New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread VII: No Consensus, Left Unsealed

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Think Voodoo.
    I was trying to think of a less obvious idea though.

What's the end game with voodoo?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I was trying to think of a less obvious idea though.

Hurting and tormenting you but not actually hurting you.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, that was disturbing. I guess there's a reason that both Dollamancy and Turnamancy are referred to as "Spookism".

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

A string to steal, a dark room, Splinter Cell style nightvision goggles, torture references....

Did Bill just steal her G-String?
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2016-04-04 at 04:44 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #365

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    A string to steal, a dark room, Splinter Cell style nightvision goggles, torture references....

I don't think non-thinkamancers even know they exist. Weren't they introduced as one of the Great Minds' Big Secrets Charlie Knows™?

6. - Top - End - #366

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Well Parson wasn't wasn't tugging on it.

Making the voodoo doll to torture Maggie seems kinda... I dunno, boring. I guess it'll work for interrogating her, but I am hoping it will be more Frankendoll impostor to trick Parson with.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I don't think non-thinkamancers even know they exist. Weren't they introduced as one of the Great Minds' Big Secrets Charlie Knows™?
    The update said that he had learned some thinkamancy, even more than Bunny knew he had. He might have learned some secrets that he shouldn't have learned. Keep in mind that Bunny was in trouble for not keeping secrets.

OTOH, this didn't sound like a g-string to me. (Pun noticed, but not intended.)

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

I think the string was a reference to the strings Wanda and Whatsherface saw that connected things.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Various different stuff.

Scariest implication is slowly taking over Maggie piece by piece, until the doll becomes the real Maggie, and Maggie is just a human puppet. Maggie becomes sleeper agent for TV. Although Jack would notice.
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-04-04 at 08:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The deal Don made with Stanley was for the release of all three prisoners. Anything that didn't involve the release of Maggie, the real Maggie, would be a breach of contract would it not?

I am thinking either a voodoo doll that can control Maggies actions.

My other thought was a Frakenstein doll that could mimic Maggie's abilities as a thinkamancer, but then Jack would have been a better choice for that given that Transylvito doesn't have a foolamancer.

Whatever the use for this new type of doll is, Bill has successfully surpassed Wanda and Decryption in creep factor for me.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2016-04-05 at 02:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Whatever the use for this new type of doll is, Bill has successfully surpassed Wanda and Decryption in creep factor for me.
    What Bill is doing seems like slow moving Decryption, only when you're alive. I hope he lives a brief life and dies a horrible death (and his ashes is scattered in the wind - Decrypted Bill is too horrible to contemplate)
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-04-05 at 04:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Did they just torture Maggie to steal her strings?

In the prequel book Wanda mentioned a thinkamancer and a dollamancer breathed life into dolls but when the thinkamancer croaked the dolls became just normal animated dolls (Dorothy's companions: the scarecrow and tinman). Maybe Bunnie helped Bill did with this at one time and now he uses Maggie for the same purpose.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Did they just torture Maggie to steal her strings?
    No, I think stealing her strings is just that painful. I shudder to think what is next. Dismantling her mind one piece at the time?

Only way out is killing Bill or making him undo his "damage". Other way is probably Decrypting Maggie, which is weird as it is.

On one hand this comic made me care, on the other hand, I hate the direction this is going. Remember when Erfworld was a relatively sheery place with stuffed animals and weirdly pronounced names? Neither do I!
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-04-05 at 05:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #374

How can I be so confused by text updates? Aren't they supposed to be clear? And I seem to be the only one.

Questions:
    - How can Ivan have had any power in Wanda's imprisonment? Update 139 says: "This triggered a trap and revealed Qualifed Dirtamancer Ivan Poe, which added nicely to the evidence against him.", but after that, he gets to be temporarily Wanda's captor? Why?
    - Janis is now Wanda's captor... Because she's her advocate? Can't the captors be the Great Minds and Janis the advocate. Meh.
    - It's no shock to Janis that the bodies are Wanda's first concern. Is decryption that important to Wanda? Not losing the gifts that so many powerful units bodies are?
    - It's still the same day than the events in MK here? So we already know that 3 days later she will still be in trial. And the second part of the update would be 3 days later?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    - It's no shock to Janis that the bodies are Wanda's first concern. Is decryption that important to Wanda? Not losing the gifts that so many powerful units bodies are?
    Because decrypted, unlike uncroaked, are alive? Which makes any croakamancer attuned to the Arkenpliers a redeemer in Erfworld.

I understand that many here don't like Wanda because necromancy, but I don't think that's a correct assessment of her role, not that I think any other necromancer attuned to the Arkenpliers would necessarily be less good.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

- How can Ivan have had any power in Wanda's imprisonment? Update 139 says: "This triggered a trap and revealed Qualifed Dirtamancer Ivan Poe, which added nicely to the evidence against him.",
    Because the thinkamancers hadn't presented their charges or evidence yet.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

How can I be so confused by text updates? Aren't they supposed to be clear? And I seem to be the only one.

Questions:
    - How can Ivan have had any power in Wanda's imprisonment? Update 139 says: "This triggered a trap and revealed Qualifed Dirtamancer Ivan Poe, which added nicely to the evidence against him.", but after that, he gets to be temporarily Wanda's captor? Why?
    - Janis is now Wanda's captor... Because she's her advocate? Can't the captors be the Great Minds and Janis the advocate. Meh.
    - It's still the same day than the events in MK here? So we already know that 3 days later she will still be in trial. And the second part of the update would be 3 days later?
    1) Ivan just moved quickly. He became her captor before many people realized that he had set the trap. The Great Minds noticed, but they tend to move slowly. They wanted to make sure they had sufficient evidence before accusing him. That apparently took a little while. Once Ivan was accused and arrested, Janis became Wanda's captor.

2) Janis is both Wanda's captor and her advocate. The Great Minds would rather orchestrate things than get involved so directly. They are probably trying to act neutral and Roger wouldn't allow them to favor GK too much.

3) That's Wanda for you. Units dust all the time. She's used to that. She loves to control dead bodies and make them loyal to her and it's her job as well.

4) Yes the top part happened the night after the battle. I think the bottom part happened a full day later. You might be correct about Wanda going on trial three days after the battle, but I couldn't find where that came from. Why do you think it was three days? (It was going to take Stanley three turns to travel back to Spacerock with the Juggles, but that didn't have anything to do with when Wanda would go on trial.)

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

How can the GM claim neutrality when they played host for Parson and his troops and gave Goblin Knob free magic assistance with various linkups? Eveyone in the MK must be aware of that by now.

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    4) Yes the top part happened the night after the battle. I think the bottom part happened a full day later. You might be correct about Wanda going on trial three days after the battle, but I couldn't find where that came from. Why do you think it was three days? (It was going to take Stanley three turns to travel back to Spacerock with the Juggles, but that didn't have anything to do with when Wanda would go on trial.)
    Benjamin said to Caesar in previous update that Wanda was on trial and would be likely executed.
    Seemed to me that it took 3 turns for Caesar to return from field, but might be two (Parson and Jack had 2 upkeep meal anyway).

As I said, it's confusing to me.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

How can the GM claim neutrality when they played host for Parson and his troops and gave Goblin Knob free magic assistance with various linkups? Eveyone in the MK must be aware of that by now.
    Great Minds that think alike (GMTTA), can claim they were helping Gobwin Knob to prevent CharlesComm from causing even more harm. And they would have a point. It's unknown for how long CC had ability to invade Magic Kingdom. Maybe even before Parson was a threat?

And now with Charlescomm proven to be a real threat, who better to handle him, than the guy that was summoned to kill him.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I didn't say "claim." I said "act" and I meant with respect to the trial. They wouldn't want to be an advocate. Jojo and other might accuse them of being biased, but the GMs could counter by saying that they were keeping an eye on Parson. Mostly they will try to let evidence do the talking for them. Once they do that, they can use the arguments that -D- just mentioned.

The GMs would have wanted to know anything that Wanda could have told them about the linkup with Lilith and what Charlie was doing, though. I wonder how much of that she will tell to Janis.

Benjamin said to Caesar in previous update that Wanda was on trial and would be likely executed.
    Seemed to me that it took 3 turns for Caesar to return from field, but might be two (Parson and Jack had 2 upkeep meal anyway).

As I said, it's confusing to me.
    Huh. I just realized that Don told Caesar to return one day before the battle in the MK happened. That update takes two days (and the picture at the bottom is on the third day). I wonder what the "other complicated affairs" that Don hinted about might have been, then, since it couldn't have been about Parson. Something to do with FAQ?

Anyway, this is the way I understand it:
    Day -1: Don calls Caesar. Caesar starts traveling to meet with Don.
    Day 0: Battle in MK happens during CC's turn and Charlie cries. Stanley probably starts to return during GK's turn. Sometime before TV's turn, Bunny tells Caesar that Parson was captured. Parson and Jack eat and talk during TV's turn and Caesar presumably continues to travel. Janis visits Wanda at night.
    Day +1: We don't know what happens during CC's turn. Stanley presumably travels further during GK's turn (or starts). Parson and Jack get their second meals during TV's turn and Caesar arrives and talks with Don and Don negotiates with Stanley who was done traveling for the day. At night, Bill makes his voodoo doll of Maggie.

I think there is a bit of a goof in there in that it looked as if Stanley was traveling when Don called him. I think it probably was that Stanley had finished traveling already and he hadn't gotten around to having the Juggles get off the road and set up their tents yet. The time it took for Caesar to arrive and Don to call him may have been very compressed from Stanley's POV. If not, there is an extra night in there between when Caesar arrived and when he met with Don and the meeting with Don happened before TV's turn. It doesn't make sense that they would wait, though.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-04-05 at 10:56 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Banned

I miss when Erfworld was a comic. The writing is not strong enough to hold up in book format.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I miss when Erfworld was a comic. The writing is not strong enough to hold up in book format.
    QFT.

Also it was a lot more fun.

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Looking back in the archive, this is the 6th text update in a row. Did one of the artists have a life issue that prevents the comic pages from getting done?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Looking back in the archive, this is the 6th text update in a row. Did one of the artists have a life issue that prevents the comic pages from getting done?
    I doubt it. It looks like he's just using the format that works best for the material. The pages are all about what the characters are thinking and saying. That works best in a mostly text format.

By "best," I mostly mean "most efficiently". It could be done in a regular comic format, but it would probably drag out longer. I think Rob was worried about the Chapter running too long and doesn't want to add too many extra pages. Using text lets him have more content per page.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-04-05 at 01:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

There have been some text updates where a lot of the content either wasn't all that relevant, or could have been conveyed through non-textual elements of a comic update. I'm not sure if this update is one of them, though.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-04-05 at 01:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    There have been some text updates where a lot of the content either wasn't all that relevant, or could have been conveyed through non-textual elements of a comic update. I'm not sure if this update is one of them, though.
    I could see this page being done in comic form. Play with the lighting a bit to add extra creepy visuals.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I could see this page being done in comic form. Play with the lighting a bit to add extra creepy visuals.
    But you wouldn't get the thoughts that Bill was thinking to himself without just having a lot of thought bubbles while he wasn't doing anything. There was very little physical action to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Page 143 could have been done as a comic, I suppose, but the result would have just been a lot of panels of people talking to each other. As it was, we saw what action we would have wanted to see, and it was drawn as nice big panels, instead of being squished down to make room for panels of dialog. Page 146 could have been done as a comic, too. Again, though, there just would have been a bunch of panels of people talking so it wouldn't have made a visually interesting comic page. I don't think the page was all that essential, but it did reintroduce TV's situation and some important characters, which we hadn't seen for quite a while, and it provided Caesar's and Bunny's opinions of Parson and GK, which were a bit different than we might have expected. It probably wouldn't have been a good idea to just skip it. The next page may have had too much talking to fit on one page. It probably could have been shrunken down, but it might have lost some of the effect. Again, you would have just had people talking, but at least there would have been more of a variety of people talking than on the previous page. IIIRC, DigoDragon said that he would have wanted to see Don's reaction. For me, often that sort of thing is better left to my imagination. That may be more of a YMMV thing.

I think the main issue is that things are winding down after the battle in GK and we are going to have to go through the aftermath of that. A lot of fairly complicated stuff is going on, so things wont' be resolved all that quickly. It will probably take some time before things ramp up to the next bit of action, whatever that is.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-04-05 at 03:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389

But you wouldn't get the thoughts that Bill was thinking to himself without just having a lot of thought bubbles while he wasn't doing anything. There was very little physical action to show.
    I was thinking of narration boxes with Bill's thoughts, and for the scenes we see the doll skulking into the jail cell.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

That's what got me about that update. There's a lot to gain from doing it as a comic, but also a lot to lose.

Page 143 could have been done as a comic, I suppose, but the result would have just been a lot of panels of people talking to each other. As it was, we saw what action we would have wanted to see, and it was drawn as nice big panels, instead of being squished down to make room for panels of dialog. Page 146 could have been done as a comic, too. Again, though, there just would have been a bunch of panels of people talking so it wouldn't have made a visually interesting comic page. I don't think the page was all that essential, but it did reintroduce TV's situation and some important characters, which we hadn't seen for quite a while, and it provided Caesar's and Bunny's opinions of Parson and GK, which were a bit different than we might have expected. It probably wouldn't have been a good idea to just skip it.

I think the main issue is that things are winding down after the battle in GK and we are going to have to go through the aftermath of that. A lot of fairly complicated stuff is going on, so things wont' be resolved all that quickly. It will probably take some time before things ramp up to the next bit of action, whatever that is.
    143 could easily have been done as a comic, except for one thing: even without the guns, we've seen Archons attack at range in ways that didn't look like straightforward Shockmancy. That's an issue with previous portrayals of Archon abilities, though, not with this update. (Also, I'm not sure if that discrepancy was resolved elsewhere.) Otherwise, there's nothing in Stanley's internal thoughts that's really contributing to the update, so cut the dialogue in half, focus on the demonstration, and you're good to go.

144-146, shrug. 147 and 148 could have been two comic updates each; I'd rather see 148 than 147, but 148 also has more valuable internal narration than 147.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-04-05 at 03:54 PM.