New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Heart of Stone

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Heart of Stone

I'm going to take 20 on it, I want the skins to be in very good condition. So 23.

If taking 20 is not an option, then (1d20+3)[20]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Can't take 20 on this one because you cannot retry if you fail. But that was a damned fine roll anyway, so you now have 2 complete wolf pelts. It takes you a bit to get the horse used to the spell of wolf and death, but you eventually convince it that the pelts will not try to eat it and are once again on your way. By around mid-morning of the following day (so the day after you got attacked) you find the road again.

A few days later, as you are getting close to exiting the forest, an arrow appears in the ground a short ways in front of you and you hear a voice shout "That's far enough!"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I guide Horse to stop, resting my loaded crossbow gently across the saddle-horn.

"It would seem that this is indeed far enough. Now that I have stopped, is there something in particular you want of me?"

I scan the surrounding area to see if I can spot both who is speaking, and where the arrow came from.

(1d20+6)[16] Spot

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A man in forest garb steps out onto the path a ways ahead of you. He has a longbow with an arrow nocked, but not drawn. To your left you spot another man in similar garb hiding behind a tree.

The man on the path in front of you smiles in a friendly fashion. "Your valuables, if you please. And don't think of attacking me. You are quite surrounded, I assure you. Co-operate and you will not be harmed."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

I casually eye the man up and down, arching an eyebrow. I keep the hidden man to the side in my line of sight, but make no indication that I am aware of his presence. I keep my crossbow ready and aimed in the direction of the man who stepped out, ready to loose the bolt should he lift his bow or make any signal to attack, or if the hidden man makes an offensive move.

"Really now, are you sure you want to do this? See behind me, the two naked wolf carcasses? Last night they tried to come and eat Horse here while I was sleeping, without armor on, and look what happened to them. You, on the other hand..." I pause, again looking him up and down, "are not a wolf, and are not armored. I am fully armored, and am on my horse rather than on the ground."

I chuckle, a deep base sound in the back of my throat. "It hardly seems a fair match, with me on my horse and in armor, and you on the ground. Let's make it a bit more fair for you." I kick my foot out of the stirrup and bring it over my horses head so that I can slip out of the saddle while still facing the bandit. "Now, I am on the ground, and I have my crossbow here all loaded and aimed at your tender bits. You do not have your arrow ready, and would be well advised to keep it that way." I roll my shoulders, intentionally popping and flexing as the armor shifts comfortably. "Now, friend, why don't you put down your little bow and run away like a good boy. If you're fast, I won't even try to shoot you as you go!"

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    (1d20+6)[14] Intimidate

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The man looks less sure, but is not backing down.

"Looks like we do this the hard way." And he dives to the side, rolls and comes up with bow drawn.

Make your readied attack then roll initiative.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+2)[10] for (1d8)[1] Damage

(1d20+1)[15] Initiative

"As you wish, fool! Then decide! Sword or Hammer?"

Spoiler: Maneuvers
    Show
    (1d5)[4] Stone Bones
    (1d4)[1] Crusader's Strike
    (1d3)[1] Vanguard Strike
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-30 at 02:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

First action is yours.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Cursing as, for the second time, my loosed bolt sails past its intended target, I drop my crossbow and step forward, swinging my shield into place and drawing my sword (as part of my move action). "You had best pray to whatever god you worship, fool, to guide your blows. My bones are STONE!" As I shout, I bring my sword down in a mighty slash.

(1d20+6)[20] for (1d8+5)[8] damage, activating my Stone Bones maneuver.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-30 at 02:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You draw your sword and lunge forward, burying your blade in the bandit.

The bandit, whom you assume to be the leader of this group, growls out a curse, steps back and looses his arrow but, like your bolt, it goes wide.

You hear a bunch of noise behind you. A quick glance around reveals another archer to either side of the road, both loosing arrows, and a large, axe-wielding brute steps onto the road and charges you.

Both arrows whiz by you.

The brute, who you can now tell has Orc blood, takes a mighty swing at you, slashing you for 6 points of damage.

The one you attacked drops his bow and, in a flash of movement, draws a pair of short swords.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

"Gaah! Damn you!"

I draw back and lunge forward, stamping down and extending to take his throat with my blade.

Activating Crusader Strike.

(1d20+6)[17] for (1d8+5)[8] damage.

Maneuver gained: (1d2)[1] Charging Minotaur

I also heal 2 for my stance, and 5 for my Crusader strike (rolled separately)
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-30 at 05:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The rogue drops to the ground, clutching at his throat as his lifeblood spurts out over the ground.

Seeing their leader go down, the half-orc's eyes go wild and he lets out a bellow of inhuman rage as he takes a vicious swing at you with his ax. The blow connects, biting through your armor. (take another 10 damage)

Another pair of arrows come flying at you, one again flying wide but the other burying itself in your thigh. (That's another 2 damage)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

I bellow in pain and slash at the Orc, pulling the blow just enough to grant myself some extra breathing room.

(1d20+5)[6] for (1d8+5)[10] damage, gaining 2 hit points and 2 temporary hit points.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The half-orc grins and takes another swing at you, but you nimbly step out of the way. The arrow whizzes by you and the second shatters against your armor.

You hear one of the archers shout "Get 'im, Grok!"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Refreshing Maneuvers
    Show
    (1d5)[5]Douse the Flames
    (1d4)[2]Vanguard Strike
    (1d3)[2] Charging Minotaur
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-31 at 10:40 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

"Grok, is it? Well, we'll just see how well you 'get 'im'!"

I bring my sword around in a vicious slash, trying to beat down his defenses.

Activate Douse the Flames. (1d20+6)[23] for (1d8+5)[11] damage.

If I think I can get to the other side of one of the archers (thus blocking a charging line for Grok) I do so.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-31 at 11:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your sword cleave's through Grok's hide armor, sending blood flying through the air.

Though badly wounded, Grok seems to not notice and comes at you again, bellowing madly, but again you are too nimble for him and move deftly out of the way of the ax blade.

By now expecting the pair of arrows, you brace behind your shield and feel both shafts shatter against it.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d2)[2]

I laugh as the brute's axe swings wide, spurring him to more foolish anger.

I stamp hard as I thrust with my sword, trusting in the strength of stone to protect me from the next swings.

Activate Stone Bones and using Stone Power (-1 on the to hit role, +2 Temporary HP), (1d20+6)[24] for (1d8+5)[6] damage (Granting me DR 5/Adamantium).

I deleted the healing role as it wasn't valid.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-31 at 12:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You lunge in, aiming low. Your sword pierces the flesh of the Orc's inner thigh, severing the artery there. His lifeblood quickly spilling out, the Orc's ax slips from his fingers as he slumps to the ground.

Seeing two of their companions taken out within a span of about 20 seconds, the two archers lose their will to fight and bolt into the woods.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For this encounter and the one with the wolves, you get a total of 1800 xp.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

As I was already moving towards them, I raise my sword and shout: "Halt! Stand, or I will cut you down."

(1d20+6)[23] intimidate, plus any situational modifiers.

"I guarantee you that I can run faster angry than you can scared."

I ready an action to Charging Minotaur the one that I'm close to if he runs, with the intent to do subdual damage.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As they are running in different directions, they seem to have the same idea; you can only chase one of them. Neither slows his flight.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ireal blind your fool eyes, stop!"

I activate my Charging Minotaur maneuver, angling my shield to throw him into a tree, aiming to stun rather than slay him.

(1d20+9)[12] Str check for bull rush.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You just barely made that Str check. Roll your Charging Minotaur damage.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

(2d6+5)[11] Subdual damage.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Luck is on your side. You slam your shield into the fleeing bandit and send him careening into a tree (I'm assuming here that you had chosen to deal subdual damage). The bandit slams his head into the tree trunk, staggers drunkenly, but continues trying to escape you.

You feel the sharp stab of an arrow in your back as the other archer takes a pot-shot at you while you chase his companion. Take 3 damage from the arrow.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

I thrust my sword into the ground and grab the fool, whipping him around to hold him between me and the other. "Hold, blast you! I just want to talk, you fools!"

(1d20+6)[9] touch attack.
    (1d20+6)[7] grapple check.

He'd get an attack of opportunity if he was wielding a melee weapon.

Or I try to do this. I still say the same thing, though.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2016-03-31 at 04:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You manage to maneuver this archer in between you and the other archer. He pulls a short sword and holds it defensively in front of him. You can tell by the way he handles it that it is unfamiliar in his hands.

"I got a wife and son. Just let me go. We wasn't going to hurt you if you co-operated!"

You can see the other archer resume his escape, moving nimbly through the undergrowth.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

"I should let you go, for what? Banditry has fierce repercussions. Why make your living taking money from innocent travelers?"

I shake my head and retrieve my sword, keeping an eye on Horse to make sure no one has run off with her.

"I will make you a deal. If you can provide me with useful information, then I shall let you go with your sworn word to never turn to banditry again. If not..." I let the moment hang.

"What can you tell me about this woman prophet who is taking people possessions?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

(I rolled you a diplomacy check. Natural 20.)

He eyes you cautiously, keeping his sword at the ready, buy dues seem to relax a bit when you don't try to murder him.

"You mean that silver-haired witch what's been talking bout saving folks' souls if they gives up their jewelry and money?"

He spits on the ground.

"That trollop is why I had ta take up theivin'. She done talked my wife into giving her all our savings. I haven't et in two days now."