New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Vaarsuvius' gender; REVIVED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBV View Post
    I read the BRiTF commentary and... I'm not quite sure you can actually call it evidence. The Giant is kind of talking from Tarquin's PoV about the Order in that sentence.
    Fair enough, then at the very least it is a strong indication.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Clearly elves have eldritch abominations in their pants that only elves can handle the sight of; other races have to roll a saving throw upon meeting an elf to not become obsessed with discovering the shape of that elf's genitals. V casts invisibility when peeing so that Belkar's mind wil not be torn asunder by the sight of hir unfathomable genitalia. Lirian and Dorukan were only able to have sex in the light through Epic level magic. Half-elves who are the product of a human and an elf rather than two half-elves are usually conceived in magical darkness to protect their human parents.

Don't peek under V's robes; you can't handle the truth.
    Last edited by acire; 2016-05-05 at 09:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by acire View Post
    Clearly elves have eldritch abominations in their pants that only elves can handle the sight of; other races have to roll a saving throw upon meeting an elf to not become obsessed with discovering the shape of that elf's genitals. V casts invisibility when peeing so that Belkar's mind wil not be torn asunder by the sight of hir unfathomable genitalia. Lirian and Dorukan were only able to have sex in the light through Epic level magic. Half-elves who are the product of a human and an elf rather than two half-elves are usually conceived in magical darkness to protect their human parents.

Don't peek under V's robes; you can't handle the truth.
    You jest, but while it's not part of the continuity, something similar has made it onto the site...
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    it was a simple mixup of Sex and Gender. i blame pokemon.

Sex is the raw genetic structure that composes your body, in mammals like us, if you have Y chromosome, you are sexually a male, no ifs, ands, or buts. if you don't, you are sexually female. Gender is more like a software program, it's more fluid, more prone to change, and can sometimes be put in the wrong hardware.

Pokemon made the mistake of labelling pokemon Sex as pokemon Gender because they didn't want to include the word "sex" in their game.

So in this instance, we're not saying this particular elf has no sex, but just doesn't conform to either gender. Barring severe genetic defects, V is more then likely fully capable of procreating normally as whatever sex they physically are.

Apologies, i just felt like i had to clear that up to prevent confusion.
    Not kidding? It really was Pokemon, of all things, that caused this annoying misperception so, so, so many people have about sex and gender?

Wow.

Though I would hope that most people at least knew the correct word use, even though they are using it wrong. There is no need to discuss V's gender, V does not have a gender.

V has a sex, and most "evidence" people use to determine V's gender (which V pretty obviously does not have) is completely useless for figuring out V's sex.

Since the author does not want V's sex revealed, it is very unlikely that we will ever find out.

We could assume that V is male as V never complained about having month-long periods every couple of years or so, but since we don't know whether female elves have periods, this is no solid proof, either.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Not kidding? It really was Pokemon, of all things, that caused this annoying misperception so, so, so many people have about sex and gender?
    I am actually pretty sure that it was the opposite - gender and sex have been used as interchangeable for a long time, with gender and sex theorists introducing in recent times the distinction you people refer to in their scientific field. When the pop version of gender theories spread, this became (to some) the correct meaning. In truth, gender and sex are still interchangeable, if you aren't talking about gender theories, just as you can call green beans vegetables, if you aren't talking about botanic, in which case they are fruits. The fact that there is an ideological battle going on about the concepts represented by these terms makes it much more likely that someone will correct you, however.

"Sex" and "gender" as "the males" or "the females" opposed to each other are used since the 15th century. "Sex" as "a single person's sex" is used since the 16th. "Sex" as "sexual act" is from the beginning of the 20th century, at which point "gender" began to be used to refer to an individual's sex. Gender was used for both biological and social attributes since 1963. No idea of when the use of gender was supposed to become exclusive of mental constructs, which it actually hasn't yet: there's a lot of overlapping.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

H'uh. I did not know that. I learned today!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I'll pop in and say that I am thoroughly offended and dismayed by how the here named post mixed up on the only valid information we have: it's genderqueer, not genderfluid Or it's referring to something I haven't read yet.
    Nope, you offence is well placed - I just used the wrong word. I will change it.