New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: IC - The Return

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default IC - The Return

OOC Thread
    As though waking, your final memories before finding yourself here are the last moments of your previous life.

You notice however, that you lack aches, or pains. And any old injuries which may have once bothered you appear to be gone.

Time appears frozen within your immediately area, beneath your feet the grass cracks as though frozen despire the warm temperature of the air, and the vibrant green of the blades.

Above you sits a pale blue, almost grey sky, a far cry from the deep blue of your memories. The sun beats on your back, unpleasantly hot through your clothes, a slight stinging sensation accompanies it.

To your right and left as those around you begin to mill you notice others of many races, no two seemingly in the same styles of clothing or armor. A woman wearing flames with a very long handled hammer, a halfling dressed as a warrior wielding a spear and a shield almost as large as herself, a very thin and unusually tall man holding a book in one hand, a very strange elf holding a bow with two strings, a kobold with a buckler and a spear, mounted on a Warg, or the like.

In the direction you face is a black wall of some sort slowly creeping towards the line of those gathered. Even with the birds in the sky standing still.

People check themselves and their belongings, some look with troubled expressions towards the encroaching wall, others begin backing away slowly.

What you do notice however, aside from the gradually increasing commotion is that whatever that wall may it, it appears to be accelerating.
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2016-06-02 at 02:13 PM.
    Internet currently unreliable, please have patience.

[COLOR="Red"]We require additional Pylons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric(2)/Monk(3)/Ranger(2)/Sorcerer(4)
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: IC - The Return

I exhale the breath from my lungs and breathe deep, in through my nostrils, I try to get a sense of the general emotions of the crowd. I am also trying to figure out if the area around me is some sort of illusion, perhaps if the land doesn't smell right, or the grass having no scent.

(1d20+8)[20] (since I am not tracking I didn't include the additional +4)
    Iron chef accomplishments
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in
    Amonkhet: Trials of the Gods

Awesome avatar by Linklele! - currently seeking new avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

stroud looking in disbelief at the wall that seems to be getting closer and that none of these others seem to be overly worried at the moment
    Spoiler: checks
    Show

Will save to disbelieve that wall is real and must be an illusion.
    (1d20+4)[6]

edit*
    stroud thinks the wall is fairly real, and will gather his things and start walking away from the wall that seems to be approaching.
    Last edited by samduke; 2016-06-02 at 05:28 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Pale lights blink to life- the twin marbles that provide Iris sight have awoken.

She (it?) startles, caught up in her fabrics and metals where most have flesh and bone. A glance up provides a momentary distraction- the encroaching wall, an obsidian blot on the land. She wracks her itemized (heh) memories in search of an answer.

Spoiler: Knowledge: Arcana
    Show
    [/roll]1d20+10[/roll]
    Er... check OOC. Oops.
    Last edited by cecil1994; 2016-06-02 at 05:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Gloria blinks. What the hell?

Looking around, she sees many strange folk but none who look like they know what's going on.

Myow. "It's all right, Rusty. I'm here for you, whatever happens."

The birds! Guess I'd better not try flying over the 'wall'. Maybe it's a magic effect like whatever brought us here ...

ooc: perception (1d20+11)[22], spellcraft (1d20+15)[26]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"Stars and stones, all here seem as bemused as chicks dropped into a stream, though not nearly as wet. I should ask the spirits if answers are to be had." Jal mounts up and balances marked knucklebones before him on Dusty's back before lighting a stub of incense. "Away for now, slow if you please," he addresses Dusty." Black as char, veil of night, beyond the line do dragons fight?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Augury asking what happens if he enters the black wall. 76% chance of a meaningful answer, usually rolled by the GM. Details here; notably it takes a minute to cast.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by arkangel111 View Post
    I exhale the breath from my lungs and breathe deep, in through my nostrils, I try to get a sense of the general emotions of the crowd. I am also trying to figure out if the area around me is some sort of illusion, perhaps if the land doesn't smell right, or the grass having no scent.

[roll0] (since I am not tracking I didn't include the additional +4)
    There is no smell, aside from the smells of the people and animals moving around nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    stroud looking in disbelief at the wall that seems to be getting closer and that none of these others seem to be overly worried at the moment
    Spoiler: checks
    Show

Will save to disbelieve that wall is real and must be an illusion.
    [roll0]

edit*
    stroud thinks the wall is fairly real, and will gather his things and start walking away from the wall that seems to be approaching.
    You begin moving away, so do many others.

Quote Originally Posted by cecil1994 View Post
    Pale lights blink to life- the twin marbles that provide Iris sight have awoken.

She (it?) startles, caught up in her fabrics and metals where most have flesh and bone. A glance up provides a momentary distraction- the encroaching wall, an obsidian blot on the land. She wracks her itemized (heh) memories in search of an answer.

Spoiler: Knowledge: Arcana
    Show
    [/roll]1d20+10[/roll]
    Er... check OOC. Oops.
    Without detecting it's aura it is difficult to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    Gloria blinks. What the hell?

Looking around, she sees many strange folk but none who look like they know what's going on.

Myow. "It's all right, Rusty. I'm here for you, whatever happens."

The birds! Guess I'd better not try flying over the 'wall'. Maybe it's a magic effect like whatever brought us here ...

ooc: perception [roll0], spellcraft [roll1]
    It is definitely something, you're fairly certain it is some sort of magical effect. Probably somehow related to the apparent temporal entropy in your immediate environment.

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    "Stars and stones, all here seem as bemused as chicks dropped into a stream, though not nearly as wet. I should ask the spirits if answers are to be had." Jal mounts up and balances marked knucklebones before him on Dusty's back before lighting a stub of incense. "Away for now, slow if you please," he addresses Dusty." Black as char, veil of night, beyond the line do dragons fight?"

Show
    Augury asking what happens if he enters the black wall. 76% chance of a meaningful answer, usually rolled by the GM. Details here; notably it takes a minute to cast.
    "Yes." Is the answer you receive, since you phrased a question, the question is answered.

The wall is now approximately 70' away and accelerating.

Some of the mages in the immediate area attempt to teleport away, only to discover they no longer possess that ability, they are quite obviously appalled. Others attempt using items not on their person, some attempt to use other means of transportation only to find themselves incapable of escaping through their various portals.

A number of druids and monks sit down in a circle and converse calmly as the wall continuously encroaches.

You have about 18 seconds before the wall is upon you.
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2016-06-03 at 06:19 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Jal opens his eyes wide and clutches at his holy symbol. "Dragons? Not just weal or woe, but yes, Dragons? Dusty, never tell me poetry is a waste of time again." The wolf shrugs back at him.

"Ho, all! There may be much on the far side of this wall, but for sure there are dragons who will want the aid of their faithful, or at least witnesses to their glory! Onward!" the halfling servant of dragons readies a javelin, mutters a prayer, and urges his mount across the dark wall.

Show
    casting Divine Favor on himself following his speech. In case there needs a diplomacy roll to see how the speech went down, (1d20+15)[24]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Iris takes one last look at the barreling wall... and books it.

Show
    She's taking full run actions to get the Hell out of dodge. 200ft a round, with no sign of slowing.

Oh, a note- I'm .34 mph much slower than Usain Bolt.
    *not going fast*
    Last edited by cecil1994; 2016-06-03 at 11:38 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

I am pretty sure its futile but I disbelieve the illusion just the same.

Show
    Will save (1d20+4)[15]
    Note: in the illusion school it says if proof (no smell) is provided the illusion is false no roll required. Though I have a feeling this is more than a mere illusion. Whether it succeeds or fails Dogg is convinced this is merely a vision and nothing more.

Should the vision fail to disappear. I'll make my way to the gathered druids and take my place in their circle. As I walk over I will dump all of my Essentia (2) into blinkshirt and attempt to teleport with it though only a few feet, just to see if it works. Sitting quietly and watching as this strange vision unfolds. Whether it is from the gods or some strange fever dream from my injuries in life, this vision seems somehow important. Dogg will sit quietly and listen to the druids. Taking note of the strange reactions of man. So inconsistent in their behaviors.

Looking around do I see anyone out of place? Perception (1d20+10)[17]. I know the description didn't include it but, are there normal people standing around? cooks, maids, blacksmiths or children and the like?
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in

11. - Top - End - #11

I am pretty sure its futile but I disbelieve the illusion just the same.

Show
    Will save [roll0]
    Note: in the illusion school it says if proof (no smell) is provided the illusion is false no roll required. Though I have a feeling this is more than a mere illusion. Whether it succeeds or fails Dogg is convinced this is merely a vision and nothing more.

Should the vision fail to disappear. I'll make my way to the gathered druids and take my place in their circle. As I walk over I will dump all of my Essentia (2) into blinkshirt and attempt to teleport with it though only a few feet, just to see if it works. Sitting quietly and watching as this strange vision unfolds. Whether it is from the gods or some strange fever dream from my injuries in life, this vision seems somehow important. Dogg will sit quietly and listen to the druids. Taking note of the strange reactions of man. So inconsistent in their behaviors.

Looking around do I see anyone out of place? Perception [roll1]. I know the description didn't include it but, are there normal people standing around? cooks, maids, blacksmiths or children and the like?
    Out of place?

You see a bunch of clothing running away from the wall... Just clothing, no one in it.

So far as basic professions, many people appear to fit the idea.

The druids and monks are talking about life, it's meaning, and that if the wall is what is seen after one dies, there is little point in running, and since no edge is seen in the distance, there is little point in running. They appear to have accepted that whatever it is is inevitable.

The barrier is now 55 feet from the 'line' which has broken with various people apparently attempting to run away from it.

It is now moving 35 feet per round, where it was moving 10 feet per round a mere two rounds ago. Run faster.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

stroud in looking back notices that the walls speed has increased, and goes from double move to flat run ( 80ft a round )

13. - Top - End - #13

The men speak sense for once. If this is death then I will stand and face it with dignity. Though the sock puppet has me curious I will not be seen running from death. I will stand apart from the other's, as much as possible and face the looming wall of destruction on my own terms.
    I will sit on my haunches and force myself to wait for the end. Contemplating all I have done, the friends I have lost, the pups I shall never have. I am ready death, come get me
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Should I try to run? No ... I will take my chances here with the others Gloria decides.

The slim elven woman begins to hum, sounding out a melody to comfort herself, Rusty, and anyone else who cares to listen as the 'wall' rushes towards them.

15. - Top - End - #15

Each of you, when finally touched by the wall sees something different, yet similar. First time slows, each hair is engulfed in liquid ice, your senses heightened to excruciating detail and you find yourselves aware of every cell within your body as it is enveloped.

The world as of the previous Age, without faith or honor. Nations rising and falling in a near constant state of war over resources, beliefs, technology, land, even plain old greed.

The people seem somehow broken, they move about their lives afraid of each other, and without hope. Those in power view the lives of those 'beneath them' as disposable pawns in their endless games of back and forth.

The gods having watched from the shadows, their powers dwindling suddenly brought forth their avatars once more and brought destruction, and salvation. But were fought against tooth and nail by those uninformed of their purpose, for no one survived that recognized them.

The flash of brilliance fades and you find yourselves performing whatever actions you had before the wall swept over you, still in the same positions, running, or sitting.

The wall however is no longer visible after having passed over you.

You hear the wind, and the sounds of distant birds. The sun beats down less harshly.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"A goal to be sure, changing this terrible state of affairs, but I'll have to think about how to get to it. Maybe for a while..." Jal considers, "For now I must see what is hereabouts and the obvious answer is a horde of those chosen for the same reason. Maybe there's more who honor the Great Dragons?"

He puts his javelin back in the quiver and looks over the others present for signs of someone else with a symbol he might recognise and goes over to hail them if so, and failing that he wanders over to the halfling to make introductions.

Show
    Know. (religion): (1d20+4)[15] + free inspiration (1d6)[4] = 19
    Diplomacy: (1d20+15)[33] + free inspiration (1d6)[3] = 36
    Last edited by avr; 2016-06-04 at 02:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Strange vision. I say softly and to none in particular. Now what about that sock puppet? I look around for the strange creature and make my way to it. Checking along the way to see if my blink shirt is now functional.
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

once the vision has pass stroud realizes that the wall was in his mind an illusion, then turns around and heads back the way he came to see about the others he had first seen.
    Last edited by samduke; 2016-06-04 at 06:25 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

When the wall fades, the loose clothing of Iris' carapace begins to reassemble. The pale light of its eyes blink and take in their surroundings.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+18)[35]

20. - Top - End - #20

Most of those nearby begin to mill in an uncertain manner after the passing of the strange phenomena, Some begin to wander off together, many in similar styles of armor or clothing, similar race, or the like group together.

A derilect fortress, ancient and run down, perhaps a few miles distant is the apparent destination for a group of Dwarves, a nearby forest is where a large number of the druids move, in roughly the same direction as said fortress.

Some a group of halflings and gnomes begin digging into the sides of some nearby hills. Motions is already detectable near the fortress, just how many people were revived?

A large, illusory banner rises above the fortress, obviously intended to draw attention to it, as it is accompanied by the very loud and drawn out call of a horn.

Within eyesight of everyone: A group of old men have gathered and begun arguing heatedly 'No, I am Anarliar!' It seems it will come to magic soon... others quietly move away.
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2016-06-05 at 05:24 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Scanning the crowd for the familiar, Jal picks out one of the group of old men but mutters, "Now, the Archmage might be a little stressed just this moment. Lets not test his patience, who wants to be a frog, much less ash?" Looking on his eye lights on a halfling riding a caribou and he rides over. "Hallo! Looks like we've been chosen to fix the mess our descendants made. I see a lot of teaching ahead, maybe a fight or two. Any plans?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

stroud will walk towards the quarrel, and in general towards the fortress

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Iris' pinpricks of light go cold. She knocks an arrow, and approaches the bastion and the conflict.
    Last edited by cecil1994; 2016-06-05 at 08:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Not seeing a suitable group of elves to join, Gloria heads towards the quarrelsome old men. They have the look of wizards, I think.

She pipes up "Hello! Excuse me. I am Gloria Durant. It would seem that many people from various historical time periods have been somehow been brought to this place. You gentlemen appear wise and I thought, perhaps, can you share any insight into these events?"

ooc: Diplomacy (1d20+6)[13]

25. - Top - End - #25

One of the nearly identical old men turns towards you, harrumphing. "What?!" The group of old men turn in seemingly random directions, looking around, up and down, then back at each other in a semi-comical manner. A different Anarliar answers: "You mean aside from whatever those thrice accursed things have decided to belabor us with?" Another remarks "Obviously we're supposed to somehow divert the apparent path of destruction those stupid mortals have set themselves upon!" Another replies, "I say let them, I'm going to find some means of restoring my powers, and blast the peons back into the stone age." The Anarliars alll start nodding and grumbling agreements. Mixed words make it over the sounds of their apparent argument in some unknown tongue such as 'kill' or 'blast them' or 'ash or frog'. More agreement ensues and the Anarliars, apparently having reached an accord begin making their way towards the fortress. One of them says something that sounds like a spell's chant, and the others begin laughing.

An elf with a double bow, and very fine green tinted elven chainmail nearby says something about 'Mage jokes'... Then resumes the pace, joined shortly by a northern looking arctic elf wielding two swords and a buckler. A group of various Dwarves walks past, with an odd halfling dressed and mannered as a Dwarf mixed among them.

The Halfling mounted on the Caribou shrugs. "Plans should be made after information is gained." She rolls her eyes as though saying the sky is blue, and casts a spell on herself (longstrider) the Caribou takes off like a bullet, and quickly overtakes the old men, tripping one of them as it passes.

He fires a ray of frost in return playfully, and uses prestidigitation to clean himself of the dirt.
    Last edited by Ralasha; 2016-06-05 at 10:12 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

26. - Top - End - #26

Curious about the dirty laundry somehow moving of its own accord. Dogg approaches, stealthily (1d20+9)[10] though not looking aggressive by any means. Sniffing at the strange creature he tries to stay behind it as he can clearly see it holding a weapon.
    Sitting on his haunches behind it he tilts his head to the side What are you? his body language seems to convey.
    Last edited by arkangel111; 2016-06-05 at 02:26 PM.
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Curious about the dirty laundry somehow moving of its own accord. Dogg approaches, stealthily [roll0] though not looking aggressive by any means. Sniffing at the strange creature he tries to stay behind it as he can clearly see it holding a weapon.
    Sitting on his haunches behind it he tilts his head to the side What are you? his body language seems to convey.
    Iris' head swivels around. The rest of its body does not follow suit.

"I... am an elf."

It's (her?) voice quavers, unsure in every intonation. Small buttons fall from her eyes, as blue as the sea.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Gloria sighs, then heads towards the fortress.

29. - Top - End - #29

Spoiler: ooc, the ragamoffin
    Show
    You're making me sad.

Work apparently begin in the decrepit fortress, which upon slightly closer inspection appears to have at one time been a town. (One of you thinks they might remember it from the Age of Man, at least once it's reached.)

Blocks are being levered back into place, the dust of ages, rotten wood, and weeds are being cleared, ancient furniture restored... wooden flooring made to grow, which is then shaven back down with axe bits and sword blades.

Other work is being performed restoring the ancient stronghold to livable condition at a rather surprisingly rapid pace, even from a distance the walls' increase in height and regularity is visible.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

30. - Top - End - #30

Clearly the laundry is confused. What era do these sock people come from anyways? Did elves mate with a shirt to produce these creatures? It would certainly explain the things confusion. These are the thoughts that flash through his mind as he considers his next action.
    He looks toward the fortress in the distance and back to the arguing wizards. Its better to be far from wizards when they are angry. He takes off at an easy lope towards the fortress, giving the wizards a wide berth, hoping it will give him clues to why the gods granted him a new life.

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry about that last post i used the wrong color! speaking of colors! I vote the DM gets a new color, that yellow is painful to my eyes and almost impossible to read against the light background
    Last edited by arkangel111; 2016-06-05 at 10:40 PM.
    Czar Hail tied for 2nd

Games I'm in