New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of Millaine IC 2 - Coming Soon to a Theater Near You!

Maestro stood aghast at what was playing out before him, shrugging off the Diamond Champions blast and the Haptaran Champion's influence, and only slightly flinching in the face of his related summon's onslaught.

This was it. This was nightmare scenario alpha, contingency X, Code Red and DEFCON 0.

Copycat had gone rogue, and he was now a threat to everyone, whether it was his fault or not.

Maestro's raging emotions took on a decidedly different persona in the face of this revelation, the air around the Psychokinetic growing astonishingly still, and the surrounding area going both cold, dark, and quiet as the kinetic energy was wrested from the surroundings of the super genius.

He couldn't open his mouth, so he spoke with his mind. ~...Tom? Do you remember that conversation we had on that rooftop, after we'd beaten that duo of Recruiter clients? Do you remember the promise we both made that day?~ His eyes gave away nothing but a cold hard resolution, and his voice was as inscrutable as it was omnipresent. ~I made you promise that if I ever went rogue, you'd be sure to put me down for the benefit of everyone, and you expected me to do the same~

The young Dreamer finally found his voice as he spoke further. "Well I'll tell you this, Thomas. I'm following through on that promise. I'm not going to ask you to stop, or convince you to talk about this, or even tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing. I am going to MAKE you stop, and I am going to STOP this right here, and right now. Because I-" Maestro plants one foot into the floor, wood splintering as the ground gives way. "-Am a MAN-" Mr. Mastermind enters a battle stance, the air crackling with raw electrical force. "-OF MY WORD!" The last part of his sentence reverberates throughout the foyer, amplified subconsciously by the Psychokinetic's powers.

Rather than face Copycat, however, Maestro turns to the Recruiter, and points at him menacingly. "I AM GETTING MY FRIEND BACK! AND I AM GETTING HIM BACK THROUGH YOU! EAT SKY YOU MAGNANIMOUS PR*CK!!!" The Billionaire genius thrusts his right fist upwards, attempting to wrench the Recruiter into the stratosphere.

Because, at this point, he might as well make good on every promise he's made. And SOMEONE's gotta face that music.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Use Psychokinesis to throw the recruiter upwards, Strength or Flight DC 20 to resist. If successful, DC 31 Toughness save against damage.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

The moment the Recruiter lands, watery tentacles lash out of nowhere, seeking to bind him and crush his limbs. An instant later, the whips of water tighten, tossing the villain across the room towards the Hero of Millaine's erstwhile teammate, Copycat. As quickly as the tentacles appear, they vanish.

Show
    Standard Action: Jet Spray on the Recruiter, All-Out Attacking for 5, Power Attacking for 3: (1d20+14)[20] Damage DC 28+Multiattack Damage, Strength or Dodge DC 25 vs. Fast Grab on a hit.

Free Action: Switch to Maelstrom Fling!

Extra Effort: Maelstrom Fling! on the Recruiter, All-Out Power Attacking for 5: (1d20+12)[14] Damage DC 30, Strength or Flight DC 25 vs. Move Object on a hit. Aiming at Copycat for (1d20+12)[25]; on a hit, both Copycat and the Recruiter need to make Damage DC 30 saves. If it misses, the Recruiter still has another Damage DC 30 save from hitting the wall.

Move Action: Shift to Q19. Hide in Plain Sight: (1d20+21)[26]

Will to remove Affliction (DC 22): (1d20+10)[24]

Status: -5 Active Defenses this turn, Fatigued next turn, Impaired & Vulnerable vs. some enemy (pending)
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Tom...?!"

Startled by the supposed hostage suddenly attacking him, Declan's mental defences faltered - unfortunately for the Recruiter, though, he was already focusing to block out unnecessary thoughts, so he recovered almost immediately. Copycat's attack had only a minimal effect, and the Haptaran Champion's influence didn't affect him in the least.

"I won't fight you." he declared to his mind-controlled teammate, and locked his gaze on the real enemy: the Recruiter. With him gone, whetever was controlling Copycat - because it had to be something like that: he couldn't believe Tom had turned on them of his own will - would have gone too. Should, at least.

"TAKE THIS!" he roared on the wake of Maestro's own shout, dashing where the Recruiter landed and unleashing a point blank burst of antimatter on the man.

Show
    Move: M16 -> L11
    Standard: attack the Recruiter with Point Blank Burst at (1d20+11)[13], Toughness DC 26+Multiattack/21 vs Damage/Weaken Toughness.

Also, shouldn't the Recruiter be Prone?
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Copycat stared at Declan as he darted away with a varied mix of emotions. Anger and disappointment equally, for sure. Still in a fighting stance specifically maintained to counter his teammate's attack style, he felt somewhat stood-up in the midst of the manor. The look in his eyes as he watched the Unbreakable was, more than anything, hurt. Then his neck swivelled around to stare at Maestro, standing unoccupied next to Wilson and the Haptaran. Then it was just full anger. He bolted out from the front door of the Recruiter's home with fury in his eyes, lunging towards his rival with reckless abandon.

"You think I didn't choose this?!" He leaped up and swung around, both of his legs snapping out as part of a jackknife kick as he expertly let his momentum carry him to the psychic's side. He stepped in once more with a more straightforward side kick to the gut, aiming simply to keep the man's mind occupied as he probed it. There was no glory to beating Maestro in a fistfight. Breaking into his mind and outsmarting him? That was a glorious day.

I'm going to become stronger than you! I'm going to mean something! I'm going to change the world, and that will never be a nine-to-five city-localised occupation! That will never come with a salary, and it will never get me into a movie!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move Action: Into L23.
    Standard Action: Analytical Strike on Maestro. Attack (1d20+9)[27] for DC 28/23/(1d20+13)[21] Will against Damage, Affliction (Impaired, Vulnerable and Entranced/Disabled, Defenceless and Stunned), and Mind Reading. First two affliction conditions only apply against Tom, the third one only applies if Maestro doesn't perform the action next turn that he is currently planning on (if his mind is successfully read and whatnot).

Spoiler: Quellian
    Show
    You were right that combat mind reading is quite clunky in PbP, but I'm going to at least try to make it work. At the end of his turn, Copycat will switch to Declan's Toughness, using Power Mastery to up his Toughness to 14 and Impervious. I'm going to do this regardless of any other factor, but I'm hiding it for now so that Capt has to make his decision for next round before seeing what Tom is actually going to do in response to...the default decision he might make.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2

The Recruiter gave Sean mildly annoyed, somewhat uncomprehending look as he suggested that he not only knew exactly what he could do, but that his plan was intended to foil him directly. "Wha- ...Who even are you?"

Show
    So, I'm not entire sure how strong Sean's New Kid on the Block Complication is (the Temper portion, in particular), but I'm thinking that maybe after an entire adventure and change of people treating him as if he's a non-entity or, worse, a sidekick, plus the stress from what happened with Declan, plus the massacre at the supermarket, that the Recruiter himself not even having put in the effort to learn who you are and what you can do miiiiight just be the last straw.

So, I'm offering you a Hero Point for your New Kid on the Block Complication. If you take it, Sean must All Out Attack and/or Power Attack (either or both, but he has to do at least one of them) for the maximum any time he is able to for the duration of the encounter.

The Recruiter had learned his lessons from the last fight. Last time, the Diamond Champion had been tricked into ignoring those horrible burrowing nanite things that Wilson had unleashed upon his shield. This time, the Recruiter had given his minions explicit orders to defend both him and each other from any threat that seemed strange.

Someone making an intentional physical attack against the Diamond Champion was strange.

The Champion of Dreams glided smoothly in the way. It was a pointless gesture. Sean's augmented claws had been sharpened to an atomic level. On the microscopic scale, it frankly didn't matter how densely or stably your atoms were packed together when the very bonds between them were getting sliced through like butter. The Champion of Dreams couldn't push the massive Diamond Champion out of the way. Sean's augmented claws would slice through her and go right on to-

Thunk.

It was the strangest sensation. Sean's claws themselves passed through the Champion of Dreams as if she didn't exist, leaving only his fingertips to impact her. And those hit with only a bare fraction of his usual augmented force, honestly not much harder than a strong human might swing a fist. It was like as far as she was concerned, he barely even had Dreamer powers.

The blast of nanites that Wilson released on her did better, hitting her in the shoulder and causing her to flinch back from the hit.

The rest of the team, meanwhile, engaged the Recruiter. To little avail.

Maestro sent him flying, his forcefield crashing through the several stories of the building (making even more of a mess) and up into the sky, before dropping him straight to the ground. It had been an extremely effective tactic last time...but again, the Recruiter had learned his lessons. The moment before he hit the ground, a sort of glowing pattern of feathers appeared swirling in a globe around him, as if etched onto his invisible forcefield, and all the kinetic energy of his fall just kinda...went away. Which kinda might have begged the question:

What kind of imbecile had taught the Recruiter how to do magic!?

"Mentallo...my entire powerset is built around having the right tool for any job. Do you honestly think I wouldn't pre-UHFF!" the Recruiter's smug response was cut short as Maestro delved him a telekinetic backhand. His forcefield absorbed much of the force, but enough got through to interrupt his retort by means of jerking his head violently to the side as if he had been soundly slapped across the face. His eyes locked on Maestro with an expression that was less pain or even rage, and more simple offense. The forcefield had become vaguely visible as a sort of rippling in the air around the Recruiter due to the damage it had received...but even that display was beginning to slowly fade as the belt's energy rapidly replenished itself.

Seriously, who had taught the Recruiter flipping magic!?

Show
    Maestro could hear it in his voice. The Recruiter believed himself to have outsmarted him. This was not something to abide from anyone, least of all his rival.

Maestro, I am offering you a Hero Point for your Rivalry Complication. If you take it, you will be required to attack the Recruiter preferentially for as long as he remains active. Note that you can now see that his Forcefield Belt has Regeneration on it as well as Safe Fall.

Waterworks' first blast was turned aside by the Recruiter's forcefield, but left it wavering for just a moment, giving her the opportunity to strike again while his defenses were down - only for her attack to be intercepted by the Diamond Champion. She hauled on it anyway, and shockingly, the massive construct did budge under the force, maybe an inch or so. But it dug in its heels (putting two more divots in the already thoroughly wrecked and shattered floor) and kept from being hurled away.

Declan rushed in, firing point-blank, but his antimatter bullets proved less than effective against a defense composed of pure energy, the forcefield turning his assault aside entirely.

The Recruiter let out a frustrated hiss. "It must be nice," he spat. "Knowing that all your problems will go away if you just punch the right person in the face. I do not want this. I do not want to be known as the man who killed the Heroes who saved the world. I do not want to havoc and destruction on my home. And I absolutely do not want to have to deal with the next wave of self-important do-gooders who come after me looking to avenge your deaths!"

"But it is clear that this is the only way to get my peace from all of you. So be it! Just know that this all could have been avoided. You have forced my hand here!"
    he shouted venomously, and drew his gun!

Show
    Ya'll chose to face this very-possibly-overpowered encounter instead of taking the easy way out. Good on you!

Waterworks take a Hero Point for your Responsibility Motivation.
    Maestro take a Hero Point for your Doing Good Motivation.
    Declan take a Hero Point for your Justice Motivation.
    Wilson take a Hero Point for your Justice Motivation.

Following the Haptaran's orders, the Hyperkinetic Champion let loose on Sean, focusing all his tremendous psychic power into a narrow point and letting loose on the predator.

The Diamond Champion leaped back into melee, crushing the floor under the force of its jump and smashing through even more of the wall to the right of the doorway (no matter who won this battle, the true loser would be the poor, helpless manor). It landed beside Wilson, swiping at the cyborg with its rending claws of sparkling diamond.

The Champion of Dreams gestured broadly, and the entire battle rearranged itself, Heroes and villains alike teleporting into new positions...or so it appeared, at least, to any Hero who couldn't see through her illusion!

The Champion of Haptarus played support, slashing hard at Wilson to distract him from the Diamond Champion, while shouting a confusing series of orders at the Heroes themselves, even while their minds were already occupied on fending off the Champion of Dreams' illusion.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Recruiter:
    Move: Dazed.
    Standard: Draw his gun!
    End of Turn: Regenerates one Bruise thanks to the Regeneration portion of the enchantment on his Forcefield Belt.

Hyperkinetic Champion:
    Move: Doesn't care.
    Standard: Hyperkinetic Drill on Sean, Power Attacking for 5, Defensive Attacking for 2, Routining the attack for 11. Thanks to defenseless that auto-hits (no crit though). Highest Base Active Defense (so your Defenseless does not apply, but Disabled does) DC 36 vs. Damage, Toughness DC 31 vs. Weaken Toughness.

Champion of Haptarus:
    Move: Feint Wilson at (1d20+20)[35] (penalty negated through Fast Talker Benefit). Use Set Up 3 to provide the benefit to the Champion of Dreams, the Diamond Champion, and the Hyperkinetic Champion.
    Standard: Attack Wilson with Commanding Strike as an Aid action for the Diamond Champion at (1d20+12)[16]. (I didn't give her Teamwork? Whu? ) If she hits DC 10, Diamond Champion gets +2 to its attack roll. If she hits DC 20 it's +5. Further, the Linked Perception Area Affliction applies as a Team Attack with the Champion of Dreams, automatically adding +2 to her DC. +2

Diamond Champion:
    Move: Leap into N23.
    Standard: Attack Wilson with Diamond Rend at (1d20+12)[24]+Aid. On a hit, Toughness DC 27/22 vs. Damage Linked Weaken Toughness. The Damage has a Secondary Effect. Hit

Champion of Dreams:
    Move: Feint Declan at (1d20+20)[21] (penalty negated by Fast Talker Benefit). Use Set-up 3 to provide the effects to herself, the Haptaran Champion, and Copycat.
    Standard: Waking Dreams. Everyone give me Dodge DC 24 (after Team Attack) to negate the Perception Area effect. If that fails, Will DC 24 vs. Vulnerable/Compelled/Controlled.

Map

Current Status

All PCs are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-06-17 at 01:33 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

The double aerial kick from Copycat managed to force Maestro back a few steps, but the Telekinetic quickly recovered, outright blocking Copycat's gut kick with a well-placed arm. As for the attempt at reading his mind...

Evidently "fought a giant space brain in a psychic duel, and won" actually does count for something, as the mimic would find himself hitting a stone wall of mental prowess in his attempts to probe into Maestro's subconscious.

"No, Copycat. I do not, in fact, think you actually chose this." The young Dreamer glares at the mimic, cold logic in his eyes. This expression turns to one of confusion when Copycat talks of becoming stronger. "Is... Is that what you think this is about? You think... You think I'm the one you need to prove your might to?" From Maestro's expression, the genius was legitimately surprised at this.

"Tom... You've ALWAYS been stronger than me."

Rather than continue down that train of thought, however, Maestro's attention was quickly stolen by the Recruiter's boast. "Oh you are just the WORST! I'm sick and tired of you being so full of it! Do you honestly think you deserve any better? This house of yours was built on top of blood money you psycho! Paid for in ruined lives and acts of terror! The HELL kind of world are you living in where YOU'RE the victim!?" The young man shouts, before focusing on the Recruiter's belt, attempting to exert his will to interface with the machine directly, hoping to shut it down completely.

Show
    Free Action: Add 2 Points to Variable array to "turn on" Comprehend (Machines)

Standard Action: COMBAT HACKING! Routine 30 Technology check to "hit". Unless it doesn't for some reason, DC 25 Affliction, resisted by your choice of Combat Hacking Resistance, against Impaired/Disabled/Incapacitated.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2016-06-17 at 03:57 PM.
    Well, you know the old saying. "Give a man a sword and he'll do a d6 in damage. Tell a man the rules by which he must follow to craft his OWN sword, and the campaign's off the rails by suppertime".

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

The ropes of water lash out again, stretching into the air above the battle and punching through the ceiling. They tighten, and then the piping and spigots of the sprinkler system are physically ripped from the walls, crunched into a ball, and hurled at the Recruiter, showering everyone with a spray of rusty-smelling water.

All at once, every water droplet in the air freezes. They hover for a split second, before turning in unison and rushing towards the enemy of the Heroes of Millaine with enough speed that they split they air with shrieks of displaced molecules.

Still, Waterworks has yet to be seen fully.

Show
    Standard Action: Maelstrom Fling on the sprinkler system. (1d20+12)[31] Crit! Damage DC 25 30 on a hit, Strength or Flight DC 20 25 to avoid being flung into the Recruiter.

Free Action: Switch to Water Control.

Extra Effort + Hero Point: Water Control on the Recruiter. DC 27 vs. Damage on Perception Ranged Attack.

Movve Action: Shift to S17. Hide in Plain Sight: (1d20+21)[28]

Will to Remove Affliction (DC 24): (1d20+12)[26] Cured.

Last edited by Zelphas; 2016-06-18 at 12:26 AM.
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Tom stood, watching Maestro brush him off as well.

"...what?"

He scowled with ferocity, clenching his fists once more. Thin drops of clear adhesive began to drip out from between his fingers, onto the grass below.

"Why are you...?"

He had to know. He had to know he was the weaker one. He couldn't already know. It had to...hit him.

"Fight me, you idiot!"

No more MMA. Tom dived towards Maestro, reaching for him with all his limbs in an attempt to tackle the psychic to the ground. The sticky goo would lock them together, and then he would realise the mistake he had made by focusing on the wrong target.

"Don't act like you're not afraid!"

If he got Maestro in his grip, Tom would punch him. Not with super strength. Not extremely quickly, and not with any degree of skill. Just a punch, through his telekinetic armour, on the cheek.

Show
    Free Action: Switching to Wolf Mackenna's Adhesive Skin. Taking Adhesive Strike to 13, and Adhesive Skin...also to 13.
    Standard Action: Attack Maestro with All-Out Power Attack 2. Attack (1d20+9)[16] for DC 19 Damage, DC 25 Strength or Dodge against Grab, and DC 25 Prowess against Impaired and Vulnerable/Immobilized, Disabled and Defenceless/Paralyzed.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Declan didn't have much time to express disappointment in the failure of his attack against the Recruiter: he flung himself between the summon born from his own powers and Wilson - diamond clashing against diamond to no effect - and then leaped in front of Sean, shielding him from the Hyperkinetic Champion's fury - falling on one knee shortly afterwards, with a good chuck of his diamond armour missing.

"No one else dies today." he murmured, rising on his feet again with sheer willpower and tapping from his reserves to regenerate his coating. Completely disregarding the Champion of Dream's illusion - he knew none of his teammate was in front of him - he leveled DAMOCLES and swept the room with antimatter bullets.

Show
    Move: Staggered
    Standard: Recover from Staggered. +2 active Defences this round.
    Extra Effort Standard ( to negate fatigue): Sweep, hitting the Champion of Dreams, Hyperkinetic Champion and the Recruiter. Dodge DC 21 for half, Toughness DC 26/20 vs Damage (Incurable, as always).

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

With a brief nod to Declan as the soldier swept past him to deflect the attack with his diamond coating, Wilson stepped out of the rather sticky situation he was currently in and hurled another disc of nanites - this one aimed at the Recruiter, even as the first one arced back around to take another slice at the Valerie-Summon.

Sean took a little longer to react to the sudden string of events. "...seriously?" he asked after a moment. He seemed legitimately surprised by the Recruiter's question. "My name is Sean Hyer." He turned his back on the Recruiter and sprang after the Diamond Champion again. The Valerie-summon couldn't keep getting in the way.

Show
    Wilson:
    Move: Move very marginally closer to the Recruiter.
    Standard: Nanite Hunters on the Recruiter: (1d20+12)[14]. DC23 Toughness on a hit, with Secondary Effect next round and Homing 1 if it misses.
    End of Turn: Champion of Dreams gets a DC23 Toughness save.

Sean:
    Move: Close with the Diamond Champion. Again.
    Standard: Sharp Claws on the Diamond Champion, power attacking for 5: (1d20+3)[14]. On a hit, DC32 Defence vs damage (or I guess DC23 if the Champion of Dreams interposes), with a DC28 Defence save next round (or DC21 for the Champion of Dreams).
    End of Turn: If the Champion of Dreams didn't already get hit by the Sharp Claws attack, it gets a DC19 Defence save vs damage.
    End of Turn: Will to remove Affliction (DC22): (1d20+8)[11]. If that fails, I'll reroll it: (1d20+8)[11]

...I hate you so much right now dice.

Wilson: Fatigued.
    Sean: Disabled/Defenceless against Hyperkinetic, Augmented (4/5 rounds left).
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2016-06-20 at 04:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Round 3

Maestro technopathic war-hack didn't have any visible display as he communicated with the forcefield belt in an invisible projection of ones and zeroes. But its results were clear as the Recruiter's forcefield belt suddenly disengaged main power, its lights dimming and his barrier weakening substantially, becoming visible as a wavering in the air around him.

Waterworks tore the sprinkler systems, which was connected to the second-floor plumbing, and all running through the ceiling, down with a sudden hard yank. Water started spraying everywhere from the ruptured pipes as about a fifth of the ceiling collapsed. A toilet, a bathtub, a computer (which Wilson, with his keen powers of observation, could see had a desktop image of the Erdos Mountains and the Istaline River before the screen first went dark and then shattered on hitting the ground), and a small bed all fell into the living room along with even more of a horrible mess of rubble, shattered pipes, and even the kitchen no, sorry, bathroom sink.

As Waterworks chucked a wad of it straight at the Recruiter, the Hyperkinetic Champion leaped in the way. Even with his powerful telekinetic armor, though, the rubble smacked him hard upside the head, leaving him momentarily reeling. The released water flowed around him and slammed into the Recruiter's forcefield, hitting with enough force to jostle the Recruiter inside.

The Hyperkinetic Champion and the Recruiter rallied in time for their barriers to stave off Declan's assault, but he put some antimatter into the Champion of Dreams, and the concussive explosion of matter disintegrating sent her staggering back.

The Diamond Champion was plodding by the standards of Hero-level Dreamers, but it was still objectively swift. It didn't try to block Sean's claws directly, but instead batted his arms aside, foiling the attack. The Champion of Dreams blocked the return of Wilson's previous shot, and whirled away from his latest barrage of nanites. Although even then, they were turning about for another pass.

The Recruiter was still beholding Sean rather uncomprehendingly. "I...glad to meet you?"

Spoiler: Copycat
    Show
    The Recruiter broadcasts Waterworks' position over the Champion of Dreams' mental link.

The Recruiter was, however, quite aware that there could be only one explanation for his forcefield belt's sudden failure. He fired at Maestro, more to distract him than anything, as the Champion of Haptarus swung her blade at him. "FIGHT ON TEAM! THEY ARE NOTHING TO US!"

The Hyperkinetic Champion, since Sean was behaving predictably as the Haptaran had expected him to, hurled another blast of hyperkinetic force at him. This time, though, it was the complete opposite of the previous blast - an unstable missile of kinetic energy that, when it struck, would explode. The Champion's telekinetic mastery would protect his allies, but all of the Heroes in the area would be slammed fully by the force of the blast.

The Diamond Champion went for Wilson with an attack that, let's be honest, should have been for Copycat, but they were currently on the same side. It drew back, and let loose with a hard kick aiming to punt the cyborg clear across the city.

Then the Champion of Dreams gestured, and a protective barrier of solid stone covered the Recruiter and Hyperkinetic Champion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Had this pretty much ready to post so just gonna post it now but Llyarden you can still do that reroll, I've accounted for the contingency.

The Recruiter:
    Standard: Attack Maestro as a Team Attack with the Champion of Haptarus at (1d20+23)[30] after Teamwork. On a hit, the Champion of Haptarus gains +2 Damage. On a hit by three degrees, this becomes +5. If the Champion of Haptarus misses and he hits without the Teamwork bonus, it's simply DC 22 Damage. +5
    End of Turn: Regenerates a Bruise.

Champion of Haptarus:
    Move: Feint Maestro at (1d20+20)[30]. If it succeeds, use Set-up 3 to pass the benefits to herself, the Recruiter, and the Hyperkinetic Champion.
    Standard: Attack Maestro with Inspiring Strike at (1d20+12)[19]. On a hit, Toughness DC 27+Team Attack vs. Damage and Strength or Dodge DC 22 vs. Fast Grab. In addition, this provides Persistent Healing (Bruises first) to all allies who can hear her at (1d20+8)[12]. This effect's degree of success is Limited to her degrees of Damage on the attack, so if it misses or is resisted no healing applies. Hit. DC 32 thanks to Team Attack. 1 degree healing unless Maestro resists.

Hyperkinetic Champion:
    Standard: Attack Sean with Hyperkinetic Shockwave at (1d20+8)[9]. On a hit, Toughness DC 36 after auto-crit (or 31 if his reroll throws off the Affliction) vs. Damage. In addition, everyone but Sean (or whoever gets hit) and Waterworks gets Dodge DC 22 for half, Toughness DC 27/21 vs. Damage. Waterworks is outside of the main Burst area, but within its lower-rank second Area, so she gets Dodge DC 18 for half, Toughness DC 23/19 vs. Damage. ...Hah, it misses even if Sean doesn't make its save. Everyone still roll against the Area effect though.

Diamond Champion:
    Move: Meh.
    Standard: Diamond Blow on Wilson, Accurate Attacking for 2, at (1d20+14)[30]. On a hit, Toughness DC 25 vs. Damage, Fortitude DC 20 vs. Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated, and Strength or non-Platform Flight DC 20 vs. being punted a mile away. Hit.

Champion of Dreams:
    Standard: Dream Crafting to surround the Recruiter and the Hyperkinetic Champion with a solid wall. The wall provides total concealment and blocks line of effect.

Map

Current Status

All PCs are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-06-20 at 02:11 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

The blast of telekinetic force slammed into Wilson and Sean, leaving both reeling. But Sean had no intention of giving up. He charged back past the Valerie-summon, putting his nanite-sharp claws to good use ripping into the stone wall that it had just created.

Wilson was a little more cautious, taking a moment to catch his breath, though he still maintained the focus on the arcing disk that whirled towards the (hopefully now un-shielded) Recruiter.

Show
    I think your current status thingy is a little off. The Homing Nanite Hunters are going for the Recruiter, not the Champion of Dreams. That was the previous lot of Nanite Hunters. (Yes, this is super confusing.)

Sean:
    Extra Effort: At long (long) last, throw off the Haptaran Affliction.
    Move: Staggered.
    Standard: Charge the barrier with Sharp Claws, power attacking for 5 and routining for 11 after Charge. DC32 Defence vs damage, which as an inanimate object hopefully the barrier fails automatically.

Wilson:
    Standard: Recover from Staggered.
    Free: Trigger the Homing of Nanite Hunters on the Recruiter (and try to roll above a 2 this time): (1d20+12)[28]

Sean: 1 Bruise (regenerates next round), Staggered, Fatigued next round.
    Wilson: 1 Bruise, +2 to active defences, Fatigued.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

The Hyperkinetic Champion struck Maestro hard, but it was simply background noise for the test of self he had before him.

A swift palm thrust to the sternum, releasing a blast of telekinetic force just strong enough to shove Copycat out of reach. It was all that was required.

It was all Maestro was willing to GIVE to a poor Hero gone mad, when the real enemy was right in front of him.

“Not scared? Not Scared!? Thomas, I’m terrified. From moment one, you have been the biggest, most alarming threat to my safety I’ve EVER encountered. Do you think I spent all that time hiding my powers from you because I didn’t want you stealing a good thing? No! I kept my powers away from you because the thought of what you could do with them beyond my own capacity gave me actual nightmares. Everything I’ve done in regards to you has been a game of walking on eggshells. A constant, DESPERATE effort to keep you sane, on the straight and narrow. Confronting your addiction, putting you on trial, pushing you to ask Suzanne out. ALL of it was in the hopes that it would keep you alongside us. That it would keep you from going rogue. Because I knew, I knew more than ANYONE that if you ever turned against the team, it would be exactly this! The single most dangerous and lethal fight of our careers!”

There were tears in the young man’s eyes as he almost howled the rest, his voice a mix of anguish and impotent fury. “Everything I’ve done has been trying to prevent THIS. And it was all for NOTHING. You’ve turned against us, maybe forever…” Again, Maestro’s focus turns back to the Recruiter.

“And it’s all. Your. FAULT!!!” The rage in his voice was palpable as the genius Dreamer attempts once more to fry the force field’s circuits, so blinded by his hatred that he is left open to further attacks from his Hyperkinetic facsimile.

Show
    Move Action: Dazed

Standard Action: Combat Hack the Recruiter's belt. DC 25 save against Vulnerable/Defenceless/Incapacitated Affliction.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

The blast of force hit Copycat hard enough to send him tumbling over himself, rolling over the grass before landing soundly up on one knee. He couldn't hit him. Why couldn't he hit him?!

He watched as his friend yelled at him, yelled about things he hadn't known he believed in. Things Tom wished he wouldn't yell about because they were bringing back little memories and those memories were, for some reason, like Prometheus' fire to his neurons.

This man was a celebrity. An actor. He couldn't care about Tom, because he didn't care about anyone. That was what he'd always been like, wasn't it?

He clenched his fists once more. One of them grew in response, shifting and changing for a second before there was no longer a hand attached to his fist but a giant cinderblock. He didn't know what to say anymore.

"MAESTROOOO!"

The Mimic came back in with a wild swing of his enlarged super-fist, bringing it up and over his head like the massive hammer at a carnival game. His aim was to bring the huge weight down on Maestro's temple, hard enough to crack it open and stop him from saying those nonsensical things.

Show
    Free Action: Amand Noel's Weighted Attacks! Let's take it up to Rank 14.
    Standard Action: Attack with Weighted Punch, All-Out Power Attack 2. Attack (1d20+8)[10] for DC 31 Damage and DC 26 Fortitude against Cumulative Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

The water all around the Recruiter abruptly drops to the floor as liquid tentacles lash out, spearing for the man once more. They collapse a moment later, and Waterworks is not where the Recruiter last saw her.

Show
    Free Action: Switch to Jet Spray.

Standard Action: Jet Spray on the Recruiter, All-Out Power Attacking for 2. (1d20+12)[31] Damage DC 30+Multiattack on a hit (Forgoing Fast Grab).

Move Action: Shift to S14. Hide in Plain Sight: (1d20+21)[38]

Status: Fatigued, 1 Bruise (heals this turn), -5 Active Defenses this turn.
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Once again, Declan leaped in front of his teammates to shield them from harm. With steel and diamond barely scratching his coating and the hyperkinetic shockwave washing upon him harmlessly, he looked upon the summons in defiance and once again unleashed a trememdous barrage of antimatter in front of him, the projectiles uncannily flying around Sean and inside the breach he just made.

Show
    Move: Nah.
    Standard: Sweep, hitting CD, HC and the Recruiter. Dodge DC 21 for half, Toughness DC 26/20 vs Incurable Damage.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Round 4

Sean's augmented claws tore the dream barrier to shreds like it was a highly convincing painting of a stone wall on otherwise normal paper, freeing the way for Wilson's nanites to arc back in and slam the Recruiter's forcefield, knocking him off-balance momentarily.

Maestro's continual assault on the Recruiter's belt proved fruitful, its deflector field going doing entirely and leaving the summoner dangerously exposed.

Waterworks was quick to capitalize, and the Diamond Champion was equally quick to interfere, leaping in the way of the hydromorph's attack to take it to its own nearly-invulnerable hide.

But nothing could entirely in the way of the sheer number of antimatter bullets that Declan poured over the room. The Recruiter's forcefield was battered heavily by the explosions of the air around it being ended in a flash, while the Champion of Dreams fell back under the devastating assault, taking several hits. The Recruiter's belt sparked and smoked. The Hyperkinetic Champion, however, was able to direct the force away from itself, its powers working equally well on matter, antimatter, or energy.

The Recruiter started fiddling with his belt, switching it to reserve power.

The Champion of Haptarus continued her assault on Maestro, having about as much respect for Copycat's desire to duel him as, well, Maestro himself did. Or maybe it was just because he wasn't seeming to be very effective at it. "DEFEND THE BOSS! LET NOTHING THROUGH!" she extolled her allies even as she struck. "He's open! Crush him!" she then shouted at the hyperkinetic, gesturing at Wilson.

The Diamond Champion leaped at its counterpart, coming in with a massive blow to the face followed up with an attempt to grab him so he couldn't defend his allies.

The Hyperkinetic Champion also let loose at Declan, knowing that bringing down the diamond colossus was going to be necessary to break the stalemate. He let loose with full power, putting everything he had behind a crushing hyperkinetic strike.

The Champion of Dreams swooped at Sean, reaching out to touch him once again. She couldn't suppress his powers...but perhaps she could force them under her control.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Recruiter:
    Standard: Recover from Staggered.

Champion of Haptarus:
    Move: Feint Declan at (1d20+20)[40]. If it succeeds, use Set Up 3 to pass the benefit to the other three Champions. ...I think he might be feinted.
    Standard: Attack Maestro with Encouraging Strike at (1d20+12)[22]. On a hit, Toughness DC 27 vs. Damage, Strength or Dodge DC 22 vs. Fast Grab. In addition, all allies are Deflected this turn at 1d10+22, -1 per point Toughness is above 12. Hit

Diamond Champion:
    Move: Into Close range of Declan.
    Standard: Attack Declan with Diamond Blow at (1d20+12)[17]. On a hit, you're immune to the Damage, but Strength DC 16 (after Half Immunity) vs. Move Object as a Grab, and Fortitude DC 22 vs. Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated Affliction. Hit considering Vulnerable

Hyperkinetic Champion:
    Standard: Attack Declan with Hyperkinetic Strike, All Out Power Attack for 5, at (1d20+8)[27]. On a hit, Toughness DC 25 (after halving) vs. Damage, Fortitude DC 31 vs. Cumulative Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated. Note that this might Cumulate with the Diamond Champion's Affliction since they have the same conditions and this one is being used second. Hit

Champion of Dreams:
    Stanard: Charge Sean and attack with Control the Dream at (1d20+10)[15]. On a hit, Fortitude DC 22 vs. Cumulative, Progressive Impaired/Stunned/Controlled Affliction, Limited to Dreamer Powers. Miss

Map

Current Status

All PCs are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-06-21 at 04:26 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Maestro reaches one hand up, grabbing Copycat’s cinderblock strike in his open palm with astonishing ease, and staring down the master mimic with eyes that burn with unparalleled fire. “Thomas, you've always boasted about being the Ultimate Dreamer. Someone who always followed your own path, and damn the consequences because of it. Well, this may well be your new path. Just know that it is a path that I cannot condone, nor one that I can let you continue without putting up every ounce of fight I have to stop it. I won't claim to understand you or approve of what you've done but, for now, I will allow that it is what you truly want to do in your current state of mind.”

"But listen to me, Copycat. Help me to understand all of this. Because, from where I'm standing, seeing a Thomas Chide that has thrown away his inhibitions, unshackled himself and fully spread his wings to his utmost potential, all I can think is this: that you are the absolute weakest I have ever seen you. Bar none.”

“Be honest, Tom. To both me, and yourself.”

“Do you truly feel stronger, now?”

Even as Maestro asks this, he turns his head away from the enraged mimic, directing his attention upon the man who has been a thorn in his side for far too long, striking at the Recruiter directly with the force of his Psychokinetic mind.

Show
    Free Action: Deconstruct Thomas's current worldview

Standard Action: Psychokinetic Strike on the Recruiter. DC 25 Toughness Save against Damage.
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2016-06-21 at 05:04 PM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean darted back past the summons, taking advantage of their ganging up on Declan to lose the Valerie-summon in the melee, to catch the sword-wielding Summon's blade. Even still woozy from the telekinetic blow, he was still more than strong enough to prevent the sword from hitting Maestro. Stepping in between the psychic and the Summon, he let out a soft snarl, one that would hopefully leave the Summons - and the Recruiter - less confident in their ally's advice. The nanites on his claws dissolved under Wilson's direction, forming a smoke that wafted through the destroyed manor, adding to the eerie vibe, while simultaneously infusing the predatorial Dreamer with a heightened resilience.

Even while that was happening, though, the nanite disc came hurtling back for a third slice at the Recruiter.

Show
    Sean:
    Extra Effort: Power Stunt from Predator's Strike: Warning Growl - Affliction 12 (Dazed & Vulnerable / Stunned & Defenceless, Resisted & Overcome by Will), Alternate Defence (Will). Sean is no Brava, so I can't really justify a Strength-discounted effect here. EDIT: Apparently I can, so I will. EDIT 2: Apparently I don't even need to do this.
    Standard: Ready an action to make a Counter attempt once re-Augmented.

Wilson:
    Move: Catch up with Sean.
    Standard: Nanite Augmentation on Sean.
    - 1 point to create an Alternate of Sharp Claws and customise: Warning Growl - Affliction 12 (Dazed / Stunned / Incapacitated, Resisted & Overcome by Will), Penetrating 10, Precise, Subtle 1
    - -12 points removing the assorted Extras from Warning Growl.
    - -8 points (hitting Variable maximum) to add Limited Degree to Warning Growl.
    - 12 points to add Extra Condition to Warning Growl.
    - 12 points to add Alternate Resistance to Warning Growl.
    - 5 points to increase his Regeneration to 10 ranks.
    - 5 points to remove Limited to Half Effect from Alacrity.
    - 5 points to remove Limited to Half Effect from Resilience.
    (Yes I know I have some spare points. Also I think technically I could just use this to get around the Power Stunt by creating a customised Alternate of Sharp Claws or something and removing the Extras I don't need. Which if that is allowed I will totally do instead.)
    The final Warning Growl: Affliction 12 (Dazed & Vulnerable / Stunned & Defenceless), Alternate Resistance (Targets Will Defence), Extra Condition, Limited Degree.
    End of Turn: Recruiter gets a DC23 Toughness save.

Sean's Readied Action: Attempt to Counter the Encouraging Strike: (1d20+11)[16] (+1 to this.)

Sean: Staggered (regenerates next round), Fatigued, Augmented (5/5).
    Wilson: 1 Bruise, Fatigued.
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2016-06-21 at 05:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Upon hearing the Champion of Haptarus' words, Declan prepared to leap in front of Wilson...and found himself ill-prepared to dodge when the summons actually attacked him.

That said, he was still the Unbreakable: the Diamond Champion's blow proved as useless as before, unable to move Declan or even dent his armour, and the Maestro-summon's attack, despite destroying enough of the coating to force him to divert a conscious effort into regenerating it, still achieved little for all the power put behind it.

"Let's see who lasts longer." he declared, smirking, and kept pressing on DAMOCLES' trigger.

Show
    Standard: Sweep, hitting DC (just for the records, of course), CD, HC and the Recruiter. Dodge DC 21 for half, Toughness DC 26/20 vs Incurable Damage.
    Extra Effort: same as above. HP to negate Fatigue.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2016-06-21 at 05:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

The water all around the room picks up in a swirling spray, raging all around the Recruiter. It hammers against him, again and again.

Show
    Free Action: Switch to Water Control.

Standard Action: Water Control on the Recruiter. Damage DC 26.

Extra Effort: Do it again. Damage DC 26.

Move Action: Shift to Q12. Hide in Plain Sight: (1d20+21)[25]

What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Again pushed back into the grass, Tom met Maestro's gaze with a furious one of his own. As he spoke, though, the temperature behind his eyes changed. From fury it moved to contemplation, to guilt, to sadness, and continued to mix and swap between the four as Mentallo went through yet another monologue. He was right. He seemed to be right, at least. But, for whatever reason, Copycat couldn't bring himself to agree. Staring Maestro in the eyes and hurriedly trying to think of a valid counterpoint that probably didn't even exist, he scowled.

"I...I'm defined by the people around me," he said, scanning the battlefield.

"A feedback loop. My team empowers me, and I use that power to bolster them."

He looked into the entrance of the manor, finding and counting the Summons.

"And right now, I don't have a..."

His eyes fell on the limp form of the Recruiter and he paused. Then he looked back to Maestro. The expression he donned next, while still a mixture of the emotions he was displaying, was defined most of all by a sly smile.

"Ah."

He relaxed into a sitting position on the Recruiter's front lawn, crossing his legs and closing his eyes.

Listen to me. I am not going to pretend I have control over you. However, I have been doing this for a salary for longer than the four of you have known time to pass. The Champion of Haptarus is correct; eliminating the Unbreakable will not just help us get through to his allies, but also prevent him from continuing to do unpreventable damage to us. I will do my best to hold him, and I can explain weak points as necessary. If he is eliminated, I will attempt to revive the Recruiter.

His eyes snapped open again, focused intensely on Declan as he continued to sweep the battlefield. He reached out and attempted to slow the time stream around the Unbreakable. Such a power would slow him down, cripple him, making it even harder for him to defend himself adequately.

Show
    Free Action: Switching to War Meditation and taking Set Up to 5.
    Move Action: Feint Declan against Tom and all the summons with Second Chance. Deception (1d20+12)[24] and Deception (1d20+12)[25].
    Reaction: I understand what you're trying to do, really. I like it. But I'm choosing a third option. If possible, I'm going to give the Hero Point to the Summons. If they're obedient to the Acting Recruiter, that is.
    Free Action: Ultimate Dreamer - Switching to Time Jumper's Time Stopping.
    Standard Action: Targeted Time Stop on Declan. DC 20 Will against Entranced/Stunned/Incapacitated.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Round 5

"LET NOTHING THROUGH!" the Champion of Haptarus had yelled.

Spoiler alert?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERYTHING got through!

Even after Sean's intimidating growl, the summons were ready to defend their master from all comers. It just...didn't matter. Maestro slammed his forcefield with invisible telekinetic force. Declan launched antimatter bullets that even if they were physically intercepted, only detonated with flashes of energy that washed over the shield. Waterworks delivered the coup de grace, shattering the forcefield with a deluge of water, and then smashing the Recruiter himself with a blast of hydrokinetic power so forceful that it sent him flying back into the wall to drop, completely senseless, to the floor.

There was a moment's pause among the summons.

Spoiler: Copycat
    Show
    You must defend the Recruiter at any costs! If they kill him here, the source of his summons' energy will be cut off entirely. They'll fade away swiftly.

Show
    As we had discussed previously, you still have to work against the other PCs and can't help them directly, including by revealing this particular bit of information. However, it is now possible, if you want, for Copycat to act inefficiently to give them the edge. This could mean indirectly clueing them into this fact. Just be subtle about it if you do choose to do it. Or you can keep trying to win, you've still got four berserk summons backing you up after all!

And then, as Recruiter summons always seemed to do when their masters went down, they completely flipped out.

"KILL THEM KILL THEM KILL THEM!" the Champion of Haptarus screamed, not even swinging her sword, practically frothing at the mouth, her words slamming Wilson as powerfully as one of Maestro's psychokinetic attacks.

"RAHHHHHHHHH!" roared the Diamond Champion, lunging at Maestro with rending claws, savaging raking swings tearing wildly in an effort to rip the genius psychic to ribbons.

"You..." the Champion of Dreams hissed hatefully at Sean, leaping at him with both hands outstretched. "Your powers are mine! MINE!"

"...Die." intoned the Hyperkinetic Champion, summoning up two massive waves of hyperkinetic force and, with a clap of his hands, bringing them together in an effort to crush Declan between them.

Spoiler: Wilson only, Perception DC 25 (Brilliant Deduction)
    Show
    It suddenly clicks.

The reason that the summons go berserk every time their master falls. It isn't an act of rage. It's an act of fear.

Every Dreamer power needs a power source. The reason the Recruiter is able to summon for others without counting against his personal limits is because he can tie them to the Spiritual Energy of the others. This would also explain why even now that he can draw from any power he's already mimicked, he still needs Dreamers to summon for - Sleepers don't have enough Spiritual Energy to fuel his summons. Even while unconscious, the Dreamer's energy persists, fueling the summons tied to them.

But the Recruiter's energy still matters. He still fuels the Master's Binds that link their spirits to their summons.

Kill the master, the summons will fade.

Kill the Recruiter...no more summons.

Spoiler
    Show
    Champion of Haptarus:
    Standard: Attack Wilson with Power Word. Perception Range attack. Toughness DC 27 vs. Damage.
    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: DO IT AGAIN. Wilson take a Hero Point.

Diamond Champion:
    Move: Into Close range of Maestro.
    Standard: Attack Maestro with Diamond Rend, All Out Power Attack for 5, at (1d20+12)[23]. On a hit, Toughness DC 32/27 vs. Damage Linked Weaken Toughness. Hit
    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: DO IT AGAIN at (1d20+12)[25]. Maestro take a Hero Point. Hit

Champion of Dreams:
    Standard: Charge Sean and attack with Control the Dream, All Out Power Attack for 5, at (1d20+10)[27]. On a hit, Fortitude DC 27 vs. Cumulative, Progressive Impaired/Stunned/Controlled upon Dreamer Powers. Hit
    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: DO IT AGAIN at (1d20+12)[24]. Sean take a Hero Point. Hit

Hyperkinetic Champion:
    Standard: Attack Declan with Hyperkinetic Strike, All Out Power Attack for 5, at (1d20+8)[10]. On a hit, Toughness DC 25 vs. Damage, Fortitude DC 31 vs. Cumulative Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated Affliction. Miss
    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: DO IT AGAIN at (1d20+8)[22]. Declan take a Hero Point. Hit

Map

Current Status

All PCs are on turn
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-06-22 at 12:08 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

For the first time in the battle, Waterworks becomes visible, staring at the Recruiter with no expression on her face. Then the summons all go mad.

Turning, Waterworks lashes her tentacles at the Champion of Dreams in a rush of swirling, raging water. By the time it disappears, Waterworks is once again gone.

Show
    Free Action: Switch to Jet Spray.

Standard Action: Jet Spray at the Champion of Dreams, All-Out Power Attacking for 5. (1d20+10)[24] Damage DC 30+Multiattack on a hit.

Extra Effort plus Hero Point: Do it again. (1d20+10)[21] Damage DC 30+Multiattack on a hit.

Move Action: Shift to Q16. Hide in Plain Sight: (1d20+19)[29]

What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

No, listen, we can still...hello?

Tom looked at the battle raging before him as it broke into full swing, the most spectacular four-on-four he'd ever witnessed. And he wasn't in it. The Heroes, his team since he had started, were here to stop him. The summons, who he was trying to work with, wanted nothing to do with him. He had nothing major, positive or negative, to contribute to either side. He sat just off on the sideline, still in a rather relaxed position, calmly watching. He hadn't been attacked yet. He hadn't really...done anything. He'd hit Declan.

He looked at Declan. What was the point of hitting Declan? When did that ever result in anything significant?

Climbing to his feet, he began to walk. Through the fight he went, not having to worry about being hurt by either side. The Diamond Champion's swings went around him. The Champion of Dreams dashed past him. Nobody reached out to stop him. It was...rather surreal, he thought, as he entered through the front door of the manor.

"Darla?" His voice echoed off what was left of the walls.

"Is this where you're hiding?"

He flexed open his hands, the golden light of Eskiro seeping out as he moved past the Hyperkinetic Champion.

Then he came to a stop, now near the Recruiter, as healing power flowed from his hands into the places where the man had been hit. He was not useless on his own. He controlled reality. And he was not, under any circumstance, the opponent to ignore. If this was how he reminded the Heroes of Millaine that lesson, than so be it. He controlled life and death. Six bruises were nothing.

The golden-white super-concentrated healing energy of a full resuscitation blasted from his hands, filling his master's body and restoring him to health. As the last energy poured out from his palms, Tom's legs went weak, and he collapsed onto the tile floor.

"I'm going to fix your belt. Just stay here," he managed to mutter through heavy panting.

Show
    Move Action: Sad Parkour into N12.
    Free Action: Stunt from Eskiro's Healing; Revive at Rank 10, plus Regeneration 2. Use Power Mastery to take Regeneration to 10, and buy an extra rank of Tiring Healing.
    Standard Action: Revive on the Recruiter. Healing (1d20+11)[25].

Last edited by manwithaplan; 2016-06-22 at 01:02 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

To say being slashed and mauled by a man with diamond claws was "painful" would be an understatement.

Getting stabbed in the sternum by a fire lance was painful. Getting your mind assaulted by a giant space brain was painful.

This... This was agonizing.

But, despite the sight of his own blood spilling across the floor as the Diamond Champion tore into him, Maestro would not budge. After the Diamond Champion's assault, Maestro still held fast, and gave a cold sidelong glance to Copycat and his success at rousing the Recruiter from unconsciousness, even as the Telekinetic's vision began to blur from the pain.

"Congratulations Tom. You're finally admitting who's REALLY in charge."

Maestro's stance begins to falter, the weight of the fight showing all over his face. But the genius refused to fall. "Fine then, you all wanna head back to square one? Fine by me. Consider this ROUND TWO!!!" The young man shouts, before his entire form began to surge with a magnificent ethereal light. His entire form seemed to glow from within, and all around Maestro, one could see sudden random arcs of electricity and fire, excess energy lost to the world as he focused every ounce of his intellect on repairing the damage done to him, the ground caving with the intense effort of stitching the Hyperkinetic Dreamer back together on the subatomic level.

Show
    Free Action: Hero Point Power Stunt: Hyperkinetic Healing Surge: Healing 20 (Limited [Self Only], 5 ranks Restorative, Quirk 1 [Heal Order], Quirk 3 [Increased Effect Cost])

Standard Action: Heal Self (DC 10): (1d20+20)[36] Healed of all Bruises, Toughness restored to full
    Last edited by Capt. Infinity; 2016-06-22 at 01:15 AM.

Characters:
    Maestro Mentallo
    Kane Rainison

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean continued to more-or-less ignore the Champion of Dreams' attempts to meddle with his powers, once again shrugging the Summon away before springing - this time at the Recruiter himself. Wilson, meanwhile, paused to bring another whirling disc into existence, hurling it at the Champion of Dreams - this one edged with razor-sharp blades, which left trails of energy, invisible to the naked eye, forming a forcefield around Sean.

Show
    Sean:
    Standard: Charge the Recruiter with Sharp Claws, all-out/power attacking for 5, +5 for prone target, -2 for Impaired: (1d20+11)[31]. On a hit, DC32 Toughness vs damage. (DC22 for the Diamond Champion if it wants to Interpose.) Crit! Normal DC becomes 37.
    Extra Effort: If the Recruiter isn't down, do it again: (1d20+11)[18].
    End of Turn: Regenerates from Staggered.
    End of Turn: Attempt to recover from Affliction (DC27, -2 for Impaired): (1d20+10)[17] (I'm assuming Dreamer Powers Impaired applies to Sean's Enhanced Stamina.) Progresses to Stunned. Hero Point to remove Stun.

Wilson:
    Standard: Nanite Augmentation on self.
    - 8 points to add Alternate Resistance (Defence) to Nanite Hunters.
    - 10 points to Link Deflect 10 to Nanite Hunters.
    - 1 point to make the Deflect Subtle I [Detect Technology].
    - 1 point to add Enhanced Advantage (Improved Critical 1)
    Extra Effort: Attack the Champion of Dreams with the augmented Nanite Hunters: (1d20+12)[22]. DC23 Defence vs damage on a hit, with Homing 1 and Secondary Effect. Sean is Deflected at 1d10+18.

Sean: -5 to active defences, deflected (1d10+18), Fatigued, Exhausted next round, Augmented (4/5)
    Wilson: 3 Bruises, Dazed this round, Fatigued, Exhausted next round, Augmented (5/5).
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2016-06-22 at 04:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I said I'm not fighting you". Declan said to Copycat, as the Mimic failed to alter the time flow around him, just before being hit again by the full might of the Hyperkinetic Champion's attack: this time it looked like, while not doing excessive damage, its sheer force had got the diamond man for good.

Shaking off the concussion with willpower, the Unbreakable stood true to his name, battered but unyelding.

Then, Copycat revived the Recruiter, and he grimaced.

You really want to force my hand, hu?

Teammate or not, he couldn't be allowed to go around undoing their results, and he certainly wouldn't die from a few antimatter bullets.

With that in mind, he leveled DAMOCLES at the Recruiter, and from there whent on to deliver an antimatter burst to all other enemies exept for the Diamond Champion, which he knew he couldn't hurt anyway.

The burst meant for Copycat, though, went particuarly off target, almost as if it was just a warning shot.

Show
    Move: N22 -> O17
    Standard: All-out Multiattack (-5)
    Toughness DC 26 vs Incurable Damage
    Copycat: (1d20+11)[13]
    Champion of Haptarus: (1d20+11)[21]
    Power Attack, Toughness DC 31 vs Incurable Damage
    Recruiter: Routine for 16
    Champion of Dreams: (1d20+6)[15]
    Hyperkinetic Champion: (1d20+6)[18]

(If some targets are already downed by Sean/Wilson, adjust multiattack penalty)
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2016-06-22 at 04:45 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Round 6

Waterworks slammed the Champion of Dreams, but found her oddly difficult to catch...solidly. It wasn't quite a forcefield, but it was like the summon was repelling her like a magnet. Didn't really stop Waterworks from smashing and grabbing her, but made it harder.

The Recruiter awoke under Tom's administrations, blinking around a moment before letting out an annoyed sigh. This crass violence against his person was just one more of the many indignities that these Heroes had offered. "I suppose if I want to make some pointed monologue this is the time for it, hm?" he asked rhetorically.

Sean and Declan made sure he didn't have the time for it. His summons leaped to his defense, taking the attacks meant for him and themselves alike, though not without damage. But once they were there, Sean darted past them, scything through the Recruiter's weakened forcefield and tearing open his chest, leaving him once again passed out on the floor.

Wilson's Nanite Hunters aimed true, and the Champion of Dreams was completely exposed. He had her number for sure, but the Haptaran leaped in, shoving her suddenly out of the way before pulling back quick as a wink to just avoid the Hunters themselves.

The Hyperkinetic Champion followed Waterworks' watery limbs back to her, finally able to reasonably target the elusive hydromorph. He took full advantage of the opportunity, lashing out at her with a hyperkinetic slam that would both smash her hard and hopefully knock her tentacles away from the Champion of Dreams.

Regardless of whether or not she was freed, the latter reached out for Maestro, calling upon her ability to suppress Dreamer powers in an effort to strip his away.

The Diamond Champion went at Sean, unaware of Wilson's barrier, clasping both hands together into a single giant diamond fist and bringing it down on his head.

The Champion of Haptarus lashed out furiously at Maestro as he healed himself. "PRESS ON! WE FIGHT TO THE LAST!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hyperkinetic Champion:
    Standard: Attack Waterworks with Hyperkinetic Slam, All Out Power Attack for 5, -2 for partial concealment (I figure with her Stealth it's still hard to quite judge where her invulnerable water tentacles end and she begins), at (1d20+6)[11]. On a hit, Toughness DC 36 vs. Secondary Effect Damage, and the Move Object provides an Escape for the Champion of Dreams at (1d20+16)[18] (against the normal DC of 24 since he's not half-immune). Miss.

Champion of Dreams:
    Standard: Suppress the Dream on Maestro, All Out Power Attack for 5, at (1d20+12)[31]. On a hit, Will DC (1d20+17)[30] or all Dreamer powers are Nullified. Powers with ranks higher than Will substitute those ranks. Hit

Diamond Champion:
    Move: Into Close range of Sean.
    Standard: Attack Sean with Diamond Blow, All Out Power Attack for 5, at (1d20+12)[31] Deflected at (1d10+18)[27]. On a hit, Toughness DC 32 vs. Damage, Fortitude DC 27 vs. Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated Affliction, and Strength+Power Lifting or Mobility DC (1d20+17)[32] vs. Move Object as a Trip. Hit

Champion of Haptarus:
    Standard: Attack Maestro with Inspiring Strike, All Out Power Attack for 5, at (1d20+12)[32]. On a hit, Toughness DC 32 vs. Damage, Strength or Dodge DC 27 vs. Fast Grab, and all allies who can hear her receive Persistent Healing at (1d20+8)[14], degree capped by degree of damage. Crit. DCs become 37 and 32. One degree healing if the save fails.

Map

Current Status

All PCs are on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2016-06-22 at 01:24 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean looked between the two 'female' Summons, pausing a moment to catch his breath, claws slick with blood for the second time that day. "Your master is defeated. Again. You might as well just give up." His fearsome growl of a voice was as much intended to draw their attention as it was to frighten them, as Wilson launched another disk at the Champion of Dreams while the old one arced back for another slice at the Champion of Haptarus.

Show
    Sean:
    Standard: Recover from Exhausted.
    Move: Startle the Champion of Dreams and the Champion of Haptarus (-2 for multiple non-minions, -2 for move action): (1d20+16)[25]. Use Set-up 2 to give the benefit to Wilson and Declan.

EDIT: Aaand I just remembered that the Champion of Dreams is a) Vulnerable already and b) highly resistant to Sean's Intimidation because it's Dreamer-powered. Darn it. If I can change that to the Diamond Champion I will.

Wilson:
    Standard: Nanite Hunters on the Champion of Dreams, power attacking for 2 (-2 for Exhausted): (1d20+8)[23]. On a hit, DC25 Defence vs damage. The Deflect will be for Maestro unless he miraculously tanks the Will save in which case it'll go onto Wilson.
    End of Turn: Unless it Interposed for the latest Nanite Hunters, Champion of Haptarus gets a DC23 Defence save vs damage.

Sean: Fatigued, +2 to defences, Augmented (3/5)
    Wilson: 3 Bruises, Exhausted, Augmented (4/5)
    Last edited by Llyarden; 2016-06-22 at 03:26 PM.