New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ending

1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Ending

I've always imagined something like the last pannel of comic 120. Something that will look good for the last pannel of the paperback ;).
    I participated!

2. - Top - End - #62

By the time the comics end , The order will have hopefully defeated an epic level lich sorcerer
    when such a campaign finish , the protagonists are amongst the strongest people in their world

It is then traditional for them to continue the campaign on another world

What better world than the one we have seen through the gates

So the last before the last panel should see them passing through a gate and the last panel should be
    ' A New beginning...'

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valynie View Post
    ' A New beginning...'
    Closing time at OoTS. The gods of this world tell the Order that "you can go anywhere you want, but you can't stay here" so they head through the gate to the snarl's new world because ...
    every new beginning is some other beginning's end.

OK, complete ripoff from a song but why not?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Welllll, not necessarily. The producers of Lost famously said that they had the "last shot" of their series planned out years in advance. And it's fairly obvious to me that they in fact did have it planned out.

HOW they got to that last shot was probably not quite as nailed down as they implied.

Mind, you're probably right in broad strokes. Still, wanted to post a contra-example.
    The LOST showrunners also didn't have the answers to the mysteries they raised at the beginning of the series. Rich does, or at least, given how well the series to date has been plotted, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    If it's a joke, I'm hoping for it ending with them converting to 4th/5th Edition, and Belkar getting screwed in the transition -again-.
    The 4th edition conversion jokes were already made and appear in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll be disappointed if the ending isn't "rocks fall, everybody dies".

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Is "Fin" a normal thing to end with in Europe? Over here in America, it's primarily used to make fun of artsy-fartsy pretentious independent movies. You know the kind.
    Not really. Especially not in east but also not in other parts of Europe

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Is "Fin" a normal thing to end with in Europe? Over here in America, it's primarily used to make fun of artsy-fartsy pretentious independent movies. You know the kind.
    It is in France, where it just means "the end". So whenever you'd have "the end" in English, you'll have "fin" in France. I think it's more common in older stuff than in recent stuff (in both languages) though.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Colossus in the Playground

To what extent "fin" seems particularly highbrow or pretentious, it's because speaking French is seen as particularly highbrow or pretentious. The way Mitsuru spoke French in the English translation of Persona 3.

...Now I wonder if highbrow/pretentious Japanese movies put "The End" at their ends.

Spoiler: explanation of what I'm going on about
    Show
    In the Japanese Playstation 2 game Persona 3, the brilliant and wealthy Mitsuru Kirijo occasionally sprinkles English phrases into her speech. For obvious reasons, that didn't work for the translation of the entire game to English, so instead they have her sprinkle French phrases into her speech, saying "tres bien!" and "magnifique!"
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-04-17 at 04:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by FollowerofBanjo View Post
    So does anyone want to guess what the last panel will look like for all of OOTS any personal ideas?
    Xykon and Redcloak in the Abyss in a lull in the midst of a battle in the blood war, both scarred from many wounds.

Observing an advancing battleline of Tanar'ri on the left and another of Baatezu on the right with the two of them caught in the middle, Xykon turns to Redcloak and says, "Well, that's another nice mess you've gotten me into, Redcloak."
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2016-04-17 at 02:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

AssassinGuy

- But, what if you're the imaginary one?

- Then ... if I was, then that'd mean that...

- ... everyone I ever knew...

- ...or cared about ...

- Everything, that there ever was, was a lie.

(Alarm Clock Beeps, Snoozed)

- Man, that dream was like 80% filler.

The End!

11. - Top - End - #71

MindFlayer

With the fatted calf showing up, handing Roy a knife and telling him to make it quick.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The D falls off of the end sign, lands on Belkar, he dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

Haley and Elan get married, with Durkon as a minister, V and Roy as best man/woman and break the fourth wall giving the readers a nice goodbye, while at the same time implying that their story goes on, with a hint of light-hearted self-parody.
    Last edited by Seto; 2016-05-08 at 04:10 AM.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Order manage to defeat the villains, re-seal The Snarl and save the world. Belkar, however, dies in the process and is sent to either the Neutral or Chaotic Evil afterlife. He is able to visit Mr. Scruffy every now and then, though.

As for the rest of the Order, they go their separate ways, but still keep in contact. Elan and Haley get married and live to old age with a large family; Durkon returns to his homeland and becomes the new High Priest of Thor; Vaarsuvius begins to pass on his magical knowledge onto the next generation of wizards and other spellcasters, in addition to continuing on trying to work on his personal faults; Roy is still a wandering adventurer, trying to help others in any way he can and often checks on the seals for The Snarl.

The second-to-last panel of the series will be a replica of the team shot from #120, but with a much-older Order and the ghost of Belkar in it. The final panel is a black backdrop with "The End" in big white letters.

But that's just what I think, and I know that's not what will necessarily happen. Guy can dream, though.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Last panel of 936

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

There's one concern I have about Belkar's death in this comic.

Belkar is on a redemption arc. Either he completes it, and gets redeemed; or doesn't, and doesn't.

If he doesn't get redeemed, won't this whole arc seem like a waste of time? What's the point of spending hundreds of strips showing someone getting better and better if you're just going to kill them without any conclusion?

If he does get redeemed, and dies, why wouldn't the Order bring him back?

Since both of these scenarios seem...wrong to me, I think that Belkar will die in such a way that Resurrection won't raise him. Maybe he'll be sucked into the snarl, or another plane of existence...who knows. But that's how I'm placing my bet.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Of course they think that. All PCs think that. Certainly my PCs all think they are in control of their own actions.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    If he does get redeemed, and dies, why wouldn't the Order bring him back?
    Personal redemption isn't an all-or-nothing binary effect. I expect Belkar to die for the Order, maybe even saving Vaarsuvius's life, to enable the Order to save the world.

That one action will neither completely change his way of life, make him other than Chaotic Evil, nor pay for innumerable murders.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

I've got it!!!!

The strip where Roy kills Xykon should be called "I've got 99 problems but a Lich ain't one"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

spoiler alert:

roy commits suicide to get to the plane of good when xykon planeshifts to the plane of evil. roy goes and saves durkon, they journey to hell itself and start kickin xy's ass when the lich pulls a fast one and starts rekkin their ****. roy's grandpappy comes and saves the day and completes his blood oath and is allowed into the afterlife finally. roy and durkon talk one more time on the fiery mountain and durk gives his final farewell to roy, and roy is raised from dead to live out the rest of his life. aftermath 100 years later shows oots at a tavern durkon built in the afterlife. the question gets asked where'd belkar go and it cuts to a final scene showing belkar talking to someone. we see someone reply back with basically "I should have never doubted you. I finally understood what he meant." and then witty bantz, and it's miko. They ride off into a sunset. (ps: this starts the next mini-comic where miko and belkar find true redemption and fight their way out of the afterlife to try and get re-tried to get to a better final resting place.)
    Last edited by xyz; 2016-05-26 at 12:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    spoiler alert:

roy commits suicide to get to the plane of good when xykon planeshifts to the plane of evil. roy goes and saves durkon, they journey to hell itself and start kickin xy's ass when the lich pulls a fast one and starts rekkin their ****. roy's grandpappy comes and saves the day and completes his blood oath and is allowed into the afterlife finally. roy and durkon talk one more time on the fiery mountain and durk gives his final farewell to roy, and roy is raised from dead to live out the rest of his life. aftermath 100 years later shows oots at a tavern durkon built in the afterlife. the question gets asked where'd belkar go and it cuts to a final scene showing belkar talking to someone. we see someone reply back with basically "I should have never doubted you. I finally understood what he meant." and then witty bantz, and it's miko. They ride off into a sunset. (ps: this starts the next mini-comic where miko and belkar find true redemption and fight their way out of the afterlife to try and get re-tried to get to a better final resting place.)
    Are you joking?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    spoiler alert:

Roy's grandfather has nothing to do with the oath. It was his son who did it.
    Spoiler
    Show