Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Heart of Stone

Everything about her seems genuine.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

I pause for a long moment.

"I believe you. Explain to me two things, if you would. How are you able to appear here, without any sign of magic or the like? I ask this mostly for my own curiosity. The second question is in regards to the sacrifice of personal wealth to your cause. Why this push for people to give up the material? Must we live in poverty to enter this celestial realm?"

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Voice smiles slyly. "Oh, I use magic of a sort. Before the wizards from Dalkin started looking for me anyone with training in magic would have been able to see the spells I was using. But after I was forced into hiding the Angels gifted me with an artifact that allows me to speak through spirits of air, as I am doing now."

"As for the trinkets freely given up by my followers, it is far less about giving up wealth and much more about giving up the trappings of wealth. When we give up all of the little baubles that show our wealth and position it becomes much easier to see each other as equals. We are none of us above any of the others. Giving up your signs of wealth like fancy jewelry or clothing is simply a way of showing all that you do not consider yourself to be above anyone else."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

I grunt. "And what of those who give you all their worldly possessions, all their money? Those who are left with no way to support their families, who are forced to turn to banditry in order to survive? What of those who fell under my blade on the road outside this city as they tried to rob me, simply due to their own lack of food and means? If you receive without judgement, without consideration, you do no service to those you propose to save." I take a few steps forward in the energy of my words, until I am standing quite close to the Voice.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The smile fades from her lips. "I have never asked anyone to give over all of their worldly possessions, nor any money. Even under our so-called benevolent Gods, people turn to banditry. Have you ever blamed Sorranethea for this? Ireal? Wendoshin?

Those who follow my path are supported by the others who follow my path. If one of us is hungry, there is another with food to share. Perhaps the bandits you apparently slew were being taken by another who merely claimed to speak for me." She takes a step closer herself. "Perhaps you, the one with blood on his hands, should ask why those poor souls had to lose their lives."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

I stand firm, looking her with my cold amethyst eyes. "They died because they chose to attempt to take what was not theirs, ignored my warnings, and attempted to take my life from me. Those that chose to surrender or flee were allowed to live, and the one that chose to speak with me was well rewarded for his services and information. I sent him home to re-establish himself."

I pause, taking a moment to read her face as best I can. "I would meet you in person. This form of speaking may be effective, but it lacks much of the personal. What say you?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Given how quickly you turned to accusations, I am hesitant to extend that level of trust. What assurances do I have that this isn't some trick to lure me out into the open? The wizards from Dalkin have tried similar tactics before."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

"It is interesting to me that you felt accused, and that you feel the need to hide against the risk of being drawn out. I am intending neither of those things. Instead, I am seeking understanding. If, as you say, you mean nothing but good things for the people there is no reason to hide, and no reason to fear me. If your intention is otherwise, then hiding will do you no good and you will face me in recompense for your crimes. Regardless, I would meet you. Swayed, I would be a powerful force for your movement. I do not believe that through this image, however, you will be able to move me to your faith."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think I will need either a Diplomacy check or an Intimidate check from you. Given the way you just worded things, I will accept either. Your choice (I expect you'll go Diplomacy for some reason. :p )

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Diplomacy! (1d20+9)[20]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"You ask me why I feel accused and then threaten me with facing your punishment if you feel I am acting wrongly. As for needing to hide, have you ever been hunted for trying to help people, Victor? I hide because to do otherwise would lead to me being captured by the wizards from Dalkin and likely being either executed or locked in a cell for the rest of my life. The intent behind by actions does nothing to affect this outcome.

"Victor, I gave up everything to walk this path. I walked away from a wealthy family and a career with the very mages now hunting for me. The signs of wealth that we sacrifice do not come to me. They go directly to the Angels. My life has only gotten more difficult since I became their voice.

"Allies are something I could use more of, but I still must be cautions. One of my companions is preparing to investigate rumors of an ancient, ruined temple. If you would like to meet me in person, I would ask that you first accompany my companion on this mission. If, when you return, my companion is willing to vouch for you, then we will meet and talk."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

"This would work well for us both, I think. A chance for both of us to learn of each other. Where and when should I be meeting this stranger?"

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Her name is Elithoriandala. I will have her wait for you at the Flaming Scepter in the town of Brin. By the time you arrive she should have the necessary provisions ready."

Brin is a decent-sized town roughly a half-day's travel east of Dalkin. You are currently to the south-west of Dalkin.
    Last edited by KhornetheGrim; 2016-06-30 at 10:29 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

"Then I shall meet this Elithoriandala as soon as possible, and we shall venture forth to explore this ruin." I nod my head decisively. "If there is nothing else, I shall begin my journey. I have some small business to complete on the way to Brin, and the sooner I leave the sooner I can join your associate and we can both prove ourselves."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"I hope for your sake that your intentions are honest. Elithoriandala is very perceptive and not very forgiving. But if you are true to your word, you will find her a resourceful and loyal companion. I look forward to hearing of your success."

And with that The Voice vanishes and you continue on your way.

You make good time getting to Orindal, the next stop on Misha's route, and head to the inn to see if he is still there.

After a quick check through the inn and stables, you find no sign of Misha or his caravan.
    Last edited by KhornetheGrim; 2016-07-08 at 11:06 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

I check with the innkeeper and with anyone in the merchant district to see if Misha has been through recently.

(1d20+2)[12] Gather Information

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The innkeeper looks at you. "Ahh, you must be that Vitor fellow that Misha was waiting for. You just missed him. Him and his team rode our with the dawn this morning. He don't move very fast, though, especially being down a horse. If you leave now you might catch him before dark."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you, friend. I shall indeed ride hard and catch them on the road." I bow and press fist to chest, then turn and leave, mounting Horse and making my way down the road.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You mount up and head out after Misha, pushing the horse harder than normal, but still not too hard. It is a few hours from dusk when you spot a dust trail rising from the road a ways ahead. As you get closer, you recognize the back-end of Misha's caravan.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

I do not slow as I approach, instead raising a hand to waive a greeting to the rear guard. The wolfs head cloak is raised, and the heavy fur is lifted by the speed of my passage. I reign in as I near where the guard master would normally walk, matching the pace of the caravan. "Ho the caravan! I am returned. Is Misha about?"

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You see Stannic, the dour old dwarf, riding beside the caravan as you approach. You know he recognizes you as you get closer because he lowers his crossbow. His expression does not otherwise alter.

"You made it back. Was wonderin' if you'd bother." He nods at your cloak. "Took time to do some shoppin', I see. Misha's ridin' on the wagon up front."

The other guards greet you warmly, asking about and complimenting you on your cloak as you ride forward to speak to Misha.

Misha lights up at the sight of you. "Friend Victor! You made it back to us, and in one piece I see! And with such a fine cloak! Come, tell me of your adventures!"

Misha is as friendly and gregarious as you remember.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

I smile in greeting as I slow Horse to match the pace of the wagon.

"In truth, my journey was fruitful indeed. I found the opportunity to rid the path of some dangers to travelers, the results of one such danger has become the cape you admire. In the village, I discovered that there is indeed a presence there encouraging the common folk to embrace a life of poverty and spiritual piety without following a specific god or goddess. It is disturbing. I am working on discovering the source of this influence, as even the prophetess, who seems quite sincere, seems to be under an influence. She mentioned searching astrally for guidance or the like, and finding... something the like of angels."

I shake my head. "In any case, I now travel with you as far as Dalkin. From there, I must make my way to Brin to meet one of the Prophet's agents. But enough about me! How went your business, Misha? Many profits made?"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Misha looks solemn. "I can't say I abide people turning away from the Gods. No good can come from that. Even th dark ones like Xandrondil and Skola have their purpose.

"This prophetess came into contact with angels, you say? And... these angels are leading her way from the Gods? That seems strange, indeed. You were right to look into it. You have good instincts, lad." He claps you on the back in a friendly, encouraging manner. "I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of this.

"As for business, I managed to make a reasonable profit. And speaking of business, if you are heading to Brin anyway I may have some goods to send with you. My brother-in-law has a store in Brin and I send him supplies on occasion. Can't stand the cretin, to be honest, but it keeps the wife happy."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

I laugh in a friendly way, nodding agreeably. "I would be happy to carry supplies to your family in Brin, Misha. Speaking of business, however, there are a few things I would like to discuss. I came across some items of value on my trip which I would be interested in selling. I also found some items of magical nature which I need identified if that is a skill you possess. Last but not least is the matter of this fine beast here!" I reach down to pat Horses' neck.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Misha's eyes light up when you mention having items to sell. "Well now, I would be happy to look at what you've got. I've no skill at magic myself, but I do know someone in Dalkin who will give a good rate. What sort of items are you looking to sell?"

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

I pull the strings on the pouch tied to my belt, lifting it up to show the assortment of jewelry within. The magical items are tucked safely under my armor, in a small pocket.

"These five rings and three necklaces I would like to sell, or trade for services in identifying the magical items I discovered."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Misha pulls a jeweler's loop from his vest and examines the items carefully. He tucks the jeweler's loop away and thinks for a moment. "For you? I can give 60 gold for the lot. Now, you also indicated that you would be interested in purchasing the horse you ride. To be honest, my friend, I will have to say no. She is an older horse and unsuited to hard riding. But let us see what we can do for you in Dalkin. I know a few horse merchants and I would be happy to represent you in a trade! It is the least I can do for such an honest young man as yourself."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20+5)[15] Sense Motive

Looking to see how honest he is being in his assessment.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You know they are worth more, but you are also selling to someone who has to resell them in turn. You don't get the impression he is trying to rip you off, but you also know Misha loves to haggle.