New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Heart of Stone

1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Heart of Stone

The innkeeper scratches the stubble on his chin. "The merchants have been bringing in rumours of some hothead out in the countryside up in Grenwald firing up the blood of the locals. From what I've heard, he's spreading a lot of talk about returning to the glory days of Hethber Stormfist."

The innkeeper goes behind the bar and draws two tankards of ale and shouts your order into the kitchen. "Korga, two plates of stew!"

He delivers the tankards to your table.

"Oh, and folk down at Sadin's farm are having a problem with livestock disappearing at night. Whatever's taking 'em doesn't seem to leave tracks. It's got old man Sadin at his whit's end."

A female orc walks out of the kitchens carrying two streaming bowls and some thick slices of bread and delivers them to your table. She smiles affectionately at the innkeeper and gives you a friendly nod.
    Last edited by KhornetheGrim; 2016-11-24 at 10:52 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

"Much unrest in the lands, these days! Well, at least we have a good meal ahead of us. We are set to meet someone here, so if you could let anyone who asks know that Victor Earthborn is here, I would be greatly appreciative."

Victor claps Dartanjan on the shoulder with thanks and sits down to enjoy the meal.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Dartanjan smiles a wry smile at the innkeeper as he sits down to his ale. "A man who can please an orc. I have found another level of respect for you." Dartanjan lifts his ale in a toast. "To the MAN of the home!"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The innkeeper grins and gives Dartanjan a wink and returns to the bar.

The stew is thick and hearty and is very satisfying after a long day in the saddle.

You get some looks and polite nods from the other patrons.

Do either of you want to do anything else with your evening?

5. - Top - End - #275

BlackDragon

Dartanjan finishes his meal and orders a pitcher of ale (are there any games taking place in the pub? Dice? Cards? Domino's? ).

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

There is a group of men at one of the tables that look to be playing a game of cards for pennies. They look like a mix of farmhands and caravan workers.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Victor eats with gusto, though he drinks little and raises an eyebrow at the pitcher purchased by Dartanjan.

"I take it you're thirsty, friend! I prefer to keep my wits about me, given we are waiting on an... ally. Go, though! I can tell you've been bereft of good company. Make friends with these fine folk, I'll relax here and enjoy the atmosphere."

He relaxes in his chair, taking the maul from his back and setting it at his side as he leans back.

8. - Top - End - #278

BlackDragon

With a smile and the swagger of one who probably shouldn't drink more, Dartanjan saunters over to the group playing cards.

"What are the odds of getting dealt into the next hand for a tankard?" He says as a couple of coins slip out of his hand and he comically turns around trying to chase them down with his eyes on the floor.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

One of the men chuckles. "Pull up a seat, friend. We're playing King's Bluff. Ten copper buy-in."

One of the men starts to shuffle the cards and deals a round to everyone at the table. Introductions are made.

10. - Top - End - #280

BlackDragon

(D20)[4]

Gather information modifier is +15

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

One of the men at the table is from a caravan that has recently travelled through the Grenwald area. "It was a nervous trek through that area. We was afraid of gettin' robbed the entire time. I was talking to a feller up in Highmill what told me his caravan got robbed by some bandits calling themselves the Sons of Hethber. Took all their money and valuables."

Another of the men at the table introduces himself as Par Sadin Jr. "It's been going on for weeks now. Every few nights we lose a goat or a few chickens. We started getting some of the farmhands to keep watch at nights, but I'm sure the lazy sods are napping cause they always saw they never saw nothing. One said he thought he heard the sound of dogs yapping, but we never found no tracks."

No one at the table has heard or seen anything about an elf woman.

12. - Top - End - #282

BlackDragon

"I like a mystery! And putting the boots to bandits would really help me sleep at night."

Dartanjan downs the rest of his ale and stands from the table.

"Speaking of sleep, if I'm to stay this pretty I'm going to need to get me some."

He tosses the next hands worth of coppers on the table. "Thank you for taking my money and regailing me with such fascinating tales. Safe journeys."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing Dartanjan rising, Víctor stands and slings his maul back over his shoulder. Gathering his bag and his crossbow, he heads to the stairs and starts up, aiming to arrive half a step before Dartanjan, making his way to their rooms.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your rooms are simple, but the beds are comfortable. After so long in the saddle, which neither of you are used to, you fall asleep quickly and sleep deeply. You awaken the following morning feeling well rested and head downstairs for a breakfast of fresh bread, thick slabs bacon and roasted potatoes.

15. - Top - End - #285

BlackDragon

Dartanjan pushes bqck his now spotless plate and takes a swig of water.

"So Victor, did you want to do some exploring around town or is our contact the type that is easily missed if we're not here? I'm kinda curious about the Phantom with an appetite. Reminds me of street kid I knew. Look away from the table and the whole roast would be gone. Not even grease left... just a smile on that mischievous rascals face."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Victor nods slowly, considering.

"I'm honestly not sure, I was told she'd be here when I arrived, and I did not tarry on the way. Honestly, these bandits attacking caravans concern me, as she may have been captured on the way." He scrapes the last of his bacon into his mouth, chews, and swallows.

"Still, I have no particular urgency to pursue either cause. Chasing down this local mystery may allow us to be present when or if our contact appears. Either way, we can leave word with the innkeeper."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You leave word with the innkeeper that you are waiting for a female elf named Elithoriandala and that you are just heading to Sadin's farm while you wait to see if you can help him with his disappearing livestock problem. The innkeeper gives you directions to the farm and you saddle your horses and head out.

It takes about half an hour to ride out. It is still early, but the fields are already bustling with activity. As you approach the farmhouse, you hear the rhythmic sound of hammer on iron. A young man on horseback rides it to meet you. Dartanjan recognizes him as Par Sadin Jr.

"Dartanjan! What brings you out to our humble farm?" He grins slyly. "Come to lose more of your money?"

18. - Top - End - #288

BlackDragon

"If it isn't the card shark himself! " Dartanjan waves back good naturedly. "I was hoping you wouldn't mind letting me put a couple of arrows into that mystery thief of yours." Dartanjan reaches over his shoulder and taps the top of the bow resting on his back.

"Would you be willing to show us where these disappearances have been taking place?"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Par "Sure, if you like. We lost another sheep last night. Like usual, no one saw anything and we couldn't find any tracks."

You leave your horses with one of the farmhands and Par leads you to the sheep pens.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mind the teeth, he's a biter!" Victor follows along, pondering the mystery of their contact's absence. As he walks, he murmurs a short prayer and makes a sign with his hand, at tuning his eyes to see magical energies as he walks.

To Dartanjan, as they walk, he murmurs: "Do the talking here. I'll keep my eyes open and look for any signs of what might be happening."

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Cast Detect Magic

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You detect no magical auras.

Roll me a Knowledge: Arcana.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20)[20] Knowledge Arcana

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You seem to recall that the auras all but very powerful magics fade fairly quickly.

24. - Top - End - #294

BlackDragon

Dartanjan chews absentmindely on a blade of grass as he converses with Par Sadin Jr. "I got three questions to start." He says as he gestures around with the blade of grass like a teachers ruler. "How many people could the stolen livestock feed. Are there any stories about mythical monsters stealing livestock that you know of, and finally have you gotten on the bad side of any wizards lately?"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Par thinks for a moment. "We lose enough to feed maybe three or four humans. Can't think of any creatures it could be that don't leave tracks. We thought maybe it was something with wings, but none of the men have seen any signs of that. As for wizards, we always show them respect when they're in town."
    Last edited by KhornetheGrim; 2016-12-12 at 08:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296

BlackDragon

Dartanjan thinks for a moment.

"Well. My first conclusions are threefold. One. The predator or thieves are not killing your flock maliciously so I think it fair to rule out some form of personal vendetta. Two. That leaves instinct or survival. You said that there are no traces which rules out most natural predators as there would in most cases be blood at the point of the kill, not to mention noise from the kill if they flew off with one and killed it elsewhere which your workers would have clearly heard. Three. We are left with either something that can pop in and out of this plane that's more primal, or some woodsman who knows how to leave no traces of a kill. Maybe the outlaw group that is harassing travelers has either a woodsman or a mage who could accomplish this? Either that or there are some folks taking refuge in your forest. Does anyone fancy a stole into the wicked woods?" Dartanjan flashes a wicked smile.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Par "Hmmm... I didn't think of the forest. We used to have some problems with kobolds and bugbears raiding the farms, but not since the town cut back the edge of the forest and hired some mercenaries from Dalkin to take care of the worst of the tribes. You think some of the Son's of Hethber might have made it this far south?"

28. - Top - End - #298

BlackDragon

Dartanjan puts on serious face. "Once you ruled out the impossible, the improbable, regardless of how unlikely, is your answer. ...That or magic."

I just want to take one look at the places where the animals were stolen "from and then we should be off. Don't you think my burly friend?" Dartanjan looks over at Victor and winks.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Victor followed the conversation, nodding and keeping an eye on those around. His shield, worn on his left arm, was much lighter than he was used to and this rarity of having someone else to speak was giving him the opportunity to accustom himself to its weight and heft.

At Dartanjan's words, he smiles. "Yes, let us see the site of the thefts and then hunt down those responsible. It will fill the time while we wait."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Par shows the two of you around the farm to where they keep the chickens, pigs, and sheep, pointing out which pens have had animals go missing from.

I'd like both of you to roll me both a Search check and a Spot check.