New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: xkcd 1 (As Far As I Can Tell): Wow, That's a Really Cool Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    But...like, a third of English is stolen from German to begin with!
    Well, i would certainly hope so, since English is a Germanic language.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

I guess Everieb Oddy thought the joke was confusing.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Well, kind of. You still a lot of similar words but then many of those are older, I think.
    But while sure, we could come up with our own new words it is much easier to borrow from English, especially since it makes learning English easier if you already know terms for most modern stuff.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, man, you wouldn't believe what letters we can make silent.
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of consonants cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

- part real, part imaginary -

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

So? I'm pretty sure German just stole its words, from an even older language like Latin or some other language.

It's not like they are getting thinned out due to borrowing.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder what would show up on a canine genetic test if you sent in a human sample...?

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    So? I'm pretty sure German just stole its words, from an even older language like Latin or some other language.
    I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't bet on that. German and Latin are of distinct families. It's possible that they share a common ancestor, but they certainly don't appear to bear much similarity.

I think English is a member of the Germanic languages, but it seems like it uses only Germanic grammar and takes its vocabulary mostly from Latin.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2016-07-15 at 06:07 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    I think English is a member of the Germanic languages, but it seems like it uses only Germanic grammar and takes its vocabulary mostly from Latin.
    It takes bits from everywhere. The basis is the Celtic dialects spoken by the British tribes during the Roman occupation, with a bunch of Latin added on top. Then we have the influx of proto-German from the Anglo-Saxon invasion of the 5th century, Danish influences from the Vikings in the 9th, and mediaeval French from the Norman invasion in 1066, before we even start talking about the various words borrowed from other languages later on. The Norman Invasion, in particular, is why English is one of the few languages in the world where the word for the meat of an animal is different from the name of the animal itself--the peasants keeping the animals used their old names for them, whereas their Norman overlords would be eating the meat and calling it by their names.
    Last edited by factotum; 2016-07-15 at 06:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't bet on that. German and Latin are of distinct families. It's possible that they share a common ancestor, but they certainly don't appear to bear much similarity.

Well... kind of. German and latin share many similarities, e.g. we do have four of its five cases still. We decline and conjugate following similar-ish rules. We do have quite a few words taken from Latin but we also have many others, either taken from elswhere or we... I guess came up with ourselves.

From my very limited knowledge I think English is one of the languages that really is prominently made by mixing many others. (Obviously, most modern languages especially major European ones are influenced by others because of years of contact and interaction. But in English it's more obvious) Many, many, many words can be easily derived from French or Latin or German (or others) words with similar meaning, though at times with German and French it could be the other way round which came first... better ask a linguist about that.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #129

I wonder what would show up on a canine genetic test if you sent in a human sample...?

Actually, you got a lot of words from German. Like, let's take your post, bold for words I'm sure are Germanic:

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't bet on that. German and
    Latin are of distinct families. It's possible that they share a common ancestor, but they certainly don't appear to bear much similarity.

Last edited by Eldan; 2016-07-15 at 07:49 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I think English is one of the languages that really is prominently made by mixing many others. (Obviously, most modern languages especially major European ones are influenced by others because of years of contact and interaction. But in English it's more obvious)
    Sort of, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is special in that way. In general, the more a country has been invaded or has invaded other cultures, the more likely it is to have a variety of sources. For example, Spain is also is like that, since it has been invaded by the romans (caballo - horse), the germans (yelmo - helmet), the muslims (alfombra - carpet), the french (who reintroduced latin-based romance languages, but I don't have a good example handy), then went around the world invading others (chocolate).

India, too, has a similarly exciting history, but so far they have kept most of their languages separate: most of my Indian friends can speak their local language (but not read it or write it), one of the "dominant" languages (usually Hindi or Telugu), can read Sanskrit "a bit" and finally English. I suppose it technically doesn't count as mix because they still think of them as separate, but that's splitting hairs - they actually mix them all together as needed. I expect than in a couple hundred year's time, that will all merge into a unified "Indian" language.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2016-07-15 at 08:06 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

And now they're stealing it back!

PIE. Proto-Indo-European. Common ancestor of (almost) all European Languages among many others.

As others have said, English is very much a mongrel language. It's considered Germanic by experts on account of it's Germanic grammar but it's lexicon is something like two-thirds latin-based, either directly or via the Norman/French connection. Sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Actually, you got a lot of words from German. Like, let's take your post, bold for words I'm sure are Germanic:
    Nitpick: Use comes from Latin. Vulgar Latin usare turned into usar in Spanish and user in French. I guess the Brits lopped off the r on user because nobody was... using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Sort of, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is special in that way. In general, the more a country has been invaded or has invaded other cultures, the more likely it is to have a variety of sources. For example, Spain is also is like that, since it has been invaded by the romans (caballo - horse), the germans (yelmo - helmet), the muslims (alfombra - carpet), the french (who reintroduced latin-based romance languages, but I don't have a good example handy), then went around the world invading others (chocolate).
    (popurrí - potpourri) for the French example. English is still an odd case in just how much it has taken from other languages, though. Spanish, despite the Iberian Peninsula's colourful history, is roughly 70% Latin and owes only 5% or so to each it's Goth conquerors and it's Muslim ones. Part of that Latin came via Portuguese, Italian and French, but it's still mostly it's own sort of mutant Latin
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2016-07-15 at 08:46 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I'm remembering, but not finding, someone in this forum, probably but not necessarily in this thread, saying that the german for saucer was under-cup (or rather the german equivalents), so does that mean that in German UFOs are flying under-cups ? Because that would be hilarious, and it would be pretty funny if flying saucer in german meant UFO, but not flying under-cup. No offence intended to the german language, just a funny thing that maybe arose in translation.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #133

Absolutely, yes. It is undercup. The term "Fliegende Untertasse", flying Under-cup does exist, but it has pretty much phased out in favour of UFO. Which just so happens to also mean Unbekanntes Flug-Objekt, so it works for German, too.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    India, too, has a similarly exciting history, but so far they have kept most of their languages separate: most of my Indian friends can speak their local language (but not read it or write it), one of the "dominant" languages (usually Hindi or Telugu), can read Sanskrit "a bit" and finally English. I suppose it technically doesn't count as mix because they still think of them as separate, but that's splitting hairs - they actually mix them all together as needed. I expect than in a couple hundred year's time, that will all merge into a unified "Indian" language.

Grey Wolf
    That's kind of unlikely to happen. North and South Indian languages actually have two completely separate roots. The South Indian languages are Dravidian in origin, while the North Indian ones are Indo-European. Given that the languages have stayed largely separate for quite a long time, I doubt that they'd combine anytime soon. What's more likely to happen is that the smaller languages will die off over time, and more people will adopt using the same language (probably Hindi).

Interestingly enough, the South Indian languages are close enough to each other that, with proper fluency in one, you could understand others*. It's possible for a merged language to happen with them, but it definitely hasn't happened yet.

*Mostly through a combination of similar words and context clues.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Dragon View Post
    "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of consonants cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
    <s> It's okay, consonants are a conserved quantity in spoken English. For example, the Rs that disappear when a Bostonian "Pahks his cah" reappear when a Texan "worrrshes" hers. </s>
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Apparently, Gnome Ann's Sky is running into legal trouble over a potentially patented use of an interesting algorithm for procedural terrain generation.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/0...-superformula/
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    <s> It's okay, consonants are a conserved quantity in spoken English. For example, the Rs that disappear when a Bostonian "Pahks his cah" reappear when a Texan "worrrshes" hers. </s>
    Also, glottal stops are fun.

WHAT NOW, XKCD GUY?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2