them, or at least be unreasonable about neutral happiness lux trades and the like.

19. - Top - End - #229

Hey, question. If the AI hasn't already, would it be possible to shoot me a invite link for a couple of turns so when China's religion is founded I can name it Mulanism, instead of whatever other lame religion the AI will choose?

It'd only be for a couple of turns, (partly because I've read spoilers already) I'll do what I was going to do till religion is founded, then drop and you guys can go back to hating me for ruining the game.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Here you go. But I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd much prefer it if you and Ryuho worked things out and came back for good.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Hey, question. If the AI hasn't already, would it be possible to shoot me a invite link for a couple of turns so when China's religion is founded I can name it Mulanism, instead of whatever other lame religion the AI will choose?

It'd only be for a couple of turns, (partly because I've read spoilers already) I'll do what I was going to do till religion is founded, then drop and you guys can go back to hating me for ruining the game.
    You did not ruin the game and I sincerely doubt anyone here hates you. If you don't want to completely return to the game after what happened last weekend that's up to you, but as Narkis said, you'd be welcome back if you did.

22. - Top - End - #232

So Mulanism was formed. THE PROPEHCY gave me foreknowledge.

Would everyone want me back? I read spoilers, but I did have a plan before my meltdown.

23. - Top - End - #233

I'd prefer you come back, with spoiler knowledge or not, player > AI.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I would be fine with you back. Humans are much better than AI

25. - Top - End - #235

Spoiler: Mongolia
    Show
    OOC: Had to "declare war" to get through the shallows near your port city. I should have moved far enough that it won't blockade you on accident and sent a peace offer with re-establishing embassies.

Spoiler: Ethiopia
    Show
    OOC: I had sent a GPT offer with a portion of my proceeds from the trade route, but I had literally one hex without visibility and it turns out there was a barbarian galley there. So... now I have no income, and I didn't realize but pillaged sea routes can spawn land units! I'm likely to be too occupied defending my lands to resume the trade for a bit. Sorry.

Also, your southern port city is on a sea that's blocked by ice to the west. I'm not sure if sea routes can pass through ice hexes or not, but it's also much further than your northern port city from my lands.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Austria (DodgerH20)
    Show
    Ah, that sucks. Particularly since I don't think the game stops the deal or allows either of us to cancel it early, so I think that means for the time being, you're just losing money on me that you're not getting replaced. Sorry.

And dang, I did not know that about my southern city. I've only just had a scout start exploring the lands west of me, as I mentioned, and haven't seen that area yet. I'm pretty sure ice spaces cannot be traversed except by air, so yeah, no luck there. Fortunately I don't think there's such a blockage east of it, so it can still be useful as a port, but it does suck to learn it's cut off from the west that way.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Croverus
    Show
    You have established a city on the land bridge we were planning on claiming as ours and you have a scout in our territory. Disband the scout at once and we may overlook your slight of encroaching on our lands. Do not and we will take that city from you.
    Spoiler: Mongols
    Show
    Funny story, partner - the boys who built Philly were gonna settle on one of those little islands south of you, nice and close to the capital, but then someone went and founded a city just a smidge too close. So they had t' go find someplace else. If you wanted that someplace else, well... seems to me that's what y'might call poetic justice.

As for the scouts, lemme get this straight: you trap one of our boys within your borders, and somehow that's our fault?

Might wanna take a good long look at your priorities, friend.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    ooc: I'm sorry, meant to write this a lot sooner but RL got in the way.

The Mayan people initially begrudged you for founding a city so close to Palenque, but the Immortal Watcher Pacal has since helped us see our error. The land belongs to those who work it, and we had no right to resent you for your eagerness to claim your portion of what is the gods' gift to us all. Please accept our apologies for this grudge, however short-lived and inconsequential it was. We wish for nothing but to be friends.

Once, a long time ago, you asked to learn about the gods. The full truth has since been revealed to us, and in turn we would like to share it with you:

In the beginning, there was nothing but the gods. But eventually, inevitably, they grew restless and wished for something more. Thus, they created the world. The earth, the sea, the sky, as well as the plants and beasts that dwell within came to be in the era of creation. But the gods were still unsatisfied, for they wished to speak to their children as equals and the beasts had neither the mind nor the tongue for the task. So they set out to create a race worthy of being called their children.

In their first attempt to create a people they used mud. But the mudpeople were frail, and all washed away in the rain.

The second people were made of wood. They were sturdy and brilliant, but lacked a soul and thus held no emotion. They created a great civilization, but grew vain and arrogant. They did not respect the gods, and willingly caused harm to each other. At the end of their cycle they were deemed inadequate, and were destroyed. Nothing of them remains.

We, the race of men, owe our existence to Kukulcan, the Great Feathered Serpent. We might not be as resilient or intelligent as the Second People, but he gave of his blood so that we could possess a divine soul, and the capacity to be greater than either of our predecessors. Furthermore, he empowered one of us to watch us eternally and taught him these truths, so that we would not be handicaped by ignorance. We know we are the children of the gods. But we are not yet worthy of being called their equals. At the end of the 12th b'ak'tun the gods will judge us and our works. We pray they will not find us wanting.

Our priesthood is fully established in Palenque. Soon we will be able to send a delegation to Washington, and establish a second Temple on your soil, if you so wish. Humanity must stand united in peace for the gods' judgement. To that end we shall work in all the cycles to come. But to overcome athell future challenges, we will need the aid of friends, the first of which we hope will be you, the American people.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Show
    Funny story, partner - the boys who built Philly were gonna settle on one of those little islands south of you, nice and close to the capital, but then someone went and founded a city just a smidge too close. So they had t' go find someplace else. If you wanted that someplace else, well... seems to me that's what y'might call poetic justice.

As for the scouts, lemme get this straight: you trap one of our boys within your borders, and somehow that's our fault?

Might wanna take a good long look at your priorities, friend.
    Show
    What islands are you talking about? We are not aware of any islands existing south of our cities. Seeing as how you failed to mention this, your placement of "philly" is an intentionally hostile invasion of our territory. It isn't even ideal for where we planned on putting our city. We will take it as is none the less. We are sorry we inconvenienced your ability to settle on an island that we have no knowledge of, but to retaliate by settling right on our doorstep is cause for action. As for your scout; do what you will, when it comes time we will let it leave our territory one way or another.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Well, you failed to mention as how you wanted the land where Philly is, so... tough.

Look, we're reasonable folks. Tell you what: we'll give you Philly if you give us Turfan. You don't like where Philly is, fine, you can burn the darn place to the ground and found yer own city; that's what we'll be doing with Turfan, so's we can nab that little island. Then you can settle another place a mite further up that there peninsula, if y'like, and we won't send any more boys over to your side of the pond. Howzat sound?

Spoiler: Maya
    Show
    Sure thing, partner! Send your boys over whenever you're ready, we'll see about findin' a place to put them up.