New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (INC) The Bellows of War- Battle Thread!!

Professor Xerex smiled his thanks at Minerva as she left, "I appreciated the opportunity to exchange spells. I hope we will have another opportunity to do so." Then he turned to Billy, "If you were referring to me, I just think you should know that I do not have access to Dimension Door."

"Well it's been three hours, no sign of trouble yet," Trelane reported having completed several circuits of the area while the others busied themselves, "I'm willing to work in shifts. Just wish I knew what to look out for..."
    Festival of Heroes

Markas Fletcher (Male Human Monk):
    bald, approaching middle age, but very fit.

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Billy glances over his shoulder at the professor.

"So you mean to tell me, between 3 high level mages that use spell books, not a single one had the dimensional door spell?"

He shakes his head.

"I may not be a mage, but such a spell would be a necessary thing for me, were I. Would make getting from one class on campus to the next perfectly simple."
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Alloishus weighed his options based on what he knew about his father, nature, and dungeoneering.

Nobility
    (1d20+10)[24]
    Nature
    (1d20+4)[6]
    Dungeoneering
    (1d20+8)[17]
    Intelligence
    (1d20+3)[14]
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War
    Prince Alloishus Figleaf of Lilygrove, Elven Spell Dancer

Bartleby Herrmannsdorfer, Dwarven Forgemaster

The Lily Blooms
    Nesse Nola, Paladin of Sarenrae

Festival of Heroes
    Co-DM and Princess Geiravor of Juvelnord, Aasimar Warpriestess

4. - Top - End - #814

RedWizardGuy

"I have never been that lazy. My legs work just fine," the professor bristled to Billy's remark, "Every wizard is unique in the selection of spells they study. While I focused on defensive and divination spells, we weren't at war until relatively recent so the thought of needing a quick escape also never occurred to me. But since it offends you so, perhaps I will make a note of acquiring it on my next opportunity."

"I think we should focus more on the resources we have than the ones we don't," Trelane said to try to quiet the argument. "We have wizards with two familiars for example. I also know Hanar has a LOT of powerful abilities to bolster the rest of us."
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #815
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"If you took offense, perhaps some thicker skin is more prudent before the spell. "

He sighs as he keeps up his watch.

"I was more confused than accusatory with intent."
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

"I already have the ability to slide myself between dimensions. I don't require use of the Dimension Door spell- and it is hardly fitting for a non-mage to comment on our individual style and spell selection. Should you wish to invest heavily in increasing our versatility, you could, perhaps, finance spell exchange with the elves of Lilygrove once this exercise is over, as most mages charge for the privilege," Hanar comments snidely.

He continues, "Although I do have many spells of utility prepared to support you, I must once again point out that my role in this simulation is to undergo a research project, as Lady Minerva would be while she is in your care in Goldenrod. Therefore, whatever spells I cast shall occur during this conversation, before I return to my work. As I do not wish Professor Rosseforp to be a captive of mine, I shall release him, and begin researching the runes and magic involved in the creation of this- or any other, should we deign to move- area of the tree. This should take several hours. Once I have completed that task, I shall be meditating in order to sense the energy flow in this place and see if I can connect it to the crystal formations from earlier. On that note, I probably should recast some of the defense spells I placed on myself to avoid damage."

Hanar casts Extended Stoneskin (DR 10/Adamantine for 260 minutes).

"I have many spells available, but many of them last only minutes instead of hours. Even with my considerable abilities, few of them would last you the entire night. However, I feel I should point out one of my favorite spells, Keep Watch, which would allow us to watch through the night without suffering fatigue, and allowing casters to regain their spells in the morning as if they had slept. I must add the caveat that should combat occur, this spell would be broken, and you would require sleep at that time. I am able to cast this 6 times, though doing so would deprive me of the ability to set an Alarm in case of intrusion."
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

After thinking for a while, Alloishus cleared his throat. "Here's what I know. We tend to avoid brute force and direct assaults, but if they have to they will resort to animalistic tactics or an overwhelming force. We are hunters and mages. Since this location is important to the community, they won't risk a magical bombardment. They will either try to attack from the air, sneak up the tree using animals, or teleport in. Knowing my father, he will probably have my brother, Lionel, leading the assault. He's probably scouting us out now." He paused for a moment. "We need to fortify the gazebo, hunker down, set traps mechanical and magical. Concentrate our resources on one area and protect Hanar. With one entrance, our enemies will be funneled through to a choke point."

Alloishus gave his allies a list of his remaining spells.
    Spoiler: Al's remaining spells
    Show

Cantrips
    Dancing Lights
    Prestidigitation
    Open/Close
    Detect Magic
    Spark

Level-1
    Shocking Grasp
    Sonic Scream
    Corrosive Touch
    Chill Touch
    Shield

Level-2
    Force Anchor

Level-3
    Dispel Magic
    Fly

"I am prepared for a close range fight. Billy, Trelane, Skrolk, and I can take turns guarding the entrance with Xerex and Bartleby on support. Hanar, can you cast Tiny Hut? It will make it tougher to find us. Can we guard against teleportation anyone?" He continued.
    Last edited by EdgeGrinder; 2016-07-23 at 03:13 PM.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

8. - Top - End - #818
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Skrolk twists his whiskers and swishes his tail side to side "Skrolk will make them regret coming here"
    The Bellows of War campaign: Skrolk is a ratfolk alchemist/mad scientist. He's 4 feet tall, with black fur and green eyes. His billowing robes cover up his armor that he is always wearing, the better to protect him against his many rivals.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Billy looks over to the prince.

"With the use of that Keep watch Spell, we wouldnt even need watches, we could all be alert. "
    Festival of Heroes:

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Yes, can you cast Keep Watch on us, Hanar?" Alloishus asked.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

11. - Top - End - #821
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Hanar replies, "Yes, I have Tiny Hut prepared. I can prepare it and spend time within. However, I have no spells which can block teleportation effects. You are simply going to have to maintain your vigilance. Would you like Keep Watch to be cast now?"
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"I shall seal up the western entrance now." Bartleby announced. He walked over to the western entrance and cast Wood Shape. With crackles and snaps, the wood from the floor, walls, and ceiling seemed to grow, shrinking the opening smaller and smaller until it was just another wooden wall. "Friends, knowing my spells and runes just ask if you need one."

Alloishus stood tall and drew his Stabby Bunny rapier (Keen Frost +1 Rapier). "At your ready, gentlemen, for tonight we forego sleep." He said with a smirk. "Billy and Trelane, guard the remaining entrance with me. Skrolk, behind us and ready extracts at your judgement. Bartleby and Xerex, guard Hanar and support us. Keep your eyes open and limber up." Alloishus said, rallying his troops.

Perception
    (1d20+4)[21]

Viv's perception
    (1d20+16)[27]
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

13. - Top - End - #823

Goblin

Skrolk nods and moves behind the group, pulling various vials and flasks from his belt

Perception
    (1d20+9)[22]
    The Bellows of War campaign: Skrolk is a ratfolk alchemist/mad scientist. He's 4 feet tall, with black fur and green eyes. His billowing robes cover up his armor that he is always wearing, the better to protect him against his many rivals.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Billy takes his post by the door. And keeps a vigilant watch. Listening and watching... waiting for the next challenge.

(1d20+10)[15] perception
    Festival of Heroes:

15. - Top - End - #825

RedWizardGuy

Professor Xerex took out one of his creations, a Scroll of Extended Mage Armor and used it. With this his defense would be good for the next 12 hours, enough to last the night and then some. "I'll be ready," he said, also fingering the Wand of Magic Missile he had on him. "Stripe, why don't you keep watch from among the branches, you might be able to find a threat from outside before we notice it. Be careful"

"Will do Boss!" Stripe replied eagerly, heading out to do as asked.

Trelane went to join Billy in keeping watch, keeping his ears and eyes open to any threat.
    Spoiler: Perception check
    Show
    (1d20+10)[22]
    Last edited by paladin_artea; 2016-07-14 at 09:56 PM.
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #826
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Guardian Tree, 9:00 PM-11:00 PM

Hanar casts Keep Watch on Alloishus, Bartleby, Billy, Xerex, Skrolk, and Trelane, then sighs. "Well, it has been some time since I worked an honest all-nighter. However, your alertness to defend me is more important now than my eventual drowsiness and self-hatred in the morning. I shall endure," Hanar declares.

Two hours pass without event. The sky is full of more stars than could ever be seen in the city. The beauty is almost distracting for those who have never seen it before. Still, the time passes slowly. Even though the defenders do not feel weary, watching the dark forest is monotonous.

(Another round of checks, don't forget to include abilities or spells you might be casting. Also indicate any changes of position, use the coordinates please)

Hanar's Perception: (1d20+7)[19]

Last edited by Andrew Markham; 2016-07-18 at 03:41 PM.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

17. - Top - End - #827
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Billy stretches a short yawn from maintaining vigilance. He keeps his eyes toward entrances and exits. Occasionally scanning nearby walls, floor and ceiling for magical intrusion.

(1d20+10)[24] perception
    Festival of Heroes:

18. - Top - End - #828

Goblin

Skrolk keeps a vigilant watch from the back

Perception roll (1d20+9)[16]

19. - Top - End - #829

RedWizardGuy

Noticing the entrance was well protected, Trelane decided to venture a little further out to keep his vigil (Out to f13)
    Spoiler: perception check:
    Show
    (1d20+10)[18]

Professor Xerex decided to employ Detect Magic through Stripe's eyes while he kept a lookout from his current vantage point
    Spoiler: Stripe's perception check:
    Show
    (1d20+11)[25]
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

With the low-light glow of the runes, Alloishus, Bartleby, and Vivian had no trouble seeing in the night. "How can everyone see? I am okay in low-light." Alloishus asked and he scanned his surrounding and cast Detect Magic on himself, he focused his gaze to the south-west.

"I see fine, Prince Al." Bartleby walked to the remaining entrance (7L) with his Mimetic +1 Cold Iron Heavy Mace drawn. He cast Detect Magic on himself and looked to the north-west.

Vivian looked to the east, around the gazebo.

Alloishus Perception
    (1d20+6)[10]

Bartleby Perception
    (1d20+3)[11]

Vivian Perception
    (1d20+16)[35]
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Guardian Tree- 11:00 PM to 12:35 PM

The moon begins passing through the sky as night settles. Hanar continues muttering to himself within his Tiny Hut. People begin twitching impatiently as time inches by.

Some time after midnight, Vivian flies into Al's face. She says, "I hear big wings flapping in the night, and they're heading this way!"
    Show

DM of Twinborn

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Alloishus quickly turned to the east with his Stabby Bunny ready and searched for the enemy with his Detect Magic. "On your toes, friends! Our enemy comes by air!"

Alloishus Perception to spot the incoming enemy
    (1d20+6)[21]
    Knowledge Nature to identity the supposed mount
    (1d20+4)[13]

"Trelane, check the south! Billy, your eyes on the west! Skrolk, to the north!" Alloishus commanded.
    Last edited by EdgeGrinder; 2016-07-19 at 01:53 PM.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Billy moves to the exit of the level, looking for the source of the sounds of wings.

(1d20+10)[18] perception
    Festival of Heroes:

24. - Top - End - #834

Goblin

Skrolk moves to P4 and searches for the location of the wings

Perception (1d20+9)[26]

25. - Top - End - #835

RedWizardGuy

"Stripe! Return to my side. Giant flying creatures are definitely not your friends!" Xerex warned.

"Don't have to tell me twice boss!" Stripe replied mentally before high-tailing it to his master's side.

"You betcha Al!" Trelane called back, drawing his sling as an attack from above seemed likely at this point. He kept his eyes open waiting for the enemy
    Spoiler: perception check:
    Show
    (1d20+10)[12]
    Festival of Heroes

The Lily Blooms

Andariel Evergreen

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Alloishus points up to the sky. Those with low-light vision can see 3 large black bats swooping down from higher up the tree. They are currently 30 feet up from your platform and 10 feet west of it, and they appear to be diving down and west. If they continue on their current course, they will reach your elevation 20-30 feet west of the platform edge.

Roll initiative!

Alloishus: (1d20+4)[17]
    Vivian: (1d20+3)[11]
    Bartleby: (1d20-1)[17]
    Billy: (1d20+4)[7]
    Trelane: (1d20+3)[5]
    Professor Xerex: (1d20+3)[19]
    Skrolk: (1d20+2)[19]
    Hanar: (1d20+2)[9]
    Bats: (1d20+4)[7]
    ???: (1d20+5)[9]
    ???: (1d20+2)[20]

IO:
    ???
    Skrolk/Xerex
    Al/Bartleby
    Vivian
    ???
    Hanar
    Billy
    Bats
    Trelane

From above, a voice is heard faintly.

Skrolk and Professor Xerex are up.
    Last edited by Andrew Markham; 2016-07-19 at 10:38 PM.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

27. - Top - End - #837
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Professor Xerex leans out and points his wand of Magic Missile at the bats. Three missiles shoot out towards one of the bats.

Which one? (1d3)[1]
    Damage:
    (1d4+1)[3]
    (1d4+1)[4]
    (1d4+1)[3]
    Show

DM of Twinborn

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Alloishus moved to J3 and cast Shocking Grasp to hold the charge. "Back me up, Bartleby!"

Bartleby moved to I3 and cast Guidance on Alloishus.

Vivian moved to J4 and readied an action.
    Last edited by EdgeGrinder; 2016-07-21 at 02:51 PM.
    Edge Grinder

The Bellows of War

The Lily Blooms

Festival of Heroes

29. - Top - End - #839

Goblin

Skrolk scurries to O7 and pulls out a bomb flask

30. - Top - End - #840
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Fly check: (1d20+10)[18]

The left-most bat is hit with magic missiles. It shrieks, but is able to steady its flight. As the bats glide downwards past the platform, forms lean off the left and right bats, each shooting an arrow at Billy.

Rider 1 vs Billy
    (1d20+16)[20]
    (1d8+5)[7] piercing damage

Rider 2 vs Billy
    (1d20+16)[34]
    (1d8+5)[12] piercing damage

Meanwhile, inside the tiny hut, Hanar looks up, hearing the noise outside. He casts Haste near the exit to the gazebo, catching everyone except Billy in its effect. (+1 to hit, +1 Dodge AC, +1 Reflex, +30 feet movement, 1 extra attack in full attack for 13 rounds)

The bats finish their dive, leveling off at the same elevation as the platform. They turn at the end of their dive to face the platform. Two of them are 25 feet west of the platform (5 squares west of A6 and A8). These two bats are ridden by elves with longbows. 15 feet behind them (8 squares west of A7) is the third bat, bearing 2 riders. They appear to be speaking in Elven and gesturing with their hands.

It is Billy's turn.
    Show

DM of Twinborn